Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Here's an essay that's a semi-fictional collection of MLM scam stories of poor people expecting to GO DIAMOND.

Enjoy.

https://granta.com/going-diamond/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sepherothic posted:

Here's an essay that's a semi-fictional collection of MLM scam stories of poor people expecting to GO DIAMOND.

Enjoy.

https://granta.com/going-diamond/

"Diamond" level is a pretty great name for MLM top levels. Diamonds are common and have little intrinsic worth, but are only valued highly because a cartel of companies company dictates they should be.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Just wait till we're Bitcoin

VV Requesting Kwanzaa bird

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I know that there is not currently a derail, but it's December so I thought I'd give you guys some holiday themed derail birds to use as needed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bad With Money thread became a PYF Bird thread so gradually I didn't even notice.

But for real, that dreidel bird is awesome.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I don't like saving spots in the winter, but we do it because it's pretty much essential on our street in Cambridge when there's a lot of snow. Almost everyone saves their spots, and finding a parking spot can be very difficult since the stock of non-saved spots can be pretty slim. A couple of winters ago when we got so much snow, I'd estimate that about a quarter of the spots on our street were occupied by giant mounds of snow.

We had a woman who fiercely guarded the two parking spaces in front of her house, luckily she moved away a couple years ago. Their house was next door to someone with a reserved handicapped space out front. The crazy woman in question got home from work before her husband and would park in front of their house, but leave about 3/4 of a car length between her car and the handicapped space. When her husband got home she would back her car up, freeing up a second space for her husband. If she didn't manage to get the space in front of her house she seemed to constantly monitor the space, and would immediately move her car into the space when they were freed up. I parked in the spot as often as possible when spots closer to our house weren't available, and if I left on a weekend, before I could pull out of the space she would be waiting on her porch with her car keys. She once came out of her house an asked my wife not to park in her "husband's spot." My wife is too nice and moved across the street.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe a traffic cone would work.

In Pittsburgh we use lawn chairs.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/01/26/city-removing-residents-parking-space-savers/Aq5Af3E2o0wAt5FiWeqqYP/story.html

EPICAC posted:

We had a woman who fiercely guarded the two parking spaces in front of her house, luckily she moved away a couple years ago. Their house was next door to someone with a reserved handicapped space out front. The crazy woman in question got home from work before her husband and would park in front of their house, but leave about 3/4 of a car length between her car and the handicapped space. When her husband got home she would back her car up, freeing up a second space for her husband. If she didn't manage to get the space in front of her house she seemed to constantly monitor the space, and would immediately move her car into the space when they were freed up. I parked in the spot as often as possible when spots closer to our house weren't available, and if I left on a weekend, before I could pull out of the space she would be waiting on her porch with her car keys. She once came out of her house an asked my wife not to park in her "husband's spot." My wife is too nice and moved across the street.

"Just getting something out of my car!" :iamafag:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

EPICAC posted:

If she didn't manage to get the space in front of her house she seemed to constantly monitor the space, and would immediately move her car into the space when they were freed up. I parked in the spot as often as possible when spots closer to our house weren't available, and if I left on a weekend, before I could pull out of the space she would be waiting on her porch with her car keys. She once came out of her house an asked my wife not to park in her "husband's spot." My wife is too nice and moved across the street.

I honestly feel kind of bad for this lady, that's nuts. Find a better hobby.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I love a BWM story about a bank.

quote:

A bank account called "Complete Freedom" gave Luke Brett Moore a latitude he never expected.

Over the course of 50 transactions, the Australian man exploited a system error to withdraw A$2.1 million (NZ$2.2m), spending it on exotic cars, a power boat, paintings, jewellery and a framed Michael Jordan shirt.

Bonus round no intention to deceive:

quote:

The overturning of the verdict came after he was sentenced to a minimum jail term of two years and three months by Judge Stephen Norrish last April.

"I must confess to some puzzlement at the apparent dismay of the prisoner and people who support him that he was found guilty," Judge Norrish had said, describing the Crown case as "irresistible".

Moore spent five months in jail before he was granted bail last September, pending the appeal of what the Supreme Court described as an "almost unique" case.

Now his freedom is complete.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/87113276/man-who-withdrew-22-million-after-bank-error-wins-fraud-appeal

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
GWM: trading 5 months in the clink for $2.1M?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Barry posted:

GWM: trading 5 months in the clink for $2.1M?

The bank/state most assuredly took all the money and the poo poo he bought with it away from him.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

WampaLord posted:

The bank/state most assuredly took all the money and the poo poo he bought with it away from him.

