Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Accretionist posted:

Just heard someone on NPR saying we need to get rid of working-class whites. Other interviewees were like, "Really? Really?," but still. I hope this poo poo doesn't poison party reformation. Clinton pulled millions of poor whites. That's millions of Democratic voters right there, yet I keep hearing people saying we need to get rid of them or they're the enemy. Like god drat, people. That's millions of your existing base.

Also, like, they do realize the Obama coalition that was supposed to be unbreakable and guarantee a Democrat White House forever still relied on white working class voters? Not exclusively or anything but the absolute stupidest takeaway from 2008/2012 was "we literally can run on a platform of "kill all poor whites" and win".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Accretionist posted:

Just heard someone on NPR saying we need to get rid of working-class whites. Other interviewees were like, "Really? Really?," but still. I hope this poo poo doesn't poison party reformation. Clinton pulled millions of poor whites. That's millions of Democratic voters right there, yet I keep hearing people saying we need to get rid of them or they're the enemy. Like god drat, people. That's millions of your existing base.

They equate 'working class whites' to be 100% overlapping with 'superracists'

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Dec 2, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Zyla posted:

altneratively kill anyone with a podcast

some bitter losses but gains overall

Keith Ellison has a podcast, it's really good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If they are poor despite their privilege, they must be losers, if they are losers, they must be racist since those terms are interchangeable. QED.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Somewhere in NH Ray Buckley crosses a name off a list. Two to go.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zyla posted:

what do you have against scott aukerman you fucker?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Ace of Baes posted:

Keith Ellison has a podcast, it's really good.

link

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

http://wethepodcast.podomatic.com

Also on iTunes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

iTunes

Soundcloud

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know how many of you may watch Pokemon XYZ, but this season Ash Ketchum made it to the final round of the championships for the first time in the series 20 year history.

He had the strongest team hr had ever had, and was really showing himself to be a much more experienced and wizened trainer than ever before. He even brought a pseudo legendary, Goodra, and developed a unique ability to bond with his Greninja never before seen in the series or games, making it extraordinarily powerful.

He made it to the last Pokemon vs Alain, who had a mega Charizard, meaning it's most powerful attacks has type disadvantage against Ash-Greninja. Even though the mega Charizard had thunder punch, Ash-Greninja deflected or dodged it every time. It came down to one giant water shuriken vs one giant blast burn.

Mega Charizard won the day. It was Ash's most grueling defeat in the series, but he took it in stride.

What I'm saying here though, and my main point, is Bernie would have won.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

greatn posted:

I don't know how many of you may watch Pokemon XYZ, but this season Ash Ketchum made it to the final round of the championships for the first time in the series 20 year history.

He had the strongest team hr had ever had, and was really showing himself to be a much more experienced and wizened trainer than ever before. He even brought a pseudo legendary, Goodra, and developed a unique ability to bond with his Greninja never before seen in the series or games, making it extraordinarily powerful.

He made it to the last Pokemon vs Alain, who had a mega Charizard, meaning it's most powerful attacks has type disadvantage against Ash-Greninja. Even though the mega Charizard had thunder punch, Ash-Greninja deflected or dodged it every time. It came down to one giant water shuriken vs one giant blast burn.

Mega Charizard won the day. It was Ash's most grueling defeat in the series, but he took it in stride.

dang, same

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Thoguh posted:

to the type of person that classifies voters by demographic, they are obviously all exactly the same, so since some poor white people voted for trump for racist reasons this means every poor white person is a racist maniac

unfortunately this is a ton of loving people especially within the Democratic party (see: Tatum Girlparts' post history) and they need to knock it off. different people vote for different things

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

greatn posted:

One thing I've learned from Pokémon is that 20 years of failing at something makes ash a giant loser piece of poo poo.

gently caress losing in stride, ash should've shanked that piece of poo poo Alain.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Should have made Alain the star of the show. The mega-evolution specials he starred in were way better than the main series.

