Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Heaven Spacey posted:

how very apropos

I was thinking Tseng should be the support, Rude should be the physically stacked white mage to Reno's physically stacked black mage, Elena would be thief/machinist.

There we go, that's the take I can get behind.

Munoma posted:

That's a very valid point, how about instead.

Tseng, support, darkness, white magic.
Elena, tier five celerity, machinist, combat

That is also a pretty good setup.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

LornMarkus posted:

On the one hand I'm all for following the Canon and building the characters as such. On the other hand, canonically I don't recall Elena doing anything other than being sad that Tseng died so how about we just take this opportunity to not make the only girl of the group a White Mage and Support?

That's a very valid point, how about instead.

Tseng, support, darkness, white magic.
Elena, tier five celerity, machinist, combat
Rude, monk, knight, ninja.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

With Zell's SSB and Laguna's new SSB, and Vessel of Fate, I'm getting 5-hit Lifebanes from Zell, who is only level 66 and hasn't mastered the SSB yet. :swoon:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Chrono Trigger characters (and tech combos?) would be printing money.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Munoma posted:

Elena should be tier five white, tier four support.

Tseng based off my play through of VII. Should be tier four darkness, five sharpshooter, three or four white magic. Maybe something obscure like knight or thief.

Final Fantasy Wiki posted:

Turks:Elena fights by throwing grenades and alternates between fighting in the back row and the front row. If damaged while she is in the front row, she will move to the back, therefore, she is predominantly a back row fighter. Turks:Reno and Turks:Rude are always in the opposite row of Elena. She uses Kick and Throw (Shoot Version) regardless of where she is, she uses Throw (Fire Version) only when she is in the front row, and Bewildered, which always inflicts Confuse, only when she is in the back row or first turn when she is moving from back row to front row. She absorbs Ice attacks.
Yup, sounds like a white mage to me. Perfect!

Do we have a Monk 5/Machinist 5 yet? I'd be down for that.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I interpreted her as white magic due to her role in the Turks. Thanks for your cheeky response.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

Honestly Zell should have Machinist- one of his big things in the game is that he's good with machines.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

acumen posted:

Chrono Trigger characters (and tech combos?) would be printing money.

Not before I get Geno :argh:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Honestly Zell should have Machinist- one of his big things in the game is that he's good with machines.

Monks aren't allowed to be useful except as dps machines

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So the friend I mentioned before has asked for help, since they went 2/11 on OK2 - Blowback and the generic FFT mid regen stick.

4* Motes are still a while out for them so it's a long-term thing anyway, but they're having difficulty with Difficulty 75 dungeons and don't have MC1s for most of their characters yet - is there any way, through creative use of RWs and possibly creative use of the MCs they can get - that they'd be able to bust through to the ++ EXP dungeon and OK's MC3 before the event's up? A Lv99 Shitkicker stuck at 3* BLK/WHT with a great SSB is better than a worse-than-core with the same.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I've been mulling that over for a while, but the absolute best thing I can come up with, given how linear, low-weakness and generally assholish these ++ and +++(Seriously, 650 speed good sir ninja :monocle:) is Gilgamesh BSB for Drawtaliate, as they both use a lot of standard physicals.

Note; This doesn't slow down the MT physicals or Hecaton's Quake. The answer is, to varying degrees, "get lucky" to that.

Only other answer I think of is an extremely ripped OSB, but you'd need close to 600 attack on it and even then you'd have to do a fair deal of lifting against the +++. Yeah, I can't come up with a good simple reliable way to kill the ++ or +++, which is a drat shame.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
If Cloud can appear in Smash, then Mario can come to FFRK damnit.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Dang though but I am kind of annoyed by the TAY banner coming up after the first one. Cause on the one hand I pulled Twin Star out of a Lucky Draw so I'd love to pick up Porom's BSB to go with it, but literally nothing else on that banner is at all interesting. Even Palom's BSB isn't that interesting despite me also having picked up an Asura Rod for him from somewhere.

But oh well, just means I can safely put the Mythril toward a pull for Paine's BSB (or more likely some more Jecht stuff, given how much of his gear is on that banner).

(For those not playing JP that are curious and don't mind a view of the future, this thread has the breakdown of the two banners: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5fxp8l/the_last_red_wing_jp_megathread_iv/ )

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Much thanks again for the pointers the other day. Since then I've unlocked Dr. Mog's Teachings (still no Mako Might though and yes I did the Cargo Ship mission to get SOLDIER Counter) and am working on some other utility pieces.

Question: I have a Locke with his BSB, is it worth replacing Cloud or Jecht (with only their SSBs) and rolling the Keeper 2 banner to pick up a Red Gauntlet to boost the fire damage? I don't really have any other particuarly useful SBs outside of what I'm already using.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

paperwind posted:

Can we get another Dissidia event with Bowser fighting a crazy roided out Mario?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

LornMarkus posted:

(For those not playing JP that are curious and don't mind a view of the future, this thread has the breakdown of the two banners: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5fxp8l/the_last_red_wing_jp_megathread_iv/ )

King Blitz Jecht OSSB "King of the Blitz" single-target dark/fire-elemental physical damage with more damage the higher own SB gauge is

"But Lifesiphon + Ace Striker is a bad idea."
:roflolmao:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Munoma posted:

"But Lifesiphon + Ace Striker is a bad idea."
:roflolmao:

who says this

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

U-DO Burger posted:

who says this

A few goons some pages back in the thread mentioned that Lifesiphon is great at charging SBs even without Ace Striker/Battleforged, so those RMs might be better off on, say, a White Mage who really wants the extra boost from it.

