Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Phi230 posted:

but what evidence do you have that he actually did literally anything to said rocket chariot

just because I tighten a bolt on an F1 car doesn't mean I have the ability to tune an F1 car.
Luke doesn't know anything about robotics, he just likes sticking screwdrivers in droids.

Obi-Wan doesn't live in the desert. He doesn't live on Tattooine at all! He just happened to be visiting that valley the day Luke got attacked.

This is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phi230 posted:

Do you really think Disney will ever release a movie with any close association to a trilogy with an overwhelmingly negative public perception? Do you think Disney wants to emulate hot garbage?

No, but I do think they will release movies with a close association to good, well reviewed and profitable movies like the Star Wars Prequels. If you're holding out for a Howard The Duck sequel though, I'm guessing you're poo poo outta luck.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Phi230 posted:

So having certain expectations about certain products is asking to be placated? That's pretty hosed dude

When I first saw In Bruges, I was expecting a Snatch-like comic-romp with a lot of violence and bad jokes, rather than a sombre, meditative film on life and death. While the film certainly has its funny and absurd moments, it is tonally completely different from a lite action-crime comedy.

Who is at fault here, me, or Martin McDonagh?

I enjoyed it much more the second time, when I understood what it was trying to do, and judged it on its own merits. It's really a fantastic film, if you haven't seen it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

completely missing the point AND throwing in a needless autism joke. :kiss:

exhibit A with strawman selective hearing bullshit

wheres the autism joke

and what point did I miss? Star Wars is not supposed to be explained in technobabble like Star Trek.

And explaining the technological and scientific details of minutia =!= telling a story relevant to the plot of an existing movie

dont be dumb

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

When I first saw In Bruges, I was expecting a Snatch-like comic-romp with a lot of violence and bad jokes, rather than a sombre, meditative film on life and death. While the film certainly has its funny and absurd moments, it is tonally completely different from a lite action-crime comedy.

I enjoyed it much more the second time, when I understood what it was trying to do, and judged it on its own merits. It's really a fantastic film, if you haven't seen it.

Yes, but even when you know what you're getting from the prequels, they are full of horrible acting, bizarre plot delivery, awful pacing and uncompelling characters.

You can't seperate a person from their visceral reaction to these things, even if the prequels have some interesting ideas and fun moments (And I think they do!), they squander them with the general delivery.

From what I've seen this isn't just expectation management from the OT either. Anecdotally, I've met a few people whose first star wars was Ep1, and in every case they bailed on the series at this point.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

Please cite an example of "Star-Trek esque sperg explanations on minutia" in the prequels, whatever that means.

Edit: Also "an event critical to ANH" lol. Do you think George Lucas decided to open the movie in media res because he couldn't make RO at the time, or was it an artistic decision? Again, one of the most common complaints about the prequels is the oft-quoted Oswaltism about "I don't give a poo poo where the stuff I love comes from, I just love the stuff I love", and yet here you are wanting to have the entire myth spelled out for you because your imagination is garbage.

Basebf555 posted:

You threw him a softball, now all he's gotta do is play the midiclorians card! Check and mate.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with approaching the Star Wars films as modern-day Flash Gordon adventures- that's obviously what Lucas was doing to start with.

But I think it's odd to say that in contrast to the prequels, which have so many clear ties to that same material, and indeed somewhat similar flaws. (Dialogue and acting were never the strong points of, say, your average Harryhausen flick. Take a look at the romantic dialogue Kerwin Matthews and Cathy Crosby have to struggle with in Seventh Voyage of Sinbad.)

The major risk of the new Star Wars films is they're all being made by massive SW fans and thus run the chance of being more homages to Star Wars itself than to the source material- a copy of a copy as it were. TFA gets close to this at times (the "eh, we gotta have X Wings and TIE fighters" mentality, and yeah that one decision still bugs me) but does have scenes and elements which call back to pure-strain space opera (Han smuggling space monsters, everything Poe Dameron, etc.)

Granted I'm expecting Rogue One to focus more on war movie tropes than serial ones. Which is also fair since the original Star Wars takes so much from The Dam Busters and so on.

I completely agree with this. It's also the reason a lot of people don't seem to like Temple of Doom even though Willie is an exact replica of serial damsels in distress and its awesome.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think that's because near-constant shrieking is not entertaining, no matter what venerable tradition of constant shrill goddamn racket you're paying tribute to.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy Temple of Doom

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is excused because In Bruges is of equal or superior quality to Snatch

In Star Wars prequels terms, I expected Star Wars, but got a demonstrably different product of inferior value

maybe i can sue lucas for breach of contract under the ucc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ah, a sovcit. That explains so much.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

exhibit A with strawman selective hearing bullshit

lmao you called me a misogynist for being disappointed by the lack of non-white women in Star Wars movies. Granted, you apologized but you sure were quick to defend a SW prequel...

quote:

wheres the autism joke

and what point did I miss? Star Wars is not supposed to be explained in technobabble like Star Trek.

