Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I agree that the dark red and green are maybe a bit too much together, or at least kind of oppressive.

But.

Holy poo poo that's some nice marble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

OhDearGodNo posted:

I gave up on black marble due to lack of shade options and just went for another go at jade. Used many layers of Kabalite green, coelia greenshade, waystorne green, and waywatcher green with veins in VMA white/ VMA blue grey. Underneath I mixed cadandora yellow with some spiritstone red, then 2 coats of 'ardcoat. I also tried to do what I could to keep it from looking Christmas-y.

e: ignore the power sword paint. It's not done.

That looks dope as gently caress, although that's a lot of effort for a base. I mean, that effort shows and it looks fantastic, but I don't know how scaleable that would be to a full army.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
That marble looks amazing. You could have some contrasting white tiles that matchish up from one base to another. I imagine them in some immense dark palace, so the sky is the limit when it comes how ornate you want to go.

Hell, go full ham and make a display board where it all comes together. That test marine is seriously going great places, keep it up!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks- it's not a lot more time than what I've had before for other armies (static grass, mud and cork or sand) just that it's a little more involved. Having a hair dryer helps speed it up. Also Mango your duders were my inspiration to keep plugging away.

The blue with red/green probably is a bit, but most of the models are the usual boltmarine. I do worry the green is too much, so I was thinking about splitting it between green and white with a gold grout strip. I'll paint something up tonight if I have the time.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gonna spend my first pay cheque from my new job on Betrayal at Calth because gently caress fiscal responsibility :pcgaming:

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Endman posted:

Gonna spend my first pay cheque from my new job on Betrayal at Calth because gently caress fiscal responsibility :pcgaming:

I'm doing the same with Prospero probably, after being out for almost a decade :suicide:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Both are great sets. Gotta catch 'em all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have my prospero box sitting on the dining room table staring at me. I took one look at how many sprues there were and got scared :ohdear:

I've been putting together a few other figures I still had laying around to procrastinate, but I gotta just dig in and get it going.

Kinda wish I had helmets for some of the other mark armor suits, but I don't care enough to wait for FW and if I want them that bad I'll just get a full set of armor and more marines.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I combined the Prospero terminators with some of the 1k sons bits that I found on ebay and came out with these:

I think the shoulder pads are a bit much, but I imagine it'll all look better once there's some paint (or just a zenethil base) on them.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kithkar posted:

I'm doing the same with Prospero probably, after being out for almost a decade :suicide:

You're never out. They just let you take a breather to make more money to spend on it.

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

I combined the Prospero terminators with some of the 1k sons bits that I found on ebay and came out with these:

I think the shoulder pads are a bit much, but I imagine it'll all look better once there's some paint (or just a zenethil base) on them.

Those look great, and silly over-the-top shoulderpads is what 40k is about. My only criticism would be the generic marine helmet on the flamer dude, swap that for something with a bit more flash and you're set.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I just bought 60 mk3 marines for 100 usd

:getin:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

I just bought 60 mk3 marines for 100 usd

:getin:

eBay seller splitting the BAC/BOP boxes are the best thing to happen to 30k. I've been buying mine for similar prices.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm looking forward to getting Prospero, I just have so much backlog to work through and I'm trying hard to be responsible. I just wish Forgeworld would come out with Ultramarines Cataphractii pads so I could paint them and be done with them, dammit! :argh:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone happen to know of a seller who's selling the Tartarus pattern volkite weapons alone? I want to do a squad with 5 but no one is selling any.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Anyone happen to know of a seller who's selling the Tartarus pattern volkite weapons alone? I want to do a squad with 5 but no one is selling any.

I think there's only the pistol (serpenta?) in the Prospero box, and only one of them at that.

