Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That article dismissing Button as unlikely since he wants a break from F1 seems a bit presumptuous since I don't know how many drivers could pass up a super legit shot at a WDC. Maybe Button just needs a break from driving a dogshit rear end car to a DNF half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

In fact Ive never been so happy about a WDC since Button

Edit: Kimi's made me laugh though

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Theophany posted:

On the subject of Eddie Jordan, this guy can't even admit he's bald as gently caress and we all know it.

Uh, he's very open about the fact that he lost his hair from alopecia after a driving accident.

E; that sounds like a joke but it isn't.

blunt fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 2, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Nico retired?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

daslog posted:

Nico retired?

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyup.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

DoctorGonzo posted:

Senna was good. Rosberg lost his title in 5 days and Hamilton is salty as gently caress. I hope Mercedes signs Max.

Rosberg is actually Champion Emeritus now for the rest of his life.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm Crap posted:

Rosberg is actually Champion Emeritus now for the rest of his life.

This is going to drive Lewis mad. I hope he seeks help in Kanye.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think lewis loves it. He's going to go down as one of the greatest of all time, Rosberg (N) will join his father as a pub quiz trivia question.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

I don't get why people have an issue with it

blunt posted:

Uh, he's very open about the fact that he lost his hair from alopecia after a driving accident.

E; that sounds like a joke but it isn't.

Right, so what's all this poo poo with wearing wigs of different lengths to simulate the look of hair growth?

I mean, the dude is a character that frankly is totally missing from the roster of corporate dildo recipient principals we have right now but :wtc:

At least Lauda wears his driving incident disfigurement like a man shill for IWC.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have the oddest feeling it is going to be not-max you know. Horner has been banging on about Pierre Gasly coming in to the next available seat again today. Which would be good because we need someone new to hate on, and whiirline in interviews has always come across as quite likeable and funny.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: all f1 drivers are cunts :colbert:

Just varying degrees of how bad they are

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
When does Sainz's Torro Rosso contract expire?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Deepfried posted:

Lewis may be talented but gently caress he's a classless oval office.

Knowing in your own mind that you're the better driver is fine. Belittling someone else's achievement, someone who's worked hard for 20+ years for his moment just because you happened to have a bad year / some bad luck is a loving cunty thing to do.

Just wish the guy well and go out and prove you're the best instead of constantly reminding everyone you are.

oval office.

Good post, good post. sure.

Alternative opinion though, you and the rest of the "gosh well he did his damndest yadda yadda classy yadda yadda" can go and paddle in the mediocre pool with Rosberg. WINNERS don't give out their respect easily. Hamilton, Alonso, Senna, Schumacher. In fact Schumacher is the only one who used to say "yeah wow he's a great driver very impressive" to his poo poo teammate (Rubens) and he couldn't keep the smirk off his face so why are you're acting like this is noteworthy is beyond me.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I have the oddest feeling it is going to be not-max you know. Horner has been banging on about Pierre Gasly coming in to the next available seat again today. Which would be good because we need someone new to hate on, and whiirline in interviews has always come across as quite likeable and funny.

Plus, Giovinazzi is better than Pure Gastly.

Interesting to hear Are Ted (Founder of Exeter MotoSoc) thinking my thoughts about Rosberg refusing to comment on his number for 2017. That was the first sign that he wasn't going to be around so doesn't give a poo poo about being number 1 or number 6.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think lewis loves it. He's going to go down as one of the greatest of all time, Rosberg (N) will join his father as a pub quiz trivia question.

I got a trivia question for ya - Which "all time great" lost the easiest WDC ever to a pubtrivia grade driver?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

NtotheTC posted:

Alternative opinion though, you and the rest of the "gosh well he did his damndest yadda yadda classy yadda yadda" can go and paddle in the mediocre pool with Rosberg. WINNERS don't give out their respect easily. Hamilton, Alonso, Senna, Schumacher. In fact Schumacher is the only one who used to say "yeah wow he's a great driver very impressive" to his poo poo teammate (Rubens) and he couldn't keep the smirk off his face so why are you're acting like this is noteworthy is beyond me.

Barrichello got the last laugh though

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Remember when you were 10 years old, and your best friend / older brother beat you 18 times in a row at tekken?
Remember winning once, then throwing down the controller and lauding the victory, and not playing the brother / friend again?

Nico Rosberg everybody!

