Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

You'd have Storm and Hypergenesis out the rear end, it would get really bad really fast.

Elyv posted:

I still think that the best deck in no ban Modern is Infect Shoal

or at least it's my favorite because tolaria west engines are cool and good

Hypergenesis is actually really bad in no-banlist modern. Infect is good but at the events I've seen Delver (with skullclamp and treasure cruise) does gainbusters. Honorable mention to Mind Sculptor Control, GSZ (and skullclamp) elves, and artifact lands (and skullclamp) affinity.

noticing a pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Skullclamp standard was hilarious.

Tooth & Nail + Skullclamp

Goblins + Skullclamp

Affinity (it had skullclamp)

Really the only decks I didn't see run it were the affinity hate decks and the r/g land d decks

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What would a Hypergenesis deck look like in current Modern? Living End except trying to get dudes into your hand instead of in your yard? Obviously something like a turn 3 Emrakul is bad but it's not like you could run cheap card selection or ramp to help the combo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

What would a Hypergenesis deck look like in current Modern? Living End except trying to get dudes into your hand instead of in your yard? Obviously something like a turn 3 Emrakul is bad but it's not like you could run cheap card selection or ramp to help the combo.

my guess is something similar to this:
12x 3 mana cascaders
2-3x hypergenesis
4x simian spirit guide
4x street wraith
16-20x land
0-8x tutors(drift of phantasms, for instance), leylines, etc
14+ big dumb idiot

E: Also I forgot skullclamp was in a Modern legal set there, whooops. Elf and Nail is my favorite example of how stupid Clamp was, because it turned out that the best way to build a deck that revolved around casting a 9 mana spell was not to urzatron/12post, but instead jam in 16 1 mana creatures and 4 clamps, despite the fact that it was slower.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 2, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I too want to play a format where T2 kills are an ordinary draw for Infect.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Hypergenesis is actually really bad in no-banlist modern. Infect is good but at the events I've seen Delver (with skullclamp and treasure cruise) does gainbusters. Honorable mention to Mind Sculptor Control, GSZ (and skullclamp) elves, and artifact lands (and skullclamp) affinity.

noticing a pattern?

I thought Blue/Red Burn featuring Delver and Treasure Cruise was another big deck? Didnt it win one of the big no ban events this year?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rip Jund Deck

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

Rip Jund Deck

Eh it's still playable, just flatten it out and triple sleeve!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Would still be graded and sold at EX by someone at MCM.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Rip Jund Deck

Sorry for your lots.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Rip Jund Deck

What did you do

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Just for clarification, this was a pic stolen from facebook and not my deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Like what even is that on the cards? Mud?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Count Bleck posted:

Like what even is that on the cards? Mud?

99% sure it's soot and burn marks

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Looks like that deck has a bad matchup...

*puts on shades*

...against Burn.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

*puts on shades*

...against Burn.

Hahaha, thank you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

*puts on shades*

...against Burn.

FYI I stole this joke and reposted it elsewhere and gave myself credit for the joke.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Don't you people have renters or homeowners insurance??

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Talk about a case of the feelbads.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

*puts on shades*

...against Burn.

Goddamn. :golfclap:

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but if you're interested in playing a game which has a lot of the depth of Magic with the interface of Hearthstone then you should come check out the Eternal thread. its free to play and very quick to build a tier 1 deck, plus just went into open beta so there's a lot of newbies to learn with. I've basically stopped playing MTGO because this scratches that itch for me, I have a good deck and I haven't sunk a dime in. The grind is minimal and the packs are cheap. You can even draft like MTGO but asynchronous so you take as long as you want with your picks.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lawnie posted:

I'm not putting in a claim and raising my rates for a children's card game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

uPen posted:

I'm not putting in a claim and raising my rates for a children's card game.

In a world where I can even afford homeowner's insurance, I'd probably want something like a Magic collection worth $1,000 covered.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

They should have sent a poet...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Any idea where I can get those long cardboard card boxes? Do you think my LGS would give me one if I ask nicely and also buy some stuff from them while doing it?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

C-Euro posted:

Any idea where I can get those long cardboard card boxes? Do you think my LGS would give me one if I ask nicely and also buy some stuff from them while doing it?

Your LGS should have them for pretty cheap. Just ask if they aren't clearly shelved.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

C-Euro posted:

If you need a whole lot of them, you can order them straight from BCW. You'd have to need a whole bunch of them for the shipping to make sense, though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

BCW boxes are on amazon and they are cheap and good.

5 boxes - 13 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/BCW-Count-Corrugated-Cardboard-Storage/dp/B013XRR6I0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1480744009&sr=8-10&keywords=card+box

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Everyone says this poo poo but unless you specifically get a rider that itemizes and agrees upon your collection's value, nearly every homeowners insurance is going to pay you pennies a pound for damaged cards. You're not gonna get $4/per pack. You're not going to get SCG prices for your foil artist signed expeditions. They're not going to trust that the pile of water-logged ash from your house fire was a foiled fbb legacy deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm hoping for the return of magics best creature type in the egypt set

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4290

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the box info, I only need one though so hopefully my LGS sells them :v:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Another week, another bad set of Showdown boosters. I got more value in my pity pack of Kaladesh.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Voyager I posted:

I too want to play a format where T2 kills are an ordinary draw for Infect.
There's going to be a whole lot of mental missteps flying around though right?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm hoping for the return of magics best creature type in the egypt set

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4290

As somebody who owns that card, same.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There's going to be a whole lot of mental missteps flying around though right?

Yes, Infect is going to have 4 missteps to protect their dude against the most common creature removal.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Flea Bargain posted:

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but if you're interested in playing a game which has a lot of the depth of Magic with the interface of Hearthstone then you should come check out the Eternal thread.

Thanks for the pointer. This is really cool.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Jabor posted:

Yes, Infect is going to have 4 missteps to protect their dude against the most common creature removal.

The most common creature removal against infect would be mental misstep :v:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Patrick Sullivan is the best commentator.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sigma-X posted:

Everyone says this poo poo but unless you specifically get a rider that itemizes and agrees upon your collection's value, nearly every homeowners insurance is going to pay you pennies a pound for damaged cards. You're not gonna get $4/per pack. You're not going to get SCG prices for your foil artist signed expeditions. They're not going to trust that the pile of water-logged ash from your house fire was a foiled fbb legacy deck.

Not true! If you have either proof of what you bought (ie receipts from star city games if you got everything online) or a maintained list of what you own somewhere that shows when the list was made (you can see if this is something you can send in to your agent ahead of time) they will honor it. Or at least state Farm and all state will. You might have to go a tier up from your basic claims agent to get authorization, but it's not 'that' unusual. Source: mom works for state Farm on the claims side and friend had a bag of decks stolen from his car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

C-Euro posted:

FYI, the BCW boxes are crazy cheap. Like $0.10 each. My LGS has a bunch in the back and you just have to ask for whichever size you want. I use the 800 count and 300 count boxes the most.

• Locked thread