Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

NGDBSS posted:

Which edition of Descent did you play? The first is a complicated mess (and I say this as someone who owns nearly everything for it but who uses the pieces for the same thing as you), while the second is notably slimmed down and streamlined.

I'm assuming the first. It was a number of years ago. I'm still painting my way slowly through the minis (because I always have too many figures), and since they are technically part of a game, I am keeping their white/red color-coding for rules purposes, either on the bases or in the paint schemes.

I've moved on to lighter, minimal prep RPG stuff. I spend a fair chunk of prep time before a campaign setting up a cool sandbox and then I just improv, take notes (and review them before a session) and occasionally call a 5 minute break to scheme if I need to. Half the time maps and miniatures don't get used during a session any more, so I'm not really looking for a game to fill the space that I intended Descent to fill.

Then here I am writing my own RPG with more crunch than I'd probably want to deal with while running a game. What am I doing with my life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Veloxyll posted:

Entry level stuff. Where the game refuses to give me Lepers or Men At Arms. Or Antiquitarians.

"I see that you have Dismas and Reynauld. Here's 10 more crusaders and highwaymen, since you seem to like them. :downs: "

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Broken Box posted:

Said pizza is then left piled in a cart full of plague infected corpses. Hope you like medicinal herbs as a pizza topping!
That's what always bothered me about the cart in the Warrens. The message literally says "You stumble on a cart of human remains". The appropriate response to this is apparently to sprinkle herbs on them, et voila! "Some of the meat becomes edible!" Why are human remains considered food?! :stonk:

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I love Pandemic and Risk Legacy, they've really solidified in my mind the potential of legacy based systems for board games. Considering you usually play board games with a small group of friends and slowly develop your own rules and styles for games it feels like an organic evolution to have such games become more common place. Plus its fun to look at a board covered in stickers and fondly think to how you got here.
I loved the Risk Legacy LP but since I mostly play board games with about 10-20 members of the local boardgaming group, the player composition is hardly ever the same. So, in my case legacy games or co-op campaigns usually go unplayed. Sure, some people are interested in playing these types of games, but they never actually take action to organize anything. At best, the first scenario gets played 2-3 times because there's always someone new in the group.

I can see why these game types are great if you play with the same 4-6 people every time though. Although my experience with co-op games has been mixed at best.
Imperial Assault was a great experience, but the traditional fantasy themed co-op board games were not. They look like the tabletop rpgs I know and love, but they pale in comparison.
As a game because they feel like a cheap knock-off to me. Also because the board gamers I have played with seem to have the mindset of winning at all costs. I can't quite name what it is exactly but moves take a long time, people seem to be more focused on figuring out the perfect move. Some even go as far as to make a move and then take it back when they see something better or notice that their chosen move has unpleasant consequences. Just go with your gut, make a move and roll with the results, drat it! :argh:

TL;DR
Ramblings of a grumpy goon.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pea posted:

That's what always bothered me about the cart in the Warrens. The message literally says "You stumble on a cart of human remains". The appropriate response to this is apparently to sprinkle herbs on them, et voila! "Some of the meat becomes edible!" Why are human remains considered food?! :stonk:
I loved the Risk Legacy LP but since I mostly play board games with about 10-20 members of the local boardgaming group, the player composition is hardly ever the same. So, in my case legacy games or co-op campaigns usually go unplayed. Sure, some people are interested in playing these types of games, but they never actually take action to organize anything. At best, the first scenario gets played 2-3 times because there's always someone new in the group.

I can see why these game types are great if you play with the same 4-6 people every time though. Although my experience with co-op games has been mixed at best.
Imperial Assault was a great experience, but the traditional fantasy themed co-op board games were not. They look like the tabletop rpgs I know and love, but they pale in comparison.
As a game because they feel like a cheap knock-off to me. Also because the board gamers I have played with seem to have the mindset of winning at all costs. I can't quite name what it is exactly but moves take a long time, people seem to be more focused on figuring out the perfect move. Some even go as far as to make a move and then take it back when they see something better or notice that their chosen move has unpleasant consequences. Just go with your gut, make a move and roll with the results, drat it! :argh:

TL;DR
Ramblings of a grumpy goon.

The beauty of Risk Legacy is that it doesn't matter if the group is the same. Anyone can leave their mark on the board.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I'm assuming I'm too late to have a real chance of getting in, but figured I'd throw my application in the pool. Prefer Jester, Arbalest, Hellion.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
So, can we agree that henceforth, if someone finishes a dungeon with a stack of food, or throws out something valuable instead of food to make room, that they have "pulled a Highwang"?

