Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Count Roland posted:

I think its pretty funny a formula was actually suggested.

What do the variables represent? Is there a document that shows this formula in context? Has anyone evaluated how this would play out in the real world?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallagher_Index

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Haha do the Liberals think voters are scared of math?

that entire formula can be represented in one short sentence in plain english - they're betting (and they may be right) that people will get freaked out by a summation sign inside a square root. That's practically the same characters that ISIS uses donchaknow!

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Why on earth do the standards for online voting need to be 10x stricter than in person voting?

The current system has no way of ensuring that bought votes are excluded, yet that doesn't appear to be an impediment to holding elections. That's arguably far more likely to be a widespread problem than an abused spouse being forced to flip a single vote.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I'm not entirely sure the Liberals know what they're doing here either. Anyone under forty has grown up hearing about climate change and seeing nothing done, so I don't think the pipelines are going to gradually become ok and forgotten by the average Canadian. I really don't

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

yippee cahier posted:

Why on earth do the standards for online voting need to be 10x stricter than in person voting?

The current system has no way of ensuring that bought votes are excluded, yet that doesn't appear to be an impediment to holding elections. That's arguably far more likely to be a widespread problem than an abused spouse being forced to flip a single vote.

If anyone tries to buy my vote, I can just tell them I'm voting the way they want while actually voting the way I want. They can't actually watch me vote.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Where do I sign up for $400m more worth of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb55teb1gJ0

He's branched out to W https://www.facebook.com/MajumderManor/

Trapick posted:

Just want to highlight this, as it's the absolute drop-dead problem with online voting. Even if (giant if) you could fix all the technical problems, do proper authentication, eliminate the threat of malware, guarantee against network interference, etc. etc. etc., you still couldn't do a drat thing about having an abusive husband watching over his wife's shoulders as she votes online. Going to an elementary school, walking behind a curtain, and making a mark on some paper is a really good way to run elections.

The same issue currently applies to voting by mail, which is currently an available option

OSI bean dip posted:

You haven't answer my questions. What makes you so sure besides your qualifications that they're irrelevant?

I try to post in 3, maybe 4 sentences between doing important things to stay productive. Sometimes I may even find good articles from my RSS reader that are relevant. Right now I've pressed F5 so I have just enough time to press post. By the end of this sentence, I will sadly be back to work.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

yippee cahier posted:

Sure it does. Bought votes are excluded because you can tell the person who bought your vote "I'll totally vote for your guy" then go to your polling station and secretly vote for the other guy, then leave and say "Yeah I totally voted for your guy". s. 164(2)(b) of the Elections Act even disallows displaying (or taking a picture of) your ballot so it's illegal for someone to ask you to prove it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

I try to post in 3, maybe 4 sentences between doing important things to stay productive. Sometimes I may even find good articles from my RSS reader that are relevant. Right now I've pressed F5 so I have just enough time to press post. By the end of this sentence, I will sadly be back to work.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

s. 164(2)(b) of the Elections Act even disallows displaying (or taking a picture of) your ballot so it's illegal for someone to ask you to prove it.

Okay buddy listen you can buy my vote, that's all good but s. 164(2)(b) is where I draw the line, I'm definitely not taking a picture to prove it, that's ILLEGAL. Cavote emptor.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

If anyone tries to buy my vote, I can just tell them I'm voting the way they want while actually voting the way I want. They can't actually watch me vote.

vyelkin posted:

Sure it does. Bought votes are excluded because you can tell the person who bought your vote "I'll totally vote for your guy" then go to your polling station and secretly vote for the other guy, then leave and say "Yeah I totally voted for your guy". s. 164(2)(b) of the Elections Act even disallows displaying (or taking a picture of) your ballot so it's illegal for someone to ask you to prove it.

They can turn around and buy an unprincipled person's vote instead of your insincere promise of a vote in that case.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Okay buddy listen you can buy my vote, that's all good but s. 164(2)(b) is where I draw the line, I'm definitely not taking a picture to prove it, that's ILLEGAL. Cavote emptor.

yippee cahier posted:

They can turn around and buy an unprincipled person's vote instead of your insincere promise of a vote in that case.

The point is that someone unprincipled enough to agree to vote-buying is probably unprincipled enough to lie to the vote-buyer and vote however they want anyway.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yippee cahier posted:

what guarantees that that unprincipled person will vote the way the vote-buyer wants?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/sorry-vancouver-the-rest-of-canada-needs-pipelines/article33123104/ posted:

Sorry, Vancouver: The rest of Canada needs pipelines

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley should bundle up when she comes to Vancouver next week to sell the merits of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline. She is in for a frosty reception.

