Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I played that build this league (using static strike) and it is very good. It not only got me further in the game than ever before, it was also the cheapest build I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Spaghetti
Dec 1, 2002

Existence is overrated

i can still taste him posted:

I played that build this league (using static strike) and it is very good. It not only got me further in the game than ever before, it was also the cheapest build I've played.

I'm still considering that build, but blade flurry is calling. I've tried putting together a juggernaut tree for use with blade flurry. Would love some comments on it.

http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAQcRMwCBx...sZdpN3VAAAAAAA=

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Ugh I am so split about being FotM and going Assassin CI Blade Flurry as a first char because it looks super fun and staying far the hell away from it so I can avoid trying to compete for gear with people who have way more time on their hands. But then I think, "Hey, I can do it with rares.... right?!"

Only like 7 hours until I get home from work and will have to decide! (It's a tossup between that and some classic ED action since it's been a few leagues since I've done one.)

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Flying Spaghetti posted:

I'm still considering that build, but blade flurry is calling. I've tried putting together a juggernaut tree for use with blade flurry. Would love some comments on it.

http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAQcRMwCBx...sZdpN3VAAAAAAA=

If you were dead set on going jugg sword bladeflurry, i would want something more like this. Alternatively, since you are taking RT, 1hand axes might be better than than swords. Axes have higher base damage compared to swords, and the axe damage nodes don't give you useless stats like accuracy %. If you wanted to go all in on block chance, i would prefer going Duelist-Gladiator to get more block, and spell block parity.

http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAPMRMwB3x...QbGXaTd1QAAAAAA

Flying Spaghetti
Dec 1, 2002

Existence is overrated

funmanguy posted:

If you were dead set on going jugg sword bladeflurry, i would want something more like this. Alternatively, since you are taking RT, 1hand axes might be better than than swords. Axes have higher base damage compared to swords, and the axe damage nodes don't give you useless stats like accuracy %. If you wanted to go all in on block chance, i would prefer going Duelist-Gladiator to get more block, and spell block parity.

http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAPMRMwB3x...QbGXaTd1QAAAAAA

I agree, but blade flurry does not work with axes.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Flying Spaghetti posted:

I agree, but blade flurry does not work with axes.

Why let that stop you.

Also, i forgot that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there any way to go back to the old client once I've tried the dx11 client? No matter which exe i run it from now I always seem to get the dx11 client, which crashes constantly for me.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Is anyone here going cyclone with their first build?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I'm gonna try a Crit Molten Strike Deadeye build. Deadeye has a lot of really interesting pieces, and most of them fall in place for Molten Strike.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...82Y_o9N4yT951Q=

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 2, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I was debating cyclone but I think I'm going to audible (back) into raider blurry, I spent a long time loving around with that tool & messing around on standard last night and think I've got a pretty decent version. Half the reason was just realizing I'd have to mule or buy a2-3 gems off the bat for my other builds and not wanting to deal with that in the first half hour-hour of a league.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Hauki posted:

I was debating cyclone but I think I'm going to audible (back) into raider blurry, I spent a long time loving around with that tool & messing around on standard last night and think I've got a pretty decent version. Half the reason was just realizing I'd have to mule or buy a2-3 gems off the bat for my other builds and not wanting to deal with that in the first half hour-hour of a league.

I'm going marauder, so i can be a gem buying surrogate. Since a lot of people will be doing shadow/ranger but wanting some strength gems.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm leaning towards doing my first ever bow character. I know the game decently (played 4 of the first 6 leagues then took some time off and came back for essence) and I really want to use caustic arrow but I'm afraid I may not be powerful enough endgame. Should I just stick with a lightning arrow if I want to go bow?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm leaning towards doing my first ever bow character. I know the game decently (played 4 of the first 6 leagues then took some time off and came back for essence) and I really want to use caustic arrow but I'm afraid I may not be powerful enough endgame. Should I just stick with a lightning arrow if I want to go bow?

There was a pretty good caustic arrow build last league, I think either shadow or ranger. Regardless, I'd probably level with the usual tshot/LA then make a decision later on based on what I got, and what I'll need.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

funmanguy posted:

Is anyone here going cyclone with their first build?

I am, can't decide between Slayer or Raider.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
My raider based take on Mathil's dream feather build was so much fun in essence, I am so stoked for the ascendancy changes to do that build again.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Putting my Noncrit Ele Blade Flurry Raider into that Path of Building calc and seeing it spit out six digit DPS figures with just mediocre gear is exciting.
I sure hope most people go crit or phys so I can snag a relatively cheapo noncrit ele weapon early.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Sotar posted:

i kinda want to make a build that uses Malachai's Vision

What I discussed about this in Discord yesterday: The hat is like 350 ES but requires all your items to be corrupted. Vaaling a great ES shield and chest is scary and not really worth the risk. This means it's probably best to use for Eldritch Battery.

