Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Exmond posted:

So uhh, this might not be the place with it but after my RPG group failed to start up Dresden Files RPG (Lot of effort to make a city) we are starting up Urban Shadows. Kind of has the same urban fantasy premise and the system is more focused on Story rather than mechanics. Has anyone tried it out?

Also any urban fantasy novels with a "Deal with the devil" protagonist?

Stephen Blackmoore's "Dead Things" has what you're looking for, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Grave's Pact also has a literal deal with a devil premise.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Exmond posted:

So uhh, this might not be the place with it but after my RPG group failed to start up Dresden Files RPG (Lot of effort to make a city) we are starting up Urban Shadows. Kind of has the same urban fantasy premise and the system is more focused on Story rather than mechanics. Has anyone tried it out?

Also any urban fantasy novels with a "Deal with the devil" protagonist?

Having played a shitton of both, Urban Shadows does Urban Fantasy really well but doesn't do Dresden particularly well because it's not very cooperative. Players will be doing their own thing and there's a lot of inter-party conflict in Urban Shadows. Monster of the Week is more cooperative Urban Fantasy stuff, for apocalypse world, but is more of a Buffy-like and some of the moves are pretty poo poo compared to later games in the line.

So the problem with DFRPG proper is that it's old. Really old. Newer versions of FATE are straight up improvements to that system. If you're into RPGs at all then I highly recommend using Atomic Robo as a system to run Dresden in, and have written a full conversion guide.

Evil Hat is releasing Dresden Files: Accelerated soon as well, (no eta yet but the beta's been around for over a year) and it's both excellent and way easier to get into than the old DFRPG game. Wish we'd get an update on when that's coming out though.

What wasn't working about city generation? Usually I just say "We're playing here, everyone give me a couple locations of interest and a couple npcs who live there" and go! You probably want a theme and threat for the overarching plot but you can do a lot of fill in as you go style play too.

Shameless plug for Nawlins, which is my PBP DFRPG game that's coming up on our fifth year. Almost done with Book Three!

newts
Oct 10, 2012

newts posted:

Grave's Pact also has a literal deal with a devil premise.

Sorry! It's Graves Pact by Matthew Stinson - I realized putting that apostrophe in there made it impossible to find on Amazon. Actually a pretty fun little book.

eta: Ignore the terrible cover. I swear it had a better one when I originally bought it. I kind of hate that the covers of my Kindle books change whenever they update something :rolleyes:

newts fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 2, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Finished The Hanging Tree, what an absolutely great book.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

tithin posted:

Finished The Hanging Tree, what an absolutely great book.

I really enjoyed it too, especially the new characters.

As a side note, the book has the best handled trans character I've seen by a cis author recently (though Ben Aaronovitch has always done a great job on the diversity front - aside from the one-page trans character in Book 2(?) that was kinda cringeworthy). It mentions that she's tall, but it doesn't obsess over her 'manly' features or repeatedly point out that she's trans like most authors do (the last book I read by a lesbian author really liked the former).

The only part I didn't like was how it just sort of petered out at the end; apart from the new characters and the reveal of the Faceless Man's identity, nothing really happens. I guess I expected that Book 6 (and the third Faceless Man book, since the 'main plot' happens in even numbered books) to be more important. Foxglove Summer had a similar problem sticking the landing another way, where it immediately ends right after Beverley rides a train into fairy land to save Peter, with no "resolution chapter" of any sort.

Anyone else think this after they finished it?

Melusine fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 2, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Daphnaie posted:

No, because it isn't available for those of us that live in the US and can't be bothered to change their address to one in the UK because we can't be bothered to look up a fake address to use.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Daphnaie posted:

As a side note, the book has the best handled trans character I've seen by a cis author recently (though Ben Aaronovitch has always done a great job on the diversity front - aside from the one-page trans character in Book 2(?) that was kinda cringeworthy). It mentions that she's tall, but it doesn't obsess over her 'manly' features or repeatedly point out that she's trans like most authors do (the last book I read by a lesbian author really liked the former).

