Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also, ME3 wasn't just a good game, it was a great game with a horrible ending. Mordins end in ME3 was better than any character story in ME2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

Also, ME3 wasn't just a good game, it was a great game with a horrible ending. Mordins end in ME3 was better than any character story in ME2

Man, Mordin was such a fuckin' trooper. :911:

Happy Jack was also really fantastic, considering ... what she was in ME2.

I just think it's pretty hilarious that ME4 will have basically a normal mass effect settlement and I'm pretty positive it'll look almost exactly like Me3 presidium. They give us Rock Helmets on aliens and try to tell us they're sooo unique and then they give us a basic bar/club poo poo and blah blah. Like I've said, I'll keep an eye on this, but nothing I've seen so far has even hinted at a "bold new galaxy and exploration" that they had a clear opportunity to do.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lmao at this "the answer was somewhere in the middle" bullshit, ME3 was a loving dumpster fire and the people defending it here are trolls, gimmicks or contrarians.

The ending was an atrocious spectacle of disrespect and it breaks you enough to realize the rest of the plot was just as bad.

The gameplay is good enough that they might have been able to run it past you had the ending not been such a dumpster fire *does a cool anime sword slash like Kai Leng*

(For all their flaws I loved ME1 and ME2 and view them as some of the best and most important games in western RPG history. ME3 is definitely not the best at anything except being poo poo, although you could argue it is important for certain reasons. )

The answer isn't somewhere in the middle like some bullshit south park ending. Some people liked it, some people liked most of it but had some hangups, some people disliked most of it but found some redeemable features, and some people thought of it as a total dumpster fire. There is no single answer because there is no consensus. Like, you clearly hated just about everything but since I found it enjoyable, I could just as easily call you a troll, gimmick, or contrarian.

You're so determined to convince everyone that Mass Effect 3 was an unmitigated disaster and you won't stop posting about it and all I want to know is why go to these lengths? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I even would've pm'd you but you don't have plat so I'm asking here at risk of starting a derail.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BrianWilly posted:

New Andromeda Initiative video.

Really comprehensive info on the Arks and the Nexus. Very reminiscent of the Citadel in most ways, to be honest...but lore stuff like this gets me more excited than a dozen NEW poo poo trailers.

Hm, one thing about that video. The pop-up slides mention that the Nexus Superintendent is a female Krogan. I know there were some "what about the genophage?" questions here, and those seem like they'll be even more important now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Hm, one thing about that video. The pop-up slides mention that the Nexus Superintendent is a female Krogan. I know there were some "what about the genophage?" questions here, and those seem like they'll be even more important now.

Not really. I'm sure it's just a WOrthing Saga type of deal, where one week every five or fifteen years they wake up the lady Krogan from cryogenic slumber and let her do some administrative work and then back she goes into cryo sleep. She won't die for quite some time at that rate.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I haven't really had time to keep up with the buildup for this game and the initiative stuff, but have they revealed what the reason for this mass journey of species to Andromeda is? That new video posted a little bit ago mentioned the "last 20,000 humans" and now I'm really wondering what happened.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Content warning: this is really bad

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

https://www.masseffect.com/andromeda-initiative/training-hub/arks-and-nexus
Cool

I hope the Nexus gets blown up

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Agreed. RPGNexus must be destroyed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Oh wait, that's RPG Codex I'm thinking of. Ah well, whatever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If you ever think that people in this thread are insane and have crazy brains, well, A) You're right but B) RPG Codex is a website where people pick over screenshot of female characters in isometric CRPG's and say things like, "If you can't see the agenda here, you're blind" to each other in all seriousness, so y'know.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that slow gun grab is seriously bothering me

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If you grab a gun fast, you might get hurt.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They weren't ever going to end the franchise.

Ending the story and saying goodbye to all the characters was still fairly bold though I guess. I mean Andromeda's not out yet so Liara could still be a major character or something, but even advertising the game as "new story, new galaxy, no returning characters or locations" isn't exactly the safest move. Though from the pre-release material they don't seem to want to distance themselves from previous games completely anyway, which is disappointing.

According to Walters, the intention was to end the galaxy and leave it a wasteland.

Lt. Danger posted:

Content warning: this is really bad

Now I'm going to read it to see if I agree with you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

mother of god this thing has fifty parts

like, i'm all about writing a lot of words about stupid bullshit, but my god

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lmao loving Kai Leng apologists?!? His very presence in the game was loving offensive.

Made even worse in game by the expectations set early on when Anderson is like "Did you say Kai Leng? He's bad news Shepard, WORSE than a Reaper! "

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, it's really bad. The thing I was reading. But also Anderson's opinion on Kai Leng.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

According to Walters, the intention was to end the galaxy and leave it a wasteland.

Oh. That's kinda lame.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lmao loving Kai Leng apologists?!? His very presence in the game was loving offensive.

me3 apologists are the worst

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nice stock photo

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The thing about ME3 multiplayer I remember is that the credits you use to buy unlock crates were easily edited in cheatengine so I bought all of the things then I stopped playing.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
What's going on with the facial animations in this game? ME3 wasn't the benchmark for this kind of thing either but this has got to be a major troll...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What I find funny is people thinking ME1 was more of a RPG than ME2. It had more of the window dressing of an RPG, but it didn't actually work well and didn't affect the gameplay noticably.

