Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
loving digs from Hamilton, what a manbaby he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can't believe Rosberg bottled it so hard he retired.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Alain Post posted:

He's so loving mad he won't get the chance to beat Nico for his title lmao

SO. loving. MAD.

Looks like Nico ultimately won the #mindgames :smugberg:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is the ultimate mindgame. Nico's masterpiece.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

Max had one over hyped result early on and will now fade into mediocrity and midfield crashes like his father did.

He has provided more on track entertainment than any other driver in years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

Pastor...

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I agree. That does not make him a skilled driver though.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The irony is that if I was to pick a driver closest to Max's driving style I would say Pastor.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

This is the ultimate mindgame. Nico's masterpiece.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

GramCracker posted:

SO. loving. MAD.

Alternatively Lewis' #mindgames made Nico retire because he realized how much of a fraud he is.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

GramCracker posted:

SO. loving. MAD.

I don't think getting forced out your sport is winning at mindgames

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

The irony is that if I was to pick a driver closest to Max's driving style I would say Pastor.

Pastor was another driver who was unfairly tarred as a dirty driver by this fail forum.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I dunno man, didn't he nurse his tires for like 53 laps or some crazy poo poo for his win? I think he's as talented as anyone on the track considering this is his second season.

I don't like him, but he impressed me mightily this year (Nico's save in Brazil was still better).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Realistic driver options:

Bottas
Wehrlein
Nasr
Ocon
Perez

RBR will fight tooth and nail to keep :frog:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

"This is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop."

Amazing. The worst thing about hating Hamilton must be being unable to enjoy things like this.

5 days. That's got to be the shortest WDC reign in history right? Unless you count Jochen Rindt's which was technically negative... fuckn' lol Nico you couldn't even win that vs a dead man.

Also, a class act? He literally said he considered leaving in Japan- so either he's lying or he was potentially going to be a driver that lost the championship 3 times then rage quit. Classy.

The reason he just gave on the radio for quitting is that he was literally incapable of spending even 1 night with his newborn child so his wife did all the work. This makes me a better parent than Nico as well as a faster driver apparently.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

There's probably some mileage in that, the crucial difference is that the quality of your driving when your style is banzai is limited by your talent. Verstappen demonstrably has that in amounts Crashtor Maldonaldo could only dream of.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pastor's win was in a far worse car than Max.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Max Verstappen will dominate the next 10+ yeara of racing, you homps.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

keevo posted:

Alternatively Lewis' #mindgames made Nico retire because he realized how much of a fraud he is.

Lewis fan spotted

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Denying Max's raw talent at this point is ludicrous, honestly.
You can say you don't think he has the race-craft to apply it, though.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Pastor's win was in a far worse car than Max.

And what a fluke that turned out to be.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

And what a fluke that turned out to be.

MOOOOOOOOODDDDSSSSSS

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

There's probably some mileage in that, the crucial difference is that the quality of your driving when your style is banzai is limited by your talent. Verstappen demonstrably has that in amounts Crashtor Maldonaldo could only dream of.

Basically my view is that creating an reputation that you're going to crash into people unless they move out of your way is not a skill. Look at Abu Dhabi, every guy he passed pretty much leapt out of his way because they know he's going to create an incident if they don't. People keep comparing them to Senna and Schumacher for doing the exact same thing and I agree but it should be a criticism not looked at as a good thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

People here are afraid of a little contact. :sad:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Basically my view is that creating an reputation that you're going to crash into people unless they move out of your way is not a skill. Look at Abu Dhabi, every guy he passed pretty much leapt out of his way because they know he's going to create an incident if they don't. People keep comparing them to Senna and Schumacher for doing the exact same thing and I agree but it should be a criticism not looked at as a good thing.

Fundamentally I don't think we're in disagreement. But the thing is Verstappen hasn't caused a big incident, he's just not chickened out of some rather brave moves. Maldonado DID crash into people on a number of occasions and was bankrolled by a state oil company. Senna DID crash into people. Schumacher DID crash into people. I actually think that is wrong and should be punished. What is loving hilarious is that people are branding Max as being like Maldonado, Schumi and Senna yet he hasn't actually closed the door on anybody so late that he's driven them into an accident. None of his moves in F3 caused any controversy, so the question is are the old guard failing to adapt or is there something fundamentally wrong with the way Verstappen goes about his racing?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

quote:

This is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop.

:supaburn:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Except those two are widely regarded as two of the best the sport had ever seen...and both raced like assholes.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

:laffo:

Also, Motorsport Manager is excellent fun if you're into that type of thing at all.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Feel free to praise Max as the second coming, but don't be surprised if other people don't share your view until we've seen him race when he has something to lose.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Except those two are widely regarded as two of the best the sport had ever seen...and both raced like assholes.

I think Schumacher had genuine skill and pace, particularly in the early Ferrari years and was worse off for racing like that. Senna not so much.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I think Schumacher had genuine skill and pace, particularly in the early Ferrari years and was worse off for racing like that. Senna not so much.

I hate Senna, but are you sitting there saying he didn't have genuine skill and pace? Or did you just phrase that badly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Senna was a fraud who only got his F1 seat by bullying poor Martin Brundle. Fact.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My dad will only refer to Senna as "that cheating Brazilian swine"

Ours was a Prost house :colbert:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

To this day I'm amazed he retained the title in '95 yet was disqualified in '97 for the exact same (but shoddily executed) dick move.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

I hate Senna, but are you sitting there saying he didn't have genuine skill and pace? Or did you just phrase that badly.

Dude lost a championship an incredibly stupid crash into Mansell who was already black flagged. I think that sort of cancels out any inherent skill.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Senna was a fraud who only got his F1 seat by bullying poor Martin Brundle. Fact.

Username checks out.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

To this day I'm amazed he retained the title in '95 yet was disqualified in '97 for the exact same (but shoddily executed) dick move.

'97 was so stupid because he just drove the ever living gently caress out of that shitbox Ferrari and it would've gone down as the biggest tragedy in the world if he hadn't have tried that move at the last race.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Seriously watch that F3 doc where Senna's performance absolutely nose dived because halfway through the season Brundle decided he had enough of Senna's bullshit and let him crash. I can easily envision that scenario happening with Max.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Some of you are beyond saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

https://youtu.be/Z38qfEdlaO4

• Locked thread