Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

kedo posted:

Hello thread! A bit of an odd question – can anyone recommend either a great western or mystery novel in which a cave plays an important or recurring role? My dad is a big fan of both genres and I'd like to get him a book as a gift. The cave is a bit of an inside joke.

Also, I've been reading a lot of Jack London lately because I feel trapped in a city and I find his descriptions of wild places soothing. I've read most of his popular works, can anyone suggest some other authors to look at? I'm open to books and authors of any age, though I tend to lean towards somewhat older fiction (60s or earlier ).

Child of God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Rush Limbo posted:

Child of God

I was gonna recommend Liminal States as a joke, but that's funnier.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kedo posted:

Hello thread! A bit of an odd question – can anyone recommend either a great western or mystery novel in which a cave plays an important or recurring role? My dad is a big fan of both genres and I'd like to get him a book as a gift. The cave is a bit of an inside joke.

Also, I've been reading a lot of Jack London lately because I feel trapped in a city and I find his descriptions of wild places soothing. I've read most of his popular works, can anyone suggest some other authors to look at? I'm open to books and authors of any age, though I tend to lean towards somewhat older fiction (60s or earlier ).

Comedy option but the first one that popped into my head, Edgar Rice Burroughs's 'A Princess of Mars'. Hey...it starts and ends in a cave in Arizona...

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

anilEhilated posted:

The Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud, maybe a bit YA but still a fantastic read. Magicians running the British government.

Thanks for this and the other recs. I've actually read this series and enjoyed it, somehow it slipped my mind though.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
books on consciousness?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

books on consciousness?

A Brief Tour of Human Consciousness: From Impostor Poodles to Purple Numbers by V.S. Ramachandran

I haven't personally read Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain by David Eagleman, but I have read his short stories, which are great, and had his non-fiction recommended as well.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I recommend you sign up for the 2016 Tangled Up in Books Secret Santa if you haven't already. We're into the last 24 hours or so and everyone who joins in will get free gifts of PDFs about sex magick, Tang poetry, Black Panther newsletters, and anything else the generous CestMoi feels like contributing.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

The Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud, maybe a bit YA but still a fantastic read. Magicians running the British government.

Couple days late, but I second the Bartimaeus books. Entertaining, even if they are a bit towards YA.

Also, I finished The Plot Against America. Definitely a worthwhile read. Some of the similarities to current events are interesting however...

Gonna be reading The Years of Rice and Salt next.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've never read any spy fiction, but I'm kind of curious all of a sudden. Can anyone suggest any modern (i.e. recently written, not necessarily modern setting) spy fiction?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ian Fleming's Bond stuff is still good. Bond is an absolute rear end in a top hat, it's wonderful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Define "modern" - for example, I love John Le Carré's Cold War stuff but his later books suffer from having more politics than storytelling. Frederic Forsyth could be another recommendation - it's basically airport fiction but well-written, very engaging. Some Graham Greene could go here - not modern by any means but he's probably the best writer who happened to deal with the topic. Hell, come to think of it, I wouldn't mind some modern spy fiction recs either.

James Bond is an acquired taste, I suppose. Very entertaining if you can get past all the sexism, it's very much a product of its age.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Modern was honestly thrown in there specifically because I did not want Bond or any of the similarly racist/sexist 60s poo poo. I'd rather not have to deal with lovely opinions to get to the enjoyment, unless it is a deliberate choice, because it's a period piece.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

John LeCarre's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is fantastic. It's a more realistic spy novel, though. No James Bond superspies to be found in it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Modern was honestly thrown in there specifically because I did not want Bond or any of the similarly racist/sexist 60s poo poo. I'd rather not have to deal with lovely opinions to get to the enjoyment, unless it is a deliberate choice, because it's a period piece.

Le Carre's cold war books is what you want then, especially Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and the two books after it. I was looking for the same things you are awhile back, and while i didn't really become a fan of spy stuff in general, those books are really freaking good.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Le Carre is a good choice. I also often recommend Alan Furst, who writes about spies in pre-World War II Europe. Like Le Carre, he's more on the talky/thinky end of spy fiction rather than punchy/shooty.

If you would rather have punchy/shooty ... it's not recent, but maybe Peter O'Donnell's Modesty Blaise books? All the rear end-kicking of James Bond, with (almost) none of the sexism.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Selachian posted:

If you would rather have punchy/shooty ... it's not recent, but maybe Peter O'Donnell's Modesty Blaise books? All the rear end-kicking of James Bond, with (almost) none of the sexism.