And explaining the technological and scientific details of minutia =!= telling a story relevant to the plot of an existing movie

dont be dumb

"sperg" comes from "Asperger's syndrome"; it's just a lovely way to use autism as an insult. No one is saying that SW should have technobabble like ST. You were the one who claimed that the PT had such a trait and you have yet to cite some examples.

edit: oh, you used a poster's joke about midiclorians as evidence. wow, i'm blown away.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 2, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
"Midi-chlorians are a microscopic life form that resides within all living cells. We are symbionts with them, life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians life cannot exist, and we would have no knowledge of the force. They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the force."

Sorry if these four sentences ruined Star Wars for you. The degree to which the word "midi-chlorians" has become a shibboleth against the prequels is perplexing, to say the least. It's just critical shorthand for people who didn't want to engage with the movies beyond "wahhh where's my Death Star".

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

"Midi-chlorians are a microscopic life form that resides within all living cells. We are symbionts with them, life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians life cannot exist, and we would have no knowledge of the force. They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the force."

Sorry if these four sentences ruined Star Wars for you. The degree to which the word "midi-chlorians" has become a shibboleth against the prequels is perplexing, to say the least.

hell yeah it ruins star wars

it just destroyed the main theme of the force: mystery/mysticism in an attempt to scientifically explain it

any attempt to scientifically explain ANYTHING in star wars is misguided because Star Wars is not science fiction

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phi230 posted:

In Star Wars prequels terms, I expected Star Wars, but got a demonstrably different product of inferior value

maybe i can sue lucas for breach of contract under the ucc

In Star Wars prequels terms, I expected Star Wars, and what I got was Star Wars.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The main "theme" of the force is not "mystery". You typed words, but they don't make any sense at all in the order you typed them. The way you string words together is bizarre. Force = mystery! Microscopic = science! Lucas = bad! Prequels = sperg!

Phi230 posted:

any attempt to scientifically explain ANYTHING in star wars is misguided because Star Wars is not science fiction

How dare Lucas make it so that Boba Fett sounds like he's walking with cowboy spurs, that ruins everything about Star Wars! Any attempt to explain ANYTHING in star wars as being like an old Western is misguided because Star Wars is not a western.

And while we're at it, how dare he gives the Death Star an exhaust port! This isn't science fiction! Space stations don't need to be ruined by having the ins and outs explained! So much techno-babble gently caress you Lucas.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 2, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Jewmanji posted:

The main "theme" of the force is not "mystery". You typed words, but they don't make any sense at all in the order you typed them. The way you string words together is bizarre. Force = mystery! Microscopic = science! Lucas = bad! Prequels = sperg!

The quote you posted was less "long exposition from a hard sci-fi work" and more "fantasy bullshit". Y'know, Stars Wars! Seriously, I don't think AOTC and ROTS even mentioned midiclorians.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Equeen posted:

The quote you posted was less "long exposition from a hard sci-fi work" and more "fantasy bullshit". Y'know, Stars Wars! Seriously, I don't think AOTC and ROTS even mentioned midiclorians.

Palpatine mentions the manipulation of midichlorians in ROTS for the purpose of creating life. Y'know, like science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg

Christ why didn't he just get out a white board to diagram this hard-science bullshit. What is this, Primer?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 2, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars is as much science fiction as Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Or 2001: A Space Odyssey. Or Joanna Russ's The Two of Them. Or Connie Willis's To Say Nothing Of The Dog.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ShineDog posted:

Yes, but even when you know what you're getting from the prequels, they are full of horrible acting, bizarre plot delivery, awful pacing and uncompelling characters.

I'm not about to go around in circles arguing about whether the acting was horrible, but I'm actually curious: what about the "plot delivery" do you think was bizarre?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Zoran posted:

I'm not about to go around in circles arguing about whether the acting was horrible, but I'm actually curious: what about the "plot delivery" do you think was bizarre?
It's a common vice among blockbuster audiences to assume that if something doesn't fit your expectations, it's in the film because the director was lazy and did it by accident. (Or more charitably, blame it on studio meddling.) I can't speak for ShineDog, but I found the prequels full of this kind of thing.

Why is it called a Republic when it appears to be an intergovernmental organization like the United Nations? Why does a corporate conglomerate appoint representatives to it? How do they not even know whether or not the blockade and the invasion are real? It doesn't make sense.

Why are the Jedi the "keepers of the peace" for a huge galactic civilization they don't have the manpower to police? Why are they so passive about issues like slavery on the fringes of civilization? Most glaringly, why does Yoda end up accepting command of a clone army that shows up out of nowhere, funded by unknown sources, commissioned by a dead man? It doesn't make sense.

