Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

mrkillboy posted:

Also also out is The Battle of Polytopia, which might finally be the Civ-like game on mobile you've been looking for all this time.

This is the game formerly known as Super Tribes in iOS, right? It reviewed really well on Pocket Tactics/Touch Arcade: http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-super-tribes/ .

It is apparently more of a puzzle game with Civ-like mechanics, but that seems like exactly the kind of thing that would translate really well to mobile. Thanks for posting this, I was really disappointed that it wasn't on Android and might have missed it entirely with the name change.

Downloading asap, will report on if it's as good as it seems like it could be.

e: Oh drat there's pass and play multiplayer, I hope they add online as well. The scale probably isn't quite right for week long asynchronous play or what have you, but it still seems like it would be good for smaller doses.

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Overminty posted:

I'm pretty sure it's literally a sequel to a Kongregate game

There are two Burrito Bison flash games - one where he gets sucked into gummy land and needs to escape, and one where he goes back for revenge.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Launch games were my favorite type of flash games so Burrito Bison is extremely my poo poo. Is there anything like Into Space 2 for Android? Basically the same idea as Burrito Bison but vertical and upgrading a spaceship instead of luchadors

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mrkillboy posted:

Also also out is The Battle of Polytopia, which might finally be the Civ-like game on mobile you've been looking for all this time.

This is really cool so far!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

If you haven't heard the news elsewhere, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is scheduled to come out on Android next week on Thursday (iOS gets it this week). If I'm not mistaken this will be the first Ace Attorney game to be released on Android outside of Japan, and also Capcom's first Western Android release ever. Hopefully this means we'll finally get Phoenix Wright Trilogy soon enough as well.

Oh gently caress yes! I haven't played one of these in ages and I've had the itch for it.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Rapner posted:

Edit: Gamevil's latest game which looks like a rpg with a slingshot mechanic just got launched. Knight Slinger

How different is this from monster strike?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

mrkillboy posted:

If you haven't heard the news elsewhere, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is scheduled to come out on Android next week on Thursday (iOS gets it this week). If I'm not mistaken this will be the first Ace Attorney game to be released on Android outside of Japan, and also Capcom's first Western Android release ever. Hopefully this means we'll finally get Phoenix Wright Trilogy soon enough as well.

Awwww poo poo!

:dance:

Thanks for the heads up on this.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Man that's awesome, Gavin was my second favorite prosecutor after Godot (sorry Edgeworth). Can't wait to replay that game after so many years.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, The Battle of Polytopia is a really decent miniature Civ-like. It's not really a puzzle in the sense of "you have to solve this setup" -- i think of it as a score-attack version of 4x, because there are too many moving parts to really figure out the 'optimum' play at every step.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Burning Rain posted:

Yeah, The Battle of Polytopia is a really decent miniature Civ-like. It's not really a puzzle in the sense of "you have to solve this setup" -- i think of it as a score-attack version of 4x, because there are too many moving parts to really figure out the 'optimum' play at every step.

My only complaint is that I unlocked the civilization with archery at the start, and that makes the game a joke because of how strong archers are. That being said, I'm primarily playing on Normal vs 3 AI so we'll have to see if that strategy holds up on the harder modes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are there any games like Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes but... offline?
Collecting dudes and having turn based Final Fantasy-esque battles.

For that matter, are any of the Final Fantasies worth getting? Be they F2P or paid.
I've been trying Exvius but it's kind of terrible? Like it feels half finished for the most part.

I love the pixel art though, wouldn't mind a game in the same vein but offline, the wifi at my work is pretty unreliabe.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I just hope that Dual Destinies will make it to Android.

I haven't played any of the games past the DS titles.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So does anyone remember Dungelot? And its terrible sequels? I've been playing Gumballs & Dungeons, which is basically the game Dungelot should have been. Sure there's a stamina mechanic and premium currency like every drat mobile game, but you get enough of both that they never feel restrictive.

