Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

i've never played one of these games. what was so special about this one?
it's the one that has a young half-naked woman, but because it's a japanese game and not halo it gets a pass

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/376424398023962624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
metal gear solid 1 is a really good game

kojima is peter molyneux but he follows through on every one of his insane ideas

he needs to quit writing dialogue, the dialogue in MGS games is insanely bad

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

metal gear solid 1 is a really good game

kojima is peter molyneux but he follows through on every one of his insane ideas

he needs to quit writing dialogue, the dialogue in MGS games is insanely bad

mgs1 is mediocre at absolute best but it was on the ps1 that was awash in bad games, so a mediocre one gets more attention than it's worth

it's painfully obvious how much kojima wants to make movies because his games got less and less interactive as they went on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've seen this image three or four times in the last couple of days and this is the first time I've' realized it's Mitt Romney, and not George H.W. Bush with Trump in 1987 or something

old white Republicans sure do got a look don't they

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anthonypants posted:

it's the one that has a young half-naked woman, but because it's a japanese game and not halo it gets a pass

lol. I remember seeing this tweet before ( I've never played the game ) and asking yospos what is the reason for her exposure

The sniper girl can't wear clothes because she had her lungs removed to make her shooting more accurate and now she breathes through her skin, you see :pseudo:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Stymie posted:

mgs1 is mediocre at absolute best but it was on the ps1 that was awash in bad games, so a mediocre one gets more attention than it's worth

it's painfully obvious how much kojima wants to make movies because his games got less and less interactive as they went on
no, MGS1 is good (and Twin Snakes remake is gooder)

He does lots of weird interesting gameplay stuff, as well. But he seriously either has the absolute worst ear for dialogue or his stuff is translated straight across very poorly, every piece of information the game gives takes like 5 minutes and could be summed up in two sentences.

seriously I think of him as Peter Molyneux but he commits to whatever stupid thing he thinks of, his games have so many weird interactions

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VXGgbJbXoY

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmav517MQJc
lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingorc posted:

no, MGS1 is good (and Twin Snakes remake is gooder)

He does lots of weird interesting gameplay stuff, as well. But he seriously either has the absolute worst ear for dialogue or his stuff is translated straight across very poorly, every piece of information the game gives takes like 5 minutes and could be summed up in two sentences.

seriously I think of him as Peter Molyneux but he commits to whatever stupid thing he thinks of, his games have so many weird interactions
mgs1 is a game that is mechanically good when compared to ps1-era games but still includes like five hours of cutscenes to tell your dumb child brain that you're supposed to be learning something and that's how you know it's smart

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Stymie posted:

i'm ok with this if he ends up making movies with better casts than what hollywood is making GBS threads out these days

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

anthonypants posted:

mgs1 is a game that is mechanically good when compared to ps1-era games but still includes like five hours of cutscenes to tell your dumb child brain that you're supposed to be learning something and that's how you know it's smart

i think the writing is the dumbest thing in the universe so, uh, no?

its good and fun. games are good and fun

Ferr
Sep 27, 2002

Serious Business Orc
College Slice

i know this guy irl

this is our dumb cyberfuture

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

loving lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

i think the writing is the dumbest thing in the universe so, uh, no?

its good and fun. games are good and fun

quick reminder that "fun" is a useless metric for a game's quality

it is a mediocre game that was the first in an increasingly bad series that was capped off with a game that was so bad it literally killed konami (as a video game company)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stymie posted:

lol no

mgsv was just the most obvious because it was the last straw for konami who chose to literally leave the video game market rather than publish another one of his "games"

please, tell me what was missing from metal gears solid 1-4 or zone of the enders

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
plus my point is that kojima is consistent and if you think all his games are bad then that doesn't detract from his consistency

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Improbable Lobster posted:

please, tell me what was missing from metal gears solid 1-4 or zone of the enders

good gameplay, writing, and in the case of mgs1-4 large chunks of time spent watching cutscenes

plus my point is that kojima is consistent and if you think all his games are bad then that doesn't detract from his consistency

they aren't consistent, they got worse as the series went on and less and less interactive

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

anthonypants posted:

unrelated mildly barely :nws:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stymie posted:

good gameplay, writing, and in the case of mgs1-4 large chunks of time spent watching cutscenes

i'm sorry but good is a subjective metric and thus completely worthless for evaluation of games

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i'm sorry but good is a subjective metric and thus completely worthless for evaluation of games

you are engaging w/ stymie

he is always always always going to disagree w/ you and everyone else

there is a reason why we all have him on ignore and it's that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incorrect, they are objectively bad as in the quality of their gameplay, writing and ratio of gameplay to cutscenes are quantifiable and steadily decline as the series went on, plus they had the objective impact of changing a corporation's business plan to exit the video game industry as a result of their quality

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

you fucks are talking about games too much
http://i.imgur.com/vJiTspU.mp4

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i hope this doesn't awaken anything in me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hope this doesn't awaken anything in me

DON'T gently caress your razor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
but it has a codpiece

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you are engaging w/ stymie

he is always always always going to disagree w/ you and everyone else

there is a reason why we all have him on ignore and it's that
https://twitter.com/adultblackmale/status/804758399707582464

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's not a matter of disagreement, it's correction of incorrect facts

you agree or disagree with opinions, and i don't deal in opinions

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stymie posted:

then provide sources to back up your claims

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hahahahaha "white pride isn't racist" hahahahaha

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

quote:

quick reminder that "fun" is a useless metric for a game's quality
Hahaha ok I had to quote this because god drat, it's just nonsense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm playing Saints Row 3 again because it has a dedicated button to punch people in the nuts

game of the century

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

zone of the enders

loving sucked

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

incorrect, they are objectively bad as in the quality of their gameplay, writing and ratio of gameplay to cutscenes are quantifiable and steadily decline as the series went on, plus they had the objective impact of changing a corporation's business plan to exit the video game industry as a result of their quality

have you played them?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stymie posted:

what's a game you like? all this negativity has been getting me down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stymie doesn't like anything. it's contrary to his nature

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hmm, so stymie likes not liking things?

*sparks and smoke comes out of stymies neck as he tries to resolve this apparent paradox*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the first good metal gear was revengeance.

• Locked thread