Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The 70s were a strange time for sci-fi.

I do remember watching the SW Holiday Special but all I really remember what the Boba Fett cartoon. In hindsight that may have been my brain suppressing the memories of those other skits.

I also remember Legends of the Superheros

quote:

Legends of the Superheroes is an umbrella title for two 60-minute live-action television specials produced by Hanna–Barbera that aired on NBC on January 18 and 25, 1979. The series was loosely based on Hanna-Barbera's Super Friends cartoon show, then airing on Saturday mornings on ABC; But served as a reunion of sorts for the 1960s' Batman TV Series, as it brings back together three of its stars reprising their respective roles. The specials were produced like standard variety shows of the time: on videotape and with a laugh track.[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7Y0bVbMTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qICz-4q4VhM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvo5n_IVuuU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Dravs posted:

The Ewok movies are real?! I legit thought I had dreamt watching then when I was young because my adult mind could not cope with their existence.

Yeah, I probably watched em a hundred times apiece as a kid. I had them both on VHS that had been recorded off of tv, goofy old commercials and all. <3 Cindel.

E: the first movie involves spiders the size of goddamned horses, Cindel's brother (Mace, I think) getting magically trapped under the surface of a lake, and a 50ft tall troll.

EE:and sexy fairies or some poo poo

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Dec 1, 2016

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, I probably watched em a hundred times apiece as a kid. I had them both on VHS that had been recorded off of tv, goofy old commercials and all. <3 Cindel.

E: the first movie involves spiders the size of goddamned horses, Cindel's brother (Mace, I think) getting magically trapped under the surface of a lake, and a 50ft tall troll.

I had nightmares about that lake for a long time

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

As a huge Star Wars fan, I never knew this happened. I'm still in a bit of disbelief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3a5j8PgQxg

That thumbnail :eek:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Holy poo poo lmao

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

Forgot about that bit with Mace until you brought it up. All I really remember was there was one ewok in particular who annoyed Mace but then he felt guilty about it when the ewok died. I think it was called Chukka or something. We had one of those little read-along books that came with the cassette.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The best part is that Mace and Cindel work with the Ewoks in the first movie to save their parents. Yay! Everything is cool!

Second movie starts, dad has almost fixed the family's crashed starship and gets gunned down for the power core by some space Vikings. All the Ewoks get kidnapped, mom and Mace die and it's just Cindel and Wickett abondonef in the loving woods. Kind of downer opening.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Is one of them called "caravan of doom"?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Automatic Retard posted:

Is one of them called "caravan of doom"?

Caravan of Hope or something and Battle for Endor

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pvt.Scott posted:

The best part is that Mace and Cindel work with the Ewoks in the first movie to save their parents. Yay! Everything is cool!

Second movie starts, dad has almost fixed the family's crashed starship and gets gunned down for the power core by some space Vikings. All the Ewoks get kidnapped, mom and Mace die and it's just Cindel and Wickett abondonef in the loving woods. Kind of downer opening.

So it's basically Alien 3.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah it always seemed really weird how they killed of 3/4ths of the family unit abruptly after all the efforts to endear them to us in the first film. It was right up there with the transformers movie at the time for me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hey man, life on the Galactic Rim is hard and fast. Lucas has a fetish for endangering children, so I think he really enjoyed Battle for Endor.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

As a huge Star Wars fan, I never knew this happened. I'm still in a bit of disbelief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3a5j8PgQxg

"We may have gone too far in some places"

- George Lucas upon the first screening of the completed episode one

Strangely enough that seems to have just slipped his mind for the next two movies

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

plain blue jacket posted:

"We may have gone too far in some places"

- George Lucas upon the first screening of the completed episode one

Strangely enough that seems to have just slipped his mind for the next two movies

Reminder that Stars Wars:The Phantom Menace was the most profitable movie of 1999 despite being the most boring pile of CGI ever assembled.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Come to think of it, the final fight scene in Revenge of the Sith took 1,650 people, millions of man hours, millions of dollars, to produce one of the most drawn out and unnecessarily prolonged climaxes to a movie ever made.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Carrie Fischer just admitted she was loving Harrison Ford during the movies. That's a thing that happened.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beastie posted:

Carrie Fischer just admitted she was loving Harrison Ford during the movies. That's a thing that happened.