You had more skills to click on, but 90% of the points you spent were just +1% to something or other, and you were pretty much always going to target the same abilities within each class, and you could easily level up all your important skills before you even went on the 2nd plot mission. What you did within the excel spreadsheet of skills didn't actually affect the gameplay significantly unless you just did random dumb stuff for no reason - it was the class selection at the start that gave you the variation.

Likewise with the loot, there was tons of it, but almost all of it was the same except for a pallet swap and +/- a few % depending on the manufacturer and level. There was just nothing to it and there was no functional gameplay variation within weapon types in spite of having 100 versions of each gun. And everything went in the trash once you could buy Spectre gear and Colossus/Predator X armor. There wasn't even "well I'm using X weapon for aesthetic/role play reasons" because they all looked basically the same and worked the same and just did slightly more or less damage.

In ME2 there are at least gear choices within the same category that actually function differently in the game. What you lost from ME1 to ME2 was almost entirely filler.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 was a very uneven game but it attempted to do something quite bold and actually end a franchise. But fans clamored for more alien sex and memes so now we're going to get the blandest most distilled form of that ever. Pre-order now and receive a catchphrase-loving AI companion aboard the Normandy.

Except that they were saying before the game came out that they wanted to continue the world of mass effect after shepard's story was finished. They wanted the franchise to continue. They were explicit about this, just as they were about "our game doesn't have just an A, B or C ending." Their ending was so cartoonishly bad they had to move to another galaxy to continue the series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Except that they were saying before the game came out that they wanted to continue the world of mass effect after shepard's story was finished. They wanted the franchise to continue. They were explicit about this, just as they were about "our game doesn't have just an A, B or C ending." Their ending was so cartoonishly bad they had to move to another galaxy to continue the series.

That doesn't necessarily mean a sequel, though. For example, Walters wrote a ton of ME comics post ME3's release and Bioware has continued making ME merch. But I also think it's pretty clear from everything that's been released that Andromeda was never in the cards prior to ME3 being released. While I have nothing to base it on, I do think ME:A is the result of EA sitting Bioware down and telling them to make Mass Effect 'a thing' again. The whole thing feels like an attempt to resuscitate the franchise while ensuring no one has to lose face.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

thorsilver posted:

Yeah, makes sense. I can see how years of anticipation coupled with a terrible ending would leave a sour taste.

If it's any consolation to anyone, it still seems like being a Mass Effect fan during those years was probably a drat sight better than being a Final Fantasy fan during the same period :v:

I actually already have ME2 and 3 on Origin, they were on sale like two years ago for something ridiculous like $5 each. I just never got round to playing them as shortly after that my life went to hell for a bit, then I got a bunch of new games after that and ME went deep into the backlog.

The DLC poo poo is a bit disheartening. Is there a handy list somewhere of what DLC is critical to the story?

Both games are excellent and if you liked ME1 you'll probably love 2 at the very least. They're worth playing to see, for certain. ME3 had a mixed reception because some people haaaaaaaate some of the big plot points, but it has indisputably the best combat gameplay of the series and has some of the best story moments too.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Moola posted:

me3 apologists are the worst

Wanting a good ending is so bourgeois, don't you know

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The answer isn't somewhere in the middle like some bullshit south park ending. Some people liked it, some people liked most of it but had some hangups, some people disliked most of it but found some redeemable features, and some people thought of it as a total dumpster fire. There is no single answer because there is no consensus. Like, you clearly hated just about everything but since I found it enjoyable, I could just as easily call you a troll, gimmick, or contrarian.

You're so determined to convince everyone that Mass Effect 3 was an unmitigated disaster and you won't stop posting about it and all I want to know is why go to these lengths? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I even would've pm'd you but you don't have plat so I'm asking here at risk of starting a derail.

ME3 was garbage.

I'm not convincing, I'm reminding.

There are dangerous people out there who, either because they are damaged or because they are more susceptible to the sands of time than most, would argue that ME3 wasn't bad or "it just had a bad ending but the rest of the game was fine." It wasn't. It was bad. It was bad from start to finish. It was bad enough to retroactively ruin two great games.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Both games are excellent and if you liked ME1 you'll probably love 2 at the very least. They're worth playing to see, for certain. ME3 had a mixed reception because some people haaaaaaaate some of the big plot points, but it has indisputably the best combat gameplay of the series and has some of the best story moments too.