Sun&Moon is pretty legit though.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

greatn posted:

what the gently caress is this post

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

greatn posted:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctivitis posted:

You say something like:

"If you work for a company or large corporation making a product or doing a service, and then that company makes a profit, your boss, your boss's boss and all the way up to the CEO and top-level executives get pay raises and bonuses. Where are your pay raises and your bonuses? You did your job just as much as they did theirs, probably more so to create your company's profit! So again, what about your pay raise and your bonus?

Also, when stockholders and shareholders, who by the way, do not work at your company, do not make the product, do not do the service, they just put money into it to 'let it grow,' when your company makes profits on sales of goods and services, these stockholders and shareholders share in your company's profits. All these people did was put money into your company while you worked hard so they could make a little extra cash from the profits you helped create. What about your share in the profits that you helped create?

And if lower taxes on your CEOs and your company are supposed to allow them to pay you more, why aren't you getting paid more?

It seems that something is terribly wrong here when all of these people get to earn higher wages, bonuses, and profit-shares from your hard work and you don't see an extra nickel and these people are actively working against you earning higher wages so they can pad their own wallets and bank accounts.

Speaking of bank accounts, many of these ultra-rich executives and corporations you work for stash their money on offshore accounts so they can avoid paying taxes on that money, while you pay taxes on the full amount of your income, not to forget that for many of you, it's often very difficult to fathom having any reasonable amount of emergency money in a basic banking account right here in the US, much less millions and billions of untaxed money in foreign bank accounts."

No. The Financial Elites are screwing you. Time to make them pay.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The fact that I understood the reference and all it entails makes me incredibly sad.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

greatn posted:

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Zyla posted:

please don't kill the guys who do The F Plus tia

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Al-Saqr posted:

hey guys remember when shouting into a mic disqualified you from becoming president but having Nazi anti-Semites on your team is totally cool and good?

lol at someone from a Persian Gulf country complaining about another country's anti-Semitism

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

greatn posted:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Say goodbye, say goodbye to pain of the past, we don't have to feel it anymore, Bernie Sanders por favor.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

greatn posted:

This post makes me feel old because I don't know any of the Pokemon here except Charizard, unless "Mega" Charizard is different, then I know none.

God I got Pokemon Blue 20 years ago for my birthday.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thoguh posted:

I've had multiple conversations like:

Me: Not all working-class whites are racist.

Them: I know that!

Me: We need working-class white turnout.

Them: We shouldn't be nice to racists.

And all with Hillfolk who think progressives are voting against their own interests, just like conversatives, by not supporting Democratic centrists.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Mega-Charizard = Superdelegates :monocle:

the symbolism, its all there

I hope we dont get mega delegates

thatd be like real bad because mega = 2x super

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Israel is a bigtime rear end in a top hat state but it's just really funny to watch someone from a country where blood libel poo poo gets reported by news organizations as a real thing complaining about someone else being anti-Semitic.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I'm gonna turn this frying pan

Into a drying pan

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Well What Now posted:

lol at someone from a Persian Gulf country complaining about another country's anti-Semitism

Lol at a stupid person who thinks acting smarm makes his opinion correct. also LOL it's great that you're judging the standards of the US with absolute monarchies really good prospects and outlook for you. Also, those blood libel anti-Semitic propaganda countries are some of Israels best allies in the region so birds of a feather I guess.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Dec 3, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Subjunctivitis posted:

You say something like:

"If you work for a company or large corporation making a product or doing a service, and then that company makes a profit, your boss, your boss's boss and all the way up to the CEO and top-level executives get pay raises and bonuses. Where are your pay raises and your bonuses? You did your job just as much as they did theirs, probably more so to create your company's profit! So again, what about your pay raise and your bonus?

Also, when stockholders and shareholders, who by the way, do not work at your company, do not make the product, do not do the service, they just put money into it to 'let it grow,' when your company makes profits on sales of goods and services, these stockholders and shareholders share in your company's profits. All these people did was put money into your company while you worked hard so they could make a little extra cash from the profits you helped create. What about your share in the profits that you helped create?

