Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
for the same reasons i vote / donate / volenteer (once, before the orange crush :argh: dam u mulcare) for the socalists up here; i like having one country cutthroat capitalist where ill move to when i have some innovative idea to start or whatever and one country where i can kick the can down the road and be lasy as gently caress and chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
canadian trumpism would suck anyhow; it would be alot of beating up naatives and chinese I guess? and i like both of em

only way it has a chance is like all the refugees rape terrorize and pillage or whatever

OR even worse it would be anti american trumpism :cry: fatbacks comin over the border gotta build a wall

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

loquacius posted:

Trying to figure out what this post is in response to other than "the existence of progressives", comin up short so far

thats just it.

idk if you remember but this guy harangued the old bernie thread and got laughed out a bunch of times just because of "progressives exists."

he's here to scoff at your idealism and mock bernie in way of hillary

b-but he also had a celebrity endorsement that meant nothing too!!1 :qq: as a concern troll that Bernie is just like a centrist democrat with wonk policies and isn't passionate about reaching the working class.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

for the same reasons i vote / donate / volenteer (once, before the orange crush :argh: dam u mulcare) for the socalists up here; i like having one country cutthroat capitalist where ill move to when i have some innovative idea to start or whatever and one country where i can kick the can down the road and be lasy as gently caress and chill

ill make the wiki

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
http://freebeacon.com/blog/clinton-campaign-blames-james-comey-for-losing/

quote:

Two weeks before Election Day.

Jim Comey strode into the Clinton war room’s meeting area, eyes ablaze, hair perfectly coiffed. He didn’t have time for this—he had the whole FBI to run, goddammit—but when he heard Hillary Clinton’s campaign was in trouble, he knew he had to step in.

It was Comey Time.

Assembled before Comey was the cream of Hillary’s crack campaign staff: Podesta, Mook, Palmieri. Comey—who everyone in D.C. knew to be the real brains behind Clinton, Inc., given that he, James Comey, had personally convinced Hillary Clinton to use a private email server in order to dodge government transparency laws—had called them together in the glass-walled conference room at the Brooklyn HQ. As 37 staffers under the age of 25 poured their mental energies into crafting a perfect 140-character missive on the other side of the transparent partition—would it be “slay queen” this time or “yassss queen”?—Comey told the chumps to sit.

“I’ll be brief,” Comey said, pausing for a moment. “But I won’t be pleasant. We don’t have time.”

Mook nodded vigorously, almost twitchily.

“Whatever you say, boss. We’re here for you.”

Comey’s eyes narrowed. He had never liked the slim-suit wearing wunderkind, and wasn’t sure if he was being mocked. He let it slide. The fate of the country was at stake, after all.

“So, let me get this straight,” Comey started. “Your polling shows that Trump is either tied or slightly ahead in Michigan. The internals. That’s what you’re seeing?”

“Right,” Podesta sighed, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. “It’s closer than we thought it would be. We’re thinking of pouring money into the—”

Comey raised a hand, silencing Podesta.

“Look. Dumb-dumb. If you start pouring money into the state, then Trump will know it is close. I can’t believe I have to explain this to you. Do you even know what game theory is?”

“Well sure, but, you know, certainly his polling will show—”

“Jesus, don’t talk again Podesta. No. Money. Into. Michigan. Don’t want to tip ole Trumpy off. Now, Wisconsin.”

Palmieri nodded, pulling out a sheet with the internals. “We’re up by a point, but the Feingold campaign has been begging us to make a stop for weeks now; he seems to think he’s in real trouble.”

“Oh what does that wanker know about campaigning; it’s his campaign finance nonsense that allowed us to raise a trillion loving dollars or whatever.”

“OK, but still, he knows the lay of the la—”

“Look, it’s close, but Wisconsin’s part of the blue wall, right?”

“Yeah.”

“And you don’t, like, inspect a wall every week to make sure it’s not going to fall down, do you?”

“Well, no.”

“We’re not going to Wisconsin. Instead, here’s what we’re going to do: pour money into Nebraska.”

Podesta, Palmieri, and Mook exchanged a worried glance. Comey could feel his blood pressure rising. He couldn’t believe he was going to have to explain this too.

“Look, geniuses: we want a blowout here. It’s not enough to scrape by with a victory in Wisconsin and Michigan and Pennsylvania, we have to—”

“Pennsylvania doesn’t look good either,” Mook interjected. “He’s pulling cl-, closer?” Mook stuttered, and stopped. Comey was walking around the conference room table, his eyes locked on Mook’s, striding with purpose, arm reaching back as he rounded the corner, his hand striking Mook meatily across the mouth with an open-handed slap when he got to the little nothing’s chair.