Modesty Blaise is a real good series, definitely try them. If you want to get a taste of them, it started as a newspaper comic serial (also written by O'Donnell) which have been being posted over in the Comic Strip Megathread in BSS; read some here.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
I just finished Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust series and both of the Harmony Black books, and I'm looking for some recommendations for other urban fantasy stories along the same lines, other than the Dresden Files series and the Rook. I can deal with some romance, just as long as its not the main focus of the story.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Food Guy posted:

I just finished Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust series and both of the Harmony Black books, and I'm looking for some recommendations for other urban fantasy stories along the same lines, other than the Dresden Files series and the Rook. I can deal with some romance, just as long as its not the main focus of the story.

Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books (magic cop in modern London) are good stuff, and a new one just came out. The first one was published under the title Rivers of London in the UK and then changed to Midnight Riot in the US.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Selachian posted:

Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books (magic cop in modern London) are good stuff, and a new one just came out.

Depending on what side of the pond you're on. The Hanging Tree releases in the US at the end of January.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ulmont posted:

Depending on what side of the pond you're on. The Hanging Tree releases in the US at the end of January.

Can't you just order it from Amazon UK? How can that be an issue in 2016?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Faking UK addresses for Kindle is pretty hard.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ras Het posted:

I had already preordered from Amazon US, so didn't feel like canceling, flipping address to UK, ordering, flipping back to US, and I'm a digital purist for space reasons.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ras Het posted:

A physical copy, yes (although it'd be cheaper to go through BookDepository.com). The Kindle version, no.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Gee, turns out you're all paying into a scam.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Do you guys just not know that you don't have to pay for ebooks

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I met Ben Aaronovitch at a book signing, he was nice. You should pay actual money for his books. Or alternatively it's out on audible now and the narration has always been very good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I met Ben Aaronovitch at a book signing, he was nice. You should pay actual money for his books. Or alternatively it's out on audible now and the narration has always been very good.

oh for sure maAaronovitch currently lives in Wimbledon and is working on a series of urban fantasy police procedurals

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Nothing wrong with living in Wimbledon

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I want to get back into reading after spending a year or so reading non-fiction technical stuff. At the moment I'm in a real political drama kick, with Madam Secretary and Designated Survivor being my favourite current shows.

So I was hoping for recommendations of Fantasy or Sci-Fi books with plenty of political drama. Similar to A Song of Ice and Fire. I like these genres more than modern day as they lay out how the world works through world building rather than expecting you to intuitively know certain things (or explain it poorly). I also like the sense of escapism.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Lord Windy posted:

So I was hoping for recommendations of Fantasy or Sci-Fi books with plenty of political drama. Similar to A Song of Ice and Fire. I like these genres more than modern day as they lay out how the world works through world building rather than expecting you to intuitively know certain things (or explain it poorly). I also like the sense of escapism.

Ann Leckie's Ancillary series. I haven't read it, but from reading this thread you might also want to peep goon-authored The Traitor Baru Cormorant (it's definitely on my to-read list).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm reading the Hanging Tree right now, and he's done a bit of a doctor who and semi-retconned all that stuff which was getting away from him, so we are back to what made the series so good in the first place.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Lord Windy posted:

I want to get back into reading after spending a year or so reading non-fiction technical stuff. At the moment I'm in a real political drama kick, with Madam Secretary and Designated Survivor being my favourite current shows.

Katherine Addison's The Goblin Emperor was enjoyable and had a fair amount of court/political intrigue. You might like it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

The Expanse series has quite a bit of politicking.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Iain Bank's Culture series is right up your alley. Dune is also a classic and ticks that box, although be weary delving into stuff post Dune, as it's of dubious quality.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Rush Limbo posted:

Iain Bank's Culture series is right up your alley. Dune is also a classic and ticks that box, although be weary delving into stuff post Dune, as it's of dubious quality.

Read from Dune until you get tired of a book, and then stop, as things will not get better.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

Nothing wrong with living in Wimbledon

I used to go to the Quakers House there for work meetings, it's ok.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Looking for a good intro to philosophy. Never took philosophy in college and always sort of wished I had. Any good starting points?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

Ah,

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

a mysterious cloak posted:

Looking for a good intro to philosophy. Never took philosophy in college and always sort of wished I had. Any good starting points?

That's a bit like saying "looking for an intro to Science" but Simon Blackburn's Think is a decent primer on Western philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

a mysterious cloak posted:

You might want to take a look at The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant. I think it's a pretty good overview of Western philosophy through the years and probably a better-than-average starting point.