Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

kid sinister posted:

So is it a bug that late in the game when you've already spawned a poo poo ton of apostles already, they now longer get upgrades yet reporting every turn that they have one available? Because I don't see the button to pimp my holy men.

This bug exists and I don't think anybody knows exactly what causes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I haven't paid much attention to the Eureka moments but how are they being abused? I see tasks that I do to speed up technology but haven't noticed getting too far ahead of the AI because of them.
You never get way too far ahead because of it. It just irks me because playing my first game after release I was loving around trying to get used to the new UI and game mechanics, and without really even trying I hit the Medieval Era in 800 BC.

Yeah, if you're a super-mega-pro player who has an intricate understanding of all of the game mechanics you can whip through the Tech and Civic trees, but you shouldn't be able to do it just farting around trying to familiarize yourself with the game. Eureka moments should probably go down to 25%.

A couple of other observations. Maybe I'm nuts...

I like that Warmonger penalties scale, but they move too quickly. From the starting era to the Classical Era the penalties go from zero to heavy for a Surprise War, and from zero to Moderate for a Formal War. The discovery of a tech or a type of government shouldn't be the dividing line between nobody caring about you taking over a city and everyone hating your rear end. The penalties also don't take into account if opponents have declared on you before. Maybe there needs to be a "Revenge" Casus Belli.

There's something I don't quite like about the visuals. It's a minor quibble, and I don't really know what it is. They just seem...not right???...to me. The map seems a little bit busier, and maybe I'm thinking things look a touch too cartoony.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 30, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kid sinister posted:

So is it a bug that late in the game when you've already spawned a poo poo ton of apostles already, they now longer get upgrades yet reporting every turn that they have one available? Because I don't see the button to pimp my holy men.

Sometimes I'll be notified of a promotion (I think every unit gets one after the Terracotta Warriors), and the promotion button won't appear until I've moved the unit one space. :shrug:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Crazy Ted posted:

There's something I don't quite like about the visuals. It's a minor quibble, and I don't really know what it is. They just seem...not right???...to me. The map seems a little bit busier, and maybe I'm thinking things look a touch too cartoony.

It is busy, and some of the terrain features are hard to read. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I think I know why - In Civ V, there was a contrast between the subdued, realistic colours of the game board and the cartoonishly bright UI elements (like borders and icons). This made the icons pop a lot easier, and made the whole game board a lot more instantly readable to me.

I really, really enjoy the aesthetic of Civ VI. It's quite nice to see games veering away from grimdark brown that has plagued games for so long. But the really bright game board makes many of the colourful icons and borders blend in a lot more readily. I find myself taking much longer to simply parse the game board compared to Civ V. It's not lot colourful-on-colourful can't work though- Civ Revolution and Civ IV were just fine. But there's something about the current aesthetic that I find more difficult.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I like the strategic view for its hand - drawn cartoon look but it is marred by dumb icons like the aqueduct, which is just a big green aqueduct logo. Same for other districts. Why?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Decrepus posted:

I like the strategic view for its hand - drawn cartoon look but it is marred by dumb icons like the aqueduct, which is just a big green aqueduct logo. Same for other districts. Why?

They're replaced by the last building built in the district when you build a building, but the aqueducts and neighborhoods don't have buildings so they stay the ugly logo the whole time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I know I'm way late on this discussion, but what's the consensus on the best civs in the game? I'm thinking Rome and Sumeria. Rome because you can gobble up territory faster, build up empire infrastructure faster, and Legions are amazing. Sumeria because of the barbarian camp perk and the fact that you can basically Ziggurat spam your rear end to Mars an era ahead of everyone else if you get the right mix of land.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Magil Zeal posted:

They're replaced by the last building built in the district when you build a building, but the aqueducts and neighborhoods don't have buildings so they stay the ugly logo the whole time.

