Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bigperm posted:

Question about Patron of the Orochi:

This untaps itself and it's ability can be used (once) during everyone's turn not just me right?

It'll untap itself as long as it is a forest and/or a green creature (which it naturally is), and yes can be used on the opponent's turn as their turn is a separate turn for "once each turn" effects.

Edit: If a card is both a green creature and a forest, like Dryad Arbor, it'll only be untapped once each activation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

bigperm posted:

Question about Patron of the Orochi:

This untaps itself and it's ability can be used (once) during everyone's turn not just me right?

Yep. You can use it every turn. It's pretty strong in EDH it looks like. It is a 8 drop though so it's to be expected.

So is it just price memory that is causing Jace, Vrynn's Prodigy to stay 18 dollars? Cause the card isn't played in like any decks. In like any format. Unless I'm missing something.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Thank you for that clarification. Making my first EDH deck with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anglachel posted:

Yep. You can use it every turn. It's pretty strong in EDH it looks like. It is a 8 drop though so it's to be expected.

So is it just price memory that is causing Jace, Vrynn's Prodigy to stay 18 dollars? Cause the card isn't played in like any decks. In like any format. Unless I'm missing something.

People who bought it for 50+ don't want to sell it until it spikes again.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

bigperm posted:

Thank you for that clarification. Making my first EDH deck with it.

Kaseto as your Commander seems like what you are wanting, Blue and Green seem far and away the best EDH colors.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Sickening posted:

People who bought it for 50+ don't want to sell it until it spikes again.

Which is ironic because it won't. Not unless Frontier nonsense kicks off. It's too slow for Modern, and doesn't have a home in Legacy from all appearances.

Oh god. Frontier is being pushed so hard because all the mega dealers have massive back stocks of JVP's they buylisted for 40+ dollars and now can't flip isn't it?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Kaseto does look good but I'm going with the patron here for the commander for this first deck. Going mono green. I realize it's a big mana cost for a commander but with green's ramp I think it will be okay. We'll see.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Patron was really strong back when Rofellos was legal as a commander. Those two make a TON of mana.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
Hey Aus & NZ Goons... my website is finally up, and we're doing custom playmats and artist-designed playmats out of Sydney. They're awesome quality (like, right on par with Ultra Pro mats), and we print at 300DPI which means that with a really great source image, the print is reeeally nice. Because we're based in Sydney, AusGoons no longer have to pay crazy shipping and prices in USD to get playmats from overseas. If anyone is keen, check it out at https://www.collectedcompanies.com

Oh, and enter the discount code GLUEGLUEGLUE for 20% off all playmats, including custom playmats. Code is good until the end of December.

Edit: Holy poo poo, only 12 days until my sixteenth SA Anniversary. Yikes.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

Admiral posted:

Hey Aus & NZ Goons... my website is finally up, and we're doing custom playmats and artist-designed playmats out of Sydney. They're awesome quality (like, right on par with Ultra Pro mats), and we print at 300DPI which means that with a really great source image, the print is reeeally nice. Because we're based in Sydney, AusGoons no longer have to pay crazy shipping and prices in USD to get playmats from overseas. If anyone is keen, check it out at https://www.collectedcompanies.com

Oh, and enter the discount code GLUEGLUEGLUE for 20% off all playmats, including custom playmats. Code is good until the end of December.

Serious question - have you considered doing t-shirts with those playmat designs? Because I hate playmats but those designs are great.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

Serious question - have you considered doing t-shirts with those playmat designs? Because I hate playmats but those designs are great.

Why yes, actually I have: http://www.redbubble.com/people/krisegan/collections/448491-companies-of-mtg

And thank you! =0)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Admiral posted:

I love these! It's hard for me to use someone else's playmat design when I draw my own, but I'll share these on Facebook to get you some exposure. Should I mention the discount code, or do you want to keep that Goon-only?

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

BJPaskoff posted:

I love these! It's hard for me to use someone else's playmat design when I draw my own, but I'll share these on Facebook to get you some exposure. Should I mention the discount code, or do you want to keep that Goon-only?

Thank you SO much, that would be amazing! The website is only a couple of weeks old, so the more exposure it gets, the better. Let's keep that code SA only though, if you wanted to share VIP10, that gives 10% off all playmats. You're a legend.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

anglachel posted:

I like him in UW control (circa 6-9 months ago) and also Grixis but the format is too fast right now and packing more answers is where you need to be right now

A lot of the mtg finance guru / binder grinder types that I've spoken to while trading said that if he gets anywhere near $15 they would start picking the card up

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

I like him in UW control (circa 6-9 months ago) and also Grixis but the format is too fast right now and packing more answers is where you need to be right now

A lot of the mtg finance guru / binder grinder types that I've spoken to while trading said that if he gets anywhere near $15 they would start picking the card up

I mean if they want to drop money on a card that probably won't see play in any eternal format that currently exists than sure. It's going to stay too slow for Modern, unless they like ban Bolt and every other piece of removal worth mentioning, and I can't envision what kind of meta game shift would make it good in Legacy.

Did JVP start the recent trend of expensive format shaping mythics that wont ever see play in Modern/Legacy? Like Avacyn seems to have taken up that mantle for now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Remember when JVP saw play as Snapcasters 5 and 6 in legacy delver for two tournaments while looking like a 4 of in Modern Grixis and everyone flipped the gently caress out? You know, if anyone forgot WHY he jumped to an $80 card. His ubiquitousness in Standard is why he stayed that high, though.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

anglachel posted:

Oh god. Frontier is being pushed so hard because all the mega dealers have massive back stocks of JVP's they buylisted for 40+ dollars and now can't flip isn't it?

