Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I feel like you would eventually learn your lesson after the 3rd time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
best of three five

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Klaaz posted:

I like Testament but their live shows always sound like poo poo and way too loud. A combination making things even worse. Saw them about 8 times, I think I've seen them once with an acceptable soundmix.

same; they sound so lovely live that I've had trouble telling what song they were beginning to play, and I'm a fanboy.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Testament was actually good and sounded good the last time I saw them, mostly because they only played stuff from their first 2 albums.. but now I don't have any desire to see them again because that show won't be topped.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: Caladan Brood are working on new stuff!!!!!!!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

They broke a 3 year silence on their facebook page and announced:

Full quote below but I guess this started due to them putting out a Summoning cover on some compilation which is pretty great ( anything from Minas Morgul would be a winner really ):

Wait, there is an actual band named Caladan Brood? :psyduck:
I guess they play some earthy rock with burning vocals.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Wait, there is an actual band named Caladan Brood? :psyduck:
I guess they play some earthy rock with burning vocals.

They are basically Summoning but less cool.

It's about those Malazan books instead of LOTR.

I liked their one album though, it's cool they are making new stuff.

I liked that Gallowbraid ep way more though. The dude from Gallowbraid(one man band) is in Caladan Brood.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 2, 2016

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's hard for me to remember since their band name is so generic and lovely, but is Atheist a bunch of racist nazis or are they cool dudes?

THey're nice enough. As someone mentioned, they had a few gay members. Also, Kelly has a daughter with somewhat severe learning disabilities, from what I understand, so I'd think he's somewhat OK.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dirt posted:

I liked that Gallowbraid ep way more though. The dude from Gallowbraid(one man band) is in Caladan Brood.

I actually like Malazan books alot but the album was just alright imo. Summoning is probably the better version of the same thing. I believe they will improve with their 2nd album though so still hyped.

Btw did anyone mention Oathbreaker's latest album Rheia? Its freakin great. Its got the screaming sound a lot of DSBM bands have but musically they are alot varied instead of the depressive tone most DSBM has. Its like Post rock + DSBM. It's like explosions in the sky + coldworld.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Blind Guardian loves making songs for mediocre-looking RPG games. I never heard of it before, and this is the second time Blind Guardian has surprised me with a random song for a video game out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztm8T50vbtQ

Wikipedia posted:

It was announced that they are currently recording their live shows during the 2015 Beyond the Red Mirror U.S. tour for a yet to be titled upcoming live album. Blind Guardian is also working on an orchestral album, which is expected to be finished up after band's year of touring. Blind Guardian have been working on and off for eight years on that project, writing music about The Dwarves. Although it will not be a power metal album, it will be published under the name of Blind Guardian as it matches the theme of the band's lyrics, according to Hansi, who originally predicted that the album would be finished and released in 2016.[22] However, the band might have to postpone that album once again because in November 2016, it was announced that Hansi would contribute with progressive metal project Ayreon in their upcoming album, and their first ever official concert, Ayreon Universe.

I've never heard of this "The Dwarves" book before, maybe it's more popular in Germany?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dirt posted:

I know about the Malazan books, and my pun on the band name did apparently go without any form of recognition. Should have added they probably play a Tennes string guitar.

Without knowing anything else about the band, I can safely say they are complete nerds, cause why the hell else name your band after an character in a fantasy series that have only been out for 15 years or so.
The same goes for Amon Amarth (who are viking nerds and still good), Cirith Ungol, Minas Murgol and Blind Guardian and god/satan knows how many bands. Throw in Iced Earth for good measure as well for the Spawn record.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I mean it's nerdy but is it really any worse than naming your band after Lord of the Rings?

Gorgoroth, Burzum, Isengard...

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I mean it's nerdy but is it really any worse than naming your band after Lord of the Rings?

Gorgoroth, Burzum, Isengard...

Amon Amarth, Cirith Ungol, Minas Murgol are also LotR names.
Still nerdy and kinda funny that black metal bands keep doing it. How about that genuine Satan worship?
It is not that I mind nerdy stuff, having read LotR and Malazan more times than I care to admit, but the one would think bands could have more imagination.
On the other hand we have Coheed & Cambria......

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cardiac posted:

Minas Murgol
*Morgul.