GWL: trading 5 months in the clink for 2 years of balling out?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fxxtg/help_im_35_broke_and_made_many_bad_financial/

This guy is like the BWM bingo. 401k loan, traded in underwater loans to buy another new car, underpaid taxes, tons of outstanding credit card debt... Only missing ingredient is $100k in student loans to go alongside the rest.

Highlights:
35 years old
Annual Income (Counting Bonus) $80,000 ($3,200 monthly)

Credit Card Debt $15,933 @ roughly 22% ($573 minimum payments)
Car Loan $38,000 @ 6.5% ($680 a month) (traded in an underwater car to buy a new truck)
State Tax Debt $1,200 ($100 a month payment)
Federal Tax Debt $3,806 (no payment listed)
Collections $538 (no payments listed)
401K Home Mortgage Loan $12,292 @ 4.25% ($90 per month) 4.25%
401K Personal Loan @ 4.25% $5,229 ($397 per month) 4.25%

So roughly $1,840 a month in debt payments excluding his mortgage and ignoring the federal taxes due and collections account.

Mortgage $880
Heat/Electric $115
Cell Phone $115
Insurance $110

So now we're up to $3,060 per month out of $3,200 income before any other cost of living expenses....

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 1, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That income doesn't add up. $3200 a month is $38,400. Either his bonus is literally half his income, or he's getting turbofucked on taxes/deductions/benefits.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WampaLord posted:

That income doesn't add up. $3200 a month is $38,400. Either his bonus is literally half his income, or he's getting turbofucked on taxes/deductions/benefits.

Maybe some of the back taxes are being garnished directly from his wages?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I thought the same thing, but checking the OP he says that it's $3200 before bonuses and after loans are taken out. The 401k repayment is deducted automatically from his paychecks.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Teeter posted:

I thought the same thing, but checking the OP he says that it's $3200 before bonuses and after loans are taken out. The 401k repayment is deducted automatically from his paychecks.

That definitely makes a bit more sense. Even at $3,600 per month his net income seems pretty low $43,200... His bonus must be in the $20,000 range or there's other things he's excluding possibly.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

EPICAC posted:

I don't like saving spots in the winter, but we do it because it's pretty much essential on our street in Cambridge when there's a lot of snow. Almost everyone saves their spots, and finding a parking spot can be very difficult since the stock of non-saved spots can be pretty slim. A couple of winters ago when we got so much snow, I'd estimate that about a quarter of the spots on our street were occupied by giant mounds of snow.

I solved this by getting a truck with 4x4 and just not shoveling out my spot at all. No need to get annoyed at having to shovel and nobody wants to steal your spot.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I solved this by getting a truck with 4x4 and just not shoveling out my spot at all. No need to get annoyed at having to shovel and nobody wants to steal your spot.
My truck was parked on public street, halfway down the block, in front of someone else's house. I shoveled snow after a heavy storm, and left to run a quick errand. 30 minutes later, there were folding chairs and a milk crate blocking that same spot. So I drove right over that barricade and parked like nothing happened. The crunching sounds were loud enough to be heard 3 blocks away, but nobody came out to complain.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bugamol posted:

That definitely makes a bit more sense. Even at $3,600 per month his net income seems pretty low $43,200... His bonus must be in the $20,000 range or there's other things he's excluding possibly.

Yeah it could just be commission, although why a general number factored in isn't part of the equations beats me. I make half my income on commission, so it varies month to month, but not by that much that I can't plan for it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nitrox posted:

My truck was parked on public street, halfway down the block, in front of someone else's house. I shoveled snow after a heavy storm, and left to run a quick errand. 30 minutes later, there were folding chairs and a milk crate blocking that same spot. So I drove right over that barricade and parked like nothing happened. The crunching sounds were loud enough to be heard 3 blocks away, but nobody came out to complain.

Not that the other party in this story isn't a huge dickbag or anything but "large truck owner destroys other people's property by running it over" is never really something to be that proud of unless you're like, Early Cuyler from Squidbillies

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Baltimore that poo poo is loving endemic. If you move someone's folding chair there's something like an 80% chance your car will get defaced in some way.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

In Baltimore that poo poo is loving endemic. If you move someone's folding chair there's something like an 80% chance your car will get defaced in some way.

In Chicago you will probably be murdered. And then your car will be set on fire.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Defacing other people's cars? You guys need to up your rage game:

Edit: I see Chicago knows where it's at.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I always thought "road rage" was mostly just something news outlets made up out of isolated incidents that were particularly scary until I moved to the city and on my way home from work in pretty light traffic watched a short pudgy middle aged white guy next to me at an intersection get out of his car and scream himself red at this guy who inadvertently blocked part of the intersection. Like he could just go around the guy's car in the intersection it wasn't even a big deal and that intersection sucks and it's really easy to accidentally block it.