As it turns out, 100 ES regen per second is more than the mana regen pretty much anyone actually gets now. This means even if you don't invest in any ES gear or any specific setup to get ES regen like stacking life regen + Zealot's Oath, you should be able to sustain your skills just off of Malachai's Vision. It's a very low investment way to sustain skills that use a lot of mana.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am looking over stuff in my stash to get an idea of base weapon ranges.

Two handed swords: 11
Daggers: 8
Staffs: 11
One handed mace/Scepters: 9
Two handed axes: 11
Claws: 9
Pokey swords: 12
One handed non-pokey swords: 9

I think we are hugging pathofexile.com to death, can't load much more.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Maddot_66 posted:

My raider based take on Mathil's dream feather build was so much fun in essence, I am so stoked for the ascendancy changes to do that build again.

this sounds really drat cool now with the raider buffs, do you have a general tree you're thinking of using?

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Bluemillion posted:

I'm gonna try a Crit Molten Strike Deadeye build. Deadeye has a lot of really interesting pieces, and most of them fall in place for Molten Strike.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...82Y_o9N4yT951Q=

I like molten strike a lot so I have a lot of thoughts, which you can completely disregard because this is a video game and who cares. However:

That's a pretty small amount of crit off the tree, especially given that the melee multiplier has no impact on the projectiles which are going to be your main source damage. Most two handers (which I'm guessing you're aiming for given those marauder passives) have awful base crit too, so you'll likely end up with better dps just going resolute technique and finding a better home for those few crit and accuracy passives. My experience has been that if I can't invest pretty heavily in crit, it's better not to invest at all. Crit/crit mult have super strong synergy as you build up more, but at the low end the increased damage is really poor for the investment especially since it forces you to chase accuracy as well.

You're pretty close to two clusters that provide elemental and fire penetration which you are really going to want for the late game since more than half your damage is converted to fire and everything resists it. The gem alone will do ok but you should at least grab the fire cluster between duelist/marauder.

You may find that increased aoe really annoying for single targets unless you make room for a conc effect swap. Even at base aoe, it's hard to get a lot of MS projectiles to hit a single target unless the hitbox is huge.

You absolutely want to get point blank. MS projectiles barely travel any distance so they get almost the full bonus (last I checked anyway). On the flipside, that 30% more from the deadeye node is actually almost useless for the same reason.

That one extra projectile is nice but you can get 2-3 off a lab helmet enchant or just use GMP, so it is not a huge selling point for deadeye. Overall, there are a lot of better classes/ascendancies for MS. If you're intent on a ranger, raider has been improved to a pretty crazy degree and the sheer attack speed and damage would likely give you a better offense than the extra projectile and crit. It's certainly got better defense which is nice since MS forces you into direct melee range. Chieftain has a lot of fire damage synergy and good defense through regen.

Inquisitor would be my choice, especially if you really want crit. Inevitable judgment is one of the most absurd nodes in the entire game. Being able to ignore resistances entirely frees up a curse, a link, and any need for trying to get passive penetration (lol) off the tree, while giving you yet another reason to get as much crit as possible. I'd do dual wield ele foils or ele claws with something like this tree. This is built for hardcore so you could probably drop some regen and life if you don't care about dying every once in a while.

Claw on-hit intrinsics work better with MS than pretty much any other skill in the game. You can get upwards of 1000 life on hit per second pretty easily, along with regen and life leech. Swords have more crit options on the tree and will make it easier to get near 100% effective crit. Foils carry more crit multiplier too which becomes gigantic when you always crit. Either way, the great thing about a crit-heavy inquisitor is that you ignore all elemental resistances instead of only one type, so your base skill just becomes a vehicle for packing on as much added ele damage of any type that you can find on gear, auras, etc.

I hope you enjoyed my incredibly long essay about how to kill video game goblins. Bye

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

funmanguy posted:

I am looking over stuff in my stash to get an idea of base weapon ranges.

Two handed swords: 11
Two handed axes: 11
Two handed maces: 11
Staffs: 11
One handed mace/Scepters: 9
One handed axes: 9
Daggers: 8
Claws: 9
Pokey swords: 12
One handed non-pokey swords: 9

a full list

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

Vaaling a great ES shield and chest is scary and not really worth the risk.

there are plenty on poe.trade, you just have to pray it got the colors you need. anything with a good corrupted effect will be a billion ex but a corrupted 6L shavs is like....5 ex cheaper than the noncorrupted version.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Most importantly.

Fishing Rods: 11

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Flying Spaghetti posted:

I'm playing from Malaysia and sometimes a get terrible lag spikes. Played tornado shot last league and it was so fragile. Any lags resulted in death. Looking for a much tankier build. That shield makes me want to play gladiator. Think I'm going to follow this build. Any other builds worth considering?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1647240/page/1

Ugh don't make me doubt my build at this hour

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Save me from my hell GGG

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5g4ddr/ggg_please_let_us_carry_over_stash_tab_names/

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Oh hey, you're still alive.

