Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pilot was the airline owner, only had one plane, on the verge of bankruptcy.

Not having enough fuel to divert to any other airport and ignoring the 35 minute reserve is just insanity.

The airline has also been suspended (obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Who would've guessed an unknown airline in a developing country leasing two planes from a failed airline in a country where they can't consistently stock loving toilet paper in supermarkets, might cut corners. Hoo boy am I ever surprised, I'll tell you what.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Shortly before the flight the First Officer was replaced with a well-connected model who, while she carried a private pilot license, was not type-rated and had never co-piloted before.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh sweet holy gently caress. It's just a parade of terrible choices, isn't it?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
If you tried to sell this as a made for TV movie, the script would get rejected for being too unrealistic.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Jesus, it keeps getting worse and worse. :psyduck:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I assume Donald Trump has already tried to nominate the airline owner for Secretary of Transportation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

azflyboy posted:

I assume Donald Trump has already tried to nominate the airline owner for Secretary of Transportation.

I was going to say something about how it was still 2016 so I don't know why people are surprised by any of this.

We are in the worst alternate timeline.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

We are in the worst alternate timeline.

All other timelines ended in nuclear fire.

We are in the best timeline by default.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Platystemon posted:

We are in the best timeline by default.

Hooray we survived!!! :unsmith:

Hooray we survived... :smith:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ardeem posted:

If you tried to sell this as a made for TV movie, the script would get rejected for being too unrealistic.

Yeah I was looking forward to an Air Disasters, but I'm not sure anyone would believe it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah I was looking forward to an Air Disasters, but I'm not sure anyone would believe it.

https://youtu.be/3mLCv7v07uo

I would've gotten the gently caress off *this* plane.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://youtu.be/3mLCv7v07uo

I would've gotten the gently caress off *this* plane.

He partially recreated this on Louie and it's awesome.

https://youtu.be/eZZM6_Hery8

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Platystemon posted:

But in that timeline I am Lord Humungous.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I'm that autogyro pilot, except instead of a autogyro it is a Zeppelin

I don't live past the first reel, Virgina Hey's character pretends to seduce me, then she kills me and takes my stuff. It didn't come up in the road warrior but she had a real grudge against airships

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Yeah but all the rest of us are emaciated beggars so it's kind of a wash really.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Why am I not surprised that it's the sun reporting this?

Jesus Christ that pilot was a loving idiot.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
This just popped up on reddit

note: total flight time (half way down) vs maximum endurance (at bottom).

Also, SLVR-SKRG is 1839mi, and the range of a (stock) RJ-85 is 1808mi

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Postal posted:

:wtc:

I checked the max range on an E170 before taking a RIC-DEN segment on one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's looking pretty conclusive that the PIC was extremely negligent, resulting in this crash. Jesus, how do you even fill that flight plan out without at least getting a bit nervous about your own wellbeing?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Captain Postal posted:

Well yeah, they were supposed to refuel! Only they didn't, because the "airport was closed for the night." :confused:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

It's looking pretty conclusive that the PIC was extremely negligent, resulting in this crash. Jesus, how do you even fill that flight plan out without at least getting a bit nervous about your own wellbeing?

The key for basically every single one of these accidents with extreme recklessness/negligence is it's rarely the first time its happened. Example: there was a crew back about a decade ago who flew right the gently caress into a mountain because they went so quickly through preflight checks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_B%C3%A1rbara_Airlines_Flight_518

edit:

According to the Guardian, the guy pulled this poo poo four times previous to this.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 3, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey, does anyone have any tasty, scathing critiques of the F-35 on hand? I need some for my sister.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The GBS F-35 thread is in GiP now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694048

My favorite is still "the F-35 hit a target in testing today but it's OK, the pilot ejected."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

one of the canuck networks had a news segment all The Avro Arrow- F-35 Competition? and the answer was Yes Definitely and the graphic animations they made for the segment literally had the arrow flying circles around the F-35 and it owned tremendously

cock hero flux posted:

it's great that a plane that was half-finished 50 years ago by feared military powerhouse Canada could still probably have beaten a plane that cost the US nearly 1.5 trillion dollars to make