"Man, I was watching my friend play DD the other day - he had a two Antiquarian team to grind for money, but totally Highwang'd it in The Warrens."

Maybe I'm overstepping my station.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In that case, I Highwanged yesterday. I brought a sandwich and a bunch of fruit to school, but I forgot to eat it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
If we're talking about getting "Highwanged," it would probably be in this new update

Episode 34: Bold Accusations

Trying to LP after two months off is dumb and ill-advised, and now someone pays the price for it.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Your luck has run out. Welcome to the rest of us.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I guess you were accused of being bad at this game!

Oh snap!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Could be worse. I fought the shambler and had to bale and as I was getting ready to head back to the hamlet one of my guys yelled at the group for being useless which gave him enough stress to die by a heart attack.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You know what would be nice? A Sedative item that relieves some stress in exchange for a minor, but stacking combat debuff.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hellions have a camping skill like that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You're not cursed highwang, you just had 0 ability to hit the back row stress dealers and the weald enemy parties tends to throw a lot of heavy meatshields in front - in addition to that, with the antiquarian in tow you have no offensive value whatsoever and her defensive passives aren't particularly great unless you stack dodge buffs IMO. In other words, your team sucked for this location.

But this is darkest dungeon so it's to be expected. On an entirely different note, how the hell are you having so many crashes? I've dumped more than 150 hours into this game and it's crashed maybe 2 times or so.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

double nine posted:

On an entirely different note, how the hell are you having so many crashes? I've dumped more than 150 hours into this game and it's crashed maybe 2 times or so.
Oh that train wreck hasn't stopped yet.

And honestly, I have no idea. Maybe the new recording profile on OBS might have something to do with it?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
drat mate, there's no shame in running away y'know.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I tend to use Finish Him instead of Come Hither (hook) on my Bounty Hunters because, as noted, 100% damage on a melee character in rank 3 is great. Even if it's not buffed by stun.
I wouldn't say the team was bad, antiquarian's knives do somewhat decent damage. Leppy was kind of the odd one out for the Weald though, a Hellion would have been way better.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Cassa posted:

drat mate, there's no shame in running away y'know.

Oh there's a lot of shame, but at least you're alive :v:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I mean, from the thread, sure.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
It's official: Vestals are not safe around Wang.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
She didn't really die from the accusation. She just decided she'd had enough abuse and pulled a Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

DGM_2 posted:

She didn't really die from the accusation. She just decided she'd had enough abuse and pulled a Cartman: "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
Let me remind you that this is the second Vestal who discovered the joys of masochism right before her demise. There is never enough abuse. I guess she just was forced to admit it to herself. :shepicide:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

hirvox posted:

Let me remind you that this is the second Vestal who discovered the joys of masochism right before her demise. There is never enough abuse. I guess she just was forced to admit it to herself. :shepicide:

That... is a disturbingly good point. Theory withdrawn.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Am I the first to be killed in this LP, or am I remembering wrong?

Damnit, I wanted to be there until the end, and instead I just die in the least sexy way possible. Lesson learned for my own playthrough though: Always have someone that can kill those stress dealers in the back rows.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sjonkel posted:

Am I the first to be killed in this LP, or am I remembering wrong?

Nah,there was another who fell before you. Who was also a Vestal. Noticing a theme here. It was Highwang's botched attempt at fighting the Shambler.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Both by heart attacks, too. You gotta give me more to work with, Highwang, there are only so many Darkplace deaths that I can present as heart attacks.

That said, given the sort of game Darkest Dungeon is, I imagine Sjonkel's "heart attack" may have actually been like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brpUVlXt1f0

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Wow. Um. Wow.

I suck at this game. But you should have just abandoned the quest after Sjonkle got stress wrecked. You knew your team sucked for this (lack of back row coverage) and you had no stress removal left. I know bailing on a mission is punishing but at that point it [abandoning the mission] was inevitable and pressing on was suicide. But I appreciate you showing us the heart attack and the dominoing heroes that everyone else has been talking about in this thread. This is a pro playthrough by showing us what to do and what not to do.

And this game seems to really have it out for you. It knows right where to hit you. Taking out your Vestals who you love and rely on so much. Brutal.

Also drat, three hunger events in one run. Maybe it is good to carry all the food.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I don't know, heroes are free-ish. And a single bad fight doesn't always mean that much. Pulling through with half your team on death's door and near heart attacks can be thrilling and worth pushing for (though depending on the trinkets you load up on, running to save those can be good).