The other guy just had the most sheepish like "uhh what the gently caress is going on please don't shoot me you insane motherfucker" face and I looked at him and was like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ after the light changed and the angry guy peeled out and sped off, almost hitting someone else who was also turning.

Cars were the prototype for the internet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you are stopped cross-traffic in an intersection after the light changes you loving deserve to get murdered.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you are stopped cross-traffic in an intersection after the light changes you loving deserve to get murdered.

Again it wasn't all the way across and that intersection is really badly designed, like there's another light 100ft away that you can't actually see until you're under a bridge and by the time you're under the bridge you've already started through the intersection so people gently caress it up all the time. Most of the time I agree but this is genuinely a really badly made intersection where it's very hard to tell if traffic is slowing due to congestion or if there's a red light or what the hell is going on.

e: I've seen lots of people who do it who are then super ashamed of doing it and like gesticulate to me (if they're blocking me) that they're sorry and then frantically try to merge back out into traffic just so they can drive away, missing their turn but avoiding the shame

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 2, 2016

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

DJCobol posted:

In Chicago you will probably be murdered. And then your car will be set on fire.

Which is clearly not part of the accepted protocol: http://chicagoist.com/2013/12/09/dibs_threat_level.php

I've never claimed dibs or seen anyone get crazy over it but I also don't have to park in Lakeview so who knows

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Found the red-faced guy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

ate all the Oreos posted:

Again it wasn't all the way across and that intersection is really badly designed, like there's another light 100ft away that you can't actually see until you're under a bridge and by the time you're under the bridge you've already started through the intersection so people gently caress it up all the time. Most of the time I agree but this is genuinely a really badly made intersection where it's very hard to tell if traffic is slowing due to congestion or if there's a red light or what the hell is going on.

e: I've seen lots of people who do it who are then super ashamed of doing it and like gesticulate to me (if they're blocking me) that they're sorry and then frantically try to merge back out into traffic just so they can drive away, missing their turn but avoiding the shame
The simple rule of not entering an intersection unless you have the right of way and can exit safely helps with that. If you can't tell whether or not traffic is congested or slow then don't enter the intersection. Hope that helps.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

None of that matters because the sun is going to explode someday, though someone will figure out a way to make a MLM scheme out of it.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Psst..."endemic" just means native to or common in a particular geographic area, especially in the sense of "exclusively found there." Like, the kangaroo is endemic to Australia.

Can someone explain to me how saving a parking spot works? I live in Ontario, where winter parking is an exciting adventure for six months out of the year, and I've never seen or heard of this. You shovel out a parking spot on the street, and then block it off? All day? Don't the traffic cops just move your stuff out of the way to clear the space so people can park there? Do municipalities not plough the streets there? None of this makes sense to me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dogfish posted:

Can someone explain to me how saving a parking spot works? I live in Ontario, where winter parking is an exciting adventure for six months out of the year, and I've never seen or heard of this. You shovel out a parking spot on the street, and then block it off? All day? Don't the traffic cops just move your stuff out of the way to clear the space so people can park there? Do municipalities not plough the streets there? None of this makes sense to me.

Yes, basically once you shovel out a parking spot, you put something in it (like a lawn chair, or a cone, or any random bulky article) to indicate that the spot is 'saved' for the person that dug it out. In theory, other people are supposed to respect the effort you put into clearing it, and look for an unmarked spot (or dig their own if they want/can). The spot would generally be blocked off like that all day if you are going to work.

This mostly happens on residential streets, which are not regularly patrolled by police compared to main roads and intersections. In a lot of places (like Boston) this behavior is both an accepted tradition, or even legitimized (legally, in Boston, you can save your space this way during a particularly heavy snowfall and for 48 hours afterward). So the police will not move your marker or give you grief - although sometime the city will clear them if it gets out of hand. Of course, someone is also free to throw away your marker and park there anyway, which many people do, and then you get stuff like people leaving angry notes (this might be a Boston thing) or outright damaging cars that 'steal' a spot, up to occasional fights/violence.

The city plows the streets, but in a lot of places they only clear the traffic lanes, not the parking areas on the sides. In Boston some main streets get fully plowed and so you aren't actually able to park there during heavy snowfall. What this means is that the plows actually shove snow into the parking area, making it more work to clear out your car and requiring you to continually clear it as the street gets re-plowed because new snow will get shoved into parked cars/spaces. Some areas with very high congestion actually truck out or melt their snow, but in a lot of areas they just pile it up as high as possible on the curbs and hope it melts on its own fast enough.

Boston actually contracts out a bunch of plowing, so some of it is done by guys with jeeps or trucks with a plow bolted to the front - they do a lot of small and residential side streets where the big plows don't go/are too busy clearing main roads.