The only part I didn't like was how it just sort of petered out at the end; apart from the new characters and the reveal of the Faceless Man's identity, nothing really happens. I guess I expected that Book 6 (and the third Faceless Man book, since the 'main plot' happens in odd numbered books) to be more important. Foxglove Summer had a similar problem sticking the landing another way, where it immediately ends right after Beverley rides a train into fairy land to save Peter, with no "resolution chapter" of any sort.

Who was the trans character? Seriously trying to think who it could be. Surely not Lady Ty?

Was a bit disappointed by the Faceless Man identity reveal. It's been made into enough of a big deal that I thought it was going to be a major plot twist.

And yes, I'm wondering when they're going to get onto the big 'everything will change' plot by the Faceless Man that's been hinted at in the last two books. Presumably it's going to be something to do with Mr Punch as per the end of THT. Something do with the Faceless Man taking his power in some way maybe?

And what's the deal with Lesley? Since she's gotten her new face, which was her motive for going to the Dark Side in the first place, what's keeping her working with him? She didn't seem like the sort who'd go fully evil for the sake of it, so either she's looking to get as much information on his plans as she can or there's something else she wants from him.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Daphnaie posted:

The only part I didn't like was how it just sort of petered out at the end; apart from the new characters and the reveal of the Faceless Man's identity, nothing really happens. I guess I expected that Book 6 (and the third Faceless Man book, since the 'main plot' happens in odd numbered books) to be more important. Foxglove Summer had a similar problem sticking the landing another way, where it immediately ends right after Beverley rides a train into fairy land to save Peter, with no "resolution chapter" of any sort.

I was a bit disappointed in the book to be honest, partly for the same reasons you mention.

I mainly got tired of the protagonists being so utterly incompetent and loving up at every turn though. I get the feeling that Aaronovitch wants to keep the Faceless Man and Leslie as mysterious bad guys for as long as possible, while still having them run into the protagonists as often as possible, so they have to somehow escape capture every time. It just gets silly when they just walk out of an elaborate trap that went off perfectly though (Nightingale duelling the Faceless Man one-on-one while Lesley was handcuffed on the floor with two police officers on top of her).

The scene where the Faceless Man was finally revealed also required baffling levels of incompetence from Grant. It was repeatedly stated that interviews were going slowly because Peter had to bring Nightingale just in case the interviewee turned out to be the Faceless Man. Then after doing that a few times, Grant decides to run off to interview someone he suspects might be the Faceless Man, without Nightingale and just Guleed for backup, and then it's his turn to make a miraculous escape.

The new female characters also seemed a bit contrived. An ancient order of British wizards as old as the Folly, and Nightingale hasn't even heard of them until they just suddenly turn up? And yet there's instant, mutual trust and friendship apparently. I don't mind the characters themselves, but their introduction could have been better.

I agree with you about the poor endings, and plot resolution in general. Aaronovitch really seems to be dragging out the story for too long, and always blaming it on police incompetence rather than the bad guys being particularly clever.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I pretty much chalk up anything truly dumb about how Peter Grant explains things to Peter Grant being stupid.

Unreliable Narrator is a real crutch when it comes to that though.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

No, because it isn't available for those of us that live in the US and can't be bothered to change their address to one in the UK because we can't be bothered to look up a fake address to use.
That sucks; I have it in Australia, so I just assumed everyone else in the world would also have the book already.

Hemp Knight posted:

Who was the trans character? Seriously trying to think who it could be. Surely not Lady Ty?
Caroline, Lady Helena's adopted daughter (the one who wants to learn how to fly).

Yeah, I was kinda surprised when it turned out to be someone completely random. It makes sense I suppose from a realistic point of view, but as is usually the case in this sort of situation, the resolution to a mystery being 'some guy' doesn't tend to be super satisfying when drawn out over five books.

