Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

One of my brothers was molested while in state care - albeit not in the decades involved in the panel - and after an 18 month battle to do the paperwork "properly" and get compensation to fund counselling for him we got a letter of apology and an offer of $80 to settle. gently caress Tolley - we didn't care about an apology, we wanted the state to come to the table to try and fix the problems they directly caused through their negligence. It's all fine to say he shouldn't have to relive that abuse, but that's not an excuse for doing nothing because he's living with it every single day.

That is really hosed up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yep.

Firstscion posted:

Yeah nah she'll be right mate.

Bullseye!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Unbelievable interview

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
After blubbing, and whining like a spoiled child over Andrew Little calling him "National-lite", and then writing a bunch of articles trashing Labour while claiming to be left wing, Nick Leggett is welcomed into the National party with open arms.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

They can have him, I guess

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

ok

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Late-to-the-party-CYFs-story:

Two kids were being abused by their father. Mother won custody and the kids went to live with her.
Mother dies. Kids find her :(

Friend of the mother takes in the kids while legal stuff is in limbo. She eventually wins custody.
Everything is good. Kids are happy. Doing well in school. The friend is doing a great good raising them.

Then for some reason CYFs demands the kids are returned to the father claiming they should be raised by family only. The friend fights in the courts and loses.

Kids are then returned to the care of their abusive father. CYFs then takes legal action against the friend and wins a court order that the friend nor her associates are to have any association with the children at all. Removed from their school, removed from their friends, and most probably being abused again.

gently caress CYFs.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Child, Youth and Family is kind of a behemoth, and so unfortunately any changes made as part of this review process will I think take a while to take effect :(

As far as I can tell, a lot of the issues stem from the agency working against itself

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Schwa posted:

As far as I can tell, a lot of the issues stem from the agency working to kpis stripped of all context.

Govt dept.exe

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The Schwa posted:

Child, Youth and Family is kind of a behemoth, and so unfortunately any changes made as part of this review process will I think take a while to take effect :(

As far as I can tell, a lot of the issues stem from the agency working against itself

There are a lot of people trying to do good in cyfs, but yeah, the workings of government is a mighty beast to deal with

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

There are a lot of people trying to do good in cyfs, but yeah, the workings of government is a mighty beast to deal with

Every person I have met who worked for cyfs wanted to quit, because what they were doing was so far from what they envisaged. Like even in the situations where they were doing the "right" thing by the kids they were the bad guys in everyone's eyes

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

There's still for example cultural clashes between CYF and MSD, which are minor but get in the way of them doing their jobs, or at least affect productivity

I think people also sometimes don't realise the massive scope of what they do, and they get a bad rap because they're keeping so many plates spinning. It's not an easy industry to work in and it's obviously a hot button issue. In child welfare, if you miss your target - for whatever reason - it's not like the consequence is that you don't get your monthly performance bonus. Plus as a government body you're always going to feel underfunded, because you can see the difference you could make with just a little more.

It's hard graft and I have a lot of respect for most of the people who work there, but it does get bogged down just like any big ministry. Does it need a cultural change? Probably. Am I the right person to say how that should work? Probably not.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's what you get for electing a successful businessman to run a country for a hat trick.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Here comes number four

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I'm still so angry about Pike River

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

John doesn't care.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

There's no way to make him care that doesn't involve stuff that would probably have the SIS asking Lowtax annoying questions at 4am.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

WarpedNaba posted:

That's what you get for electing a successful businessman to run a country for a hat trick.

Are currency speculators considered businessmen? They shouldn't be.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I was going to say banker but you'd generally think that a bank that's been building leverage for 10 years would've fallen into poo poo by now.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

He does care about over-zealous 1080 protesters though

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
My ex gfs mother works for cyfs. About 10 years ago, they got a new car for use by the case workers - you know, the people that would have to drive around and park outside peoples houses and visit them.

They got a fiat multipla.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
lol :rip: Parmjeet Parmar

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
She is a list MP anyway.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not really a surprise but it's great because Michael Wood is such a lovely guy :3:

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Cya John

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Here comes number four

Haha

Robo Captain fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 5, 2016

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Now who will I have a beer and pull pony tails with?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Calling it now: Labour will still lose the election.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Judith Collins' time to shine

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Now who will I have a beer and pull pony tails with?

I hear Veitchy is single again.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Just saw the news: is this a surprise? Was there talk he was going to resign, or was he just like "okay see ya"?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I dunno, there was always comment that he looks tired as gently caress of being leader. But no one I know would've actually called that he was on the edge of resignation.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
wondering if he's quitting while he's ahead, or if we are about to hear that he did some bad poo poo

Ghostlight posted:

also this lol

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Teddybear posted:

Just saw the news: is this a surprise? Was there talk he was going to resign, or was he just like "okay see ya"?

It's a New Zealand Christmas gift to us all.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ghostlight posted:

:agreed:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

If labour can't win now then the might as well just disband

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Teddybear posted:

He's been dropping bits about resigning since his second term. I think he only ran the third time because the caucus convinced him they needed him to win.

Now he can retire and devote more time to his beaucarnea recurvata plantation.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Lol

Next PM is gonna be Bennett, Adams or Woodhouse imo

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
He really took that Mt Roskill loss hard.

Factions inside National to start cannibalizing each other in 3, 2, 1 . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

So it begins.

Bye John. Just... bye. Thanks I guess. And bye.

• Locked thread