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

If by beaten, they mean beaten in a race to be shot down by a SAM first then yes...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

If by beaten, they mean beaten in a race to be shot down by a SAM first then yes...

oooo looks like someone's got a hard-on for The Navy's Army's Air Force's special toy

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

oooo looks like someone's got a hard-on for The Navy's Army's Air Force's special toy

you take it back

Relevant to thread question: Anyone think the military has learned their lesson about pushing the limits of technology for weapon systems AND subsystems AND structure on one program yet? Whats the over under on the B-21 having some hilarious requirements like the B2, F-22, F-35, that make it need a bunch of state of the art stuff that the contractor will have little idea how to test or make?

To NGC's credit UCLASS/MQ-25 looks to be working well as a demonstrator.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The B-21 is hopefully just a b-2b like it appears to be.

The B-2 is hilariously expensively mainly because they only built 20 so each was basically a prototype.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 3, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Relevant to thread question: Anyone think the military has learned their lesson

no

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

The B-21 is hopefully just a b-2b like it appears to be.

The B-2 is hilariously expensively mainly because they only built 20 so each was basically a prototype.

Appears how? Sure we've seen renderings with 0 detail and sure it's the signature Northrop Grumman NG signature delta wing...so is UCLASS. I'd challenge someone to point to one thing that makes the airframe more similar to the B-2 than to the flying gas tank that UCLASS became.

Also the B-2 has really bad availability even after 20 years, a hilariously long PDM, big $/flight hour, needs special purpose hangars (last I read anyway) and plenty of limitations on top of being stealth from an era before modeling existed for stealth. Would we even want a B-2B?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CarForumPoster posted:

Appears how? Sure we've seen renderings with 0 detail and sure it's the signature Northrop Grumman NG signature delta wing...so is UCLASS. I'd challenge someone to point to one thing that makes the airframe more similar to the B-2 than to the flying gas tank that UCLASS became.

Also the B-2 has really bad availability even after 20 years, a hilariously long PDM, big $/flight hour, needs special purpose hangars (last I read anyway) and plenty of limitations on top of being stealth from an era before modeling existed for stealth. Would we even want a B-2B?

I thought the b 21 was supposed to be an updated/cheaper to build and operate B-2?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Cheaper to build and operate B-2?

Since when has that ever been the case for a new military anything?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nuevo posted:

Since when has that ever been the case for a new military anything?

Virginia class SSN?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Only 21 B-2s were built. 1 crashed, so there are 20 in service. Across those 20 aircraft there are five different block numbers. How can maintenance and operations possibly be economical with a fleet like that? The USN carrier fleet is probably more homogeneous. (incidentally the USN has as many carriers as the USAF has B-2s)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hobbesmaster posted:

Only 21 B-2s were built. 1 crashed, so there are 20 in service. Across those 20 aircraft there are five different block numbers. How can maintenance and operations possibly be economical with a fleet like that? The USN carrier fleet is probably more homogeneous. (incidentally the USN has as many carriers as the USAF has B-2s)

I guess it's appropriate that the B-2s have individual names, then.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Flikken posted:

I thought the b 21 was supposed to be an updated/cheaper to build and operate B-2?

A lot of people have shared that opinion here but as far as I can tell nothing supports it.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Well LRS-B was intentionally not the 2037 Bomber, so in terms of project goals I'd think it's more to bridge capabilities rather than to develop a kick-rear end black magic bomber. I'm sure NG's proposal must have been cheaper than Boeing/Lockheed's because it had old designs and technical upgrades to build off of

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

The Nazis would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think one element that might be possible is that the AF is acutely aware of how hosed the F-35/KC-46A have put them budget-wise, so it seems like the B-21 was pushed forward to be as evolutionary (instead of revolutionary) as possible.

I mean time will tell, but there really isn't a ton of indication this thing is completely hosed up quite yet. I mean we can all assume it will because come on, but it's certainly capable of being more like the Virginia than the A-12 if they just keep poo poo under control and away from congressional meddling/the marines.