I'd rather what's going on with Lesley to not be drawn out too much longer too, because you're right, I'm not sure why she's still loyal to the Faceless Man at this point. I was also admittedly disappointed by the reveal that Lesley got her magic from Mr Punch. The idea that she taught herself lux over the course of the second book was so cool; that she got magic as a consolation prize for being mind raped rather than her own effort left a sour taste in my mouth.

Apoffys posted:

I was a bit disappointed in the book to be honest, partly for the same reasons you mention.
snip
I agree with you about the poor endings, and plot resolution in general. Aaronovitch really seems to be dragging out the story for too long, and always blaming it on police incompetence rather than the bad guys being particularly clever.
I agree about it being a bit odd Nightingale hadn't heard of the ancient Italian(?) wizards. It'd have made more sense if he'd heard of them, but not the mother-daughter off shoot Lady Helena belongs too.

In regards to the Faceless Man story, for some reason I honestly thought things were going to come to a head this book - especially after Leslie's apocalyptic hints in the last book. With a title like The Hanging Tree I honestly expected Nightingale to die duelling the Faceless Man (since Dumbledore always has to die eventually). If that still happens, some rich middle-aged nerd killing Nightingale is going to be so much less satisfying than the creepy and mysterious Faceless Man doing it too.

In any case, it remains to be seen, but I think Aaronovitch shouldn't be dragging this out (since next book will presumably be unrelated to the metaplot). Just wrap up the Faceless Man and have another villain become the Big Bad. Especially if stuff like how Lesley May escapes after her capture keeps happening. At least if she'd been captured at the end (if only temporarily) while the Faceless Man escaped, the novel would have really felt like it made progress. At the moment, however, The Hanging Tree felt like a fun but mostly inconsequential addition to the overarching plot.

I'm glad I only started reading this series six months ago to be honest. Waiting two years for this book would have left me a bit more salty.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daphnaie posted:

I'd rather what's going on with Lesley to not be drawn out too much longer too, because you're right, I'm not sure why she's still loyal to the Faceless Man at this point. I was also admittedly disappointed by the reveal that Lesley got her magic from Mr Punch. The idea that she taught herself lux over the course of the second book was so cool; that she got magic as a consolation prize for being mind raped rather than her own effort left a sour taste in my mouth.

Did she? Peter said early in the book that there is no innate magic ability. Everyone can become a mage, they just need to apply the forma and train, train, train. I thought Mr Punch is "just" in her head somewhat guiding her for his own goals.

Daphnaie posted:

I agree about it being a bit odd Nightingale hadn't heard of the ancient Italian(?) wizards. It'd have made more sense if he'd heard of them, but not the mother-daughter off shoot Lady Helena belongs too..

Yeah, that's what bothered me too a bit. 500 years of tradition would be noted down somewhere in their archives, even if you want to chalk down suppressing the tradition to patriarchy. Especially since Helena clearly had many contacts in the supernatural London underground, the same Nightingale and Peter frequent constantly. But, he isn't the first author to flesh out and retcon early worldbuilding to make the world and story bigger and meatier.

Really liked the book, lots of fun, decent overarching story development (although I read the books more for the "case of the book" than for it), interesting new characters.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

You can order a physical copy mailed. Waterstones and Amazon will ship.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd rather stick to my electronic copies because my dead tree book storage shelves are fully loaded and I haven't enough space to store more books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think the Book Depository might do worldwide free postage.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I'd rather stick to my electronic copies because my dead tree book storage shelves are fully loaded and I haven't enough space to store more books.

I'm sorry, but you can never have too many bookshelves.*

* Includes makeshift bookshelves

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

This, but mostly unironically and I already did look up a fake address but after switching for the last 2 PC Peter Grant books I can no longer be arsed.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm sorry, but you can never have too many bookshelves.*

* Includes makeshift bookshelves

My makeshift bookshelves before I gave up were made of books.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ulmont posted:

This, but mostly unironically and I already did look up a fake address but after switching for the last 2 PC Peter Grant books I can no longer be arsed.

