Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Goons hate Prompto because unlike them he was successful with his weight loss goals. :colbert:

Prompto is horrible, loud, clumsy and stupid and I love him so much.

Btw can we all agree that "It's bedtime..." is Noct's catchphrase by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The fact that there's a separate MP3 player is pretty much proof of how long this game has been in development.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yodzilla posted:

The fact that there's a separate MP3 player is pretty much proof of how long this game has been in development.

Does the fact it was only added in the day one patch help or hinder your point? :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it was added in like, the last few weeks before release because of feedback.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Yodzilla posted:

Sony is selling a FFXV-branded Walkman. It's a Japan thing, not a 2006 thing.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Prompto is my boyfriend.

I have no idea how the pinball game works. Am I doing well? Am I getting prizes? What is going on?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't understand how this game looks worse than xcx at times and yet has worse loading times. Square is not good at optimization

Also does prompto's camera only hold 10 pics at a time?

It's not unusual for games undergoing a lengthy development cycle or a reboot to have game assets of varying quality. Dragon Age Origins had very low polygon assets shown right next to character models with modern shaders and lighting.

Yodzilla posted:

I'd say it's the fact that a group of millennials learn that their home country is under attack through a freshly minted newspaper instead of the twitterfeed on their smart phones. This game should have something like Chirper from City Skylines.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

AlphaKretin posted:

Does the fact it was only added in the day one patch help or hinder your point? :v:

Argh my snark.

I tried the auto crossbow with Noctis and I have no idea what the gently caress I was supposed to do with it. I thought auto would mean that I should just hold down the attack button and it'll fire off a stream of projectiles but it seems like there's some kinda charge mechanic? It seemed to barely do anything regardless.

e: also Prompto spinning in a circle with the Bio Blaster smoking out his bros is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 2, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Argh my snark.

I tried the auto crossbow with Noctis and I have no idea what the gently caress I was supposed to do with it. I thought auto would mean that I should just hold down the attack button and it'll fire off a stream of projectiles but it seems like there's some kinda charge mechanic? It seemed to barely do anything regardless.

e: also Prompto spinning in a circle with the Bio Blaster smoking out his bros is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen

Machinery is better left in Prompto's hands. It's too restrictive to use with Noctis.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

T H A T S I T

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Prompto's weapons are best left to Prompto. Even guns feel like they just don't have enough range and you're better off warp-striking most of the time.

I don't think I've been in a situation where I feel like I have to use a shield, so I don't even know what they do in the hands of Noctis. Just swords/greatswords/daggers/lances all day.

Funny how Ignis has the best weapons but worst damage.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Shields augment Blink so that it recharges HP, I believe.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, I haven't really spend much time thinking about FFXV after I learned the game is a total sausage fest, which killed my interest dead. Now that the game is out, are there really zero women characters? It's all just that dude and his friends, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Magic update: I still blow up all my bros with it when I use it so whoever is telling me they barely take any damage from it needs to tell me why.

They really should have just turned off friendly fire with it, it's not strong enough to give it such a huge drawback.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My Chocobo's name is Chocofriend because he's a chocobo and he's my friend.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Levantine posted:

My Chocobo's name is Chocofriend because he's a chocobo and he's my friend.

Mine is Boko because I'm a sucker for the classics. Maybe I should name it Odin though, since I opted for white. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Libluini posted:

So, I haven't really spend much time thinking about FFXV after I learned the game is a total sausage fest, which killed my interest dead. Now that the game is out, are there really zero women characters? It's all just that dude and his friends, right?

Women exist in the world of FFXV.

You just can't have them in your party (other than as guests).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't stop doing side quests, help

more like dICK posted:

Prompto is my boyfriend.

I have no idea how the pinball game works. Am I doing well? Am I getting prizes? What is going on?

I played it for awhile, got bored and ended my game. It gave me a hi-potion for how far I got. I'm assuming prizes are better the further you get.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So far the only woman of color I've met is a quirky scientist, which is a small change of pace.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 2, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

I can't stop doing side quests, help

I played it for awhile, got bored and ended my game. It gave me a hi-potion for how far I got. I'm assuming prizes are better the further you get.

From what I've heard, getting 90+ chests gets you a +30% elemental resist accessory.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Just had a side interaction w Prompto sitting atop an advertising sign:

Prompto: "I just don't think I'm cool enough to hang out with you guys!!!"
Me, on My Couch: "Nah man you're alright you just need some more health"

Anyway he's the best because collecting silly pictures of my adventures is really making me more connected to this boy band road trip

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I like Prompto but he is not a very good photographer, at least in my game

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I asked Prompto to start taking more photos of me, and sure enough the next night it's all Noctis.

I mean, I sure as hell wasn't telling him to take more photos of Ignis.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yea for me he's either on point or really bad and I'm not sure which I prefer. I wish he'd show me th epicture of me on the bench w the plastic penguin tho.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Traxis posted:

Are there more FF VII tracks besides what you start with? The lack of the Shinra theme, Cid's theme and WEAPON raid songs among others is upsetting.

I sincerely hope that the Wall Market dub song is in there somewhere, as that's my favorite piece of music from VII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maN5Yqa4eNA

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, that was what I was talking about, sorry about being unclear. Too bad then, I think having no playable women-characters is kind of boring.