Yes, the whole thing is kind of mental and it only persists because this is how it's regularly been done for so long and people are very defensive/aggressive about it.

I don't know how it works in other places, but in Boston people are also responsible for clearing the sidewalks in front of their homes/businesses rather than having that done by the city, which means that after a heavy snowfall the sidewalks are a total nightmare, and you will have a perfectly cleared sidewalk end a blank 3' wall of snow because that's the property line and the other guy is an absentee landlord/lazy/infirm/etc. and hasn't cleared anything yet. If you use a wheelchair you basically end up having to ride in the road until everyone gets their poo poo together.

Edit: To make this on topic, in Boston you can get fined for not clearing snow on the sidewalks and are responsible if someone slips/falls on your unshoveled snow, so not busting out the shovel as soon as possible is also BWM!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
If someone tried to save a spot that they had cleared for themselves here someone else would immediately park in it and then laugh themselves sick at the idea of someone reserving a spot on a public street. That is BIZARRE.

Here the ploughs clear and salt the roads and then every so often the snowbank eating machine comes and clears away all the snowbanks so that the parking lanes are clear. Or people just park on the snowbank. We also clear our own sidewalks in my city, but some municipalities have little mini sidewalk ploughs that do it.

My city also always runs out of snow removal budget in February every year and then our roads are lovely for two months; not planning for the fact that your winters last until early May is BWM.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

majestic12 posted:

Which is clearly not part of the accepted protocol: http://chicagoist.com/2013/12/09/dibs_threat_level.php

I've never claimed dibs or seen anyone get crazy over it but I also don't have to park in Lakeview so who knows

Nobody does dibs in Lakeview. It might be somewhat street by street dependent but I only see it a few times a winter, max.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Ashcans posted:

I don't know how it works in other places, but in Boston people are also responsible for clearing the sidewalks in front of their homes/businesses rather than having that done by the city, which means that after a heavy snowfall the sidewalks are a total nightmare, and you will have a perfectly cleared sidewalk end a blank 3' wall of snow because that's the property line and the other guy is an absentee landlord/lazy/infirm/etc. and hasn't cleared anything yet. If you use a wheelchair you basically end up having to ride in the road until everyone gets their poo poo together.

The town in NY I lived in did this well for a couple of large streets: they'd made the sidewalk right up against the road or almost so, with no telephone poles or fire hydrants or anything there. When it snowed, they just hopped the plow truck up on the sidewalk and plowed it too. That way you could still walk along the road without being in it. This was only for some stretches of large highways, this wouldn't work in most places obviously.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So if you want to really gently caress with Bostonians you move people's lawn chairs, but don't park so the next car to park there gets keyed.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

the littlest prince posted:

Found the red-faced guy.

I'm not gonna say it's death-worthy, but gridlocking in an intersection is incredibly obnoxious. You tried to sneak through, and now I've gotta wait out at least two more green lights? Come on, man.

The angriest I've ever been when I was driving was when I was trying to get home from work on a Saturday morning; I worked in a bakery and had started my day at 3am, worked eight hours, and was driving home at 11am to go take a nap. I was waiting at a red light, and THREE DIFFERENT CARS gridlocked in front of me. Somebody tried to beat the yellow and got stuck, blocking the intersection so I couldn't go through without pulling into oncoming traffic. After my green light, their lane got a green, and somebody else tried to beat the yellow again, and blocked me again. After ANOTHER cycle, a third car got stuck in the intersection and I proceeded to lay on the horn for the entire duration of my green, just to make sure everybody nearby knew what an rear end in a top hat this guy was. He wasn't any more or less of an rear end in a top hat than the first two, but I also needed to make it clear to the people behind me that I wasn't just not going through the intersection for funsies.

God drat I'm glad I quit that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5g3sau/parents_took_out_student_loans_in_my_name_and/?st=iw86tktt&sh=6e6f7374

Parents took out student loans in my name and spent it on a car/vacations, now they can’t pay it back. posted:

Over the course of 3 years they’ve taken about $45,000 in student loans out from private lenders all in my name only. I graduated in May with about $10,000 in federal loans which I’ve since reduced to $8,000 with a one time payment of $2,000 and I start making my regular payments this month.
I work retail for now while I try to get into my chosen field, which would allow me to pay off the loans I took out within a year or two at most.
The problem is my parents took out so many private loans without my knowledge that I can’t afford to pay the monthly payments and my parents can’t afford it either. 95% of what they spent it on is gone (living expenses, vacations) and their only car I’m pretty sure was bought from the money as well.
I’m afraid that this is going to kill my credit and maybe even get me sued. Where would I begin to get this cleared up?

Bad with parents. How does this happen? Forged signature?

• Locked thread