My makeshift bookshelves before I gave up were made of books.

My current bookshelf situation is that the books themselves are stacked in the shelves such that they are providing support for the books on the shelves above them.

If I take too many books off of one of the lower shelves then the bookcase in question will collapse.

Also, we're talking one full wall in my bedroom of bookshelves, one wall is a window, third wall is the dresser/etc., fourth wall is the bed and door to leave the room. Not much else to do there.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Book Depository might do worldwide free postage.

Yup, this is how I bought it.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've enjoyed the first two Kate Daniels novels and was looking at the Mercy Thompson books. I like the world building and Kate's character but endure the romantic aspects. How do the Mercy books compare?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I personally like the fact that Peter is getting Better

he's better prepared, has contingency plans, and he's no longer on the fringes of the police world, people know what he can do, people will work with him and respect him, albeit grudgingly.

I like that it's a very human reason that's caused the faceless man to accidentally reveal his real life identity, I like that Peter has recognised the trap he almost walked into and managed to get out of it

I like that the bullshit with Lady Ty has finally been resolved, and they've come to a mutual understanding with each other, even if they don't like each other particularly much. I like that there's a small opportunity that the folly is going to finally undergo reform and possibly even expand. I want to see some of the people that have worked with the folly over the last 5 books come out and go, no, we need to work with this because this poo poo is becoming more prominent, I want to learn. Can you imagine a wizard version of DCI Seawoll? She'd have none of the faceless mans bullshit.

The Magic is coming back, and The Folly is not ready.

The only part I don't like is the continued reliance on Lux as Peters primary offensive spell, and the fact that the faceless man hasn't recognised it yet. It seems a willful blind spot for someone who's got almost as much as experience with magic as Nightingale has, and who has a drawn out duel with him that he almost wins

mod edit added spoiler tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Really, I should fake a U.K. Address because gently caress the us publishers for constantly releasing three to six months later in the states for no loving reason.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Velius posted:

Really, I should fake a U.K. Address because gently caress the us publishers for constantly releasing three to six months later in the states for no loving reason.

Malet Street
London, WC1E 7HU
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)20 7862 8000

Go nuts.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I'm like 1/3 of the way through Moon Over Soho and I want to repeatedly beat Peter over the head with a D&D monster manual.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Durendal posted:

I'm like 1/3 of the way through Moon Over Soho and I want to repeatedly beat Peter over the head with a D&D monster manual.

Peter is a tremendous idiot which is intentional but is also incredibly frustrating.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Robot Wendigo posted:

I've enjoyed the first two Kate Daniels novels and was looking at the Mercy Thompson books. I like the world building and Kate's character but endure the romantic aspects.

As a word of warning, the romance levels increase while the character becomes more dependent on "Need my Alpha Billioniare Werewolf Pack Leader to save me" stuff and the worldbuilding gets sillier.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Robot Wendigo posted:

I've enjoyed the first two Kate Daniels novels and was looking at the Mercy Thompson books. I like the world building and Kate's character but endure the romantic aspects. How do the Mercy books compare?

Yeah, they're much worse in that regard. Don't do it. I wish I could be more helpful and suggest another series for you...

edit: Maybe check out The Edie Spence series - it's actually pretty good. I liked it well enough. Bear in mind, it's still romancy.

Definitely check out ML Hanover's series Black Sun's Daughter. I actually really liked this one a lot. Solid series.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Khizan posted:

As a word of warning, the romance levels increase while the character becomes more dependent on "Need my Alpha Billioniare Werewolf Pack Leader to save me" stuff and the worldbuilding gets sillier.

Honestly, I kinda think there's the opposite problem. The werewolves get their snouts pushed in so often that they've become the Worfs of the series to show how clever Mercy is that she can outwit the big bad the wolves can't fight. Oh look how badass the new threat is, see he beat the poo poo outta some werewolves....just like the last five villains have. :rolleyes: At this point, especially since Mercy joined the pack and even she isn't afraid of them anymore, the menance has been almost completely drained from the poor dumb furballs.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tithin posted:

I personally like the fact that Peter is getting Better

he's better prepared, has contingency plans, and he's no longer on the fringes of the police world, people know what he can do, people will work with him and respect him, albeit grudgingly.

