Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No exposed wires here. This is my panel (applies to my reply to Ferrmitt too). It's 100% recessed, even my outside power outlets are recessed into the siding.

Your picture seems worryingly similar to this one:

http://www.startribune.com/fpe-stab-lok-electric-panels-don-t-need-to-be-inspected-they-need-to-be-replaced/131912743/

On the plus side, your electricity usage should drop rapidly when your apartment burns down.
http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE-Hazards-Revised-070525.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

There's a space for a main, but no main installed. There's a main 100 amp dual pole (so 240V) breaker outside under my meter, but that's a good 3-4 minute walk away. I have the air con and clothes dryer breakers off - I won't need the air conditioner again until probably February, and don't own a clothes dryer, so I don't see the harm in keeping them off. There's not one, but two hard start kits, on my outside ac unit, and they're just dangling by the wires for anybody to be tickled by, so I'd rather they just get a quick OHFUCKINGHELLTHATSTINGS if they touch the caps instead of an OHFU*DED*

Breakers are fire prevention and equipment protection, not meatbag protection. (Unless you have GFCI breakers.) 15 amps won't even come close to tripping before you are literally dead and smoldering. It only takes milliamps to stop a heart and slightly more to lock up your muscles, etc.

Since regular breakers only protect equipment, and don't require human intervention to do so, the locations are fine.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That's not the "issue" I've heard about. The biggest complaint I've heard is that they're "too loose" or that the contacts are too small. Never had a problem with delayed tripping at the last place I lived at that had 3 separate stab-lok panels in different buildings. Then again, I never found them to be loose, and the contact size is more than adequate for the loadings.

It's my understanding that they got bought out, shitcanned, and then the rumours of various problems with them started cropping up.

I've had a [D] breaker literally explode in a panel before. Admittedly, the breaker was probably several trips past its useful life, but since then I've never liked [D].

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

I couldn't make it through the first 30s. I always sit there with them in a parking lot, say, put it in first, ok, don't touch the gas, let the clutch out slowly until you feel it bite. Then it stalls a few times, then they get it moving, and I'm like, ok, great, stop and do it again.
I do this too, the second stage is to get them up all the way to top gear just with clutch control, pootling across the car park at idle.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:cripes:

I just wanna know how the gently caress he keeps getting so many viruses/malware. I always put virus scanners on everything I touch. I counted 7 toolbars in Chrome, I just worked on this thing 3 months ago. He clears his browser history constantly, so :iiamn:...

If he's anything like my dad, he signs up and clicks on anything that asks him to.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Some maths suggests leaving my desktop PC on 24/7 is probably adding about $15/mo to my electric bill. :sigh: Problem is... Gigabyte only ever released one UEFI for this board... 4 years ago, and it hates coming out of sleep and hibernation badly. I tried to downgrade it to the last available BIOS (which was released in 2015), and it wouldn't let me. :argh:

Just turn it off? Not being a jackass here - I had to do the same, since our Hydro in Ontario is loving atrocious. With a decent SSD (or any SSD) booting up is almost as fast as coming out of sleep.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Rhyno posted:

I need a screaming deal on an enormous external hard drive, anybody seen anything?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAPGEIE/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fermented Tinal posted:

What's wrong with stab-loks? I fuckin' wish I could replace my fusebox with a stab-lok panel, instead I'm stuck with going [D] and their 1970s-era breakers.

Stab-lok's got a real reputation for breakers that consider tripping to be more of a.... suggestion. Also panel fires.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Doug DeMuro is a terrible

You had some extra words for some reason.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

If anyone gets asked to go to AWS re:invent, don't do it. Holy poo poo that was the worst conference I have ever had to work. I think we gave out almost 4000 t-shirts and my voice is pretty much nonexistent at this point from talking to people all loving day. And 4 days in Vegas is way too long. I am now going to do my best to not stand(can't have chairs in the booth, that would look unprofessional!) or talk to anyone for the next week.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Doug DeMuro is a terrible manual transmission teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CTxg0KDwg

Oh poo poo, you actually.. aaaah Watch? Doug DeMuro videos? Dang.. I'll pour one out for you tonight.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

That's not the "issue" I've heard about. The biggest complaint I've heard is that they're "too loose" or that the contacts are too small. Never had a problem with delayed tripping at the last place I lived at that had 3 separate stab-lok panels in different buildings. Then again, I never found them to be loose, and the contact size is more than adequate for the loadings.

It's my understanding that they got bought out, shitcanned, and then the rumours of various problems with them started cropping up.

I've had a [D] breaker literally explode in a panel before. Admittedly, the breaker was probably several trips past its useful life, but since then I've never liked [D].

I'm an electrical wholesaler specializing in breakers. Stablok sucks. They are also obscenely expensive to replace. A "modern" square D QO loadcenter is the absolute gold standard for home protection. A breaker exploding is likely due to a deadshort and insufficient AIC rating on the breaker.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

slurry_curry posted:

can't have chairs in the booth, that would look unprofessional!