It's the same premise -- you uncover tiles in a 5x6 grid and either get stuff or fight the monsters underneath. The thing that makes this a good take on the genre is your little slime dudes (gumballs, I guess) come in like a hundred different classes across four factions, each one with a unique passive ability (like crit chance, or free magic scrolls every level) and a talent that applies across all characters (like +2 attack or 15% stronger lightning bolts). You get a new character every dungeon you clear, and there are a bunch of ways to recruit more. Each gumballs falls into one of three classes, Adventurer, Mage, or Melee, and you spend XP to upgrade titles in a branching tree to earn stats and abilities. You also can take the passives and titles from two other gumballs from the same faction.

The game is also packed with side features, like explorer guys that you send out and they come back on a timer with free stuff, gumball artisans that produce upgrade materials (whom you buy or rescue from dungeons), an airship exploration side-game (with puzzle dungeons, airship combat, and a whole new set of things to upgrade), daily quests, and even the world map has little nodes you can poke for prizes. Each dungeon also has a unique mechanic, like assembling tools from the bones of undead enemies into equipment or a pet, a plant ally that grows by feeding it loot from dungeon enemies, a ghost ship ally, or a magic lamp that you upgrade with a genie. You can also find all seven dragonballs in a dungeon and make a wish. (and the eternal dragon is also an adorable gumball guy)

The stamina mechanic isn't bad, since dungeons take a good while to get through. You can also just spend stamina to raid them for instant loot and xp if you don't have time to devote for a full run. I've never really felt like I couldn't play because of it.

I will warn everyone that the gacha is strong with this one. The premium gacha pulls award fragments of a character, which you also need to upgrade them once you acquire them anyway, ugh. You do get some free pulls to start and from every 5 days worth of daily quests, but I've yet to assemble enough fragments for a character. The game is very playable without them, but you'd have to whale pretty hard to get the gacha characters unlocked and maxed out.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

I had to look this up and it's this https://bothgunsblazingblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/gacha/

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm hesitant to post this since it's barely a game in the conventional sense, but Galimulator is pretty interesting.

It's a galactic empire simulator. You start with an empty galaxy, and a empires rise out of their home systems. They grow, they expand, they degenerate, they split off to form their own empires, they research, they attack, they die off (sometimes piecemeal, sometimes through random events where they just poof), they ascend to a higher plane of existence, plus a ton of other things. There's histographs aplenty, It also tracks families, too.

There's a sandbox mode that I haven't touched yet; I'm way more fascinated just letting the simulation do its own thing while I watch. listen to a podcast, whatever. The game creates its own wordless history, wherein some small out-of-the-way empire takes over a huge nearby empire (which owns half the galaxy!) on the decline. You watch its struggles and successes, until its wiped out one way or another, and you're surprisingly bummed when it happens. But then you look at a history and realize that the two empires currently dominating the galaxy are off-shoots of the original empire, so there's some continuity. But you don't think it'll ever Transcend, because there's four space monsters floating around tearing it up, so they aren't spending their wealth on researching.

There are downsides. It's not the prettiest game on the market, and sometimes I find the UI a little weird. For example, I never finished the tutorial because I pressed the button to continue it, but nothing happened. Or the ad on the top pushed down the save button a bit and covered a button. Or I have to zoom in more than I'd want to select an Empire and see what's going on with it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2016

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So does anyone remember Dungelot? And its terrible sequels? I've been playing Gumballs & Dungeons, which is basically the game Dungelot should have been. Sure there's a stamina mechanic and premium currency like every drat mobile game, but you get enough of both that they never feel restrictive.

It's the same premise -- you uncover tiles in a 5x6 grid and either get stuff or fight the monsters underneath. The thing that makes this a good take on the genre is your little slime dudes (gumballs, I guess) come in like a hundred different classes across four factions, each one with a unique passive ability (like crit chance, or free magic scrolls every level) and a talent that applies across all characters (like +2 attack or 15% stronger lightning bolts). You get a new character every dungeon you clear, and there are a bunch of ways to recruit more. Each gumballs falls into one of three classes, Adventurer, Mage, or Melee, and you spend XP to upgrade titles in a branching tree to earn stats and abilities. You also can take the passives and titles from two other gumballs from the same faction.