Just because it is logical does not make it a good UI.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Honestly if they just went back to the look of Civ V it would be perfect.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Video games should continue to improve, but also never change

I especially like the strategy view and, now that I got Kongo up to a jillion people living there, will probably only rarely use housing or aqueducts.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I meant with the look of the map and the UI you big goof.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I meant with the look of the map and the UI you big goof.

So did I!

I think seeing which city-states want trade routes in the trade screen is pretty great, as is seeing their quests on the main map, those problems with V bother me more than sorting through trade routes to find highest gold.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

While I do kinda wish trade routes being on auto-repeat was an option, I can see why it's not one you'd always go for, since you can make roads and trading posts keep widening your trading options.

What IS a really nice quality-of-life feature? City-states that give you an envoy for trading with them have a little "!" marked next to them on the trade menu. I like that.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I know I'm way late on this discussion, but what's the consensus on the best civs in the game? I'm thinking Rome and Sumeria. Rome because you can gobble up territory faster, build up empire infrastructure faster, and Legions are amazing. Sumeria because of the barbarian camp perk and the fact that you can basically Ziggurat spam your rear end to Mars an era ahead of everyone else if you get the right mix of land.

Germany is insane. You can have 3 districts right off the bat, that's commercial, industrial, and campus.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Oh I'm not saying it's good, Civ VI's UI is terrible and at least a 20-year regression. Though I'm less bothered by the visual elements myself than I am by how much information in the game is hidden, poorly explained, or difficult to grasp due to a buggy interface (like city build/growth times not adjusting properly when tiles are swapped).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm not sure how badly the enemy is affected by war weariness (there doesn't seem to be a proper metric for it in the UI) but apparently afflicting his foes with double war weariness served me well as Ghandi because I got ganged up on by both Scythia and Sumeria in a joint war, and fought off their hordes for a few dozen turns. Soon they were begging me for peace settlements.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I must've hit a perfect storm of poo poo because my game keeps crashing to desktop, and in this current game it's not even after a particular trigger action I can try to avoid like the usual crash to desktop issues I've had. I guess the AI has discovered other ways of winning.

Question I can't seem to get answer by googling: in religious lens there's a little red chevron next to the non-dominant religion, is that a marker for "you can't push it any lower without an inquisition"? I have assumed as such and stopped throwing missionaries at foreign cities, but it would be nice to know for certain.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

I agree on both these. China is kind of interesting because you can fast track an Ancient or Medieval wonder with builders. Makes them a good pick for science or religion. Also America is a solid Civ if you want to sit back and play for a culture victory. You earn the government bonuses in half the time and the film studio is a solid UI. Plus the bonus you get for fighting on your home continent makes it tough for other Civs to wage a war on you.

I'd be curious to hear what others enjoy playing as. I haven't gotten around to all of them yet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Niwrad posted:

I agree on both these. China is kind of interesting because you can fast track an Ancient or Medieval wonder with builders. Makes them a good pick for science or religion. Also America is a solid Civ if you want to sit back and play for a culture victory. You earn the government bonuses in half the time and the film studio is a solid UI. Plus the bonus you get for fighting on your home continent makes it tough for other Civs to wage a war on you.

I'd be curious to hear what others enjoy playing as. I haven't gotten around to all of them yet.

China was a hilarious game for me. Rush the pyramids as Qing. Just do it. It's one of the best wonders anyways and with the ability to burn worker charges on early wonders it can get insane. It's great being able to forward settle for a Petra city since your builders can build it up for the city. My last game with them my territory was so full with wonders and great-wall tiles for tourism I couldn't really build anywhere else even though my cities each had another district or two they could build.

The other civ that might really, really want an extra worker charge is the Aztecs, but they can just mulch enemies into workers.

Also, Egypt is actually kinda cool and when I rolled them on random I liked them way more than I thought I would. If you get a good start with a lot of rivers (I had like two branching river systems in my starting area) you get a +15% bonus to any districts or wonders built on those tiles, and you can build on floodplains if you want to/have other good tiles to work. And their unique chariot's a beast.

