Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah now that I think about it ME1 was just another pretty generic big budget voice acted RPG with real time shooter combat set in its own fully fleshed out original IP and designed from the ground up to be the first in a series predicated on your choices carrying through. There must have been 6 or 7 other like it that came out that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

The coolest permutations in ME3 come out of decisions that like, 5% of people probably ever willingly make. It's so backwards.

This is true. It's kind of ironic that importing a "perfect" playthrough results in one of the most staid ME3 outcomes.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If people are playing through the Mass Effect series for the first time, don't let weird obsessive nerds convince you to not play the third game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Re: Kai Leng, any excuse to post this again.

Re: The Nexus and Arks

What bugs me a little about this is when I heard the original pitch for this game I thought the arks were going to be shoestring budget skunkworks desperation plays bashed together when it became clear the Reapers were a real threat. Remember how the Destiny Ascension was the biggest, baddest rear end ship in the entire galaxy and the entire Asari race only ever produced a single one of them? And now we have the Nexus coming in out of nowhere as maybe the most significant piece of construction undertaken outside of the Crucible in addition to massive individual race ark ships.

I can deal with it never being mentioned because they didn't know they were making another sequel in a different Galaxy, it just seems on the surface like ME:A is already making mistakes with the background detail and that doesn't bode well to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
[lmao, some kid sitting, weeping with joy as he clicks on a featureless rock and plays a QTE in order to collect a resource collection mini-game sidequest:] this is wildly original

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CottonWolf posted:

This is true. It's kind of ironic that importing a "perfect" playthrough results in one of the most staid ME3 outcomes.

I think the first two games are sort of to blame for making it so easy, comparatively speaking, to save as many people as possible, or to not offer compelling enough reasons NOT to save them. ME3 actually put a lot of thought into how situations would play out if certain characters were alive or dead and in many cases the "dead" status is way more interesting.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think the first two games are sort of to blame for making it so easy, comparatively speaking, to save as many people as possible, or to not offer compelling enough reasons NOT to save them. ME3 actually put a lot of thought into how situations would play out if certain characters were alive or dead and in many cases the "dead" status is way more interesting.

Without the existence of this forum, a lot more people would have gone into ME3 with multiple characters dead.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NmareBfly posted:

What bugs me a little about this is when I heard the original pitch for this game I thought the arks were going to be shoestring budget skunkworks desperation plays bashed together when it became clear the Reapers were a real threat. Remember how the Destiny Ascension was the biggest, baddest rear end ship in the entire galaxy and the entire Asari race only ever produced a single one of them? And now we have the Nexus coming in out of nowhere as maybe the most significant piece of construction undertaken outside of the Crucible in addition to massive individual race ark ships.

I can deal with it never being mentioned because they didn't know they were making another sequel in a different Galaxy, it just seems on the surface like ME:A is already making mistakes with the background detail and that doesn't bode well to me.

I'm willing to accept that maybe the council/private backers started a secret colonisation project after the end of ME1, given the attack on the citadel. At that point you're going to pour massive resources into it, as if you're going to bother building a massive colony ship, there's no point halfarsing it and having everyone die halfway there. I mean, I expect the justification for the project will be explained in game, but it's not prima facie unbelievable.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

NmareBfly posted:

Re: The Nexus and Arks

Yeah but *mac Walters voice from the left channel and Casey Hudson voice from the right* reaper tech

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

[lmao, some kid sitting, weeping with joy as he clicks on a featureless rock and plays a QTE in order to collect a resource collection mini-game sidequest:] this is wildly original

That kid got really upset in ME2 when there weren't three different lockpicking skills to allocate points into.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

The fact that it's possible to save everyone in the suicide mission is a design choice I do not understand to this day.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

aegof posted:

That kid got really upset in ME2 when there weren't three different lockpicking skills to allocate points into.

It's impossible to develop a fully realized character if you can't immediately identify him as having 12 in Assault Rifles and six more DPS on his gun than the other, identical gun.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

The fact that it's possible to save everyone in the suicide mission is a choice I do not understand to this day.

People literally got upset that the game 'tricked' them into killing off fan favourite characters like thane and jacob, so they would have lost their minds if it was actually impossible to keep them all alive.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CottonWolf posted:

I'm willing to accept that maybe the council/private backers started a secret colonisation project after the end of ME1, given the attack on the citadel. At that point you're going to pour massive resources into it, as if you're going to bother building a massive colony ship, there's no point halfarsing it and having everyone die halfway there. I mean, I expect the justification for the project will be explained in game, but it's not prima facie unbelievable.

I guess it's not that it's unbelievable, it's that it doesn't hit the tone I thought and wanted them to be going for. I guess it's my fault for making assumptions, but telling a story about a group of barely-together refugees fleeing a galactic apocalypse in the equivalent of life rafts just felt more compelling to me than this whole Nexus thing.

