Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Except for the fact that fem Ryder looks real bad that trailer looks real good to me.

Not pre-ordering though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

This is, in fairness a really low bar, but Kai Leng is at least does a better job as the mid-boss than Benezia.

lol no loving way dude your gimmick was believable until this

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Alain Post posted:

This is, in fairness a really low bar, but Kai Leng is at least does a better job as the mid-boss than Benezia.

Yeah, he does. I'm not the biggest fan of Kai Leng but he's a basically functional villain that has multiple interactions with the player and makes you dislike him immensely. He's set up early, stymies your plans a few times, and then you get to have a showdown where you beat him up. You literally don't interact with Benezia until the fight where you're killing her.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alain Post posted:

he recharges his shields by posing out in the open and if you try to shoot at the gunship (you've killed like 10 gunships by this point and five minutes earlier you kill two Harvesters) he makes fun of you :(

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lmao loving Kai Leng apologists?!? His very presence in the game was loving offensive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

lol no loving way dude your gimmick was believable until this

Name one thing Benezia does in Mass Effect 1 other than die after a slightly difficult fight

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Pattonesque posted:

I hope they have missions that are more moving through a map and less staying in one area, that would be cool

I dunno I played a little bit of the DA:I multiplayer, where you move through rooms and such clearing them out, and everything was just randomly generated and super generic and samey other than looks. I mean maybe it was also the combat system but since you don't take cover or anything in that game the environment was just set dressing over a corridor you go through.

I preferred ME3's set maps you learn like the back of your hand, although I guess if they made larger maps that you went through and cleared out that were hand-designed to actually have character/be good gamespaces that'd be real swell.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

Name one thing Benezia does in Mass Effect 1 other than die after a slightly difficult fight

Not be an anime ninja?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

I dunno I played a little bit of the DA:I multiplayer, where you move through rooms and such clearing them out, and everything was just randomly generated and super generic and samey other than looks. I mean maybe it was also the combat system but since you don't take cover or anything in that game the environment was just set dressing over a corridor you go through.

I preferred ME3's set maps you learn like the back of your hand, although I guess if they made larger maps that you went through and cleared out that were hand-designed to actually have character/be good gamespaces that'd be real swell.

yeah I should specify that kind of mission didn't work in DAI multiplayer but given what looks to be the combat system in ME:A I think it'd work better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, he does. I'm not the biggest fan of Kai Leng but he's a basically functional villain that has multiple interactions with the player and makes you dislike him immensely. He's set up early, stymies your plans a few times, and then you get to have a showdown where you beat him up. You literally don't interact with Benezia until the fight where you're killing her.

Kai Leng's main problem is that he is stupid. Like, conceptually putting an anime ninja in Mass Effect is stupid, and he looks stupid. He does, however, do everything a good mid-boss guy should do, like foil your plans/kill people you like/be really unlikable so it's cool when he dies/etc.

Ideally he should have been kinda like the Shepard Clone in Citadel, a more ruthless version of ME2 Shep, basically. A Zaeed-type with a fanatical pro-human streak, and smarts/skills to match Shepard but mainly in the same role would have worked really well.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah but he wasn't. He was an anime guy with a sword.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
You're forgetting the slanty-eye cyborg implants.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't played ME3 but this Kai Leng guy has to be pretty bad if he's worse than Benezia since I can barely remember who she is and I replayed ME1 a year ago.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Would have been better than what we got

"If anyone has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace."

*HOOOOOOOOONK*

"oh no, honey it's your ex, Sovereign."

*canned laughter*

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't played ME3 but this Kai Leng guy has to be pretty bad if he's worse than Benezia since I can barely remember who she is and I replayed ME1 a year ago.

I remember Benezia super well because she turned me into silly putty and melted me into the floor.

Also, that rack. Shame Liara didn't take more after her mother.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember Benezia super well because she turned me into silly putty and melted me into the floor.

Also, that rack. Shame Liara didn't take more after her mother.

Wait, she was Liara's mum wasn't she? I forgot about that. All I remembered is that you fight her in the Rachni level and then she exposits a bit about Saren's plans before dying.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Alain Post posted:

Ideally he should have been kinda like the Shepard Clone in Citadel, a more ruthless version of ME2 Shep, basically. A Zaeed-type with a fanatical pro-human streak, and smarts/skills to match Shepard but mainly in the same role would have worked really well.

An indoctrinated Miranda clone would have been pretty much spot on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wouldn't say indoctrinated, because TIM being indoctrinated is one of my least favorite parts of ME3, but yeah.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Well, whatever explanation you like for 'aligned with Cerberus'.

There should be a firewall between main franchises and 'extended universe' characters and honestly that would stop 90% of bad video game characters who show up in games making you go "who?"

