Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That is a fun idea! My schedule and timezone is lovely but I'd for sure watch whenever I was around plus it'd make the terrible season two episodes more fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I decided to get the audiobook version since I received a rather generously large iTunes Gift Card the other day. Will probably end up getting the print version eventually too.

I absolutely LOVE the premise here, with the mysterious documents with mysterious commentary and commentary added in on top of all of that. It's so cool. :3:

I haven't finished it yet, but if you like the concept definitely check out the books House of Leaves and S. for something similar.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i'd be down for a group watch. my wife and i have meant to do a rewatch before the new season but ive had trouble getting her to dive into it again.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What's the name of this book? Gonna have to snag a copy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Got the book. About 1/3 through it. Prety good. Reads almost like a real history book.

I'm surprised how big a part Dougie Milford has in it so far.

He was played by Tony Jay, so that's one thing in his favor

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Finished the book yesterday. I enjoyed it, and it's definitely got me even more pumped for the new season. At first I was a little miffed by how much of the book felt like a "Secret history of the X-files", with all the UFO stories, but I liked the turn it took towards the end where it seems the opinion of Milford is that the UFOs and their pilots may actually be from Earth, and more spiritual in nature (that said, I would be very disappointed to see Greys in the new season).

Also, It felt like the section concerning Jack Parsons was alluding to some kind of connection with MIKE: the utterances of the "the magician longs to see…" monologue; the atomisation of his right arm in his fatal accident; and him possessing the jade ring. I know Mike Gerard is missing his left arm, but well, it rhymes!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I just finished the series. Yeah it's a weird one, very captivating but I watched most of it feeling like a dumbass for not getting it or whatever.
I enjoyed my time spent with it though, and I'm sure I'll watch the new season.

Haven't seen Fire Walk With Me yet.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

sout posted:

I just finished the series. Yeah it's a weird one, very captivating but I watched most of it feeling like a dumbass for not getting it or whatever.
I enjoyed my time spent with it though, and I'm sure I'll watch the new season.

Haven't seen Fire Walk With Me yet.

Watch it, but know that it is extremely different from the series. Everything that seemed charmingly quirky in the show is now nightmarish and hostile, and everything that seemed nightmarish and hostile is now straight-up terror.

Fire Walk With Me is such a drat good film.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did you see the fan cut with all the deleted stuff put back in? I preferred it to the original.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I happened to find a clip from a few years ago where David Lynch talks to the Palmer family. He asks them what they have been up to since last we saw them. Being dead, in two cases. Pretty cool, good performances too! Apparently it's from the Twin Peaks Blueray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abHyTbOA0Oo

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lynch's quiet disgust with Leland in that is so great.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Why is there a flatscreen TV in the Black Lodge, though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I should really get on that rewatch thing huh

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Quote-Unquote posted:

Watch it, but know that it is extremely different from the series. Everything that seemed charmingly quirky in the show is now nightmarish and hostile, and everything that seemed nightmarish and hostile is now straight-up terror.

The very first scene is an axe going into a TV which is a bit of a hint.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Quote-Unquote posted:

I still love how they first part is all bizzaro Twin Peaks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I finished reading Secret History a couple weeks back, and while it was a fun and spooky detour I don't know that it really adds that much to the comprehension of the show. The most salient points from what I can tell are:

• Major Briggs knows somewhat more than he lets on
  • Josie is a bigger baddie than maybe we thought
  • Confirmation of who dies in the bank explosion

I don't think all the stuff about UFOs and ancient beings and cults and stuff is anything more than flavor. All it really tells you is that there's a lot of spooky poo poo in the world and there's competing explanations. Basically that the spiritual/supernatural is transformed by the mind of the beholder. It's basically just telling you "the stuff in this show is metaphor, and you will all take something different away from it. Get comfortable with that". Anybody expecting "proper explanations" from the book are likely sorely disappointed, but then again why the hell are you watching David Lynch's work if you want things to be properly explained :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who is the architect or whatever they're called? (dude who wrote the book)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

Who is the architect or whatever they're called? (dude who wrote the book)

It says it flat out at the end, it was started by Doug and then finished by Garland.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

DOUBLE MOUNTAIN MURDER MYSTERY TOWN figures. Definitely NOT Twin Peaks, definitely NOT Lego.

