Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Normalize the system in every state. Don't just have a weird patchwork of ballots and caucuses, winner take all and proportional, and states going back to vote again and again.
There were no winner take all states in the Democratic primary fyi

quote:

Under the Delegate Selection Rules for the 2016 Democratic National Convention, all states are required to proportionally allocated delegates with a standard qualifying threshold set at 15%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AceRimmer posted:

Fair enough, but the rest of the point stands.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i don't have high hopes for the democrats tbqh

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

so do contested primaries actually have a negative impact on the eventual general candidate or is that an establishment lie meant to squash dissent?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

comingafteryouall posted:

so do contested primaries actually have a negative impact on the eventual general candidate or is that an establishment lie meant to squash dissent?

I don't know the answer to this question, but if there's anything that 2016 has taught us, it's that the party should not interfere in party primaries to the greatest extent possible, if only to force the eventual winner to be as adaptive and flexible as possible.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Don't post with Democrats over there, post here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There's a lot of wet blankets, its time to oppose them all on forums, comments, not give in and pretend you know no better. Not gonna let them re-write a 2000-like script and blame people who want to help.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AceRimmer posted:

Fulchrum's true identity of Hillary's 2008 campaign manager revealed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus christ, that Harvard roundtable discussion. There's a point some time after the one hour mark where the Clinton lady goes absolutely crazy. She says that anyone who said "I would vote for a woman just not this woman" are sexist because Clinton is the best woman, if anything that was their problem, Clinton was so far ahead all the other women there were no women to compare her to to show how great she is. And when people said "There's something about her, I just don't like her or trust her" that was also sexist because people have been saying that about Clinton for her entire career.

How the heck did Hillary Clinton of all people manage to build a cult of personality?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

"Well, we don't want people to think Hillary is soft...."

"Make it the most angular loving thing possible that's repulsive to look at."

Pollyanna posted:

Same, I'd rather do blanket volunteering and stuff like that than have anything to do with the DNC again. I'm not sure the primaries are worth it, but maybe I'll change my mind by the time they come around. Still gonna vote for 'em, though.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Guy Goodbody posted:

How the heck did Hillary Clinton of all people manage to build a cult of personality?

When liberal professionals have nowhere else to go, they'll choose any port in a storm

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Jesus christ, that Harvard roundtable discussion. There's a point some time after the one hour mark where the Clinton lady goes absolutely crazy. She says that anyone who said "I would vote for a woman just not this woman" are sexist because Clinton is the best woman, if anything that was their problem, Clinton was so far ahead all the other women there were no women to compare her to to show how great she is. And when people said "There's something about her, I just don't like her or trust her" that was also sexist because people have been saying that about Clinton for her entire career.

It isn't Hillary per say but the Democratic Party in general. Establishment voters like establishment candidates.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

It isn't Hillary per say but the Democratic Party in general. Establishment voters like establishment candidates.

And establishment voters don't know how to shut the gently caress up when they lost everything for everyone. It's why the prospects are bad. Still gotta try.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yas Queen memes?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Yass Qween cannot be slay, only slay.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Almost every celebrity will have a cult of personality, including D-listers. I assume it's something extremely common in humanity as a whole, but gently caress if I know what it is. But basically if you are in the public spotlight for long enough, you'll get people who are irrationally obsessed with you despite being worthless.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if you work for the hillary campaign and worked really hard and believed what you were doing was right its really not surprising that you'd rationalize your loss.

like, dont get me wrong, i think sexism was part of why hillary lost, but she went up against mango mussolini of all people. a win was well within her power. this wasn't like some squeaker where she went up a folksy charmer with a well-oiled campaign machine.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I dunno, I'm tentatively hopeful about the rebuilding process. It seems like all the establishment Dems have gone into hiding and are letting the progressive wing take control of the party leadership and messaging. The Democrats aren't nearly as hosed up and worthless as Labour is right now.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

anime was right posted:

if you work for the hillary campaign and worked really hard and believed what you were doing was right its really not surprising that you'd rationalize your loss.

like, dont get me wrong, i think sexism was part of why hillary lost, but she went up against mango mussolini of all people. a win was well within her power. this wasn't like some squeaker where she went up a folksy charmer with a well-oiled campaign machine.

The biggest thing for Democrats to process is that for a year they considered Trump by far the weakest candidate but in retrospect no other GOP nominee would have won WI, MI and PA. Cruz probably loses OH and FL, Rubio loses everything in the Rust Belt besides Indiana and Kasich wins Ohio and maybe Virginia in an upset but gets crushed everywhere else

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Trump was the only one who had similar name recognition as Hillary, and also similar unfavorables so in hindsight it shouldn't be surprising that it was close but lol the cobbening is real and it is all of us

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Guy Goodbody posted:

same way stalin did, fill the party with your hanger ons and cronies

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My second favorite part of that roundtable is the moderator asking the Clinton team, "in retrospect, should you have spent less time on debate prep and used that time for campaigning?"