Japan's also nice for buildings a sprawling empire of compact cities. You rely on your district adjacency bonuses and ignore most others since you get double credit for adjacent district bonuses. And your unique factory makes you want to clump as many cities as close together as possible for those ranged bonuses. Not to mention you get half-off encampments, holy sites and theater districts.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 1, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I have an enormous boner for anyone who gets cheaper districts or can rush them out faster. Japan, Aztecs, and Egypt are really my jam. I don't know if any of those are top tier though (I'd push for Aztecs).

Anybody had experience with Norway? Seems like they're really map dependent, where at least the other "naval" empires get other stuff to do, like England's museums or Spain's Faith murderfest.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aztecs are hilariously top tier. Their build order is "Jag. Warrior" "Jag. Warrior" "Jag. Warrior" for a reason. The ability to just burn workers on districts is incredibly powerful, even if you're going for a (relatively) peaceful end (step 1 in ANY Aztec game is "conquer at least one nearby player or city state")

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You don't even NEED to conquer them, just keep farming them for workers until jaguar warriors get too outclassed, then put on your suit and tie and go to Oslo for your Nobel Peace Prize.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I've found Russia to be pretty underrated.

- They're almost certainly going to get a religion, which helps shore up any other aspect of the game you're lacking, and in any case can easily generate gobs of faith to burn on great people, buildings, etc.
- Obviously, strong candidate for a religious victory.
- Unique district, which is always nice (even if the Lavra isn't as useful as say, Hanse). Useful for a number of reasons; also doesn't count against district limit which again is always good.
- Decent midgame unit in the Cossack (mounted is pretty great in this game).
- Subtle but really useful extra-tiles-on-founding ability
- Tundra bonus is nice I guess? I've not used it that much, but on certain map setups I can see how it would let you get an advantage by taking advantage of some areas that nobody else would compete for.

I wouldn't call them top-tier like Germany, Aztec, and possibly Japan (RIP Scythia), but they're a cut above - or at least more well-rounded than - some of the other middle of the pack civs.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Russia is very good. The Cossack is a seriously broken unit for how early you get it. You just have to get your timing right and a dom victory should be pretty easy (especially if you run Theocracy).

You do have to move to find a better starting spot though, the tundra opening sucks.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 1, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Russia's pretty great but I've never been one for faith-based stuff so I've never played with them. I wish their tundra bonus was food instead of faith because you can't build farms on tundra iirc.

Sumeria's pretty odd. Trampling around with war carts and getting boosts from barbarian outposts is pretty great, but I've never stuck around in the ancient era long enough to leverage that early power, and the AI is too hostile to roleplay GILGAMESH, YOUR BEST WAR BUDDY with them. :( Maybe some kind of joint victory/team victory condition would make playing him more worthwhile.

Gonna try Japan again later - not gunning for a victory in particular but will slant towards "join our religion or die" like Spain. I keep having false starts with them because I always spread out too far and don't exploit the district adjacency between cities.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Russia's Tundra bonus opens up terrain later when you can plant woods in the tundra and then put lumbermills on them, and wooded river lumbermills in the tundra are a great use of tiles that nobody else cares much about. Early on you save a lot of gold buying tiles and midgame you get insane Great Person generation because of the Lavra (can push you into a quick cultural victory if you play your cards right, also good for religion obviously). It has a lot going for it, even before considering its extremely strong UU (and terrible leader ability).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Why is it so hard to theme an art museum? By the end of the game, there isn't even enough art of the right type in the entire world for even one player to pull it off. Great Work trading in Civ 5 was better. Here, it just seems like an idea that was tacked on and not finished before release.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Why is it so hard to theme an art museum? By the end of the game, there isn't even enough art of the right type in the entire world for even one player to pull it off. Great Work trading in Civ 5 was better. Here, it just seems like an idea that was tacked on and not finished before release.