Presumably comes wrapped in plastic.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm such a a sap for legos, I'll probably shell $60 out for that.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I finished reading Secret History a couple weeks back, and while it was a fun and spooky detour I don't know that it really adds that much to the comprehension of the show. The most salient points from what I can tell are:

• Major Briggs knows somewhat more than he lets on
  • Josie is a bigger baddie than maybe we thought
  • Confirmation of who dies in the bank explosion

Is it, at least, an entertaining read? Also how bad we talking, is Josie actually competent?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

DOUBLE MOUNTAIN MURDER MYSTERY TOWN figures. Definitely NOT Twin Peaks, definitely NOT Lego.

Presumably comes wrapped in plastic.

The hell is Not-Audrey holding? Chalk?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nerdman42 posted:

I'm such a a sap for legos, I'll probably shell $60 out for that.

Is it, at least, an entertaining read? Also how bad we talking, is Josie actually competent?

It's definitely a fun read. You should get it. The person in question in your spoiler is an extreme baddie who is 100x more competent than they appeared in the show.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Out of the blue a friend and fellow OG Twin Peaks fan emailed me to say he'd finished the new book,had I read it etc. I was planning on a rewatch over Christmas break, but figured what the heck and tonight's the night.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is Not-Audrey holding? Chalk?

Most likely just a cigarette.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Deakul posted:

Most likely just a cigarette.

the funnier thing with not-audrey is the way they tried to make her sweater look clingy and sexy by drawing lines on the blocky piece, but it just makes her look like some sort of weird pie person instead. like, dude, it's a fuckin' lego. it doesn't have to be a sex object.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

the funnier thing with not-audrey is the way they tried to make her sweater look clingy and sexy by drawing lines on the blocky piece, but it just makes her look like some sort of weird pie person instead. like, dude, it's a fuckin' lego. it doesn't have to be a sex object.

That's what female Legos look like, though. :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And More posted:

Wow. That's real dumb.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wow. That's real dumb.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

And More posted:

Not Lego Friends (tm), though! They look just like you and your gal pals!

fuuuck those things

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"I've heard about you!" 👍😉

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Checked the fb feed today and there is a new promo and it's of David Lynch eating a donut. He's such a wonderful troll.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

Checked the fb feed today and there is a new promo and it's of David Lynch eating a donut. He's such a wonderful troll.

Cup of joe and a side of dough!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

Also, It felt like the section concerning Jack Parsons was alluding to some kind of connection with MIKE: the utterances of the "the magician longs to see…" monologue; the atomisation of his right arm in his fatal accident; and him possessing the jade ring. I know Mike Gerard is missing his left arm, but well, it rhymes!

Just read through the book on a long train ride. I got the impression it was all the ring. Everyone who wears it becomes erratic. The guys from the start, Parsons, even Nixon. It seems to directly connect you with the other world. The arm this was a good spot though.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/SHO_TwinPeaks/status/818579369278914560

Here we goooo

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That's for season 3 right??

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

That's for season 3 right??

Yes.

2 hours pilot, then 2nd and 3rd episode available for streaming right after to subscribers.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Good to finally know what date I should be aiming for if I want time to rewatch everything before the premiere.

Can't wait!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw yiss http://www.thewrap.com/showtime-sets-twin-peaks-premiere-date-long-last/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished The Secret History of Twin Peaks today, right in time for the announcement of season 3's release date which is one hell of cool coincidence.

I'm curious as to what people make of the contradictions between the book's events and the show's events. Like they almost seem too blatant to be an accident. Norma's mother is dead in the book, alive and has a minor subplot in the show. Ben Horne wins the Civil War in his delusions in the show, loses the war in the book. I think Ed and Nadine's backstory is different between the book and show too. I'm half-tempted to include Josie in the book not being merely a femme fatale but also the hardest criminal to have ever gangstered in here too. I think the book even points to her as having planted the bank bomb, which is never the impression I've gotten from the show.

I'm not really sure whether to take this as mere unreliable narration or...something else, like some time travel nonsense or something.
Any thoughts on this?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 10, 2017

• Locked thread