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 3, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is Trespasser the Citadel (of Mass Effect) of DAInq, or is it just an okay DA dlc that explores the world of THEDAS competently?

Like, I don't remember a lot of DAInq, but I guess is was okay, but I do remember thinking the fetching and fetchquest-gated bullshit was legit bad. Is it worth playing Trespasser or can I just watch a few minutes on youtube to get the gist?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Trespasser owns and it is a plot and lore centric coda to DAI and opening for DA:4-Tevinter, Bitches

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Like, even though Cotadel was good in its own way, Trespasser is the exact opposite of Citadel

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kai Leng is very very bad and even worse is that he seemingly has as his main power the ability to make everyone who comes near him incredibly stupid.
In the Ciadel coup mission we are treated to a standoff with him where he is holding the Salarian councilor hostage. At this point, offscreen, Thane the Drell assassin with a goddamn sniper rifle creeps up behind him and engages him in a super duper special ninja flipping hand to hand fight because Kai Leng obviously activated 'stupid' and made Thane forget how to use a gun. This power is obviously an AoE power because Shepard and team also forget how to use guns and just stand there with their thumbs up their arses watching the fight instead of doing something useful like , I dunno, helping kill the fucker.
This is all still cutscene by the way, Thane gets a sword through his chest and Kai Leng ninja flips away. Shepard takes her thumb out of her arse and gives chase in a skycar onto the top of which Kai Leng ninja flips and poses dramatically with a sword. He activates 'stupid' again which this time causes Shepard to blindly shoot through the windscreen and when that that doesn't work to open the door, lean out and blindly shoot, completely missing him. Meanwhile your squad sit there presumably with their thumbs still up their arses because no-one thinks of the numerous ways you could get a person to fall off a skycar, like rolling it or suddenly braking or flying just underneath one of the bridges to knock him off....
The final insult is the fact that your bullets couldn't penetrate through the skycar but his ninja blade can! and it causes you to crash at which point 'stupid' wears off and you can use your guns and aim again and use your powers and everything, but the fucker has vanished so you have to go back to killing Cerberus again.
:rolleyes:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Trespasser owns and it is a plot and lore centric coda to DAI and opening for DA:4-Tevinter, Bitches

Ah, since I don't really give a poo poo about THEDAS lore or whatever I shall pass.

Looking forward to ME4!!!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Trespasser felt pretty Citadel-y to me, I remember plenty of the cute character moments people liked Citadel for.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

aegof posted:

Trespasser felt pretty Citadel-y to me, I remember plenty of the cute character moments people liked Citadel for.

It had them but you had to do cool fights and advance the story

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Which was the final DAI DLC? I never got around to finishing it. I was in some garden and had to wander around talking to people and just didn't feel up to it. Been meaning to finish so I could delete the whole thing from my PS4.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
That's Trespasser and don't talk to people just go fight qunari

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hmm...6-8 hours to finish. So 4 or 5 sessions. Meh. Feels like work.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mass Effect Andromeda: We hate Bioware so much, let's talk about it endlessly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DAO was Biowares best game. This is undeniable. Baldurs Gate doesn't count because it was boring.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

DAO was Biowares best game. This is undeniable. Baldurs Gate doesn't count because it was boring.

DA:O had the Fade and that whole terrible section where you're running back and forth from the Mage Tower and then the Deep Roads. It had very, very bad slogs in it.

ME2 on the other hand is perfect.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Codependent Poster posted:

DA:O had the Fade and that whole terrible section where you're running back and forth from the Mage Tower and then the Deep Roads. It had very, very bad slogs in it.

ME2 on the other hand is perfect.

ME2 is far from perfect.

I mean, c'mon.

DAO, OTOH, had multiple endings that were actually based on your decisions. It was clearly thought out from start to finish.

The fade was tricky but hardly game breaking. Zelda OoT is regarded as one of the GOAT and it has the water temple.

ME2 starts and ends with complete stupidity. It's an 8, at best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Suicide Mission is good.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Pattonesque posted:

heck yes

load up with the Saber and every shot feels like a railgun because of the sound. it's the best

That gun refused to unlock for me in over 1000 matches played. My friends would load out with their sabers and shoot me in the face before waves just to mess with me. :shepicide:

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Man the animations in that gameplay trailer were impossibly bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Trast posted:

That gun refused to unlock for me in over 1000 matches played. My friends would load out with their sabers and shoot me in the face before waves just to mess with me. :shepicide:

It was hilariously easy to miss in single player and only during the mission to Sanctuary so you barely got to play with it, which is too bad because it owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The start, and end of Mass Effect 2 are the best parts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 2 more than anything is a triumph of good pacing, and I can't begin to tell you how well paced the last cutscene of you fleeing the exploding Collector base is. It's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The start and end of Mass Effect 2 are incredible, what the gently caress are you talking about