That poo poo is infuriating.
That attitude leads to employees sitting on equipment whenever no one is around, which is just sooo much more professional :jerkbag:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Got a free bottle of Jim beam from a contractor, what's the best way to drink it? I'm guessing "from a glass"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Got a free bottle of Jim beam from a contractor, what's the best way to drink it? I'm guessing "from a glass"
Close: "from the bottle"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like you.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:britain::respek::clint:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keykey posted:

Oh poo poo, you actually.. aaaah Watch? Doug DeMuro videos? Dang.. I'll pour one out for you tonight.

Doug is convinced he's far funnier than he actually is.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Absolutely. This happens when people live in their own bubble.

On a side note, new episode of The Grand Tour is tits! 3 episodes in and I still can't believe it's a thing, it's truly a gift from the TV gods.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

IOwnCalculus posted:

He reminds me of a youth pastor, especially with his bizarre mannerisms and stilted speech

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I followed him for a while before becoming self aware. His writing was meh, his videos were bad. How he has a YouTube audience the size e does is beyond me. I'm guessing most of them haven't breathed through their noses for some time.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can actually hear him laughing at himself when he talks.

:colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Serious answer: On the rocks, and until you can't feel your face.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

But I think the one I'm looking at (Sense) requires being connected to the main incoming feed to my panel. I have no way to cut power completely

It does not need to be "connected." All of these systems use inductive coils. You simply snap one around each phase.

Ferremit posted:

Thats going to be an interesting arc flash event eventually.... Who the gently caress works on the hot side of a breaker board without shutting down the main feed into it first? :stare:

Every electrician, ever. And I don't understand why you think it would cause an arc flash. You wire up the breaker, make sure it's OFF and then mount it to the bus bar. It's not hard, and it's not dangerous unless you're the kind of person that shouldn't be working in an electrical panel.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The incoming feed (and all wires for that matter) are in the wall.

...and also inside of that very panel. You need to take the cover off, just like when you're installing a breaker.

I'd suggest you don't do this. Hire an electrician.

Fermented Tinal posted:

What's wrong with stab-loks? I fuckin' wish I could replace my fusebox with a stab-lok panel, instead I'm stuck with going [D] and their 1970s-era breakers.

Note that the information I've seen posted manly related to the old stab-loks that are no longer sold. The brand name was basically retired in the US due to bad press, but it's definitely still a thing in Canada and is not at all the mess of the old panels.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Serious answer: On the rocks, and until you can't feel your face.

If its the white bottle, mixed with coke is also an acceptable option. Anything better is best straight though. From the bottle or on the rocks is up to you. Pretty much, it ain't scotch, its :banjo: whiskey. Treat it as such.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey Seattle goons, if you're on 99 around N 90th (the eCig, Vape & Legal Marijuana 21+ Highway), I saw a car lot on the west (southbound) side that had a Nissan GTR (R32?), something like a Toyota crown, and some of those Japanese vans. I wish I had noted what the actual address was. I'm kind of curious about it.

It was on a lot like this one (or maybe it was this one?)
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.695158,-122.3446305,3a,75y,283.62h,72.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svjtDzw_GKa-RtOXbCJAIoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If I had noticed sooner I would have taken a pic. But I was driving :P

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Motronic posted:

Note that the information I've seen posted manly related to the old stab-loks that are no longer sold. The brand name was basically retired in the US due to bad press, but it's definitely still a thing in Canada and is not at all the mess of the old panels.

Here in Canada (Ontario anyways) you can only get new panels for essentially either [D] or Siemens breakers. You can still get new stab-lok breakers but not panels, those were discontinued. I seriously doubt that here in Nannyland that the breakers would be allowed to be sold if they failed to do their job properly.

The only real complaints I've heard here are that the breakers are loose and that the contact area is too small. Honestly, I've never found them any looser than any other breaker, and the people talking about the contacts don't know gently caress all about electricity. The few electricians I've spoken to about it are kinda split on whether or not stab-loks are any good.

Fake Edit: I went to school for comp eng and a large part of that was electrical theory, so I'm like the worst when it comes to safely working on household electrical poo poo. I never pull fuses/pop breakers when working on stuff. I think I've used the mains shutoff for my house exactly 0 times, even when changing out blocks on the fusebox, though I'll pull fuses when disconnecting/connecting hots at the box.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Anybody have unlimited carfax at the moment? Looking at a hail damaged car that apparently still has clear title and full warranty for a grocery getter for the wife.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Fake Edit: I went to school for comp eng and a large part of that was electrical theory, so I'm like the worst when it comes to safely working on household electrical poo poo. I never pull fuses/pop breakers when working on stuff. I think I've used the mains shutoff for my house exactly 0 times, even when changing out blocks on the fusebox, though I'll pull fuses when disconnecting/connecting hots at the box.

