Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I could maaaaybe buy that someone on Trump's staff saw this as a deliberate move to showcase Trump's "strength" and how Trump's gonna throw some weight around in negotiations with China, but there's no way Trump himself even understands the independence issue or the history of Taiwan at all. And nobody's in touch with him and he's taking no briefings, which means what he picks up from the current media buzz is going to be pretty much random.

Which means it's totally possible that Trump'll see that 'clarification' from the White House and belt out an angry tweet reminding everyone that the current White House staff doesn't speak for him and once he's in office he'll make his own decisions about what policies to keep, or that China will put out a statement about how the call hurt their feelings and Trump'll tweet back that he talks to whoever he wants and China can stuff it if they don't like it.

This lame duck period is at least interesting for America having two different foreign policy stances at the same time and nobody knows what the incoming one might be (or if it's even coherent) apart from reading twitter tea leaves. No way there's a coherent strategy at play though, Trump'll basically start formulating his Taiwan-China policy as he goes based on who insults or flatters him over the weekend.

Edit: Can someone who knows more about Taiwan's current President comment on whether they're someone who might want to try and play Trump into giving Taiwan formal recognition? They could easily coax it out of him with the right bait even if he doesn't realize what he's really doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

china you have literally all of china, it's loving huge

why do you want taiwan so bad

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wouldn't mind someone standing up to China either. But I'd like it to be someone who has a shred of knowledge about them, isn't a blithering idiot and someone who isn't so sensitive that they cry when some local news paper runs a picture of his double chin.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Tatsuta Age posted:

I talked to my dad on the phone and he went off on some anecdote after we talked about trump where he said "and when I pulled the lever against hillary I thought of you and your future" and internally I died

My dad thankfully didn't vote for Trump but this is basically how he justifies voting Republican for basically every other position. My entire goal over the next 4 years is to just keep forwarding him articles every time I see Trump do something that kills the environment, brings the US closer to war with Iran, gets shaken down by capitalists every time they try to leave the US, etc and just keep saying "Thanks dad!"

Like, he's normally a cynical as gently caress guy who knows nobody in politics gives a gently caress about him so he just votes to lower his own taxes and nothing else, but this election kinda broke him and now when I point out things like "Trump appointed a climate change denier to the EPA", "His Department of Education person spent her career murdering public schools for private ones", "He's meeting with Henry Kissinger, a man you only meet with if you're trying to murder brown folks miles and miles away" and he says the dumbest loving poo poo like "Well we can't judge them on their pasts, maybe they'll be different with more power", "he must have had a reason for appointing them, and if they turn out to be bad at their jobs he'll fire them", "He's actually a 7th dimensional chess master who is now giving himself more power of the GOP by filling his cabinet with GOP stooges", etc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DrProsek posted:

My dad thankfully didn't vote for Trump but this is basically how he justifies voting Republican for basically every other position. My entire goal over the next 4 years is to just keep forwarding him articles every time I see Trump do something that kills the environment, brings the US closer to war with Iran, gets shaken down by capitalists every time they try to leave the US, etc and just keep saying "Thanks dad!"

Like, he's normally a cynical as gently caress guy who knows nobody in politics gives a gently caress about him so he just votes to lower his own taxes and nothing else, but this election kinda broke him and now when I point out things like "Trump appointed a climate change denier to the EPA", "His Department of Education person spent her career murdering public schools for private ones", "He's meeting with Henry Kissinger, a man you only meet with if you're trying to murder brown folks miles and miles away" and he says the dumbest loving poo poo like "Well we can't judge them on their pasts, maybe they'll be different with more power", "he must have had a reason for appointing them, and if they turn out to be bad at their jobs he'll fire them", "He's actually a 7th dimensional chess master who is now giving himself more power of the GOP by filling his cabinet with GOP stooges", etc.

trying to justify being a republican voter with donald j trump in charge breaks people

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Yinlock posted:

its all about image

they dont want to appear weak and abdicate

uh uh uh the squiggly lines on the map means thats mine

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

most of the geography of china is useless desert, so taiwan is actually a more useful landmass than the majority of the chinese mainland

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if china doesn't maintain a hostile relationship with taiwain the ghost of chiang kai-shek will rise up and since mao has already ascended to the throne of heaven there will be nobody to oppose him.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ah poo poo, China O'Brien owns.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

How many days in a year?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

That DICK! posted:

How many days in a year?

365 but 366 every four years. those are called leap years.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

That DICK! posted:

How many days in a year?

420, I think

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its weird that we say a year is 365 days reflexively when 1/4 of them are 366. makes u think

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al! posted:

its weird that we say a year is 365 days reflexively when 1/4 of them are 366. makes u think

Except for leap centuries where one time we don't observe it

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Tweet storm trigger warning
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/804835883153178624

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

china loves its history (that agrees with the current leaders) so there's few things that'd piss the current leaders off more than losing 'historically Chinese land'.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Pictured, historically Chinese land according to PRC history:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

UofM professor explains why Michigan needs the recount. Some guy yells at him that he's full of crap.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ufjdjdjxj

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Al! posted:

if china doesn't maintain a hostile relationship with taiwain the ghost of chiang kai-shek will rise up and since mao has already ascended to the throne of heaven there will be nobody to oppose him.

Look at this gaijin doubting the Emperor Shōwa's ability to return to earth to once again discipline the infant Chinese for having the gal to think they can have an independent nation that bordered Japan.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/804843897562140674

DEEP STATE :lol:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/GlobalShakedown/status/804844131520385024

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I am honestly surprised how fast the GOP is bowing to Trump.

I am somehow disappointed in the Republican Party.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

a shameful boehner posted:

the first real naval battle in the paracel islands is gonna be bigly

how many carrier groups do you think trump and mattis lose

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

platzapS posted:

I am honestly surprised how fast the GOP is bowing to Trump.

I am somehow disappointed in the Republican Party.

both houses, presidency and a vacant supreme court seat will do that

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Look at this gaijin doubting the Emperor Shōwa's ability to return to earth to once again discipline the infant Chinese for having the gal to think they can have an independent nation that bordered Japan.
Russia is merely trying to maintain a safe buffer via its sphere of influence due to a profoundly painfully history of Western invasions :qq:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

some of them. all of them?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mannerup posted:

both houses, presidency and a vacant supreme court seat will do that

that tweet storm has a point in that it's a race to get what they want out of trump before he destroys everything

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You can't sink Taiwan, but :china: will try it anyway

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
does anyone actually think China is going to actually pull anything because Trump called a president of a country the US has no interest in liberating from China

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

WHERE IS CARRIER GROUP MAGA ONE, THE WORLD WONDERS

*Admiral Bannon furiously smashes his laptop*

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

Pictured, historically Chinese land according to PRC history:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

does anyone actually think China is going to actually pull anything because Trump called a president of a country the US has no interest in liberating from China

doing so seems to have pissed them off a great deal so who knows

the point is that he did this because refuses to learn anything about world politics

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
:rip: Kosovo/South Sudan

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Neurolimal posted:

Even if they don't its not a super great idea to rock the boat with China just so the president can have someone say nice things to him.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/804848711599882240

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sure, let's just double down on it

Mariana Horchata