I like that it's a very human reason that's caused the faceless man to accidentally reveal his real life identity, I like that Peter has recognised the trap he almost walked into and managed to get out of it,

I like that the bullshit with Lady Ty has finally been resolved, and they've come to a mutual understanding with each other, even if they don't like each other particularly much. I like that there's a small opportunity that the folly is going to finally undergo reform and possibly even expand. I want to see some of the people that have worked with the folly over the last 5 books come out and go, no, we need to work with this because this poo poo is becoming more prominent, I want to learn. Can you imagine a wizard version of DCI Seawoll? She'd have none of the faceless mans bullshit.

The Magic is coming back, and The Folly is not ready.

The only part I don't like is the continued reliance on Lux as Peters primary offensive spell, and the fact that the faceless man hasn't recognised it yet. It seems a willful blind spot for someone who's got almost as much as experience with magic as Nightingale has, and who has a drawn out duel with him that he almost wins

Lux is his main go-to because, as he states, it is the first spell that wizards learn. They learn it because it is probably the easiest of the formae to pick up and subsequently modify-- the Faceless Man can't totally prepare for a lot of what Peter does because it's all stuff that he's created himself based on his observations and needs.

I think Peter's actions are easier to understand in the context that he's not really fish or fowl-- at the start of his career he was scheduled to be assigned to evidence control or some sort of similar clerical job because his mind wandered too much to be an investigator. He's not completely a wizard in the mold of the Folly either, because he's too much a policeman (in particular, he has a knack for community outreach and policing that is becoming a more prominent part of most force's activities).

moderator edit to add spoiler tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
please use spoiler tags for detailed discussions of books that are not released in the US yet

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Honestly, I kinda think there's the opposite problem. The werewolves get their snouts pushed in so often that they've become the Worfs of the series to show how clever Mercy is that she can outwit the big bad the wolves can't fight. Oh look how badass the new threat is, see he beat the poo poo outta some werewolves....just like the last five villains have. :rolleyes: At this point, especially since Mercy joined the pack and even she isn't afraid of them anymore, the menance has been almost completely drained from the poor dumb furballs.

I was talking about the Kate Daniels books, not the Mercy Thompson ones. I've never read the Mercy ones.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 3, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

please use spoiler tags for detailed discussions of books that are not released in the US yet

Didn't realise it wasn't out in the US yet, sorry.

Fearless posted:

Lux is his main go-to because, as he states, it is the first spell that wizards learn. They learn it because it is probably the easiest of the formae to pick up and subsequently modify-- the Faceless Man can't totally prepare for a lot of what Peter does because it's all stuff that he's created himself based on his observations and needs.

While I'll acknowledge that the modifiers to Lux are being used in-combat in an interesting way, it's the only "visible" spell that he learns on camera, so to speak. He learns Aquis off camera, and uses it with a modifier during the book once in combat, and once when showing off. It's been five books, and while I get the Lux is interesting, Peters training really needs to take a massive step forward if the combat side of the books is going to be kept interesting.

I mean hell, Lesley's been gone for two books, and she's weaponised techology in that span of time. Peter's still faffing about with Lux.

quote:

I think Peter's actions are easier to understand in the context that he's not really fish or fowl-- at the start of his career he was scheduled to be assigned to evidence control or some sort of similar clerical job because his mind wandered too much to be an investigator. He's not completely a wizard in the mold of the Folly either, because he's too much a policeman (in particular, he has a knack for community outreach and policing that is becoming a more prominent part of most force's activities).

moderator edit to add spoiler tags

Agreed - there was a very telling series of lines during the book with Peter not so subtly reminding Nightingale that technically, they are police. They are the arm of the law. "We're either the police, or we're not" which I don't think is something that Nightingale has really taken on before, he's done his job on his own terms up until Peter comes along and reminds him that he has a duty, and Peter takes his oath as a policeman extremely seriously, so much so that it's caused Nightingale to have some introspection and start stepping up to the plate in that respect, with him modernizing his policing techniques.