The game is also packed with side features, like explorer guys that you send out and they come back on a timer with free stuff, gumball artisans that produce upgrade materials (whom you buy or rescue from dungeons), an airship exploration side-game (with puzzle dungeons, airship combat, and a whole new set of things to upgrade), daily quests, and even the world map has little nodes you can poke for prizes. Each dungeon also has a unique mechanic, like assembling tools from the bones of undead enemies into equipment or a pet, a plant ally that grows by feeding it loot from dungeon enemies, a ghost ship ally, or a magic lamp that you upgrade with a genie. You can also find all seven dragonballs in a dungeon and make a wish. (and the eternal dragon is also an adorable gumball guy)

The stamina mechanic isn't bad, since dungeons take a good while to get through. You can also just spend stamina to raid them for instant loot and xp if you don't have time to devote for a full run. I've never really felt like I couldn't play because of it.

I will warn everyone that the gacha is strong with this one. The premium gacha pulls award fragments of a character, which you also need to upgrade them once you acquire them anyway, ugh. You do get some free pulls to start and from every 5 days worth of daily quests, but I've yet to assemble enough fragments for a character. The game is very playable without them, but you'd have to whale pretty hard to get the gacha characters unlocked and maxed out.

I've been playing the total hell out of this game for the past week, and just love it. There is so much to do and so much hidden stuff to find. I highly recommend it.

I don't think it's terribly rough with the gacha, either. You get a new gumball every maze, there's a hidden gumball to find in pretty much every maze as well. Plus all the gumballs in the airship levels and events.

Also, on your first purchase of any amount, you get a free Terminator gumball at 3 stars, which is super handy and totally worth a $0.99 purchase.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I decided to give that Gumball game a look and it's neat. The letter from one of the devs sounds like they've had a rough time of it and at one point lost some license. The gumballs look pretty similar to Dragon Quest slimes, maybe that was it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FadedReality posted:

I decided to give that Gumball game a look and it's neat. The letter from one of the devs sounds like they've had a rough time of it and at one point lost some license. The gumballs look pretty similar to Dragon Quest slimes, maybe that was it?

The splash screen when you open it has a guy that looks eerily similar to a golem too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been playing Griddlers Plus for a couple of months now, and suddenly I can't swipe to fill in a row of cells anymore. I've tried restarting the app and clearing its cache, but no luck. Has anyone else experienced this?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Just picked up Eisenhorn: Xenos

https://youtu.be/K_LdDMDHrqs

Though buggy, (music drops out and sound effects are wonky) this is a really fun game, more so if you are a fan of the 40k universe.

It plays a bit like a Skyrim or 3rd person Bioshock, with the fighting system of the Batman games. It's really intense graphically but you can adjust the resolution and stuff to make it more playable.

I have a s7 edge and at max settings it can get a bit laggy, but at the default settings it runs great. No IAPs, great soundtrack when it works, and the fighting is genuinely fun. It supports a OTG/Bluetooth controller which makes the game control much much better.

Edit: phone posting video links sucks

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 4, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

overseer07 posted:

I've been playing the total hell out of this game for the past week, and just love it. There is so much to do and so much hidden stuff to find. I highly recommend it.

same

tip: save the pig

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 4, 2016

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Unfortunately you have to roast him a few times for a quest.

So some gumball advice. The best way to clear dungeons, especially once the difficulty gets to 25+, is to use an adventurer and go for the Legendary Hunter title. This upgrades the free item from the demon hunter title to fire a ranged attack every 5 turns. The first adventurer title shows you where enemies are, so you open 4 tiles, then an enemy and you instantly get a free attack with no health loss. As long as you keep your attack higher than mob health, you just instantly clear every enemy.

