Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Aurium posted:

So I only read it once, and it was quite a while ago, but I'll give it my best.

Prototype Allison was very repressed. Not just about sexuality, but about basically everything about herself. She was smart, and she was playing the part of the dumb sorority sister. You still see echos of that personality in current Allison, things like how her friend said she didn't know where the old kind of pudgy girl who really liked sailor moon went, possibly getting lost on her way to the gym. You also see it in her blonde hair dye. The whole of Mottom's backstory is also an echo of this. "The jewel must glimmer."

Back to prototype Allison though. So, the MSPA comic was basically a forum game. Operant would draw and write an update, and solicit responses, and good ones would be used to lead the comic along. You'd get the peanut gallery saying things how hot the girls are and that Allison should kiss them, and people people playing with the dumb sorority sister conceit saying how books are dumb, and how boys are hot, and Allison's monologue would pipe up with things like boys are super hot and I totally have tons of sex, and books are dumb and I'm totally not a virgin and of course my sisters are hot, they're my sorority sisters and we're all hot as little throwaway lines. People noticed pretty early just how forced Allison's inner dialog was, and continued to needle her with lesbian comments (and books and boys etc). The very beginning of the comic has her poolside with a philosophy book hidden in a Cosmo knockoff.

Anyway, fast forward to very near the end, and she's in a battle with a powerful demon, and is mostly being controlled by a magic parasite that's giving her tons of power. The parasite is needling her with similar comments to the forum posters to keep her under control, but Allison snaps out of it, seizes control of this power and shouts "I AM NOT A LESBIAN!" before collapsing.

I think it was the only time she even says the word lesbian, the rest of the time is just more like, I totally like guys, and other deflections. (There might have been trailing off with the word half said, or in subscript.)

I'm sure that's why it was first suggested, but repression was basically the theme of the prototype, and it fit really well into Allison's character.

I am suddenly very glad that I can't find this prototype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Inglonias posted:

it was OK

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The best part was Nietzsche, transdimensional godslayer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Agean90 posted:

The best part was Nietzsche, transdimensional godslayer.

For those not in the know, Actual Nietzsche was the Zoss equivalent in the MSPA original.

He was pretty chill.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
God is dead.

I know because I killed him with my own two hands!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

God is dead.

I know because I killed him with my own two hands!

big whoop, there were like seven hundred thousand of the jerks. couldnt swing your arms without murdering a god and toppling his throne.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Does Maya's shiny red bindi mean she is an Emissary of Jagganath?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Inglonias posted:

Sorry about that.

Operant is a really good storyteller, and I'm not. The other thing that the prototype had going for it was it's presentation. It took huge advantage of the interactive nature of the forum gameness. Despite it's improve nature, it still had great art. I also skipped over basically all the interesting world building and interesting concepts to focus on who prototype Allison was. Similar to Allison in the first half of Book 1, prototype Allison was something that events happened to, not someone who did events, and it ended basically right when she had first seized any initiative. Consider if KSBD had ended when Allison was shoved out the window after pulling out White Chain's needle.

All that said, the overall tone was quite different, very comedic, much more cheesecake with a side of body horror.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The initial concept for KSBD was basically verbatim this video and Operant improvised from there, so

it's come a long way

oh yeah probably don't click that link at work maybe

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 3, 2016

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Call it a hunch but I highly doubt any of the demiurges are interested in employing someone named "murder the gods and topple their thrones".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dmitri-9 posted:

Nah she's a mendicant knight, not a belligerent knight.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I like the theory that Maya was the Demiurge who sold her key to Mammon, since it's been hinted at the she once had one and I can't quite picture someone taking it by force.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I like the theory that Maya was the Demiurge who sold her key to Mammon, since it's been hinted at the she once had one and I can't quite picture someone taking it by force.

On the other hand if she was particularly cash-motivated I doubt she'd have become a wandering beggar-knight who learned to fight with half a sword.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It's possible that she just sold her key in that badass kungfu "I don't need the power of a deity" way. And then just, spent all the money on noodles and got fat. I think one of the flashback panels shows someone that could be a thinner Maya. She looks pretty good for someone who spent what is literally a God's fortune on noodles.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Maybe she just ran out of booze money. She has mentioned that, much like her master, she is frequently drunk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update. Bit of a jump ahead; Allison's not looking so great after all that exertion, among other things.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This comic is good, y'all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mmmh.