There is no bigger opponent of the pipeline than the city’s mayor, Gregor Robertson. When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the project’s approval this week, Mr. Robertson didn’t hide his disappointment. It was clear the pair’s bromance had taken a hit.

In a statement, Mr. Robertson talked about how Vancouver had the strongest and greenest economy in the country. He boasted about the tens of thousands of jobs that had been created in the city in the past year alone. All of which, he contended, could be jeopardized by the Trans Mountain project.

It’s safe to assume that many in the rest of the country were seething as they listened to the mayor talk about how sweet life is in Shangri-la, where residents can bike to work 12 months a year. Unfortunately, it isn’t so grand everywhere else.

In Alberta, tens of thousands of people have been without work for 18 months. Many of them have used up their employment insurance benefits and have moved on to welfare. On the other side of the country, in Newfoundland, things are even worse. Thousands of workers there depended on the oil patch for employment too. They are sitting at home, idle, losing their homes to foreclosure and their trucks to debt collectors.

People in Vancouver need to get out of their idyllic little bubble and see how things are in the rest of the country. Not everyone has lucked into a small fortune as a result of home ownership. Many people across this country live day to day.

Of course, in a perfect world we wouldn’t need a Kinder Morgan. There would be no pipelines. There would be no need to upset the good people of Vancouver. Unfortunately, Mr. Trudeau does not have the luxury of governing on the basis of what is good for one small region of the country alone. He needs to take a broader view. Trying to navigate the intraprovincial waters of environmental stewardship is a fraught endeavour.

There is not a hope in Hades the Prime Minister could sell a pan-national carbon strategy without approving at least one pipeline. There is not a chance Ms. Notley could bring in the most radical climate action measures her province has ever known without something in return. Politicians are compelled to make imperfect tradeoffs every day. And Mr. Trudeau was just forced to make one: In order to achieve a consensus on fighting climate change, to finally put a price on carbon across the country, he had to give up something. It was a pipeline.

It doesn’t mean the country’s commitments in Paris are now blown. No one knows that for sure. There are credible climate scientists who still believe it is possible but will take a lot of work. Yes, it will. And it could well mean there is anger and disappointment ahead for those now cheering the Kinder Morgan decision. That is the way it works.

Those opposing the pipeline need to take a longer view. What is happening in Alberta – the phase-out of coal-fired generating plants, an eventual carbon levy of $50 a tonne, a firm cap on oil sands emissions – was unimaginable even five years ago. Getting the country’s biggest environmental laggard to take this kind of leadership leap is significant. But it is also an achievement that would be impossible without a pipeline.

People can say Mr. Trudeau’s Liberals are now going to lose every seat in Vancouver because of this decision. Okay, so that happens and the Conservatives return to power. Do environmentalists and others opposed to this decision believe they will be further ahead if that happens? The Conservatives have shown a strong commitment to many things, but the environment is not one of them.

People can threaten to make Kinder Morgan their Standing Rock, to use any means possible to thwart the project, but if they think it is going to advance their cause in the rest of the country, they are delusional. The worst possible move Mr. Trudeau could make on the environment would be to capitulate on Kinder Morgan in the face of violent protests. The national backlash it would create would be fierce and long-lasting.

It’s okay for the people of Vancouver to demonstrate their disappointment – to send a message to the rest of the country. It just shouldn’t be “Let them eat cake.”

The arrogance and condescension in this is infuriating. Love the little threat at the end too... "If you dare to punish the Liberals for this, the Conservatives are coming back to wreck your poo poo even worse!"

You know, when the fight comes to Burnaby Mountain, I think I might actually be willing to get arrested for the first time. gently caress it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

I won't argue with jm20 on this further because he has admitted to being a low-content poster.

vyelkin posted:

This makes sense to me and is something I never considered when I took a photo of my vote--of which I posted in this thread. That said, what would be appropriate punishment for this?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

I won't argue with jm20 on this further because he has admitted to being a low-content poster.

This makes sense to me and is something I never considered when I took a photo of my vote--of which I posted in this thread. That said, what would be appropriate punishment for this?

Apparently you can get a $1,000 fine and up to three months in jail.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope no one protests the pipeline in a way that inconveniences or annoys anyone else, that would be un-canadian. Protests that can't be 100% ignored are against our love of rule-of-law, they're also economic terrorism.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

yippee cahier posted:

because we are highly qualified and respected sysadmins

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

I hope no one protests the pipeline in a way that inconveniences or annoys anyone else, that would be un-canadian. Protests that can't be 100% ignored are against our love of rule-of-law, they're also economic terrorism.