For endless runs, you fight a boss at floor 30 and every 10 floors after. They get pretty ridiculous after floor 40, so the way to beat them is to take the Great Elf King title instead. Every upgrade of that title gives you an item that deals 10x your attack (half to bosses). Cast disrupting ray to boost your damage and fire them off for 1k+ a hit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I missing something about that gumball game? Tap all the squares, kill the enemies, repeat? To be fair I didn't play it long - and it didn't help that the amount of Engrish was getting on my nerves - but after a bit I debated how much more I could play.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'd like to put in a mention for Spaceship Battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRRvCIw9g6Q

You equip spaceships with components and then send them off to the arena to face designs other people have constructed. It really satisfies both the "build things from parts" and min-maxing itches.

There are IAPs but they are easily avoided if you treat it as a rest break / train ride mobile game.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Am I missing something about that gumball game? Tap all the squares, kill the enemies, repeat? To be fair I didn't play it long - and it didn't help that the amount of Engrish was getting on my nerves - but after a bit I debated how much more I could play.

The first 30 minutes or so are pretty straightforward and slow. After that, you start picking up the different classes and skill trees, linking abilities, more complex dungeons, etc.

Also, I'd suggest joining the facebook group http://gool.gl/2hglWz . The pinned post has a ton tips/strategies, and also a ginat list of secret codes you can use to get a fuckton of free stuff.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

MisterBibs posted:

The dungeon running gets more interesting when the difficulty ramps up with the various things spawning new enemies and enemies with attacks on turn timers. the layer outside that is like a roguelite mixed with the usual gacha or whatever the genre is actually called. You run the dungeon, find some stuff that upgrades your base, some food to upgrade your gumballs, find some new gumballs, and use all that to run harder dungeons or go deeper into the endless ones.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm playing animation domination and I'm wondering about some of the stuff with in game currency... in the current turkey event, it seems like I can pay 50 coins for a random card, or 500 coins for 2 cards with one rare or higher, or also 500 coins for one card rare or higher.

Is it really sub 10% to get a rare, and why would I opt for 1 rare instead of 1 rare and one bonus card? There's very little in game info and a quick Google wasn't much help

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Radiation Island, a surprisingly high quality first person survival game is now out for Android despite the devs initial reluctence to port it over years ago.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Rastor posted:

I'd like to put in a mention for Spaceship Battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRRvCIw9g6Q

You equip spaceships with components and then send them off to the arena to face designs other people have constructed. It really satisfies both the "build things from parts" and min-maxing itches.

There are IAPs but they are easily avoided if you treat it as a rest break / train ride mobile game.

This game is fun as hell!

Is there anywhere you've found that has fun builds?

I've been rolling with this.

I want to fit a shield too, but the warp drive helps mitigate damage a bit, and the long range laser hammers poo poo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

overseer07 posted:

http://goo.gl/2hglWz . The pinned post has a ton tips/strategies, and also a ginat list of secret codes you can use to get a fuckton of free stuff.

This link is messed up in your post, your has "gool.gl" but it should be "goo.gl". (I fixed it in my quote here)

This is a legitimately good roguelike. I'm a bit curious about the energy system, though: I have never come close to running out. All of the dungeons so far have cost 1 or 2 stamina, and longer runs take so much time that I usually end up taking a break midway through, so I end up having full stamina again by the time I want to start another dungeon.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played Merchants Of Space ? It's a logistics game at heart (space ships come in wanting products, you sell them products to make money, use that money for more sellable goods and buildings), with some decent graphics that keep the thing charming, as well as a balancing act on who you serve: serve the Good Guys and you get more points for it, but serve the Bad Guys and you'll piss off the Good Guys but you'll make more money.

I have sold iron bars to a giant space ship commanded by a dog.

The only downside to it I've seen is that I think the IAP can be a bit annoying, but I'm not 100% sure are mandatory-IAP actually are or not. I need certain "special items" to expand, I don't know where to buy them, but I've gotten some randomly so it's still a bit :iiam: for me.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Gumball: What's my best use for gems?

