Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

tbf its not available here either

yeah we just joined fi and i had to give up having a hugephone because the xl is out of stock. i have to admit i dont miss it as much as i thought i would though, and having a googphone on googfi is loving slick and pro as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

having a googphone on googfi is loving slick and pro as hell.

yep. the only carrier that doesnt treat its subscribers like dog poo poo. its really incredible. eye opening really.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Smythe posted:

yep. the only carrier that doesnt treat its subscribers like dog poo poo. its really incredible. eye opening really.

oh no i went over my data. i guess ill have to pay the same low rate for more data.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

oh no i went under my data. i guess ill have to pay even less than i thought.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

oh no i went over my data. i guess ill have to pay the same low rate for more data.

when rolling out the service we did user studies that showed people wanted a data plan with a certain amount per month even though all the plans and all amounts of data usage are priced the same it's rly dumb

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i think id rather pay extra money to not ever be on sprint

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

any nations allied to the USA are the first world.

:)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

i think id rather pay extra money to not ever be on sprint

As the end-user of Fi, you don't concern yourself with this lowly tech-tier khaki pants trash. My phone intelligently provides me with the best service from all its available providers - as such I always have full bars and perfect service. Full bandwidth and crystal clear call quality. Your phone isn't a PC - don't CJ it. Live better. Respect yourself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smythe posted:

As the end-user of Fi, you don't concern yourself with this lowly tech-tier khaki pants trash. My phone intelligently provides me with the best service from all its available providers - as such I always have full bars and perfect service. Full bandwidth and crystal clear call quality. Your phone isn't a PC - don't CJ it. Live better. Respect yourself.

the folks in dyp say that when their fi phone is on a sprint network that the calls dont come through in time for more than one ring before they go to voicemail c/d

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

the folks in dyp say that when their fi phone is on a sprint network that the calls dont come through in time for more than one ring before they go to voicemail c/d

i mean roll the dice on whether it's an issue with one of the second tier cell networks or just a WONTFIX issue with the world's flightiest software company

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i mean roll the dice on whether it's an issue with one of the second tier cell networks or just a WONTFIX issue with the world's flightiest software company

certainly a bit of both plus the problem of it just taking so long for voip > cell network > ring

here are some of the posts im seeing

Uthor posted:

The last two days, I've been getting one ring, missed call, one ring, second missed call whenever someone calls. It seems like I've been on US Cellular all those times. Wish it stayed with TMobile until I lost coverage, then switched to Sprint or US Cellular.

peepsalot posted:

Why is project fi ringing so insanely delayed on my phone (5X) that it routinely misses calls without a single ring, or rings for only a second before going to voicemail?

Is this likely to ever improve or is project fi fundamentally flawed in its protocol or whatever the gently caress?

effika posted:

That's my experience on Sprint-- so maybe it's not so much Fi as it is that Sprint happens to be the service provider at those times..

idk i think ill stick to my unlimited everything for $50/m on a functional network

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Smythe posted:

Your phone isn't a PC - don't CJ it. Live better. Respect yourself.

agreed that's why i got an iphone

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

zen death robot posted:

smythe you know you outrank this guy right
:pray:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
android and google products are indefensible

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

certainly a bit of both plus the problem of it just taking so long for voip > cell network > ring

here are some of the posts im seeing

idk i think ill stick to my unlimited everything for $50/m on a functional network

ive had this behavior from every cell phone and cell network ive ever been on so i dont think thats a fi thing. thats a "livng in an area with lovely coverage/in a farraday cage" problem.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

D. They have obviously CJd their phone or installed some sort of bad software. I've never had a single issue, nor has my Old Man Father. Works perfectly, easy game. GG nextmap

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Smythe posted:

D. They have obviously CJd their phone or installed some sort of bad software. I've never had a single issue, nor has my Old Man Father. Works perfectly, easy game. GG nextmap

:yossame:

however sprint is still poo poo garbage. the tower closest to my old residence had a problem that meant that calls and text messages would simply not go through to my old iphone at all, even with full bars. i would get a voicemail several hours after someone tried to call. this lasted for a few weeks until the frequency of our calls finally got them to fix poo poo.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

plus non-fi networks let you use iPhones instead of androids

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

:yossame:

however sprint is still poo poo garbage. the tower closest to my old residence had a problem that meant that calls and text messages would simply not go through to my old iphone at all, even with full bars. i would get a voicemail several hours after someone tried to call. this lasted for a few weeks until the frequency of our calls finally got them to fix poo poo.