Distortion from people reading and rereading it led to that current form, I would assume.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

NBHS posted:

Much thanks again for the pointers the other day. Since then I've unlocked Dr. Mog's Teachings (still no Mako Might though and yes I did the Cargo Ship mission to get SOLDIER Counter) and am working on some other utility pieces.

Question: I have a Locke with his BSB, is it worth replacing Cloud or Jecht (with only their SSBs) and rolling the Keeper 2 banner to pick up a Red Gauntlet to boost the fire damage? I don't really have any other particuarly useful SBs outside of what I'm already using.

Best of luck getting Mako Might to drop, sometimes RMs can be stingy. I've been lucky overall so far, most RMs drop within one or two levels but it took Tifa going from 70 to 75 in non-Sunday or Orbfest dungeons before she finally coughed up The Zangan Way. Sometimes, things gotta play hard.

On replacing Cloud or Jecht with Locke: yes, absolutely, though I'm not sure which one you should replace. Cloud is the worse of the two since Blade Beam is just really bad now but he's a Spellblade so you could use Fira Strike with him, whereas Jecht has the better SB but no way to take advantage of Locke's BSB's Imperil Fire effect outside of Fires Within and I'm not sure that's something you should be committing Major Orbs to yet, Jecht should hopefully be a stepping stone towards something better for you unless you really like him and want to keep using him. Swap the two of them in and out and see how you like going without each. Pulling on Keeper 2 for Fire Armlet... that one's a little less clear-cut but I think it's worth it in your case. I will say that you should avoid pulling on these banners for the selection prizes unless you're absolutely positive you're in a position where you can take massive advantage of the item you're pulling and I'm not 100% sure Locke's BSB has those kinds of legs. That said, you do have a lot to gain from the Keeper 2 relic pool. Though the Age of Shout is officially over, it'll still be a game changer for you since you're working with a Physical team right now and SG is SG. That will never be obsolete. Masamune would also give you a better SB on a better character than what you're using right now. The other four relics are less exciting but if you're keeping an eye to the future, CMs will eventually become a possibility and I will personally vouch for Miracle Prayer on Vanille, it is 100% Good Enough for CMs. That ALSO said... there's some real good poo poo coming in the next few weeks that 50 Mythril gives you a shot at and I would wait and see what the OSBFest banners look like because if I'm wrong and Grozz Nuy is right, any Fest banner that would include Onion Gauntlets will be a grand slam and even if not, there's a possibility a banner on there will be a no-brainer. Since Keeper 2 isn't going anywhere, I would advise you to at least wait until the OSBFest banners leak because that's the one big thing that'll determine how to allocate your pulls for December.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Munoma posted:

I interpreted her as white magic due to her role in the Turks. Thanks for your cheeky response.
Personally I think that her actual, in-game abilities are more important to determining her skill access than her role as "the girl" in the Turks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

paperwind posted:

DeNA is also Nintendo's mobile partner but that doesn't change the fact that rights are a colossal loving nightmare to deal with even if both SE and Nintendo were to decide they want a Nintendo collab in FFRK.

It'd probably happen in Japan but not in global due to the special kind of hell it'd be to deal with in places like the US. See also: The million collabs in Puzzle and Dragon that won't exist outside of Japan, even for stuff like DBZ.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My first OK 1 draw got me Arc's Robe and Staff- nice for kitting him out as a one-stop White Mage blink machine, but I already had Minwu's medica and Rosa's m-blink so it's not -as- major a step as it could be (other than CM concerns), and I really wanted a bigger ticket prize.
So after running a few dungeons for luck, my second 11-pull got me just one Rainbow, but faceted so I knew it had to be one of the two BSB-

Still Shout-less (Planet Protector can serve in a pinch, though, especially with this as Hastega) and Wall-less, but I'm pretty happy, all told. I've got Edward's Faithga, too, so even if it's no Sheepsong I'm pretty decent now for most team compositions and can get more creative with RW choices.

...Kinda want one of the other OK relics, and I'm not sure if I want to draw on 1 again or 2. I'd like Luneth's BSB, but I do HAVE relics for him (Advance and his stun), while I basically have nothing for the non-OK cast on banner 2.
My VIII synergy remains pretty bad, though...

This is only exceptional to me because I've been running the whole III team for over a month prior to this event to prep them without spending eggs (from level 1 to the 70s!) and I'm only just now getting this (I've had all the others for a while).

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
If we're wishlisting. Let's just get the Bouncer crew in there. All monks. Every single one.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

If we're wishlisting. Let's just get the Bouncer crew in there. All monks. Every single one.