Yea pretty much, it was Haruya that created it at least, and it was pretty obvious they just want to move unplayed old stock. Though I did get into an arguement on FB with a guy yesterday who is absolutely convinced that a cash grab format is the same as any other because the whole game is about selling cards. He was also convinced that frontier was a new and innovative format.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'm so pumped to watch Flash, Delirium and Vehicles at the Invitational today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

I'm so pumped to watch Flash, Delirium and Vehicles at the Invitational today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There will be some modern though.

4 local tournaments this weekend in the DFW area.

2 Standard PPTQ
1 Modern no ban list 1k (unsactioned)
1 Standard cash tournament

Guess which two had to cancel due to no judges/interest?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 2, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

All of them?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

All of them?

The two standard PPTQ's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

The two standard PPTQ's.

Every PPTQ around here gets 30+ people....

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elblanco posted:

Yea pretty much, it was Haruya that created it at least, and it was pretty obvious they just want to move unplayed old stock. Though I did get into an arguement on FB with a guy yesterday who is absolutely convinced that a cash grab format is the same as any other because the whole game is about selling cards. He was also convinced that frontier was a new and innovative format.
Is it possible to create a new and innovative format of bulk 4cmc+ rares that also isn't EDH because those good cards have already skyrocketed? We need an opposite to tiny leaders as a cash-grab.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I would totes watch a Non-Ban List Modern event.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Every PPTQ around here gets 30+ people....

Some meta's really love to play b/g mirrors all day. :iiam:

I would totes watch a Non-Ban List Modern event.

I think I might go and play jund with all the good stuff in it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Some meta's really love to play b/g mirrors all day. :iiam:

I think I might go and play jund with all the good stuff in it.

I barely play Modern outside of the casual FNM event but I'm a heavy watcher of the weekend SCG events. I know people think the format is great and diverse but it does get a little stale watching the same Infect, Jund, Tron, Affinity, matchups slam into each other every weekend.

I'm not sure how oppressive a unbanned event would be but I'd definitely watch it as a fresh switch up from what we normally get between the regular Modern-Standard events

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I barely play Modern outside of the casual FNM event but I'm a heavy watcher of the weekend SCG events. I know people think the format is great and diverse but it does get a little stale watching the same Infect, Jund, Tron, Affinity, matchups slam into each other every weekend.

I'm not sure how oppressive a unbanned event would be but I'd definitely watch it as a fresh switch up from what we normally get between the regular Modern-Standard events

You'd have Storm and Hypergenesis out the rear end, it would get really bad really fast.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

TheKingofSprings posted:

You'd have Storm and Hypergenesis out the rear end, it would get really bad really fast.

Would Goblin Dark-Dwellers get played in a modern storm deck pre Seething Song ban?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Would Goblin Dark-Dwellers get played in a modern storm deck pre Seething Song ban?

Why would I spend 5 mana to cast a ritual that doesn't net me positive mana?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

Is it possible to create a new and innovative format of bulk 4cmc+ rares that also isn't EDH because those good cards have already skyrocketed? We need an opposite to tiny leaders as a cash-grab.

It's called Reject Rare Draft and it is awesome (in small doses). I probably have enough bulk rares to put together an eight-player reject rare cube but the idea of putting in the effort to curate it for "balance" and keeping up-to-date doesn't sound fun. Plus no one to play it with :(

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sigma-X posted:

Why would I spend 5 mana to cast a ritual that doesn't net me positive mana?

I just checked and Past in Flames is modern legal and was played, I'm dumb :downs:

I've been playing legacy storm with some friends over the last few weeks and no-ban-list modern talk made me think of what you'd substitute for past in flames.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I just checked and Past in Flames is modern legal and was played, I'm dumb :downs:

I've been playing legacy storm with some friends over the last few weeks and no-ban-list modern talk made me think of what you'd substitute for past in flames.

You don't sub out PiF at all, you play it with your Rite of Flames and everything else.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Past in Flames plus Rite of Flames is the most disgusting thing i've heard today, and i love it and want it to happen

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I still think that the best deck in no ban Modern is Infect Shoal

or at least it's my favorite because tolaria west engines are cool and good

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Is it not possible to move the SCG coverage team off the floor and in a booth somewhere? The audio with people walking the floor and whatever sounds the convention center is making and echoing is really annoying

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

So there's this huge difference between legacy storm and modern storm. In legacy, you are trying to count to 9 or 10 as quickly as possible. In modern storm, you're just trying to get a turn with an active ascension/goblin electromancer, and then you storm off for an arbitrary amount. Frequently the thing that adds the ceiling to the deck is that you can't cast any more cantrips without decking yourself because you've drawn most of your deck.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Ahhh yes, a B/G Delirium mirror feature match to start the tournament.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ahhh yes, a B/G Delirium mirror feature match to start the tournament.

This is what the standard is going to be all day.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Admiral posted:

I hadn't seen the Nacatl racing team one yet, but it is right up my alley in terms of F1 fandom and deck selection, bought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

This is what the standard is going to be all day.

Yeah, I'm only watching because I'm working until 5

• Locked thread