I'd be happy to mail it to you if ya want it though!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

It's a charger.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
you're a charger

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I'm looking forward to getting Prospero, I just have so much backlog to work through and I'm trying hard to be responsible. I just wish Forgeworld would come out with Ultramarines Cataphractii pads so I could paint them and be done with them, dammit! :argh:
I'm waiting on Dark Angels terminator shoulder pads. :shepface:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If you're willing to do third-party parts, there are some decent Cataphractii pads on Shapeways.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

I think there's only the pistol (serpenta?) in the Prospero box, and only one of them at that.

I'd be happy to mail it to you if ya want it though!

Do you have PM?

And any pospero or calth bits you need/want?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Do you have PM?

And any pospero or calth bits you need/want?

Yes and yes! PM me pls

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Buy five squads from eBay. :shepspends:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Couldn't you but the Volkite Charger (I think it's a charger?) sprue from Forgeworld?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legion-Volkite-Charger-Set-2015

Granted the hands are normal marine scale, but a little strategic cutting with a hobby knife has got to be easier than tracking down 5 seperate extras.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If I wanted to put together a Volkite special weapons squad, should I go for Chargers or Calivers?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Endman posted:

If I wanted to put together a Volkite special weapons squad, should I go for Chargers or Calivers?

Chargers are more attractive now. In the new red book you can give tac support squads an extra CCW for 2pts a model just like tactical squads. Assault 2 volkite and then an extra attack in CC.

Endman
May 18, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Chargers are more attractive now. In the new red book you can give tac support squads an extra CCW for 2pts a model just like tactical squads. Assault 2 volkite and then an extra attack in CC.

That sounds super rad. Looks like I'll be scavenging up a Mk 3 plastic sprue and grabbing the Chargers from Forge World

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Endman posted:

That sounds super rad. Looks like I'll be scavenging up a Mk 3 plastic sprue and grabbing the Chargers from Forge World

I've never done the excel spreadsheet to work out if its better than a caliver but I just think its cool. :3:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, 10 flamers with pistols and close combat weapons. :getin:

PantsOptional posted:

If you're willing to do third-party parts, there are some decent Cataphractii pads on Shapeways.
Yeah, I've seen them on there. They're a bit chunkier than I'd like though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Night lord terror squads with volkites are scary mo fos

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Night lord terror squads with volkites are scary mo fos

I was running a full drop pod Night Lords army for a while and moved away from terror squads and into support squads with volkites + extra cc weapons. They are massively cheaper and if they survive the retaliation of them deleting something on the turn they arrive they can really become a huge pain to deal with and they get the fun NL legion rules anyway. I would rather have more units doing more things and target saturation then one or two elite squads, supports are just so drat cheap with free volkite.

Endman
May 18, 2010

TTerrible posted:

I've never done the excel spreadsheet to work out if its better than a caliver but I just think its cool. :3:

Coolness is a perfectly acceptable and, indeed, more desirable, alternative to numbers.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Alternatively, 10 flamers with pistols and close combat weapons. :getin:

As much as I loving love plasma this with world eaters might be fun.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

SoH support squads in drop pods :getin:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Endman posted:

Coolness is a perfectly acceptable and, indeed, more desirable, alternative to numbers.

You're playing this game properly :getin:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
IW plasma support with hammer of Olympia: Shoot the plasma. Charge the mans.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

SoH support squads in drop pods :getin:

They're dope.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Quick and dirty post processing is dumb and fun.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Ghazk posted:

Quick and dirty post processing is dumb and fun.

hahaha, all battle reports should be like this.

So what's the deal with Destroyers? Are you really paying 8ppm over vets for fewer attacks, losing access to sniper, and then gaining rad grenades? That's dumb as hell.

Also, Fire Raptor vs Storm Eagle: which should I buy?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

So what's the deal with Destroyers? Are you really paying 8ppm over vets for fewer attacks, losing access to sniper, and then gaining rad grenades? That's dumb as hell.

Also, Fire Raptor vs Storm Eagle: which should I buy?

Yes and Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Destroyers are not good at all.

Both storm eagles and fire raptors are very solid but the kit is an unholy nightmare.