2-12 followed by 2-14. Why no 2-13?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Allison knows her priorities when packing.

What are all those airships actually doing out there, anyway?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Transport of goods and persons, presumably. (Also of goods that are persons.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's nothing but Throne, though.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

the future is WOW posted:

Call it a hunch but I highly doubt any of the demiurges are interested in employing someone named "murder the gods and topple their thrones".

The gods were already dead and Throne was toppled before humans even got there. She conquered all of those worlds for someone, maybe Zoss, maybe Jagganoth or maybe herself because she was powerful enough to stop an igneous angel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Throne is a hub. It is surrounded by 777777 spokes, each one a universe born from the tale of a dead god.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

There's the several hundred thousand universes that some people have been fighting over.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean for airships to sail to out in the darkness surrounding throne. My question is what are they all doing out there.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If you thought illicit drugs were coveted in Throne boy howdy you have not seen the Throne hair dye cartels

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Cio outlines her painful life-story, has a nascent god blow up in her face and demand she do something suicidal that she's dangerously addicted to or leave, and responds by going 'okay, drat, she's clearly not in a good headspace, I should talk to her and see if I can help'.

Allison's got herself a drat good biographer.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

So Cio outlines her painful life-story, has a nascent god blow up in her face and demand she do something suicidal that she's dangerously addicted to or leave, and responds by going 'okay, drat, she's clearly not in a good headspace, I should talk to her and see if I can help'.

Allison's got herself a drat good biographer.

She's been there, after all

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MikeJF posted:

Allison knows her priorities when packing.

quote:

I'm guessing that's Throne in first panel. Beautiful! All those ships... they're sailing towards Throne or just hanging around? How do they survive out there beyond Throne?

quote:

Most of them are hanging around, since there’s not much outside throne. The air is perfectly breathable, although it gets much thinner when you get 4-5 days out and eventually disappears completely.

There are several floating islands and many, many smaller satellites of Throne that are worth visiting for various reasons, most of which are pretty shady, but quite a few of them are families or communities that have uprooted from the city proper and tried to scratch out a living on a house ship.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The initial concept for KSBD was basically verbatim this video and Operant improvised from there, so

it's come a long way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CtGzj7NmSA :nws: just in case

Cat Mattress did you check it out? 13 episodes are online on pluzz.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

it's come a long way

Wow, the video that keeps on giving.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

She's been there, after all

Well, yeah, but there's a big gap between knowing about something and doing something about it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Cat Mattress did you check it out? 13 episodes are online on pluzz.

No my Internet sucks too much for video streaming, getting the buffering throbber every three seconds is aggravating.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Dmitri-9 posted:

The gods were already dead and Throne was toppled before humans even got there.

I think that's a little too specific of an interpretation; I always took the "murder the gods" part of her name to mean any god (or god like being) that she feels is deserving of her special attention, not just the original 777,777. And since any demiurge with a key counts as a god, there have been plenty available over the years for her to live up to her name. As for "topple their thrones", that refers not to Throne the city but the the thrones these new gods sit on. In which case toppling said thrones would consist of dismantling whatever is left of the regime once the god is good and murdered.

Dmitri-9 posted:

She conquered all of those worlds for someone, maybe Zoss, maybe Jagganoth or maybe herself because she was powerful enough to stop an igneous angel.

Yeah, that's a fair point; another possibility could be that she was hired by Mammon to eliminate other demiurges so he could claim their keys for himself and build up his 1/7th-of-creation master key. We just don't know enough about her at this point to really be able to understand what her motivations are or where her allegiances lay (or laid in the past).

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 4, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Closely aligned with Noodles and Whiskey

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I like the idea that Maya was a demiurge herself and sold her key to mammon, and she was the first god she toppled by simply abdicating.

This is probably wrong, but it's a neat idea to have.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not "Peacefully Transition Power Between The Gods And Topple Their Thrones"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Obviously jagganath is v interested in destroying all gods as well, though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Hmm, wait a minute. Maya's got Incubus's sigil on the back of her robes. Incubus is said to be a master swordsman. Abaddon said Meti didn't take on just the one apprentice.

Hoo boy, we're gonna see some poo poo when we get to Incubus's chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It would fit with the comic for the visual wussiest demiurge to in fact be a god tier swordsman