Being a teenager at the time, I figured Lucas must be some kind of idiot savant. Now, realizing that these elements don't just make their way into movies by accident, I find it intriguing. Why are the Jedi so intellectually lazy? Why does a megacorporation get to appoint legislators?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Red posted:

I have never disagreed more with any post on these Awful forums.

The prequels were complete garbage except for McDiarmid's 110% dive into awesomeness. He was clearly having the time of his life there, and it came across as genuine.

As much as one could in such a role.

Eh, I think the performances in the PT are almost universally bad so McDiarmid looked amazing by comparison.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The other side of this coin is the kind of revisionist history that people invoke when they say that anything good that happened in the OT was inadvertent or the result of Lucas' collaborators, and that the simplest explanation for people's distaste of the prequels is that he was always a hack being propped up by talented editors/directors/etc, and when he finally achieved UNLIMITED POWER he was unable to fool us anymore. I never subscribed to that nonsense, but I have to admit I was pretty shocked by some of Cnut the Great's posts that showed just how thoroughly Lucas was in control of everything, right down to crude sketches for the design of the X-Wing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

How dare Lucas make it so that Boba Fett sounds like he's walking with cowboy spurs, that ruins everything about Star Wars! Any attempt to explain ANYTHING in star wars as being like an old Western is misguided because Star Wars is not a western.

And while we're at it, how dare he gives the Death Star an exhaust port! This isn't science fiction! Space stations don't need to be ruined by having the ins and outs explained! So much techno-babble gently caress you Lucas.

You are the one person who misses the point of star wars more than any prequel person in this thread

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

You are the one person who misses the point of star wars more than any prequel person in this thread

And you smell like a chemical plant fire which has spread to a landfill. Maybe you could offer explanations, if it wouldn't overtax your brain any.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Sometimes your detachment from reality blows my mind.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

And you smell like a chemical plant fire which has spread to a landfill. Maybe you could offer explanations, if it wouldn't overtax your brain any.

I owe no explanation to idiots who are incapable of seeing simple things like Star Wars as a fantasy work, or fail to see themes such as mysticism in star wars

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He was a one-eyed, one-horned, giant purple prequel people...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Sometimes your detachment from reality blows my mind.

The prequels are not star wars and those that like them are incapable of being star wars fans

they also have absolutely poo poo taste in movies

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

I owe no explanation to idiots who are incapable of seeing simple things like Star Wars as a fantasy work, or fail to see themes such as mysticism in star wars

So why are you posting, since you're only here to publicly masturbate? Do that in the privacy of your own home, grossness.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

So why are you posting, since you're only here to publicly masturbate? Do that in the privacy of your own home, grossness.

did I ever claim you or others to be idiots? No my express implication is that one guy Jewmanji is a dumbass because I specifically stated things that apply to him IE failure to spot themes, failure to see genre

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

did I ever claim you or others to be idiots? No my express implication is that one guy Jewmanji is a dumbass because I specifically stated things that apply to him IE failure to spot themes, failure to see genre

Motherfucker, you just said you won't discuss anything unless people already agree with you. You also post nothing but gibes. You're just jacking it to how clever you are. Cease your self-abuse where people can see you.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Phi230 posted:

Everything and everything about the prequels is trash for babies and if you disagree you are literally mentally handicapped

and have bad taste

Here, in regards to my "failure to see genre", I think you should read this article, it is good and fun and interesting and maybe will distract you from ruining this thread for five minutes with your tantrums:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cover_story/2015/12/star_wars_is_a_pastiche_how_george_lucas_combined_flash_gordon_westerns.html

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

The prequels are not star wars and those that like them are incapable of being star wars fans

they also have absolutely poo poo taste in movies

Ahhhhh. Pack it in prequel fags! You have been officially corn-cobbed!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

The prequels are not star wars

my copies are Star Wars. Says so right on the disc.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Motherfucker, you just said you won't discuss anything unless people already agree with you. You also post nothing but gibes. You're just jacking it to how clever you are. Cease your self-abuse where people can see you.

Im not clever this poo poo is like what everybody already knows. Basic poo poo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Ahhhhh. Pack it in prequel fags! You have been officially corn-cobbed!

What do you even know about corn cobs

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Im not clever this poo poo is like what everybody already knows. Basic poo poo

No, I don't think that everybody knows that sci-fi is whatever definition you made up. In fact, your absence-of-a-stated-definition suggests that a lot of indisputably sci-fi novels and movies are actually fantasy novels and movies.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

What do you even know about corn cobs

That you are slowing shrinking and becoming one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I don't think that everybody knows that sci-fi is whatever definition you made up. In fact, your absence-of-a-stated-definition suggests that a lot of indisputably sci-fi novels and movies are actually fantasy novels and movies.

star wars is absolutely fantasy and this is a widely held and acknowledged idea

• Locked thread