Yeah, I put breakers in my live panels all the time, even though the panel is 5 feet from my ATS (with no generator attached) and 2 feet from my whole-house service disconnect. gently caress shutting all the computers down and resetting all the clocks, I'm not retarded and can push a breaker in without putting my finger on the busbar.

If it is work on a branch circuit, though, you can bet I'm flipping the breaker for it off. I don't need to put craters in the metal junction boxes and set my pants on fire shorting things with a screwdriver in that kind of close quarters, thanks. Nor electrocute myself. Panels have plenty of space to not gently caress up in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I always turn all my circuits off, ever since the time I only switched off the one I needed to work on, and discovered when I grabbed the end of it that I'd turned off the wrong one.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

kastein posted:

If it is work on a branch circuit, though, you can bet I'm flipping the breaker for it off. I don't need to put craters in the metal junction boxes and set my pants on fire shorting things with a screwdriver in that kind of close quarters, thanks. Nor electrocute myself. Panels have plenty of space to not gently caress up in.

I almost never turn off branch circuits, but it's not something I'd tell other people to do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The first house I owned you had to turn of the breakers for both ground and first floor sockets to turn anything off. As well as being ring mains they were connected somewhere. Durp.

Also it doesn't take a lot of booze before I can't feel my face, my wife went to bed early feeling ill so I'm going to ruin myself on bourbon. Think I've still got a couple of episodes of cowboy bebop left on Netflix.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I always turn all my circuits off, ever since the time I only switched off the one I needed to work on, and discovered when I grabbed the end of it that I'd turned off the wrong one.
This is what a multimeter or even plugging in a table lamp is for... :haw:

Fermented Tinal posted:

I almost never turn off branch circuits, but it's not something I'd tell other people to do.
You really should. It takes 30 seconds and has no real downsides.

The first house I owned you had to turn of the breakers for both ground and first floor sockets to turn anything off. As well as being ring mains they were connected somewhere. Durp.

Also it doesn't take a lot of booze before I can't feel my face, my wife went to bed early feeling ill so I'm going to ruin myself on bourbon. Think I've still got a couple of episodes of cowboy bebop left on Netflix.
I will never understand why the hell British houses are wired the way they are. I have:
- a 20A breaker for the lights in bedroom 1 and the outlets in bedroom 2
- a 20A breaker for the lights in bedroom 2 and half the outlets in bedroom 3 (not groverhaus, it has that many outlets because it's the home electronics/ham radio lab and office)
- a 20A breaker for the other half of the outlets in bedroom 3
- a 20A breaker for the lights in bedroom 3 and the outlets in bedroom 1
- a 20A 240V breaker for an aircon unit or high power RF amplifier in bedroom 3
- a 15A breaker for all the smoke detectors in the house
- a 30A 240V breaker for the clothes dryer
- a 30A 240V breaker for the various welder outlets (one in basement, one on back porch)
- a 50A 240V breaker for the electric range
- a whole bunch more 20A breakers for lights and outlets on the first floor

Why do you guys have either one breaker per floor or one breaker for the whole house, with "ring mains"? What is the point of ring mains at all? The way it makes sense as an EE is that the breakers/fuses are for property protection (wiring in the walls and not burning your house down) and each device has a built in fuse or breaker if it needs to shut off at a lower rating to protect itself, it doesn't make sense to me to put a whopping huge ring of super heavy wire all the way around the house with outlets and then put fuses in each plug.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ring mains are dumb.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean if your intention is to cheap out on £12 of cable per house by all means rely on both paths to feed the current, just hope nothing ever comes loose or breaks or gets disconnected because then it all goes down one leg which isn't rated for the full current.

I think my kitchen and bathroom have their own circuits in addition to the two lighting circuits & 2 socket circuits, boiler circuit, garage circuit which feeds a 40A sub panel.

I'm not going to check because I'm drunk, comfortable and I'd have to move a mountain of shoes to get to my panel under the stairs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I got one of those proximity-sensing multimeters that you wave near a wire and it tells you if it is live.

Bloody useful, given the number of sparkies who like to take power from odd source from the other side of the room and on a different circuit instead of the one they are supposed to.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Quote really isn't edit.

kastein posted:

Why do you guys have either one breaker per floor or one breaker for the whole house, with "ring mains"? What is the point of ring mains at all?
Because when we had electricity to the house, we had no copper as we'd used it all up on the Nazis.

When haven't updated it because we believe strongly in tradition, no matter how loving retarded it is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well that explains it a bit. I figured it would sort of go away in new construction within a decade or so of the end of the shortage, but I forgot about traditions.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
New Rx7 revealed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's no glenmorangie but white label jim bean isn't the worst thing I've drinken by a long shot.

• Locked thread