Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Shutup they might hear you

They have that already, its called the Texas Edition. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

it is lovely that leather is seen as objectively better than cloth for some bizarre reason when it really is a personal preference.

Like upgraded audio/nav and other trim packages are all things that are objectively an improvement, and then they get bundled with something that is entirely subjective.

its even more annoying when its tied to a sport or performance package when you want something thats gonna grip you better when cornering.

Yeah I kind of wanted the GT trim on my Mazda 3 but I didn't want leather.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

it is lovely that leather is seen as objectively better than cloth for some bizarre reason when it really is a personal preference.

Like upgraded audio/nav and other trim packages are all things that are objectively an improvement, and then they get bundled with something that is entirely subjective.

its even more annoying when its tied to a sport or performance package when you want something thats gonna grip you better when cornering.

I'm old so I grew up in a lot of 60's/70's American cars that had slide all over the place vinyl/cloth seats, so nice leather seats have been a big deal here especially the last 20 years or so (even though modern leather is barely leather and mostly fake anyway). I know people with dogs/kids especially want leather in order to blow out fur/lucky charms/barf and to be able to wipe them down - since they aren't really "leather" anyway.

On something like a F-150/Silverado there is nothing sadder than seeing the used versions with their saggy/stained/farty cloth drivers seats. :911: :smith:

I agree about cloth seats being great though and if I ordered a new M3 I'd think about the secure, gripping cloth seats......but would ultimately go for leather just because of re-sale and any possible "smells like leather" gains.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I had a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk as a rental this week. For some reason I enjoyed it despite the massive roof pillars, the horrendous paint job, and the rocks in a blender powertrain backed by a transmission that was always in the wrong gear. The removable roof was pretty clever and amazingly didn't leak, squeak, or rattle. If I were buying one, it would be the most basic stripped down version with a manual transmission and the removable roof. And I'm sure I could pick a used one up for next to nothing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Next gen Camry is going to take the Prius design language to a new level.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Throatwarbler posted:

Dat quarter looks real good.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Kind of hard to picture the whole car from that but I'm guessing it'll be absolutely hideous. Ugh, that ridge on the pillar.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Toyota has really gone from bland and boring to visually offensive. They're copying the worst aspects of Lexus design without any of the good, and then slapping it on boringmobiles.

They're still going to sell a jillion of them, so we all have to look at them. :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

It wouldn't look bad but there's a big vent thing that goes through the light and the car and space and time. It's like Toyota took a good-looking car and decided adding vents to all the places would make it sell more.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CornHolio posted:

It wouldn't look bad but there's a big vent thing that goes through the light and the car and space and time. It's like Toyota took a good-looking car and decided adding vents to all the places would make it sell more.

like people that slap the fake vents all over the side of their vehicle

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So basically they're taking the existing design language and attacking it with a weedwacker.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the designer dropped the clay model on his way to the final design meeting, and the bosses just said "gently caress it, yeah, whatever, just build it, camry drivers will buy literal dog poo poo if it has a camry badge on it"

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I could probably easily find the info myself, but how are the new Priuseseses moving? I thankfully don't see a ton of them and I hope they're ugly enough to have killed a bit of sales momentum. I doubt it, but there's hope!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fknlo posted:

I could probably easily find the info myself, but how are the new Priuseseses moving? I thankfully don't see a ton of them and I hope they're ugly enough to have killed a bit of sales momentum. I doubt it, but there's hope!

Apparently Toyota sold 781 Prius Primes in November. Most places seem to think that's a pretty good result.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The gas Prius is down 26%, like everything else that isn't a truck or crossover.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

devtesla posted:

The gas Prius is down 26%, like everything else that isn't a truck or crossover.

Yeah, according to Toyota's full release, Priuses as a full model line are selling like day old, under cooked, gluten-free pancakes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

devtesla posted:

The gas Prius is also more expensive than the Prius Prime because of federal tax incentives, so I have no idea why anybody is buying a gas Prius at all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im the 1533% increase in sales

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, according to Toyota's full release, Priuses as a full model line are selling like day old, under cooked, gluten-free pancakes.

Ahh stop you're making my mouth water.