Also :lol: @ anyone expressing any sort of surprise that metalheads are a bunch of giant nerds.

BJPaskoff posted:

Blind Guardian loves making songs for mediocre-looking RPG games. I never heard of it before, and this is the second time Blind Guardian has surprised me with a random song for a video game out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztm8T50vbtQ

I've never heard of this "The Dwarves" book before, maybe it's more popular in Germany?
Yeah never heard of it either. I'm gonna assume it's a local bestseller that hasn't been published abroad.

I like how the game's Steam page just flat out says "A game about the coolest fantasy race ever" instead of being all pretentious about it.

The song is decent and catchy but doesn't really sound a lot like Blind Guardian apart from Hansi's vocals. I'm not too excited about the whole symphonic boogaloo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Nerds? In my metal? Why I never.

Even old Varg himself is still working on that lovely racist RPG of his.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Also, (The Lord Weird) Slough Feg once released a whole album based on the old Traveller RPG. (Not to mention how they got their name from a British comic book villain.)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Metal without the massive ridiculous nerd influence would be terrible tbh

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

skolnick, hoglan, and digiorgio should start a jazz trio

Yes.

Henchman of Santa posted:

On one hand I think Testament have always been boring. On the other, that's their rhythm section now?!

Yeah, that is it. HOLY gently caress

I almost never listen to testament albums tbh, but I can't pass their live performances; great vibe, and you can see it in their faces that they are still true to what they do. I even thought their new album was kinda meh, but all the songs they played from it live sounded loving awesome, especially Stronghold

e: And yes, their sound could have been a lot better lol, at least that is what people kept saying. I almost never stay in the middle of a venue to check the sound quality though. Most times I end up on the far right or left and eat all the treble in the face, eh

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 2, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Metal without the massive ridiculous nerd influence would be terrible tbh

It would probably just have more of a focus on the bikers and leather kind of stuff

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

[quote="Cardiac" post=""467000388"]
It is not that I mind nerdy stuff, having read LotR and Malazan more times than I care to admit, but the one would think bands could have more imagination.

[/quote]

Even once is sometimes too much.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Tolkien: Not even 11231 times

Tolkien: DIDNT READ (anything else)

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Ulio posted:

I actually like Malazan books alot but the album was just alright imo. Summoning is probably the better version of the same thing. I believe they will improve with their 2nd album though so still hyped.

I feel the opposite - I think Caladan Brood's Echoes of Battle is better than anything Summoning has ever done ( excepting maybe Minas Morgul - which even with it's terrible drum machine is still great ), and I LOVE Summoning. Something about Echoes of Battle just speaks to me, there's so much emotion and it almost feels like their own genre they created - like Summoning++. I really think it's a case of "the student has become the teacher" - after listening to Caladan Brood, Summoning just feels kind of...empty, or lacking - still good but not as good as it could be.

Cardiac posted:

I know about the Malazan books, and my pun on the band name did apparently go without any form of recognition. Should have added they probably play a Tennes string guitar.

Without knowing anything else about the band, I can safely say they are complete nerds, cause why the hell else name your band after an character in a fantasy series that have only been out for 15 years or so.

:downsrim:

Their band personas are: Mortal Sword & Shield Anvil. :cool:

In other news:

Inquisition are touring North America, I'm so loving pumped I can't take it. :psyduck:

They are touring with Mayhem but who gives a poo poo - loving Inquisition!!!!

http://loudwire.com/mayhem-perform-de-mysteriis-dom-sathanas-in-full-2017-north-american-tour/

