Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bef posted:

Don't wintendo games normally run at 60 fps? Can't imagine they wouldn't strive for the same

3D Zeldas normally don't but they do run at a smooth 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Toon Link confirmed best Amiibo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIgbPTBINhk

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SeANMcBAY posted:

3D Zeldas normally don't but they do run at a smooth 30.

The original Ocarina and Majora's Mask ran at 20.

For current gen both WWHD and TPHD and MM3D and OoT3D ran at 30. WWHD miiiiight have been 60.

Hyrule warriors was 30 in single player, .. less than that in multi.

LbW and TFH were 60.

TPHD, TP on GameCube both had noticeable dips, but TP on Wii didn't really have dips. Twilight Princess may be the best analogue to this situation.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

greatn posted:

Not really, some do, some don't.

http://nintendo.tumblr.com/post/153959693594/the-legend-of-zelda-30th-anniversary-amiibo-are

Nintendo revealed what the Amiibo do

"Ocarina of Time Link will reward you with a random amount of meat."

Boy the way that's worded is lovely. Even though they'd take a hit trying to sell amiibo during an award show now I kinda wish they showed this off last night just to hear Bill say it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm gonna get those WW amiibos in a few months when they're extra cheap.

greatn posted:

For current gen both WWHD and TPHD and MM3D and OoT3D ran at 30. WWHD miiiiight have been 60.

Hyrule warriors was 30 in single player, .. less than that in multi.

LbW and TFH were 60.

TPHD, TP on GameCube both had noticeable dips, but TP on Wii didn't really have dips. Twilight Princess may be the best analogue to this situation.

This sounds about right. 30 with dips and solid 30 on Switch is what i'm expecting.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

Gross. Real gamers emulate at 60FPS, the One True Framerate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpMTJgrfCc

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Electromax posted:

This is freaking me out.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Electromax posted:

Oh god, the smooth framerate combined with the slow camera movement is killing me. :barf:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

Actually real gamers prefer 20fps for those because it makes speed running tricks easier to do, like your standard HESS, bomb hovering, wrong warps, and memory manipulation.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Am I remembering wrong or at E3 did they mention that other dog based amiibo would work in the game similarly to Wolf Link?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

coffeecup posted:

I think the song he plays is the same as the E3 trailer from June. Am I hearing that right?

Also, Spergatory, I like the way you think. Some POV change-ups would be cool. Hyrule Warriors scratches the itch a little.

But yeah this needs to happen:

What about Ganon's RV Adventure? Which is like that except you decorate an RV and the story is about getting to the Animal Crossing world after being summoned by an amiibo powered ghost genie.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Electromax posted:

All of the comments talking about how great that looks has convinced me that frame rate nerds are like hardcore audiophiles. There are reasons and times when you want 60 fps or higher but praising something for being 60 fps no matter what It actually looks like is nuts.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Am I remembering wrong or at E3 did they mention that other dog based amiibo would work in the game similarly to Wolf Link?

You're remembering wrong in the sense that that didn't happen, but imo you're remembering right in that it's what Should happen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Electromax posted:

I thought I had completely grown out of motion sickness until just now.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about Ganon's RV Adventure? Which is like that except you decorate an RV and the story is about getting to the Animal Crossing world after being summoned by an amiibo powered ghost genie.

This does sound like the kind of scenario a Zelda NPC would find themselves in, yeah! I can't find anything else to add, it's perfect.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're remembering wrong in the sense that that didn't happen, but imo you're remembering right in that it's what Should happen.

I mean there's like a few they can do it with like Duck Hunt Dog and Poochy. I'd put the three or so Animal Crossing ones on the list but those dudes don't usually walk around on all four paws.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You begin to suspect that your amiibo is a portal to the meat dimension

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Can I airdrop sloppy meat piles on monsters to kill them like Metal Gear Solid or what here

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Wait so...is there a limit to the amount of times you can use the amiibo, or can you just summon an infinite stream of rupees?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's probably once per day.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I want to speculate about the game's timeline placement (just because it's fun to think about neat possibilities, not because I believe it is a Super Serious Research Endeavor with a perfect logical solution).