Did anyone think that didn't happen?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

At this point it's more like who didn't she gently caress on those movies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She got while the getting was good. Can't blame her. Especially since she now looks like everyone's grandma, but Harrison could still pull.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd still gently caress Carrie Fisher if she wore the slave Leia outfit

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'd still gently caress Carrie Fisher.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

gently caress Carrie Fisher.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
gently caress fish

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A White Guy posted:

Come to think of it, the final fight scene in Revenge of the Sith took 1,650 people, millions of man hours, millions of dollars, to produce one of the most drawn out and unnecessarily prolonged climaxes to a movie ever made.

Actually, the longest climax/battle in film history apparently goes to the hobbit battle of five armies, lasting almost 45 minutes theatrically and nearing a full hour in the extended cut.

Even freaking waterloo's battle scene didn't last that long.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Chiming in to say that I would def still gently caress Harrison Ford too (and smoke a blunt with him)

Content: I actually heard a song by the Butthole Surfers on the radio the other day. In 2016. It reminded me of this thread.

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Dec 6, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Actually, the longest climax/battle in film history apparently goes to the hobbit battle of five armies, lasting almost 45 minutes theatrically and nearing a full hour in the extended cut.

Is being bored and starting a game of Trivia Crack considered a climax now?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Beastie posted:

So? Good for her.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

I saw it when it first aired and spent 20 years thinking I had dreamed it all somehow.

Bea Arthur is Star Wars canon.

I, too saw it as a child and years later thought it was some cough medicine-induced hallucination. It was just so bizarre I could understand how it fit in with the whole Star Wars universe.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

genetic_knockout posted:

Content: I actually heard a song by the Butthole Surfers on the radio the other day. In 2016. It reminded me of this thread.

Was it Pepper or Dracula From Houston? Both of 'em still get airplay, for whatever reason.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Count Uvula posted:

Was it Pepper or Dracula From Houston? Both of 'em still get airplay, for whatever reason.

It was Pepper! I guess it still does get some airtime, but I literally haven't heard or thought about that song in probably 20 years!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

butthole surfers are the poo poo, but their 80s stuff is their best. PCPPEP rules

I have no idea what you're referencing about them earlier in the thread, but here's a badass video featuring the butthole surfers and the beastie boys when they were still punk in 1984:

https://youtu.be/bezWjn1rT1E?t=667

edit: I can't get it to embed with a timestamp, the . in youtu.be fucks it all up

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Dec 6, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fucks sakes :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Seven Samurai's entire second half is basically one large battle. I wonder what the criteria are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, but that's in black and white. Bet it didn't even have any CG explosions or anything either. Doesn't count.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like Helm's Deep and the siege of Gondor or whatever were both like an hour and a half long each

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I read the books as a kid and excitededly watched the movies as they came out and loved them

When they came out, I bought the LOTR extended editions and loved them.

But then I watched Hobbit I and had no interest in finishing it. Did I grow out of LOTR or did it get lovely?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

I read the books as a kid and excitededly watched the movies as they came out and loved them

But then I watched Hobbit I and had no interest in finishing it. Did I grow out of LOTR or did it get lovely?

Same, I never saw the 2nd and 3rd ones. It was lovely because instead of 3 movies based on 3 longish books, it was 3 movies based on 1 very short book. Like Return of the King is almost half appendices and poo poo and the story part is still longer than The Hobbit. They also tried way too hard to make them all serious and poo poo like the LotR trilogy when The Hobbit is a much more lighthearted book for the most part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tactlessbastard posted:

The second one is pretty good.... until they run out of material. Really, even with the unnecessary stuff like Gandalf visiting the Nazgul's tomb and the fanfic Elf subplot, the first half of the film goes by at a good clip and covers a ton of stuff in the book in a swift fashion. It's just that, once they reach the Lonely Mountain, the Smaug scene starts. And then never ends. When they are actually doing the Bilbo/Smaug stuff, it is fantastic, but then they spend the final twenty minutes of the film doing a rube goldberg action sequence that goes on forever.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

genetic_knockout posted:

That's considered classic rock now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I recently heard AC/DC in an elevator and felt so old.

• Locked thread