“You done?”

Mook whimpered.

Comey, straightening his tie, returned to the other side of the table.

“As I was saying. We don’t want to just scrape by. We want to CRUSH HIM. We want to DESTROY HIS SPIRIT. We want to EVISCERATE HIS CAMPAIGN. And to do this, we need to win one electoral vote in Nebraska. We’re going to pour money into Nebraska. We’re going to spend more money in Nebraska than we are in Wisconsin and Michigan combined.”

Silence echoed throughout the room. Palmieri took notes.

“Good. Now, about Pennsylvania. We’re not going to address voters’ concerns about jobs or manufacturing. That’s kiddie crap. I heard Bill Clinton was carping about our ignoring the white working class? gently caress ’em. And gently caress him. Does Bill even know what the word intersectionality means? I’ve got three words for you: Broad City gifs.”

More silence.

“You want to win elections? You don’t turn out reliable voter bases like middle aged white people. No: you flood Twitter with gifs in the hopes of growing your voting bloc of young people. Everyone knows college kids and recent graduates are totally unreliable voters who can barely be counted on to show up for work without a hangover. What this strategy presupposes is: maybe they aren’t?”

Slowly, Podesta began to nod.

“Jen, you get on the phone with Lena Dunham and Amy Schumer and that British nothing, what’s his, on HBO?”

“John Oliver,” she replied.

“Right, that dong. Get them out there, get them shilling for us. Between them they have like three million viewers; we should spend as much time as possible cultivating their support. Lord knows things like ‘appealing to people who are worried about their economic future’ isn’t going to win anyone a goddamn thing in this election. We need celebrities to hector the people who pay for their entertainment. That will certainly not inspire a backlash and can’t possibly blow up in our face.”

“Got it,” Mook whispered.

Comey glared at Mook and thought briefly about smacking him in the mouth again, just for fun, before turning toward the door. “Don’t make me come back here. Do your jobs. This isn’t rocket science—it’s a presidential campaign.”

The team had their orders. And if they didn’t win? In Jim Comey, they had their fall guy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

ill make the wiki

lol way ahead of u

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i enjoyed this fan fiction and it was not at the mcdonalds drive thru

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

I think this is the same guy who wrote a 7 part fanfiction about a contested GOP convention the week before Indiana went Trump and everyone conceded

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

fits my needs posted:

I thought Bernie's minority outreach consisting of using Killer Mike to shill for him was pretty transparent and rang hollow. Not to mention most Run the Jewels fans are affluent white college kids.

When the George Clooneys and Katie Perrys of the world are slobbering over Hillary Clinton's ladyjunk, you gotta take what you can get. Killer Mike, Susan Sarandon and Sarah Silverman...

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if democrats learned nothing and still managed to fail their way upwards back into the white house in 4 or 8 years. In 2004 dem's thought they needed a red state moderate and they won with Barack Obama. In 2012 republicans said they needed to soften up on minorities and they get Donald "Mexican's are rapists" Trump in the white house.

The next democratic president could win while still running a campaign liberal smugness and making GBS threads on rural America as long as they get higher turnout in the cities...of course that does dick-all for the house and senate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...nothing matters.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

With that logic the dnc might try to put up a Lieberman while a literal communist wins everything

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

You gotta run both, the first to make them not want to vote Trump, and the second to undermine the reasons they DO want to vote Trump. Just adding more stuff to the bad pile is never gonna counteract the goods, which weigh more - you gotta attack his strengths too and make him weak enough his weaknesses can bring him down when they are attacked as well

Agreed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, Senate Democrats are laser focused on the real problem in America: Hamilton tickets.

TBH that's a good idea (I haven't seen the details of the bill so I'll reserve judgement on whether it is actually a good bill). But of course they put it in terms of Hamilton instead of concerts or football tickets.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nichael posted:

What do you do if you can't find meetings for your state senate or state representative district? Because unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I'm not seeing anything about Democrats in my part of Delaware having meetings like this.

I would absolutely like to get involved on a major level within the near or immediate future, but it seems like the points of entry are a little obfuscated. I called my state Democrats HQ and was told to talk to my local district guy, but he hasn't answered once after three or four calls.