The gool.gl link above isn't resolving but there is this:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/gumballs-dungeons-forums/list-of-secret-codes/1687139128271880

which has a bunch of Secret Order codes, though some have expired and some require you to have unlocked certain features in the game.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So some gumball advice. The best way to clear dungeons, especially once the difficulty gets to 25+, is to use an adventurer and go for the Legendary Hunter title. This upgrades the free item from the demon hunter title to fire a ranged attack every 5 turns. The first adventurer title shows you where enemies are, so you open 4 tiles, then an enemy and you instantly get a free attack with no health loss. As long as you keep your attack higher than mob health, you just instantly clear every enemy.

For endless runs, you fight a boss at floor 30 and every 10 floors after. They get pretty ridiculous after floor 40, so the way to beat them is to take the Great Elf King title instead. Every upgrade of that title gives you an item that deals 10x your attack (half to bosses). Cast disrupting ray to boost your damage and fire them off for 1k+ a hit.

The Spy seems like he'd be perfect for the first method, since his sneak lets you wander around and click wherever you like.

The second appears to have one more requirement -- I took the lantern path to Great Elf King instead of the bow path and I get +20% HP/MP wicks instead.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Apollo Justice is out. $16

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Interesting that Capcom haven't gone with the per episode IAPs on iOS but least you know what you're paying for all up.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 6, 2016

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

MisterBibs posted:

I'm hesitant to post this since it's barely a game in the conventional sense, but Galimulator is pretty interesting.

I stayed up watching this thing and clicking around until 5 am last night. This is so extremely my jam.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
So, Gumballs & Dungeons. It has lists of things I don't have that are dauntingly long like when I get a new gumball and he's of some faction with another 40 gumballs that I don't have which is cool and I like. It has levelling up and a mechanic where your currency for the in dungeon shops is also what you need to rank up your gumball.

The bad sets in when I do the endless dungeon of the Adventurer's Forest twice in a day trying to farm up some food to power up my gumballs. That's when it sinks in that a lot of the playing of this game is going to a tedious but speedy burn through 20-30 easy levels of a dungeon to get materials with no obvious mechanic to skip the first 20 floors with reduced rewards or anything like that. You also have to manually tap every tile to check for enemies to get the important clear bonus you need to rank up at a decent pace.

Considering the bit of extra depth I've unlocked just in my few hours with it I'd be curious to know if there's any speed clear mechanic like that I can look forward to.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

MisterBibs posted:

I've been running this app on my tablet next to my notebook while working, and it's just mesmerizing to see. I'm not sure why, but it's just interesting to have a quick look and see empires rise, splinter and fall.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

FadedReality posted:

So, Gumballs & Dungeons. It has lists of things I don't have that are dauntingly long like when I get a new gumball and he's of some faction with another 40 gumballs that I don't have which is cool and I like. It has levelling up and a mechanic where your currency for the in dungeon shops is also what you need to rank up your gumball.

The bad sets in when I do the endless dungeon of the Adventurer's Forest twice in a day trying to farm up some food to power up my gumballs. That's when it sinks in that a lot of the playing of this game is going to a tedious but speedy burn through 20-30 easy levels of a dungeon to get materials with no obvious mechanic to skip the first 20 floors with reduced rewards or anything like that. You also have to manually tap every tile to check for enemies to get the important clear bonus you need to rank up at a decent pace.

Considering the bit of extra depth I've unlocked just in my few hours with it I'd be curious to know if there's any speed clear mechanic like that I can look forward to.

Play until you reach the 3rd stage and unlock the bandit then you can speed clear stuff. The Adventurers forest and beginner dungeons are very straight forward and boring but later on it gets real fun, as each dungeon has their unique mechanic.

The longer you play the more options you open yourself up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Really enjoying Spaceship Battles, but I can't believe games will still omit an option to turn off notifications.