Party composition is probably the thing making me suck at red missions atm. A certain town event has hit my analysis paralysis pretty hard, so DD is kind of sidelined for a while, but I'd be interested in people's ideas on general party set-ups for dungeons that feel hard. While I also wallow in regret about getting lvl6 heroes but only cleaning up disease and some bad traits, rather than locking in good ones early.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I managed to do the Champion level town event with my first batch of level 6s, totally unoptimized in terms of Quirks for the most part, Vestal, Occultist, Bounty Hunter, Man at Arms. It was a close shave and if I hadn't had at least all the gear and skills upgraded to max I would have been screwed, the margin was tight. I also got lucky and my bounty hunter opened the fight with a 60 damage crit (marked target+human). The loadout was too light on damage for a smooth fight, I think. (Occultist+Vestal, Bounty Hunter doesn't fight spot 3 nearly as effectively as spots 1 and 2, Man at Arms is a low damage meathead, but his Guard ability was important).

Now I'm leveling up a set of guys where I actually lock in good quirks, I probably jinxed myself with that level 2 bounty hunter who now has +prot, +dodge and +speed locked in :v:

Still, all my healers are either low level or Champion level and I still have half the Veteran bosses to kill so now I gotta level up some healers without being too picky about it to actually finish Veteran.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 3, 2016

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I like the halfassed excuses that highwang always gives for his screw ups, they are always "well I was thinking," and then some after the fact rationalization fig leaf. And then chitlin is always, "well I guess???" but I think everyone knows he is losing a bit more of his mind. That's the true darkest dungeon, keep it up highwang!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
The main nerf the Bounty Hunter received in early access was limiting Collect Bounty from rank 1-2-3 to rank 1-2.

Otherwise, it was all buffs, in Come Hither and Hook & Slice mostly. The reason he feels weak damage wise is that back then the BH and Hellion kinda shared the frontline shitfucker position, and now the Leper and Abomination are there to overshadow him in that regard.

He's still great even without marks, in my opinion, since he can reliably stand in row 3, pulling, damaging and stunning as necessary(his stuns are really loving good). It's not a damage powerhouse out of the gate like the Hellion, but he's so flexible that I still often find a use for him.

He's pretty good in the Weald. Giants, Crones and Fungi are human, after all.

And there's one mission later on filled with human enemies. BH is a monster then.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I can't help but think that using the Bounty Hunter's hook attack to bring some of those rank 3/4 enemies within range of the frontliners might have been a good idea.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Apep727 posted:

I can't help but think that using the Bounty Hunter's hook attack to bring some of those rank 3/4 enemies within range of the frontliners might have been a good idea.

The Wounding Helmet has a pretty hefty decrease in move skill chance.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Halser posted:

The Wounding Helmet has a pretty hefty decrease in move skill chance.

Yeah, that was my downfall there. In retrospect, Dismas' head or the Crescendo Box would be a better damage accessory for the BH.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
On the other hand, that means he's going to recruit more vestals, thus pulling in more potential thread/Youtube participants for the slaughter.

I also find it amusing that so far, his only casualties have been vestals.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Personally, I imagine Wang's gonna want to pull in at least one more Jester. It seems as things go on that health damage is far less of a threat than stress damage, and stress mitigation might be the stronger contender here.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
He's probably better off having a better offencive abilities instead since the best defence is a good offence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

All my casualties have been antiquarians

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Lazy Bear posted:

Personally, I imagine Wang's gonna want to pull in at least one more Jester. It seems as things go on that health damage is far less of a threat than stress damage, and stress mitigation might be the stronger contender here.

Bit of a behind the scenes spoiler: I actually used Vdate a lot just to train him up for alternate jester duty. Stress removal is super necessary now compared to the EA days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Highwang posted:

Yeah, that was my downfall there. In retrospect, Dismas' head or the Crescendo Box would be a better damage accessory for the BH.
Highwang, your downfall was, in my opinion, not having played for a few weeks.

- You had ways of reaching the back row. They were limited, but you had them. Sjonkel had Dazzling light, she could have stunned a back row stress dealer! :argh:
- Great Evil King's uppercut had a 49% chance to move a Fungal Grabber back 2 spots after applying helmet's -25% To move skills. Even if it failed to move the enemy, it had a 99% stun chance. You'd be giving your front 2 access to back row characters or at least neutralize the enemy front row for a bit.
- Nervous Stab can reach row 3, why are you healing people for less damage than a single hit when you could help bring the stress dealers HP total down to the range of your front line's damage output? :psypop:

Those are all options you don't consider when it's been a while since you last played. :colbert:

:rip: Sjonkel - Ep. 2 - Ep. 34, my stage coach homie. :smith:

• Locked thread