But it's impossible to predict because Nintendo doesn't follow any rules (not saying there ever were any) There are so many callbacks to various branches that I think the intent is less about timeline clues and more "hey, kid-aged players have most recently played 3DS Ocarina, WWHD, and TPHD, so let's put representative stuff in this new game, they will enjoy noticing it:

- OOT: Temple of Time and Song of Time
- WW: Koroks and sea minerals and the Helmaroc King's cousin
- TP: water fountain and Wolf Link.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This is where all timelines converge??

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

This is sort of what I've been thinking.

Being that there is a temple of time and rampant time travel, this might be a place out of time with little bits of different times and the problem is that time cannot progress until some problem (gannon) is fixed (using 3 things then 2 things then 1 thing)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i don't know who this kass is but i'd like to get to know them better.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Jackard posted:

YES! Each Zelda game actually involves some intervention by an aged Groose, unstuck from time. From behind the veil of eyesight, he tries his best to aid the Links. Sometimes he helps right wrongs, but sometimes invites unforeseen ones.

But now, after countless iterations, Groose has learned to master his abilities. In Breath of the Wild he has begun the process of collapsing a Hylian Tesseract. He is sending aid to Link from different times and parallel universes. It might be an extra key, or a bridge, a fellow soldier, or a doggo. He may even draw in an entire theater of war from another hero's era.

Groose experimented with these methods in Hyrule Warriors, it's why he did not fight in those battles himself. But now, instead of bringing all Hyrules side by side, he's come to make all Hyrules one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I like Amiibos being the Nintendo equivalent of freemium's paynig-for-energy rather than them being a thing that like unlocks a character or whatever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm still on board the "it's Wind Waker's timeline but if Ganon got his wish at the end instead of the king" theory.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

I think I like Amiibos being the Nintendo equivalent of freemium's paynig-for-energy rather than them being a thing that like unlocks a character or whatever.

Agreed, I think it's a good model. Getting a temporary resource or stat boost, and having to think carefully about when you use it (because of something like the 1 x day limit). That kind of thing supports experimentation with a player's gameplay strategy and is cool. And it's scalable based on game genre.

e:

mabels big day posted:

I'm still on board the "it's Wind Waker's timeline but if Ganon got his wish at the end instead of the king" theory.

:aaaaa:
That sounds cool.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 3, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

coffeecup posted:

YES! Each Zelda game actually involves some intervention by an aged Groose, unstuck from time. From behind the veil of eyesight, he tries his best to aid the Links. Sometimes he helps right wrongs, but sometimes invites unforeseen ones.

Hoping each time that the next leap will be the leap home.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

Hoping each time that the next leap will be the leap home.

Well sure, he's still human. But Groose Beckett is also proud to be part of something bigger than himself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Groose for Sm5sh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Common mistake. The game is titled breath of the "Wild", not Wind.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Common mistake. The game is titled breath of the "Wild", not Wind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If the game were called "Breath of the Wind," we could reasonably assume it was because Ganondorf had achieved his dream, of living in a world where he could always feel the wind he had always coveted, where as the title "the Wild" is more ambiguous.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When you think about it, wind is basically "the breath of the wild"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mabels big day posted:

When you think about it, wind is basically "the breath of the wild"

Picture that gif above, except instead of pulling his sunglasses down in confusion, he pushes them up and leans back, giving one heck of a thumbs up.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

mabels big day posted:

A ... a fourth timeline?! :stare:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

a.lo posted:

i don't know who this kass is but i'd like to get to know them better.

:same: , between turians in the new mass effect and kass the bird minstrel man, 2017 is gonna be a good year for meeting some fine lookin birdpeople

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 3, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A fourth timeline would be cool, but let's put the irony away and be honest here: this is definitely the Ghost Dad Link timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Electromax posted:

This is what happens when you tie poo poo to the frame rate.