And if lower taxes on your CEOs and your company are supposed to allow them to pay you more, why aren't you getting paid more?

It seems that something is terribly wrong here when all of these people get to earn higher wages, bonuses, and profit-shares from your hard work and you don't see an extra nickel and these people are actively working against you earning higher wages so they can pad their own wallets and bank accounts.

Speaking of bank accounts, many of these ultra-rich executives and corporations you work for stash their money on offshore accounts so they can avoid paying taxes on that money, while you pay taxes on the full amount of your income, not to forget that for many of you, it's often very difficult to fathom having any reasonable amount of emergency money in a basic banking account right here in the US, much less millions and billions of untaxed money in foreign bank accounts."
people have been saying this in the 80s, the 00s, and the only fault with it is that it doesn't fit in a 5 second soundbyte, as opposed to blaming minorities which does

so essentially what i am saying is that we need more chapo who drill small parts of these points in at a time

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Accretionist posted:

I've had multiple conversations like:

Them: I know that!

Me: We need working-class white turnout.

Them: We shouldn't be nice to racists.

And all with Hillfolk who think progressives are voting against their own interests, just like conversatives, by not supporting Democratic centrists.

These people tend to be super stuck on identity politics but the version that surgically removes class as an identity, so a white dude from a former mining town in WV that hasn't had a steady job in decades and is basically just slowly watching his town die off due to people leaving for jobs and meth addiction is just as privileged and in charge as the Koch brothers.

Class struggle is totally alien to them because the only point of identity politics is respecting and recognizing eachother's identities, not radical overhaul of the economic system to end exploitation and poverty.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

DrProsek posted:

These people tend to be super stuck on identity politics but the version that surgically removes class as an identity, so a white dude from a former mining town in WV that hasn't had a steady job in decades and is basically just slowly watching his town die off due to people leaving for jobs and meth addiction is just as privileged and in charge as the Koch brothers.

Class struggle is totally alien to them because the only point of identity politics is respecting and recognizing eachother's identities, not radical overhaul of the economic system to end exploitation and poverty.

I grew up in the neoliberal east coast bubble and I have found that talking to people from there about this without being condescending makes it v easy for them to change their minds

Maybe I'm just lucky tho

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
humans of new york is doing a feature on Macomb County, Michigan

which is on one hand UGH that coastal liberals see blue collar america as this foreign exotic thing, but on the other hand good that it's trying to evoke some sort of empathy for these people?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bump_fn posted:

I grew up in the neoliberal east coast bubble and I have found that talking to people from there about this without being condescending makes it v easy for them to change their minds

Maybe I'm just lucky tho
you're really lucky, unfortunately.

LinYutang posted:

humans of new york is doing a feature on Macomb County, Michigan

which is on one hand UGH that coastal liberals see blue collar america as this foreign exotic thing, but on the other hand good that it's trying to evoke some sort of empathy for these people?
blue collar america is a foreign exotic thing to them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you're really lucky, unfortunately.

blue collar america is a foreign exotic thing to them

one silver lining in all this is that my brother in law who is from rural Michigan and I have bonded in our disgust at that brand of coastal liberalism

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/804161936602648577

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bump_fn posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky tho

Some of them do get it. Others dig in hard and go "they're white cis het men, if they're still poor it's their problem, move to the city if you can't find a job".

Or they kinda get it but don't get that addressing class is more than a candidate who technically supports a $15 minimum wage but tries to hide it so their donors don't get upset and is personally ashamed of it.

Or they get it, but also get that the labor movement in the US in the past has dumped poor black folks if it meant poor white folks got something they wanted and so their solution is to first solve race/sex/etcism, then go back and fix class.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

greatn posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrProsek posted:

Or they get it, but also get that the labor movement in the US in the past has dumped poor black folks if it meant poor white folks got something they wanted and so their solution is to first solve race/sex/etcism, then go back and fix class.
do they not get that those can be addressed at the same time

• Locked thread