The Clinton guy responds, "uhhh, we won those debates by the biggest margins ever, so..."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was all Trump. People were so terrified of the idea of a Trump presidency, they latched onto the person who was the most likely to save then.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MizPiz posted:

It was all Trump. People were so terrified of the idea of a Trump presidency, they latched onto the person who was the least likely to save them.

Fixed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One more amazing thing from the roundtable: The Clinton campaign saw a lot of people online and IRL who were sort of lukewarm about their support of Hillary, not very enthusiastic. That's because the email scandal made people afraid of the social backlash they'd get if they made it clear that they really loved Hillary Clinton a lot.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

UHD posted:

seems like a good rule in presidential campaigns is "don't poo poo on the electorate"

What if you don't poo poo on them, but rather walk into their town and tell them that you'll make sure they're all unemployed? Would that help?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Guy Goodbody posted:

One more amazing thing from the roundtable: The Clinton campaign saw a lot of people online and IRL who were sort of lukewarm about their support of Hillary, not very enthusiastic. That's because the email scandal made people afraid of the social backlash they'd get if they made it clear that they really loved Hillary Clinton a lot.

I mean, can you actually name any other reasons why people weren't enthusiastic about Hillary?

Sorry, could you repeat that?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

mugrim posted:

What if you don't poo poo on them, but rather walk into their town and tell them that you'll make sure they're all unemployed? Would that help?

doesn't that qualify as making GBS threads on them

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

UHD posted:

doesn't that qualify as making GBS threads on them

Technically you're not insulting them, just you're just letting them know their material security is entirely irrelevant to you.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mugrim posted:

Technically you're not insulting them, just you're just letting them know their material security is entirely irrelevant to you.

It's not entirely irrelevant, you care enough to want to make sure they're all unemployed. If nothing else, it's at least insulting.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

I have a friend on facebook who is a staffer and has all these photos of her with HIllary so I get to see what the former rank-and-file foot soldiers think. There was a guy who legit said that Trump was destined to win because 8 years of any party in the White House usually gives it to the opposite party, and he was even congratulating Hillary on coming this close to winning despite the overwhelming odds. :stare:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rand alPaul posted:

There was a guy who legit said that Trump was destined to win because 8 years of any party in the White House usually gives it to the opposite party, and he was even congratulating Hillary on coming this close to winning despite the overwhelming odds. :stare:

this is a real thing, actually

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

I have a friend on facebook who is a staffer and has all these photos of her with HIllary so I get to see what the former rank-and-file foot soldiers think. There was a guy who legit said that Trump was destined to win because 8 years of any party in the White House usually gives it to the opposite party, and he was even congratulating Hillary on coming this close to winning despite the overwhelming odds. :stare:

That was kinda floating around d&d & cspam primary threads as well, but it was believed Hillary broke the cycle after pussy-gate.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MizPiz posted:

It's not entirely irrelevant, you care enough to want to make sure they're all unemployed. If nothing else, it's at least insulting.

So going forward we need to get down on our hands and loving knees and start sucking that coal dick?

That thing you're referring to was her talking about transitioning from coal mining to green energy jobs that, among other things, don't give out black lung. If that is just a sign that you secretly hate them so loving much and secretly wish they would all die, what the hell response is there outside of talking about how global warming is a hoax by the chinese?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Guy Goodbody posted:

She was a woman willing and mostly successful at fighting through a male-dominated world to reach the cusp of ultimate power over the course of like 30 years and dealt with a lot of poo poo that many women can relate to

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Fulchrum posted:

So at this point, messaging and party vision for all three (four if Hogue jumps in) is almost virtually identical, it's now down to who says it.

wouldn't we want someone who works at the position full-time rather than part-time?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Mutant Standard posted:

wouldn't we want someone who works at the position full-time rather than part-time?

I'm kinda hoping Ellison vacates his seat. His district isn't in danger of flipping and I'd rather he focus his full efforts on saving the DNC than accomplishing nothing in a GOP-dominated House.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I honestly thought we were going to have that joint-chair situation with Dean and Ellison but I guess that's gone now.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

mugrim posted:

my worldview allows for a making GBS threads to be both insulting and marginalizing

maybe some other stuff too it's pretty flexible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mutant Standard posted:

Again, Ellisson has said he'll likely drop his seat if he gets the job, so that's all four too.

My point is, it's becoming apparent it doesn't need to be Ellisson specifically, everyone in the party has agreed that the focus has to go back to the ground game, and that every election that happens on every level should have the parties focus.

Now it has become purely about the minutiae.

• Locked thread