Deepfried posted:

Belittling someone else's achievement

I mean, if an actual factual statement made without any embellishment, adjectives or editorial-speak is "belittling" then who really is at fault?
The best burns are always where you speak truth people want to ignore in their own story.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NtotheTC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih3hRAOfuwI

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NtotheTC posted:

Rosberg won though

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Michael couldn't set a car up for poo poo and relied on drivers like Rubens and Irvine along with the engineers to come up with setups that were race-winners (as is widely documented) and then on team orders and his contract to make sure he won (as we watched for so many years).

gently caress, it was Massa that made him realise he couldn't compete anymore.

ETA: him blaming Bruno Senna for their accident in Spain was a loving joke. Old man can't hack it anymore in the days when driving your opponent into the loving pit wall is no bueno.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

Michael couldn't set a car up for poo poo and relied on drivers like Rubens and Irvine along with the engineers to come up with setups that were race-winners (as is widely documented) and then on team orders and his contract to make sure he won (as we watched for so many years).

Does this mean Michael Schumacher used to rely on Jos Verstappen and JJ Letho to set up his cars at Benetton

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Khablam posted:

Remember when you were 10 years old, and your best friend / older brother beat you 18 times in a row at tekken?
Remember winning once, then throwing down the controller and lauding the victory, and not playing the brother / friend again?

Nico Rosberg everybody!

I mean, if an actual factual statement made without any embellishment, adjectives or editorial-speak is "belittling" then who really is at fault?
The best burns are always where you speak truth people want to ignore in their own story.

He won Formula BMW and GP2 championships on his way to F1. Hardly the first time he won anything in 18 years.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Does this mean Michael Schumacher used to rely on Jos Verstappen and JJ Letho to set up his cars at Benetton

No, he drove into Damon Hill and relied on Briatore not getting his rear end DSQ'd :shrug:

I'm not saying he wasn't talentless. He was one of the all time greats and to say otherwise would be ridiculous. But the man had his very obvious faults.

ETA: oh yeah, and the illegal poo poo Benneton were running.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The "Benetton was illegal" talk is from jealous British journalists.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Khablam posted:

Nico Rosberg everybody!

The best post. Just a terrific post. The classiest, most luxurious post. I can tell you that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rosberg gets to go out on top and spend more time with his hot wife

Win-win

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AgentJotun posted:

I got a trivia question for ya - Which "all time great" lost the easiest WDC ever to a pubtrivia grade driver?

Michael Schumacher, 1997?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Barrichello got the last laugh though

P. sure Rubens Barrichello wishes he was in a coma rather than having to live life as Rubens Barrichello.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I had a chuckle at this one.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rosberg gets to go out on top and spend more time with his hot wife

Win-win

His wife looks like a cartoon caricature of a German.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nico's wife is like bottom 10 in term of F1 wags

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The FW16 was superior to the B194 by a long shot.

Deepfried
Sep 20, 2001

NtotheTC posted:

why are you're acting like this is noteworthy is beyond me.

I'm not claiming it's note worthy or that other drivers crap rainbows, just adding my lovely opinion.

That opinion is Lewis is a oval office.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

ETA: oh yeah, and the illegal poo poo Benneton were running.

I need some proof here comrade.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

The "Benetton was illegal" talk is from jealous British journalists.

And Brazilians and Italians and Germans and etc etc etc. It's reductive and I shouldn't have brought it up. But the fact remains that during the Ferrari days, it is well documented Schumi was a driver. The same things were said about Mika Hakkinen - a duff development driver but if you had a halfway decent car he'd work miracles with it.

To my mind, Schumi's success was doing what no team has done since, which is building a dream team around him with Brawn, Todt, Clear et al. Ferrari of today need to pay attention and quit with this loving everybody is Italian bullshit that has seen them be junk since 2008.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

I need some proof here comrade.

Senna said so. What more do you need?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Senna said so. What more do you need?

Senna sounds like a poor loser much like Poois is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

But the fact remains that during the Ferrari days, it is well documented Schumi was a driver.

Agreed

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
the fallout at the end of 2017 when Lewis quits after getting whomped by someone younger than he was when he won his first championship is going to be outstanding. I hope afterwards nico posts a picture of himself poolside sipping a Martini and winking at the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Upon further review I have concluded that the Benetton must have relied on Verstappen, Lehto, and Johnny Herbert to set up the car. That's probably why it was so difficult to drive.

• Locked thread