This seems to be a common experience and it's bullshit.
If you know which Representative District you're in, you might be able to find the next meeting here: http://www.deldems.org/upcoming-events

You might even go to a different RD meeting if it's close enough, just to get an idea of what's going on and what meetings are like.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

With that logic the dnc might try to put up a Lieberman while a literal communist wins everything

If we're going to live in a totalitarian surveillance state, we should at least have the simple pleasure of watching CEOs have their corporations nationalized.

Literal Communist 2020!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, Senate Democrats are laser focused on the real problem in America: Hamilton tickets.

even still, its a good move. gently caress scalpers

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

TBH that's a good idea (I haven't seen the details of the bill so I'll reserve judgement on whether it is actually a good bill). But of course they put it in terms of Hamilton instead of concerts or football tickets.

kind of surprising Dems want to get middle men out of ticket sales when they required everyone to buy healthcare from middlemen.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

comingafteryouall posted:

kind of surprising Dems want to get middle men out of ticket sales when they required everyone to buy healthcare from middlemen.

universal healthcare is not a right

on the other hand you just have to see hamilton it's so good

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

which is gonna be just great because while I agree gently caress them when they try to act like being anti-Israel is being anti-Jew, they're also about the only major group who were willing to say poo poo like 'hey Trump is surrounding himself with neo-nazis' at first. So yea, glad they're gonna probably fade away and then the only major advocate for Jewish people will be...I dunno some just purely pro-Israel group I guess.

Nah, it's going to be actively conservative groups like the Zionist Organization of America, which has close ties to Adelson and has actively praised Bannon.

The ADL's demise is vastly overstated though. The reason Schumer felt comfortable ignoring their condemnation of Ellison is that they'd been okay with Ellison for over a week before their abrupt about-face. The context for their sudden turnaround isn't just the tape - that's just an excuse. The problem is that the ADL deeply prizes its non-partisan reputation, which has already been under assault for some time. Pro-Israel groups with conservative leanings or donors, like ZOA, have spent the last month or two accusing the ADL of being left-wing shills who in the tank for Hillary, because of the ADL's willingness to call out Trump and Bannon. Most of the other non-partisan pro-Israel groups have been pointedly avoiding saying anything about Trump for fear that he's too polarizing and prominent to touch without getting dragged into partisanship; in fact, AIPAC got burned by that early in the campaign. Now the right has been carrying out an organized campaign to delegitimize the ADL, claiming that they backed a Muslim Brotherhood conspirator while demonizing the most pro-Israel cabinet member ever. Two days ago, the ADL started a big PR blitz to push back against the right-wing delegitimization campaign, and condemning someone on the left in order to demonstrate that they're not just anti-GOP is almost certainly part of that.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Hamiltion heals the sick

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Thoguh posted:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i keep thinking u guys are talking about william hamilton and its confusing

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

bump_fn posted:

we're talking about the video game Doom actually

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

our healthcare system is so hosed that the only way to fix it is to make it so bad that the public will have no choice but to allow the government to step in and say "medicare for all!" and BOOM! universal healthcare

baby steps

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I sat in on a state Dem party organizing call today. Someone brought up Pantsuit Nation and asked if the state party would build them an organizing site without really explaining why. I think they just wanted a nicer message board to post on than Facebook while being catered to.

"You know, we just need a website so we can get the Pantsuit Nation involved to let them find information on democratic groups and they can make posts about stuff!"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bump_fn posted:

brb writing a broadway musical about the quaternion group

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

jerry seinfel posted:

I sat in on a state Dem party organizing call today. Someone brought up Pantsuit Nation and asked if the state party would build them an organizing site without really explaining why. I think they just wanted a nicer message board to post on than Facebook while being catered to.

"You know, we just need a website so we can get the Pantsuit Nation involved to let them find information on democratic groups and they can make posts about stuff!"

Did you suggest Something Awful dot com as a great place for organizing?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

tadashi posted:

Did you suggest Something Awful dot com as a great place for organizing?

hell yeah i did

jk i kept my phone on mute and i'm waiting on them to send out volunteer forms. posting on the internet aint do poo poo

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause. I will travel across the land, searching far and wide. Teach Pokemon to understand that Bernie would have won.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

jerry seinfel posted:

what everyone really needs to know is that state & local parties are almost always terrible

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

greatn posted:

I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause. I will travel across the land, searching far and wide. Teach Pokemon to understand that Bernie would have won.