It really is loving stupid we have to go through this every league.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Patch is up. Make sure you download all 170.8% if it!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

YoungSexualNorton posted:

I like molten strike a lot so I have a lot of thoughts, which you can completely disregard because this is a video game and who cares. However:

That's a pretty small amount of crit off the tree, especially given that the melee multiplier has no impact on the projectiles which are going to be your main source damage. Most two handers (which I'm guessing you're aiming for given those marauder passives) have awful base crit too, so you'll likely end up with better dps just going resolute technique and finding a better home for those few crit and accuracy passives. My experience has been that if I can't invest pretty heavily in crit, it's better not to invest at all. Crit/crit mult have super strong synergy as you build up more, but at the low end the increased damage is really poor for the investment especially since it forces you to chase accuracy as well.

You're pretty close to two clusters that provide elemental and fire penetration which you are really going to want for the late game since more than half your damage is converted to fire and everything resists it. The gem alone will do ok but you should at least grab the fire cluster between duelist/marauder.

You may find that increased aoe really annoying for single targets unless you make room for a conc effect swap. Even at base aoe, it's hard to get a lot of MS projectiles to hit a single target unless the hitbox is huge.

You absolutely want to get point blank. MS projectiles barely travel any distance so they get almost the full bonus (last I checked anyway). On the flipside, that 30% more from the deadeye node is actually almost useless for the same reason.

That one extra projectile is nice but you can get 2-3 off a lab helmet enchant or just use GMP, so it is not a huge selling point for deadeye. Overall, there are a lot of better classes/ascendancies for MS. If you're intent on a ranger, raider has been improved to a pretty crazy degree and the sheer attack speed and damage would likely give you a better offense than the extra projectile and crit. It's certainly got better defense which is nice since MS forces you into direct melee range. Chieftain has a lot of fire damage synergy and good defense through regen.

Inquisitor would be my choice, especially if you really want crit. Inevitable judgment is one of the most absurd nodes in the entire game. Being able to ignore resistances entirely frees up a curse, a link, and any need for trying to get passive penetration (lol) off the tree, while giving you yet another reason to get as much crit as possible. I'd do dual wield ele foils or ele claws with something like this tree. This is built for hardcore so you could probably drop some regen and life if you don't care about dying every once in a while.

Claw on-hit intrinsics work better with MS than pretty much any other skill in the game. You can get upwards of 1000 life on hit per second pretty easily, along with regen and life leech. Swords have more crit options on the tree and will make it easier to get near 100% effective crit. Foils carry more crit multiplier too which becomes gigantic when you always crit. Either way, the great thing about a crit-heavy inquisitor is that you ignore all elemental resistances instead of only one type, so your base skill just becomes a vehicle for packing on as much added ele damage of any type that you can find on gear, auras, etc.

I hope you enjoyed my incredibly long essay about how to kill video game goblins. Bye

Yep, that build's dead. You saved me quite a bit of time.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

queue up gogogogo

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Probably everybody already knows this but: if the game fails to launch directly from Steam, you can go into SteamApps -> common -> Path of Exile and 'Run as Administrator'.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
less than 1k people ahead of me :smug:

it's 999 :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Will I be able to pick a Scion right out of the gate or do I have to get through A3N with something else first? Mathil recommends Scion for ED/Contagion as a league starter.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

whypick1 posted:

Oh hey, you're still alive.

It really is loving stupid we have to go through this every league.

Yeah it's not like I was super active last league or anything

Also yeah once you unlock scion it's unlocked forever

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ciaphas posted:

Will I be able to pick a Scion right out of the gate or do I have to get through A3N with something else first? Mathil recommends Scion for ED/Contagion as a league starter.

Unlocking Scion is a one-time thing. If you've ever made it to normal Dominus, you have the Scion (assuming you didn't skip over her accidentally).

Goa Tse-tung posted:

less than 1k people ahead of me :smug:

it's 999 :negative:

Stupid second patch delayed me and I'm ~5K :smith:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

9k :negative:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm looking at a Warchief totem guide and it takes Resolute Technique. Does that have any effect on my totems? I can't see the point.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

But surely the servers can handle 12k players at any one time right? I would be surprised if any of the first 20k players in the queue would have to actually wait once the servers are back up

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

queeb posted:

this sounds really drat cool now with the raider buffs, do you have a general tree you're thinking of using?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Maddot_66/characters

Dumbeye was my dude from Essence. I doubt that it is set-up perfectly, but I was able to do t14 maps without too much trouble. I can only imagine what this can do once I spend the full time on it, and with the buffs I ended up getting.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Can't decide between Elemental EA, EQ/Blade Flurry Jugg, or some sort of ED character. And I only have 47 minutes to pick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'd think it has exactly the effect you'd expect? They stop missing but can't crit anymore.

• Locked thread