Anyway, Jalopnik was already thinking what I was thinking. http://jalopnik.com/toyota-teases-the-2018-camry-dent-1789574370

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
September midsize premium sedan sales in Continental Europe with % change:

Mercedes-Benz C-Class 4.300 -16%
BMW 3-Series 3.033 +11%
Audi A4 2.091 +55%
Alfa Romeo Giulia 1.718 New
Jaguar XE 845 -26%
Volvo S60 503 -19%
Lexus IS 340 +28%
Infiniti Q50 209 +32%

http://left-lane.com/european-sales-2016-q1-q3-premium-midsized-segment/

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Now that GM is getting away from body cladding and factory *vents*, Honda and Toyota are proudly picking up the mantle of 'overstyled poo poo'. There's a guy with a new civic hatchback in my neighborhood, and I really want to like it, but JFC Honda, maybe let the guys who did the 7th gen civic, 6th gen Accord, and the S2000 take over again. Also, how often does Toyota re-style the Camry? I thought it was every 5-7 years and it seems like they've had a new version every other year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Did a little spread sheet to compare how the new Fiat Spider is impacting Miata sales. I won't post the whole thing, but here's the summary:

Sales in North America (US + Can) from June through November 2016,
2463 Spiders
4692 Miatas
Total between them: 7155
Fiats are roughly 34% of Miata sales thus far.

From June through November of 2015, there were 6073 Miatas sold. So the new Fiat has partially cannibalized Miata sales, but the combination of them is +18% YoY, so the partnership seems to be working thus far.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Did a little spread sheet to compare how the new Fiat Spider is impacting Miata sales. I won't post the whole thing, but here's the summary:

Sales in North America (US + Can) from June through November 2016,
2463 Spiders
4692 Miatas
Total between them: 7155
Fiats are roughly 34% of Miata sales thus far.

From June through November of 2015, there were 6073 Miatas sold. So the new Fiat has partially cannibalized Miata sales, but the combination of them is +18% YoY, so the partnership seems to be working thus far.

I wonder what the actual licensing agreement is between them? Lump sum for the chassis design, or percentage of every unit sold?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

I wonder what the actual licensing agreement is between them? Lump sum for the chassis design, or percentage of every unit sold?

The engines are supplied by Fiat, but everything else is made on-site by Mazda, even if to Fiat specs. They're all coming off the same assembly line in Hiroshima, and Mazda makes multiple models of its own cars on the line. So it's all just putting parts together for them.

I would guess they get a cash reimbursement from Fiat for each one made. That would be the easiest way of handling it. So more cars sold = more money for Mazda, regardless of the badge on them.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Finger Prince posted:

I would imagine that Fiat contributed some money to the overall development and then pays a certain amount per car produced.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So its less Fix It Again Tony and more Fix It Again Takashi?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I thought the big difference was the turbocharged Fiat-Chrysler engine so you can probably still blame Tony for most things that are gonna go real wrong with the Fiata

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

I thought the big difference was the turbocharged Fiat-Chrysler engine so you can probably still blame Tony for most things that are gonna go real wrong with the Fiata

1000 miles so far on mine and not so much as a CEL. Knock on wood.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

1000 miles so far on mine and not so much as a CEL. Knock on wood.

1000 miles?? :eyepop: :monocle:

Reminds me of an eBay ad I saw once for an old Lotus Europa that contained the line "this is a very reliable Europa. I would feel completely confident taking it on a 100-mile drive."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Even though you can get aftermarket leather seats (Katzkin, or even dealer installed oem) in your F-150/Silverado/Tahoe/Yukon most people want them stock and will go way up the trim levels to get them.
The MSRP on the F150 I'd configure is either $47,120 or $58,675 depending on if I went "basic" or "fancy". Even with that being before about 10k in rebates and negotiating, that ain't cheap.

I'd like to see the XLT and Lariat merged with the difference being leather, because I could take it or leave it, but the only way to get 4Auto and keyless entry is with a lariat and to get LED headlights, the 360* camera system, lane keeping, and/or adaptive cruise is with the fuckoff expensive top level Lariat package (or above).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 4, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why are you talking about wanting to buy a pickup truck in the hipster car forum?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Liking things hipsters hate is the most hipster thing of all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