Only if one of them gets a BSB that is them doing a weird, somersaulting double-kick, which is then followed up by both BSB commands being the same move. Bonus points if it has crazy high Stun chance.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

U-DO Burger posted:

who says this

Me, for one, and yeah, basically my argument is this:

KataraniSword posted:

A few goons some pages back in the thread mentioned that Lifesiphon is great at charging SBs even without Ace Striker/Battleforged, so those RMs might be better off on, say, a White Mage who really wants the extra boost from it.

Distortion from people reading and rereading it led to that current form, I would assume.

I find that Lifesiphon + Ace Striker/Battleforged is a tad overkill on designated attackers/DPS. Unless you really want maximum SB uptime (think something like blink, runica, draw fire, notable stacking debuff, whatever), you're probably better off with Lifesiphon + damage boosting RM instead. The main draw of this is that Lifesiphon is already really good at charging SB's solo, so you may as well enjoy something like a +30% weapon damage RM, to boost both the Lifesiphon and SB hits.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 3, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Nihilarian posted:

Personally I think that her actual, in-game abilities are more important to determining her skill access than her role as "the girl" in the Turks.

A white-mage knight appears

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Battleforged/Ace Striker + lifesyphon/wrath is good for those SBs you would like to have a Dr. Mog's/Mako Might for but don't. Also using those instead of a damage RM and lifesiphon means you can use something other than lifesiphon and keep your uptime on important SB debuffs as well

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Minor characters that can still be mined:

FF1
The robot that helps you get up to the sky fortress
Bahamut
Vampire
Dwarf guy that blows up dynamite
King of Cornelia
Cid

FF2
Princess Hilda
Borghen
Josef's Daughter
Paul
Scott
Cid

FF3
Doga
Unei
Xande
Goldor
Hein
Cid

FF4
Calca
Brina
Dwarf Princess

FF5
Kelger
Xezat
King Tycoon
Boko
Hiryu
Enkidu
Enuo
Ghido
Mid
Cid

FF6
Umaro
Gogo
Bannon
Emperor Geshtal
Typhon
Interceptor

FF7
Hojo

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
God, if they're doing FFIV:TAY content, that means we're probably going to get Edge's horrible ninja squad that nobody likes. :sigh:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

kalensc posted:

a WHT knight, even?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Battleforged/Ace Striker + lifesyphon/wrath is good for those SBs you would like to have a Dr. Mog's/Mako Might for but don't. Also using those instead of a damage RM and lifesiphon means you can use something other than lifesiphon and keep your uptime on important SB debuffs as well

Third option: Treat the entire game like one big Cid's Mission, and just bruteforce everything with 5* and 6* skills, damage RM's and maybe use a few damaging soul breaks late in the fight. :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Grozz Nuy posted:

TG Cid should hit global at the end of January.

Thanks. The January list of MC3s looks pretty good too so that's a nice extra bonus.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

FF1
The robot that helps you get up to the sky fortress
Bahamut
Vampire
Dwarf guy that blows up dynamite
King of Cornelia
Cid

FF2
Princess Hilda
Borghen
Josef's Daughter
Paul
Scott
Cid

FF3
Doga
Unei
Xande
Goldor
Hein
Cid

FF4
Calca
Brina
Dwarf Princess

FF5
Kelger
Xezat
King Tycoon
Boko
Hiryu
Enkidu
Enuo
Ghido
Mid
Cid

FF6
Umaro
Gogo
Bannon
Emperor Geshtal
Typhon
Interceptor

FF7
Hojo

I would unironically love having actual Bahamut as a party member.

Also, am I mixing minor characters up and Dornan is Bartz' dad rather than King Tycoon? I thought the latter was right but as I went to correct that I realized I might be mistaken.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

LornMarkus posted:

I would unironically love having actual Bahamut as a party member.

Also, am I mixing minor characters up and Dornan is Bartz' dad rather than King Tycoon? I thought the latter was right but as I went to correct that I realized I might be mistaken.

Dorgan is Bartz dad and is already a playable character in JP. We get him soon. King Tycoon is Lena & Faris dad.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

FF6
Interceptor

i need this in my life

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Dorgan is Bartz dad and is already a playable character in JP. We get him soon. King Tycoon is Lena & Faris dad.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Some of this stuff is unclear to me because the only time I ever played FFV is still the ROM I got back in the day with such an incomplete translation that right in the middle of Galuf's death scene the text just cut to "(TBA)." :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
But what about FFVI's Train Ghost complete with SB that removes it from the fight to instantly kill any enemy ignoring any resistance?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Bikke the fuckin Pirate needs to be an FF1 character yesterday.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Hogama posted:

But what about FFVI's Train Ghost complete with SB that removes it from the fight to instantly kill any enemy ignoring any resistance?

drat, that's a good one. It's even a playable character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

kalensc posted:

Ceodore is basically this. :v:

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

God, if they're doing FFIV:TAY content, that means we're probably going to get Edge's horrible ninja squad that nobody likes. :sigh:

I like em.

• Locked thread