01/20 – Montreal, Quebec @ Club Soda
01/21 – Toronto, Ontario @ Phoenix Theater
01/22 – Cleveland, Ohio @ Agora Ballroom
01/23 – Chicago, Ill. @ Metro
01/24 – Milwaukee, Wis. @ Turner Hall Ballroom
01/25 – Minneapolis, Minn. @ Mill City Nights
01/27 – Denver, Colo. @ Gothic Theater
01/28 – Salt Lake City, Utah @ The Complex
01/30 – Calgary, Alberta @ Marquee
01/31 – Edmonton, Alberta @Starlite Room
02/02 – Seattle, Wash. @ El Corazon
02/03 – Vancouver, British Columbia @ Rickshaw
02/04 – Portland, Ore. @ Hawthorne Theater
02/06 – San Francisco, Calif. @ Social Hall SF
02/07 – Santa Ana, Calif. @ The Observatory
02/08 – Phoenix, Ariz. @ Club Red
02/10 – San Antonio, Texas @Alamo Music Hall
02/11 – Dallas, Texas @ Trees
02/13 – Atlanta, Ga. @ Masquerade
02/14 – Wilmington, N.C. @ Thorne Theater
02/15 – Washington, D.C. @ The Howard Theater
02/16 – Philadelphia, Pa. @ Theater of the Living Arts
02/17 – Poughkeepsie, N.Y. @ The Chance Theater
02/18 – Boston, Mass. @ Royale
02/19 – New York, N.Y. @ Gramercy Theater

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 2, 2016

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The new Demontage album, Fires of Iniquiry, is out today. It sounds like a psychedelic, Satanic incarnation of Brocas Helm met Sabbat in Belial's basement. Production is a bit raw, but it's loving incredible. The whole thing is streaming on their website/bandcamp.

http://demontage.ca/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

I feel the opposite - I think Caladan Brood's Echoes of Battle is better than anything Summoning has ever done ( excepting maybe Minas Morgul - which even with it's terrible drum machine is still great ), and I LOVE Summoning. Something about Echoes of Battle just speaks to me, there's so much emotion and it almost feels like their own genre they created - like Summoning++. I really think it's a case of "the student has become the teacher" - after listening to Caladan Brood, Summoning just feels kind of...empty, or lacking - still good but not as good as it could be.

:downsrim:

Their band personas are: Mortal Sword & Shield Anvil. :cool:

In other news:

Inquisition are touring North America, I'm so loving pumped I can't take it. :psyduck:

http://loudwire.com/mayhem-perform-de-mysteriis-dom-sathanas-in-full-2017-north-american-tour/

01/20 – Montreal, Quebec @ Club Soda
01/21 – Toronto, Ontario @ Phoenix Theater
01/22 – Cleveland, Ohio @ Agora Ballroom
01/23 – Chicago, Ill. @ Metro
01/24 – Milwaukee, Wis. @ Turner Hall Ballroom
01/25 – Minneapolis, Minn. @ Mill City Nights
01/27 – Denver, Colo. @ Gothic Theater
01/28 – Salt Lake City, Utah @ The Complex
01/31 – Edmonton, Alberta @Starlite Room
02/02 – Seattle, Wash. @ El Corazon
02/03 – Vancouver, British Columbia @ Rickshaw
02/04 – Portland, Ore. @ Hawthorne Theater
02/06 – San Francisco, Calif. @ Social Hall SF
02/07 – Santa Ana, Calif. @ The Observatory
02/08 – Phoenix, Ariz. @ Club Red
02/10 – San Antonio, Texas @Alamo Music Hall
02/11 – Dallas, Texas @ Trees
02/13 – Atlanta, Ga. @ Masquerade
02/14 – Wilmington, N.C. @ Thorne Theater
02/15 – Washington, D.C. @ The Howard Theater
02/16 – Philadelphia, Pa. @ Theater of the Living Arts
02/17 – Poughkeepsie, N.Y. @ The Chance Theater
02/18 – Boston, Mass. @ Royale
02/19 – New York, N.Y. @ Gramercy Theater

Mayhem are playing De Mysteriis dom Sathanas in full so I give a poo poo, but I am much more excited for Inquistion as well. Too bad it's like a Monday or Tuesday night here. I'll have to go directly from work.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I also think Caladan Brood is more enjoyable than Summoning. I really love Caladan Brood.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

The new Demontage album, Fires of Iniquiry, is out today. It sounds like a psychedelic, Satanic incarnation of Brocas Helm met Sabbat in Belial's basement. Production is a bit raw, but it's loving incredible. The whole thing is streaming on their website/bandcamp.