And yeah, this, basically, thorsilver. ME1 was great for its time and is still fairly strong, albeit dated. ME2 might be Bioware's best game ever. ME3 refines ME2's gameplay and improves it across the board but the story starts weirdly (to say the least), never really finds its stride, and then collapses in a pool of its own vomit just as it reaches the finish line. But ME3 does have some good moments and the Citadel DLC is a fantastic love letter.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Android Blues posted:

To give a counter opinion, I think that ME1's the best game in the series, but that ME2 as a whole is bad. They removed all the RPG bits that I liked replaced it with mediocre shooter gameplay, went all in with 'humans are special' and it had no real overarching plot that drove the story, it was just a series of vignettes. The suicide mission was fantastic, but it didn't retroactively justify the rest of the game. ME3 was a mess in the story department, but at least the combat was genuinely fun and a massive improvement over ME2, and they brought some of the RPG bits back in.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Worse games than ME3 have been excused for having worse stories because the gameplay was enough to carry the game.

On its own merits, ME3 is an extremely good game because the gameplay is extremely good. It's just not a very good sequel to ME2.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CottonWolf posted:

To give a counter opinion, I think that ME1's the best game in the series, but that ME2 as a whole is bad. They removed all the RPG bits that I liked replaced it with mediocre shooter gameplay, went all in with 'humans are special' and it had no real overarching plot that drove the story, it was just a series of vignettes. The suicide mission was fantastic, but it didn't retroactively justify the rest of the game. ME3 was a mess in the story department, but at least the combat was genuinely fun and a massive improvement over ME2, and they brought some of the RPG bits back in.

This and the post it quotes are both good posts.

ME1 was incredible for its time and is still imho incredible but it is very dated. But when you remember the heavy lifting it was doing with respect to where the RPG was at the time and where it was tying to take it, its sins are forgivable.

ME2 was a really well done game. I had a lot of issues with the direction they took the gameplay and the story, but I can't say the game was bad. I can only say I disagreed with things while also acknowledging it was great. That is because the game was, for everything else it also was, coherent and focused and consistent.

ME3 was retarded. It opened terribly, it forgot why the universe was interesting throughout, the middle was ptsd dream sequences (wtf?!?) and Kai Leng, and then it ended with the worst and most ridiculous final act in AAA game history. People who have anything good to say about ME3 that isn't a highly qualified version of "The combat was better" or "in isolation, the genophage payoff was decent" are brain damaged.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

[ME3] was bad. It was bad from start to finish.

The Tuchunka / Genophage stuff in ME3 was as good as anything in the series, and was a pretty big part of the middle of the game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the beginning was so bad, worse than the endings imo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mymla posted:

Worse games than ME3 have been excused for having worse stories because the gameplay was enough to carry the game.

On its own merits, ME3 is an extremely good game because the gameplay is extremely good. It's just not a very good sequel to ME2.

Yes, I think this is pretty close to my own opinion. ME3's story certainly is a bit of a mess in places - the Rannoch plotline and the ending, mostly - but compared to the vast majority of other video game stories it's miles ahead still. It's also got some superb snippets of story like the genophage plotline, pretty much every interaction with Garrus, Javik, and lots of the incidental side-questy stuff like the asari commando in the Citadel psyche ward.

Also, it's ridiculously reactive to your carried over choices. The fact that there are actually replacement characters for Mordin and Wrex who are not just stand-ins, but change the outcome and even the basic premises of the genophage plot significantly, is astonishing and goes above and beyond in terms of making choices matter. The fact that Mordin can survive, but only if Wrex is dead and you convince him that the Krogan will continue to be a threat to the galaxy under Wreav's rulership is a spectacular detail that most players will never see.

Like, compare to what literally every other game with carry-over choices does in situations like this, i.e. just removes the relevant characters from the plot entirely so that they don't have to build content for two separate branches. See: how Mass Effect 2 handles Kaidan and Ashley. ME3 absolutely didn't have to go so far in making your decisions around Wrex and Mordin in ME1 and 2 matter as much as they do.

So, yeah, it's a flawed game, but it also does a bunch of stuff that the series had never done before and delivers on some of its core promises in a big way. I can't think of a single other game that handles carry-over choices from a previous title as intricately and interestingly as ME3 handles the genophage stuff. That in itself wins it points regardless of the wonkiness of some of the other plot stuff.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, if you really try it's possible to never mend the fence with the Virmire survivor and shoot them dead while they're protecting Udina on the Citadel, and it's not even a simple dialogue choice, it's also a series of taking renegade interrupts/not taking paragon interrupts. That's rad that that's in there when they could have easily just put you on the rails towards reconciliation.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The retroactive, rose-tinted re imagining of Mass Effect as some kind of trend setting, boundary pushing innovator, forging ahead to build a new future for RPGs is really hilarious when you think about how generic that game actually is in almost every area mechanically.

Android Blues posted:

Also, if you really try it's possible to never mend the fence with the Virmire survivor and shoot them dead while they're protecting Udina on the Citadel, and it's not even a simple dialogue choice, it's also a series of taking renegade interrupts/not taking paragon interrupts. That's rad that that's in there when they could have easily just put you on the rails towards reconciliation.

The stuff like that is really cool. One big thing in ME3's favor is that in a lot of cases it really does try to do the heavy choice and consequence lifting that Bioware generally shy away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The coolest permutations in ME3 come out of decisions that like, 5% of people probably ever willingly make. It's so backwards.