Herman? Herman Cain? Is that you?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

what everyone really needs to know is that state & local parties are almost always terrible

Yeah they sent out invitations to this onboarding call (and one at 8pm tonight and one at noon Saturday) last night. Almost a month after a horrible electoral loss and after people were at their most pissed off.

It was radio silence from them for weeks. Maybe they were prepping for things to have volunteers do but they should have been looping people in while doing that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WarMECH posted:

Herman? Herman Cain? Is that you?

Herman! Herman, it's Marvin. Your cousin, Marvin Cain! You know that new sound you were looking for? Well, listen to this! *points phone at greatn's post*

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Here I come, rougher than the rest of them, the best of them, tougher than leather. You can call me Bernie. I'm not in a gurney, yeah you chuckle. I'd rather flex my muscles.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

It's like the Democratic party is so focused on national politics, they gave up on states and local elections years ago.

Related:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/804771237981392896

tldr: Do the goddamn work.

I think it's still going to be hard for Democrats because state and local GOPs are supported by chambers of commerce and industry-specific associations. They're enfranchised and organized by default. They have huge advantages to get their candidates elected and get their policies pushed.

tadashi has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Dec 2, 2016

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
lmao

https://twitter.com/cascamike/status/804430996619853825

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like this little article:

http://theweek.com/articles/664828/hillary-clinton-blew-most-winnable-election-modern-american-history-fault

quote:

Let's start with the truly inexplicable (and underreported) way Clinton spent the crucial month of August. She'd just come off a highly successful Democratic convention and acceptance speech that produced a significant bounce in the polls. Instead of building on that momentum, she … disappeared, taking an enormous amount of time off the campaign trail less than three months from Election Day. Oh sure, she held frequent fundraisers to small groups of wealthy Democrats, where she placed large numbers of voters in a "basket of deplorables" and ultimately raked in the enormous one-month sum of $143 million.

But large campaign rallies? Not so much. And this lost month was of course followed in mid-September by pneumoniagate, which added to her down time. The result? From the end of July up until the eve of the first presidential debate on Sept. 26, just six weeks from the election, the Democratic nominee was largely out of the public eye.

But at least Clinton had all that money! Surely she and her Democratic allies used it wisely for strategic, devastating ad buys against her opponent. Right?

Wrong. As Simon Dumenco argued in Ad Age on the day after Clinton's defeat, the Democrat's approach to advertising was all wrong — and predictably so. Ad after ad "was simply a variation on the theme that Donald Trump is a big jerk," very much including the spot I saw more than any other in the Philadelphia suburbs during the final two weeks of the campaign: innocent kids listening to outrageous Trump comments followed by the tag line, "Our children are watching. What example will we set for them?" That might have worked if voters weren't already well aware of Trump's behavior by that point — and if the message wasn't more than a little condescending, as if Clinton was telling voters that all Trump supporters are bad parents.

But even if Trump's vile statements and behavior had been less widely known and the condescension could have been dialed back, focusing so lopsidedly on Trump's character (while saying so little about policy and the future of the country) was both foolhardy and sharply divergent from past norms of campaigning. As an analysis by The Upshot's Lynn Vavreck has shown, "More than three-quarters of the appeals in Mrs. Clinton's advertisements … were about traits, characteristics, or dispositions…. Since the start of presidential campaign television advertising in 1952, no campaign has made 76 percent of its television ad appeals about any single topic. On average, traits typically garner about 22 percent of the appeals. The economy typically generates about 28 percent of the appeals. There's usually much more balance."

To those who scoff at the suggestion that Clinton would have benefited from talking at greater length about policy, I'd point out that the idea isn't that she needed to plunge into greater specifics. On the contrary, an over-abundance of specificity on small-ball proposals that micro-targeted the panoply of groups in the Democratic Party's identity-politics-based electoral coalition was precisely the problem.

Where was the overarching vision for the country and its future?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
i remember when the NYT article came out talking about Clinton disappearing for a month to hang out at billionaire fundraisers and her supporters were convinced that it was Good Clinton Strategy

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

LinYutang posted:

i remember when the NYT article came out talking about Clinton disappearing for a month to hang out at billionaire fundraisers and her supporters were convinced that it was Good Clinton Strategy

it did a good job of getting a message across to voters. "gently caress you if you don't have money"

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

it did a good job of getting a message across to voters. "gently caress you if you don't have money"
I remember the white noise machines that were essential to prevent damaging material leaking out :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

seems like a good rule in presidential campaigns is "don't poo poo on the electorate"

• Locked thread