This is extremely loving rad. Thanks for posting it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Hulk Krogan posted:

This is extremely loving rad. Thanks for posting it.

yeah this owns a lot

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I refuse to believe that anyone is seriously surprised that metalheads are generally huge shameful nerds. Particularly fans of the subgenres usually discussed in this thread as opposed to Godsmack or something.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
It probably got missed a few pages back ( or no one cares ) but I think it bears repeating - If you're into Caladan Brood/Gallowbraid and Summoning also check out:

Sojourner

They took a base of Summoning ( and probably Caladan Brood too, actually ) and made it their own beautiful beast - although there is probably a bit more overt Summoning worship ( See the "Homeward" song ).

Full Album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfi-9Qbh4Tk

Their Bandcamp: https://sojournermetal.bandcamp.com/album/empires-of-ash

Every song is a gem but I think the highlights for me are: Heritage of the Natural Realm, Homeward, and Empires of Ash.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Yeah they're really good. Sounds a bit less blackened than their last one.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Yo Check Dis Out

Idk how I missed this. I was reading No Clean Singing today, and they have an article asking ppl for their year end fave list. I was reading through, looking for lists that cleaved 2 my own tastes, and some person just listed Gorguts, Ulcerate and this album. It's pretty good, it has the bad singer from Cryptopsy but he sounds fine on this album?

here are my top five metal for the year, just for fun:

1. Gorguts - Pleiade's Dust
2. Vektor - Terminal Redux
3. Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
4. Sinistrous Diabolus - II
5. Mithras - On Strange Loops

My Favorite non metal album this year is Grigory Sokolov playing Schubert & Beethoven, wow, yes, please check it out.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Is the new Dark Tranquility any good?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

TollTheHounds posted:

Wow now that is an odd venue choice. That place is like a "classy" kinda of bar that the asian and black community (and also gangs; they tend to infest any nice bar in Calgary) love to frequent and usually only hosts EDM artists. One of our CFL team players was shot and killed outside of it a couple months ago. On the night it opened an asian gang member stabbed one of the bouncers. It's also loving huge and there's no way its going to hit even 20% capacity.

It used to be a grungy rear end rock club (called The Back Alley) that would usually be frequented by people that hated typical club scenes and club music, so maybe whoever booked it still thinks its that sort of joint.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Chromatic posted:

Martin Henriksson quit back in the beginning of the year, saying that he "lost his passion for playing music." Judging by the last few albums, that showed. The riffs were just phoned in on all the songs he wrote since Fiction, while Sundin was still penning the one or two great tracks off of each album.

For better or worse, I think it's the album they've been really struggling to write since they started on Fiction. That album, We Are the Void, and Construct had little shadows of what they were going for, but I always got the impression that because of Sundin's indifference or overall bad band dynamics or whatever, those albums came out all wrong. Atoma sort of takes that really dark seed from Sundin's midpaced tracks like "Inside the Particle Storm" and rolls with it, but also throws back to the Damage Done and Haven style of composition. Anders Jivarp is unusually creative behind the kit, too, now that he has a little more room to play with textures outside of Martin Henriksson's medium-fast pedal-tone riffs.

If DT lost you a long time ago, this album isn't going to change your mind. But if you've been lukewarm on the stuff they've been putting out in the last decade, this is at the very least their best album since Character.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 3, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
That's good to hear. I haven't listened to much early DT but Damage Done and Character were great albums and while I really liked a couple of songs on Fiction, they kind of lost me after that. I checked out a little of WATV and Construct and it just felt generic and wheel spinning.

I'll def check out this album now. Thanks!

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 3, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone is seriously surprised that metalheads are generally huge shameful nerds.

Shameful? I have been a gigantic nerd since the 80s and never felt any shame about that.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Chromatic posted:

:yeah:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Overkill and Nile are going on tour together in February and March. East coast also gets Amorphis and Swallow the Sun.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Speaking of Dark Tranquillity, is it just my imagination or did it become an extremely uncommon thing over the last decade for bands to put individual band member writing credits in the liner notes? I like that DT still does it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Groke posted:

Shameful? I have been a gigantic nerd since the 80s and never felt any shame about that.

The most shameful part of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

After a few weeks with hardwired the only stuff that I keep listening to is

Hardwired
Now that we're dead
Moth into flame
Dream no more (this is waning)
Am I savage
Spit out the bone

A concise single disc is better than a slow double disc.

Man-unkind is sorta cool for doing something different.

The biggest problem I have is Lars overuse of snare just fatiguing the poo poo out of the listening experience.