sprint is so bad that apparently people in the fi thread use dialer codes to lock their devices to tmobile only. the math is literally that tmo+sprint is lesser than tmo alone

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
but the verizon guy in the sprint commercials told me the difference in carriers is less than 1%

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

plus non-fi networks let you use iPhones instead of androids

lol are you telling me that google's supposed amazing carrier only lets you use android phones over tmobile and sprint networks? sounds like a waking nightmare

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm probably going to switch to Fi when I can because I'm incredibly cheap!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

but the verizon guy in the sprint commercials told me the difference in carriers is less than 1%

I've been wondering how they legally get away with a quote like that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Last Chance posted:

lol are you telling me that google's supposed amazing carrier only lets you use android phones over tmobile and sprint networks? sounds like a waking nightmare

nah they have us cellular too, and it preferentially uses wifi calling if you are connected to a wifi network.

also they have service in like 50 other countries so if you travel at all you dont have to do poo poo other than pay the tiny international calling fee.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lol "network reliability" lmao no poo poo i know your slow lovely piecemeal bullshit network exists (well exists 1% less than verizons does) but thats the problem--its still slow on terrible frequencies and has no loving coverage BUT AT LEAST YOUR CALLS ONLY DROP 1% MORE OFTEN THAN VERIZON

the verizon guy is shilling for sprint b/c now that verizon stopped paying him its all he can afford

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hiring the Verizon guy for sprint commercials is hilarious

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

android and google products are indefensible

this but also apple and all other computer products

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

the verizon guy is shilling for sprint b/c now that verizon stopped paying him its all he can afford

cuz if vzw liked him then they should have got a w-2 for him
if vzw liked him then they should have got a w-2 for him

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

hiring the Verizon guy for sprint commercials is hilarious

whatever lawyer wrote that contract needs to be disbarred

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ArmZ posted:

whatever lawyer wrote that contract needs to be disbarred

whaty's it been, like five? ten? years since they had vzw guy in ads

possible it just had a time limit

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

whaty's it been, like five? ten? years since they had vzw guy in ads

possible it just had a time limit

good point. maybe there is an actor's union thing or maybe an anti-non-compete issue... but still there should be a way around that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

its probably true. the thing is the 1% they're off makes a big difference

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ArmZ posted:

good point. maybe there is an actor's union thing or maybe an anti-non-compete issue... but still there should be a way around that.

What?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ArmZ posted:

"you were in our commercial, so you can never be in anyone else's commercial ever again"?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the absolute best thing about google fi isn't just the crystal clear call quality and the no-penalty data overage that they actually credit you the difference if you don't use it every month, it's that in every single loving country i've been to, it's just connected and worked. No having to look around for sim card stand in the airport, no "roaming rates and 100mb of international data @ $50" bullshit, it's just loving worked at no extra charge in half a dozen countries so far, when i turn it on on the tarmac it says "Welcome to XXXXX, google has you covered!" and all my texts and emails roll in from the other side of the world. now that's service

and it's $30/mo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

the absolute best thing about google fi isn't just the crystal clear call quality and the no-penalty data overage that they actually credit you the difference if you don't use it every month, it's that in every single loving country i've been to, it's just connected and worked. No having to look around for sim card stand in the airport, no "roaming rates and 100mb of international data @ $50" bullshit, it's just loving worked at no extra charge in half a dozen countries so far, when i turn it on on the tarmac it says "Welcome to XXXXX, google has you covered!" and all my texts and emails roll in from the other side of the world. now that's service

and it's $30/mo

What is the reason not not get the 5GB plan and just have them continuously refund you if you don't use it?

I will probably get rid of Verizon in November of 2017 when my unlimited data plan contract expires. By then I might get lucky enough that they bring back unlimited data by then lol (T Mobile kinda has it again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

What is the reason not not get the 5GB plan and just have them continuously refund you if you don't use it?

I will probably get rid of Verizon in November of 2017 when my unlimited data plan contract expires. By then I might get lucky enough that they bring back unlimited data by then lol (T Mobile kinda has it again)

if you dont habitually go over 1gb a month there's no reason to have that money gone up front. they bill you at the beginning of every cycle, not the end, so if you're not using 4 more gb of data you could be using that 40bux for something else.

• Locked thread