Protesters can just block the whole Barnett Highway and see how long that lasts.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

I hope the opposite, can't wait to see a crown of lululemon nimbys get watercannoned and the ensuing shock that the police would do that when it's below 10 degrees, don't they know it's winter, jeez.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Butcher posted:

The arrogance and condescension in this is infuriating. Love the little threat at the end too... "If you dare to punish the Liberals for this, the Conservatives are coming back to wreck your poo poo even worse!"

You know, when the fight comes to Burnaby Mountain, I think I might actually be willing to get arrested for the first time. gently caress it.
You just don't get it. It's perfectly appropriate for boomer elites to tell young people in the Lower Mainland or impoverished First Nations in Northern Ontario to simply "move" to deal with economic downturns. The same cannot possibly be considered as advice for former tar sands employees, for whom the entire BC coast must be obliterated.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

The same issue currently applies to voting by mail, which is currently an available option
I'm not a fan of that either. :)

I'd like to see more early (in-person) voting, setting up polling places in hospital/care homes, etc. to reduce the need for vote-by-mail.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oh and BTW, the RCMP want a bunch of new investigative powers that even the Conservatives thought were too extreme. Trudeau's Liberals will be also bringing forward new anti-terrorism legislation nobody asked for in the new year. I'm sure those powers won't be abused in any way :angel:

I hope everyone enjoys having their civil liberties thrown out for their "economic well-being" :v:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Thats what Free Speech zones are for!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If you do plan to sabotage the pipeline please don't tell the whole internet, keep it quiet and leave your smartphone at home

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

The Liberals really, really, really want Alternative Vote/Instant Runoff Voting because it heavily favours centrist parties like the Liberals, but it is not a proportional system and would probably get a very high Gallagher score, possibly even higher than First Past the Post.

The commission recommended that when designing a new electoral system, the Liberals aim for a system with a low Gallagher score, thus recommending the use of a proportional system over AV/IRV.

The Liberals, because they are despicable human beings, looked for a way to discredit the results of this commission because it didn't give them the result they wanted, and they settled on "they want us to use math to measure how good the new system will be, gently caress these elitist pricks".

All of this goes back to the fact that different measures of voting goodness are mathematically incompatible (see e.g. Arrow's famous impossibility theorem). That theorem really only applies at the single riding level, so the local -> global problem adds another layer of nuance. There is actually nothing intrinsically 'correct' about the Gallagher score -- it strongly reflects a value judgement that the overall distribution of seats mirroring the overall distribution of votes is the most important feature that a voting system should have.

It's actually a little bit tricky to fit AV/IRV into the Gallagher framework, but if you only look at the highest-level vote it is virtually guaranteed to have a higher Gallagher score than FPTP (plurality vote winner-take-all gets a lower score than someone who doesn't even have a plurality getting 100% of the seats). This isn't a bad or even more disproportional thing -- ranked ballots contain a lot more information and require more thought to analyze. And if we go back to 2011 there probably would have been 100% approval within this thread for adopting AV/IRV.

I personally like the AV/IRV system because it generally avoids the outcome of least-preferable candidates being elected while retaining the connection of individual candidates to their ridings. And beyond that I think it is safe to say that the parties here are supporting the voting systems that they are in part because they anticipate what the consequences are of adopting such a system.

But the way the Liberals have gone about this whole thing is incredibly cowardly and intellectual dishonest.

vyelkin posted:

gently caress the Liberals.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

THC posted:

Oh and BTW, the RCMP want a bunch of new investigative powers that even the Conservatives thought were too extreme. Trudeau's Liberals will be also bringing forward new anti-terrorism legislation nobody asked for in the new year. I'm sure those powers won't be abused in any way :angel:

I hope everyone enjoys having their civil liberties thrown out for their "economic well-being" :v:

well how are the rcmp going to catch terrorists without these new powers

you don't want them to go and send up another pair of retarded crackheads do u

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

The Butcher posted:

There is also the alternative which is diversifying the economy away from 70% housing and fossil fuels.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canada-stagnant-national-wealth-reliant-oil-1.3877754

But lol this is Canada we're talking about here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/5g3z5y/whats_your_secret_to_living_here/

i loving love this thread. tldr, some poo poo heel makes 35k/year working in the ~movies~ and is wondering how people can live in vancouver. everyone is telling him to get out loooooool

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-spca-dogs-seized-squamish-1.3877154

quote:

According to the SPCA, the dogs were badly matted and were suffering from several conditions, including:

Ear infections.
Skin infections.
Severe dental disease.
Overgrown nails.
The SPCA said the investigation is ongoing but may include cruelty charges.