You mean like the combat AI?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ten more complaints about Civ 6 and you get a set of steak knives! Keep it up, champ.

Japan game not going so well, Scythia is next door and she does not like me. Time to shift click on that Military Tactics tech and pray.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Speedball posted:

I'm not sure how badly the enemy is affected by war weariness (there doesn't seem to be a proper metric for it in the UI) but apparently afflicting his foes with double war weariness served me well as Ghandi because I got ganged up on by both Scythia and Sumeria in a joint war, and fought off their hordes for a few dozen turns. Soon they were begging me for peace settlements.
Also, is it just me or do a lot of AI civ's shoot for a peace deal 1-2 turns after you kill one of their units, even if they're invading you?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, is it just me or do a lot of AI civ's shoot for a peace deal 1-2 turns after you kill one of their units, even if they're invading you?

Yes that is really all it takes. They will sue for peace every 10 turns thereafter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It takes a few more than one or two kills for me, but reducing the enemy's war strength in general is what makes them realize fighting you is a bad idea. In my last game my next-door neighbor was China and he was absolutely flooding me with a horde of heavy chariots, but I managed to tech up to crossbows and take many of them down despite being badly outnumbered.

Neat thing I discovered: blasting through a city's walls removes their ability to shoot back at you. Nice.

Fake Edit: Oooh hey, the Mac patch finally hit.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Speedball posted:

Fake Edit: Oooh hey, the Mac patch finally hit.
Have fun being permanently hated by every civ you know if you get dragged into even a single war.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

kid sinister posted:

If you are really pumping culture and Great Artist points, you should be able to theme a couple easily. Many artists produce two or three works each. You will need three or four museums at the minimum.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I need to learn how to make mods. I want one that multiplies all the great-work-holding amounts by ten.

Just sit there, Ovid! I don't have a place for Heroides yet!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

prefect posted:

I need to learn how to make mods. I want one that multiplies all the great-work-holding amounts by ten.

Just sit there, Ovid! I don't have a place for Heroides yet!

There are no mods that do specifically this afaik, but there are mods that give you more places to store Great Works.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

homullus posted:

If you are really pumping culture and Great Artist points, you should be able to theme a couple easily. Many artists produce two or three works each. You will need three or four museums at the minimum.

The problem isn't getting the # of arts, especially since an artist can usually fill up a museum. The problem is that you need to get 3 arts, by different artists, all of the same type in a museum. So you need to get three portraits, three landscapes, three sculpture or three religious paintings, by different artists to get a themeing bonuses. Otherwise you're checking that great-person screen constantly to see if the next dude is even going to produce artists you'll even want. Though at least you can sell off unwanted, non-themeing junk for a decent amount of cash to other civs: they LOVE getting art.

It's so much easier just to say "fuckit" and go archeological. Though if you do get Cathedrals up in your holy sites they an absorb any religious paintings you get, which basically brings the # of types of great artworks down to 3 (sculpture, landscape, portrait) which makes things easier. Especially since a few dudes who do religious stuff also produce other types of art.

It's also really annoying as Kongo because you want nothing but sculptures.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Good spies can steal art for you.

But yeah- themes aren't really something you plan for, just a lucky thing that happens. You can play it a bit with Patronage, but it's still pretty random.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

skeleton warrior posted:

Good spies can steal art for you.

This seems a weird mechanic to me- can other Civs see your great works? Wouldn't you know who stole from you even if they 'evaded' detection?

Also, why can't spies sabotage walls or city defenses? That would be bad-rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

JVNO posted:

This seems a weird mechanic to me- can other Civs see your great works? Wouldn't you know who stole from you even if they 'evaded' detection?

Also, why can't spies sabotage walls or city defenses? That would be bad-rear end.

Probably for the same reason. You could probably guess who did it by who marches through the hole in the wall the next turn.