I personally think that Nightingale needs Peter a great deal, both to keep him modern, and to give him a goal in life, something I'd argue he didn't really have prior to taking on Peter as an apprentice. The Folly was falling apart, and Nightingale was functionally on his own, now he has hope of a sort, and there's the chance that the folly will continue when Nightingale goes - and I do think that Nightingale will eventually die in combat, probably to the faceless man when his grand plan comes to fruition

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tithin posted:

I mean hell, Lesley's been gone for two books, and she's weaponised techology in that span of time. Peter's still faffing about with Lux.

First book made it pretty clear that Lesley was a better natural magician than Peter was, and possibly a better policeman. Peter's pretty good at the politics/diplomacy stuff though, even with how he fought with the Lady Ty.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Malet Street
London, WC1E 7HU
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)20 7862 8000

Go nuts.
I thought the common practice was No. 10 Downing Street, don't tell me they stopped buying that.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Yeah, they're much worse in that regard. Don't do it. I wish I could be more helpful and suggest another series for you...

edit: Maybe check out The Edie Spence series - it's actually pretty good. I liked it well enough. Bear in mind, it's still romancy.

Definitely check out ML Hanover's series Black Sun's Daughter. I actually really liked this one a lot. Solid series.

Thanks, Drifter. I'll look into those ones. I didn't know ML Hanover was actually Daniel Abraham. I've enjoyed his work quite a bit.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tithin posted:

Didn't realise it wasn't out in the US yet, sorry.

While I'll acknowledge that the modifiers to Lux are being used in-combat in an interesting way, it's the only "visible" spell that he learns on camera, so to speak. He learns Aquis off camera, and uses it with a modifier during the book once in combat, and once when showing off. It's been five books, and while I get the Lux is interesting, Peters training really needs to take a massive step forward if the combat side of the books is going to be kept interesting.

Lesley's also had tutelage from someone that has none of Nightingale's scruples and then there's the whole matter of what sort of influence has Punch had on her too. She's also had ample time to devote herself to her training now that she has no other job, while Peter still has to be a police officer. It's mentioned a couple of times that training to be a competent magical fighter takes years and even then, a wizard can be stopped much the same as another person with a bullet or explosives. I think Peter is where he is supposed to be-- it's Lesley's progress that's unnatural.

Just a thought, but it's also worth remembering that Nightingale came into the police role after completing his rehabilitation post-war. Prior to that, there have been some hints that he worked for the Colonial Office before taking up arms during the Second World War. He was seconded to the Met by virtue of being the last remaining practitioner in the Folly, so he really does sit outside of the police culture as he was never really immersed in it like Peter was during his academy days. Remembering this helps keep his actions in context, he's not just old fashioned.

I'm sorry, I'll do this going forward.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Robot Wendigo posted:

Mercy series is better than kate Daniels by far. the early books in each of her series suffer from the "should I love him" internal dialogues, but frankly, you can skip those parts easily because they're segregated in the books, and don't permeate normal chapters. and they lessen as each series moves on. Briggs does the fae better than any of the other urban fantasy writers, better research and connection to old tales, and her native American stuff is well done, too.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

anilEhilated posted:

I thought the common practice was No. 10 Downing Street, don't tell me they stopped buying that.

221b Baker Street worked fine for me previously.

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

I just noticed this on my Amazon recommended items list

Bound Alex Veras

Had no idea it was coming out this quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've picked up Nightshifted, Unclean Spirits and the first Mercy Thompson. (Thanks Torgeaux and Drifter). Started Mercy. God, she's so nice. After two novels with Kate, I'm not used to this.