Moriarty was not able to confirm the identity of the breeder, other than that she is female and has a history with animal control in Squamish going back at least five years.

The dogs are in care at the West Vancouver shelter. They're not available for adoption while the legal process is ongoing.

dumb gently caress canadians, stop creating a market for pets jfc

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

blah_blah posted:

There is actually nothing intrinsically 'correct' about the Gallagher score -- it strongly reflects a value judgement that the overall distribution of seats mirroring the overall distribution of votes is the most important feature that a voting system should have.

There isn't, but a clear majority of Canadians, in every consultation done throughout the process, has expressed a desire for a system that produces a proportional result. That's the reason why the committee report included the Gallagher Index and recommended 'do something that scores well on this'.

quote:

I personally like the AV/IRV system because it generally avoids the outcome of least-preferable candidates being elected while retaining the connection of individual candidates to their ridings. And beyond that I think it is safe to say that the parties here are supporting the voting systems that they are in part because they anticipate what the consequences are of adopting such a system.

There are half a dozen different ways to achieve this without having to resort to AV/IRV, and forever enshrining two party rule.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

namaste faggots posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/5g3z5y/whats_your_secret_to_living_here/

i loving love this thread. tldr, some poo poo heel makes 35k/year working in the ~movies~ and is wondering how people can live in vancouver. everyone is telling him to get out loooooool

quote:

It will take me 15 - 20 years to save enough for a down payment on a house costing $300,000....

But at least he has his Canadian Priorities straight -- gotta have that overpriced house!

(where the gently caress is he going to find a house costing $300,000 in Vancouver?)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jan posted:

But at least he has his Canadian Priorities straight -- gotta have that overpriced house!

(where the gently caress is he going to find a house costing $300,000 in Vancouver?)
In 15-20 years once he has found $300k houses will need a $1m down payment.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

There are half a dozen different ways to achieve this without having to resort to AV/IRV, and forever enshrining two party rule.

No. The problem is that achieving maximal fairness at the level of individual ridings (what AV does well) is incompatible with achieving proportional representation at the federal level. That's the crux of the tradeoff -- that to achieve the latter you will have to elect people who a majority of their constituents don't want (or create super-ridings where elected officials are only nominally connected to their local constituents).

I'm also not convinced that this will forever enshrine two party rule, either (look at e.g. the provincial NDP in Alberta). Parties, and their policies, will adapt, and I don't think that naked centrism is a guaranteed winning strategy or anything like that.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Province by province, large riding, MMP is simple and easy. You get PR and all you have to do is just redraw the districts to be much larger. You can't gerrymander when the GVRD is one riding.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

blah_blah posted:

No. The problem is that achieving maximal fairness at the level of individual ridings (what AV does well) is incompatible with achieving proportional representation at the federal level. That's the crux of the tradeoff -- that to achieve the latter you will have to elect people who a majority of their constituents don't want (or create super-ridings where elected officials are only nominally connected to their local constituents).

I'm also not convinced that this will forever enshrine two party rule, either (look at e.g. the provincial NDP in Alberta). Parties, and their policies, will adapt, and I don't think that naked centrism is a guaranteed winning strategy or anything like that.

Those things aren't really incompatible though. In an MMP system, there's really no reason you couldn't run the regional MP election according to an AV/IRV ranked ballot. Combine that with a proportional balancing at the end which adds extra MPs to achieve proportionality, and chose them according to best performing non-elected candidates. Some MPs will technically be unaffiliated with a particular riding, but every riding has a specific representative, and all MPs still have to run local campaigns, as they need to perform well in whatever riding they originally ran in.

If you want to see what AV/IRV actually does, you seriously need to go read up on Australia. The upper house includes a number of smaller parties, elected thanks to STV. None of them has ever broken through in the lower house, because AV/IRV crushes all upstart parties.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

As of today, Vancouver SkyTrain is now the longest metro system in Canada. Suck it Montreailures :chord:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
how about we just allow the queen to directly rule the country? seems easier at this point imo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

As of today, Vancouver SkyTrain is now the longest metro system in Canada. Suck it Montreailures :chord:

Longest automated metro system in the world too :smug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

how about we just allow the queen to directly rule the country? seems easier at this point imo

This, but only if we elect the queen and it's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

Canada: do a thing and then rent seek for forty years after things start to get tough but you lobby the government to give you a defacto monopoly so you can rent seek for another forty years on antiquated tech and services.