Welp, I guess I'll watch the cut scenes on YouTube and otherwise skip the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think I'm at the end of chapter 8 and I'm still unsure if the battle system has depth or not but at least I'm having fun. Like other people said there's way too much visual noise and enemy tells are super short and enemy attacks come out super fast that I get my get poo poo kicked in every fight where the enemy is slightly over my level. The technique bar is pretty much the Regroup bar.

But I think there was only one time I came close to a game over in combat so it's not like I'm frustrated

I wish there was a ChipCheezum level video or something about the combat because there's stuff like movesets and switching weapons in mid combo but I can't find a reason to not just hold O or block when the prompt comes up.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 2, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that was what I was talking about, sorry about being unclear. Too bad then, I think having no playable women-characters is kind of boring.

Welp, I guess I'll watch the cut scenes on YouTube and otherwise skip the game.

FFXIII's entire playable cast was women and Sazh who disappeared after the first game, so this balances out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I said come in! posted:

FFXIII's entire playable cast was women and Sazh who disappeared after the first game, so this balances out.

Someone's forgetting FFX-2, too.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

I also think a lot of people are basically willing to give FFXV kind of a pass on what should be some real critical flaws due to it being fun to play and its lengthy and troubled development being obvious and well-documented. The game is rough in a lot of ways but it's rough in ways where it is clear they were trying to focus on it being fun even though they had a lot of limits. I mean if you're being objective then FFXV has a laundry list of problems and its story is borderline disastrously poorly told. On the other hand you can drift a goddamn chocobo and Prompto's pictures are hilarious. That goes a long way.

Yeah I think you're right, at the moment everyone's so amazed that the game is A) actually out, and B) not irredeemable garbage. I'm wondering if we'll see an eventual backlash like we did with XIII, where as time went on opinions went further and further into the negative with any initial excitement about a new FF with fancy graphics being utterly forgotten.

FFXV is fun and much better than XII or XIII IMO, but it really does have a lot wrong with it; I'm honestly shocked it's gotten 9/10 from a number of review outlets. Then again the same happened with XIII so I probably should've expected that.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Y'all I'm lvl 22ish in Chapter 3 (going back and doing low lvl quests/hunts) - I've only upgraded my weapons through vendors, except I found one shield that wasn't v good. Am I doing something wrong?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

FFXIII was a poo poo game, though. That's not really balanced.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Libluini posted:

FFXIII was a poo poo game, though. That's not really balanced.

So if a game doesn't happen to feature a demure waifu to heal you, you wont play. Good to know, I'm glad a pair of tits was the deciding factor between video game purchases.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

thorsilver posted:

Yeah I think you're right, at the moment everyone's so amazed that the game is A) actually out, and B) not irredeemable garbage. I'm wondering if we'll see an eventual backlash like we did with XIII, where as time went on opinions went further and further into the negative with any initial excitement about a new FF with fancy graphics being utterly forgotten.

FFXV is fun and much better than XII or XIII IMO, but it really does have a lot wrong with it; I'm honestly shocked it's gotten 9/10 from a number of review outlets. Then again the same happened with XIII so I probably should've expected that.

You're shocked that the Final Fantasy video game series is the one that has a game with a bunch of very different opinions on the quality of each and every game and how they stack up against each other?

I'm shocked

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Onmi posted:

So if a game doesn't happen to feature a demure waifu to heal you, you wont play. Good to know, I'm glad a pair of tits was the deciding factor between video game purchases.

Yeah that's some pretty amazing double standard/sexism :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Don't worry, I hate that cliché too.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
This whole time after seeing Machinery I've been waiting to put a chainsaw in Prompto's hands and now that dream is reality

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AlphaKretin posted:

Mine is Boko because I'm a sucker for the classics. Maybe I should name it Odin though, since I opted for white. :v:

I named mine Charles.

Charles Wark-ley.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Terper posted:

You're shocked that the Final Fantasy video game series is the one that has a game with a bunch of very different opinions on the quality of each and every game and how they stack up against each other?

I'm shocked

No, I'm shocked that professional reviewers would let all the obvious flaws slide so easily, especially when reviewers seemed to be regaining a bit of sanity of late (less inflated scores).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't mind that the party is all guys. They're going for a specific aesthetic, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Cindy probably shouldn't have been the only female character with more than one line for the first few chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Nina posted:

Btw can we all agree that "It's bedtime..." is Noct's catchphrase by now

I'm a fan of the "Icky!" line after you have a battle with bugs.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think I've been in a situation where I feel like I have to use a shield

The shield is my favorite weapon for Noct so far. It's faster than a greatsword but does almost as much damage.

black.lion posted:

Just had a side interaction w Prompto sitting atop an advertising sign:

Prompto: "I just don't think I'm cool enough to hang out with you guys!!!"
Me, on My Couch: "Nah man you're alright you just need some more health"

Anyway he's the best because collecting silly pictures of my adventures is really making me more connected to this boy band road trip

I said almost the exact same thing, out loud too. I'm a sucker for being the good guy, so that convo was me telling him that he's a cool bro and not to worry, he's doing great.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 2, 2016

• Locked thread