Why are you talking about wanting to buy a pickup truck in the hipster car forum?
Because I don't give a poo poo what they like. And a truck is more useful for carrying poo poo around than my Mustang. I know I'm replacing it this year, haven't decided if I want to go truck or tesla 3 (and yeah, I know those are totally different categories).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Because I don't give a poo poo what they like. And a truck is more useful for carrying poo poo around than my Mustang. I know I'm replacing it this year, haven't decided if I want to go truck or tesla 3 (and yeah, I know those are totally different categories).
Trucks exist, for one thing.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Well you're not getting a 3 in the next year unless you've already put a deposit down, probably on the reveal day. (If Elon manages to not delay it a quarter or two)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

borkencode posted:

Well you're not getting a 3 in the next year unless you've already put a deposit down, probably on the reveal day. (If Elon manages to not delay it a quarter or two)

I would be really surprised to see a model 3 reach the public in 2017.

their stock price took a hit because a hedge fund made a big presentation suggesting they will be bankrupt before the 3 hits the road. The only reason they showed a profit in the last quarter was because they saved up credits to sell, and that they're still losing $5k a car on an ~$80,000 average sale, and that losses on the model 3 could be $15k a car. It's estimated that GM is losing around $9k per bolt but makes it up on not having to buy ZEV credits.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

I would be really surprised to see a model 3 reach the public in 2017.

their stock price took a hit because a hedge fund made a big presentation suggesting they will be bankrupt before the 3 hits the road. The only reason they showed a profit in the last quarter was because they saved up credits to sell, and that they're still losing $5k a car on an ~$80,000 average sale, and that losses on the model 3 could be $15k a car. It's estimated that GM is losing around $9k per bolt but makes it up on not having to buy ZEV credits.

There is such a big difference between losing money on each car and "losing" money. Tesla are the latter. The cars themselves have a very healthy profit margin by any stretch. The money Tesla are spending is about the Gigafactory and ramping up production factory and in accounting cant be applied to the car per unit profit / loss for a proper financial analysis.

Anyone claiming Tesla loses 5K per car is selling an agenda or has no idea how a set of accounts needs to be read.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

borkencode posted:

I'm in California and had a deposit down before 11AM. If they start production in 2017, I'll be in the first batch.

And yeah, they have plenty of margin per car. They're putting the money into giga and expanding production and r&d rather than sitting on it.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 5, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Random storying

Mazda’s Kogai: New product, pricing drive move upmarket

quote:

What brand image is Mazda pursuing? Something near-luxury?

A sporty and unique brand. We want to distinguish ourselves by being a little elevated above the other Japanese or mainstream brands.

If the car itself is not attractive, we can't command a higher price. So, for the Mazda3, the Mazda6 and the CX-3, they will all have major updates. And the CX-5 is undergoing a full model change. In that way, we keep improving the models all the time.

Instead of just creating a buzz to come see a new design, we enhance the vehicle's potential in performance and technology. That is something new we are implementing.

Mazda is introducing the Skyactiv-D diesel drivetrain to the U.S. with the next-generation CX-5 next year. How much potential do you see for diesel in the U.S.?

In Japan, diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline, and it offers better fuel economy. That was the advantage here. About 70 percent of the overall CX-5 sales in Japan are diesel.

In America, gasoline is going to be the main engine people purchase.

In the U.S., diesel is not necessarily the cheaper option. It's about 8 percent more expensive than gasoline. But compared with high-octane gasoline, diesel is cheaper. We still have to pinpoint where people can find the advantage in buying diesel.

But gradually, we would like to increase the share of diesel sales.

Mazda often talks about reviving the rotary engine as a range extender for a hybrid vehicle. Does that mean Mazda has abandoned plans to use it as the main traction powerplant?

We ended production of the RX-8 with the rotary engine. But if we were to restart production of the rotary engine again, we need to make sure it wouldn't be just short-lived. We need it to meet future emissions regulations. We are still conducting our r&d activity to overcome any issues we have with emissions and fuel efficiency.

Which would come first, a range-extender rotary or a main traction rotary, like in the RX-8?

Considering regulations such as the zero-emissions vehicle mandate, electrification is a technology we need to introduce in the near future. The range extender would be the first.

Could Mazda ever create an RX-8 sports car successor with a range extender?

I think that as a sports car option, the MX-5 1.5-liter or 2.0-liter conventional engine, with its power and acceleration, might be a more exhilarating experience.

No plans for a larger sports car entry?

No.

Sorry rotary lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Exhilarating 1.5 l.