Also there's the fact that what we've seen of the project is the in-universe equivalent of propaganda films and maybe the actual thing is way shittier than they let on? We'll see I guess. I'm gonna play this either way because it's a sci-fi RPG, I'm just now more worried than I was.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CottonWolf posted:

The fact that it's possible to save everyone in the suicide mission is a design choice I do not understand to this day.

I don't necessarily object to the fact that it's possible to save everyone in ME2, but that the way most people survive is just "play more of the game." It'd be nicer if Bioware came down more definitively on all the loyalty missions so that you couldn't, for example, choose to spare Sidonis and gain Garrus' loyalty at the same time. Or spare that biotic dude and gain Jack's loyalty. Little things like that would have made the final balancing act a lot more difficult depending on your morality.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

To give a counter opinion, I think that ME1's the best game in the series, but that ME2 as a whole is bad. They removed all the RPG bits that I liked replaced it with mediocre shooter gameplay, went all in with 'humans are special' and it had no real overarching plot that drove the story, it was just a series of vignettes. The suicide mission was fantastic, but it didn't retroactively justify the rest of the game. ME3 was a mess in the story department, but at least the combat was genuinely fun and a massive improvement over ME2, and they brought some of the RPG bits back in.

I'd like to point out sean10mm's post on this very page which I think hits the nail on the head regarding the "traditional" (read: outdated turbonerd junk) RPG elements of ME1. What even IS an RPG man?

sean10mm posted:

What I find funny is people thinking ME1 was more of a RPG than ME2. It had more of the window dressing of an RPG, but it didn't actually work well and didn't affect the gameplay noticably.

You had more skills to click on, but 90% of the points you spent were just +1% to something or other, and you were pretty much always going to target the same abilities within each class, and you could easily level up all your important skills before you even went on the 2nd plot mission. What you did within the excel spreadsheet of skills didn't actually affect the gameplay significantly unless you just did random dumb stuff for no reason - it was the class selection at the start that gave you the variation.

Likewise with the loot, there was tons of it, but almost all of it was the same except for a pallet swap and +/- a few % depending on the manufacturer and level. There was just nothing to it and there was no functional gameplay variation within weapon types in spite of having 100 versions of each gun. And everything went in the trash once you could buy Spectre gear and Colossus/Predator X armor. There wasn't even "well I'm using X weapon for aesthetic/role play reasons" because they all looked basically the same and worked the same and just did slightly more or less damage.

In ME2 there are at least gear choices within the same category that actually function differently in the game. What you lost from ME1 to ME2 was almost entirely filler.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I don't think anyone on the council, or at Bioware, thought we would have to flee the galaxy until, oh, some time into ME3 so I'm not sure how the timeline works

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah but why would you send them to another galaxy on a, what, six-hundred year journey? Even if they get there, it's going to be about a thousand years before you know it has been successful.

More pressing is the fact that they will be travelling through dark space, the place where Shepard said the Reapers were occupying. If you accept that he was right about them existing and that Sovereign was one, so maybe we need a contingency, why would you risk sending that contingency into the beast's lair?

Why would you not put all those resources into building ships? Weapons? The Arks and the Nexus are kind of huge.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's almost as if the franchise should have probably ended in 2012 and everybody is out of ideas and has no initiative except to remake the entire first game over again with slightly different names for everything.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
How many RPGs had realtime shooter combat before ME1? RPGs had a lot of weird conventions and the ME games blew through a lot of them, maybe not all of them right away but that doesn't mean ME1 wasn't groundbreaking, jfc.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

While I really enjoyed the mass effect series, and I am sure I will really really enjoy this one, it's pretty telling how they had to move the series to the Andromeda galaxy because of ME3's awful ending. Literally almost killed the franchise for themselves.

Hopefully they at least parody Red Green Blue at some point in Andromeda.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's almost as if the franchise should have probably ended in 2012 and everybody is out of ideas and has no initiative except to remake the entire first game over again with slightly different names for everything.

You seem really upset about this game that we know very little about.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it really is difficult to overstate just how important ME1 was both to the RPG genre and to modern video games in general. You'd be hard pressed to find a modern big budget game with any sort of dialogue or roleplaying focus that doesn't take some inspiration from concepts introduced in Mass Effect.

Like, look at it in the context of its time. The big deal western RPGs that had been released recently before it were Neverwinter Nights 2, in 2006, and Jade Empire, in 2005. These were both essentially games on the Baldur's Gate model with some 3D graphics and voice-over slapped in, and neither of them were very good or managed to achieve success as anything other than niche titles. Before that it was Knights of the Old Republic II in 2004, now a cult hit, but at the time a massive, buggy mess that failed to live up to its predecessor's commercial success. Dragon Age: Origins wouldn't come along until 2009.

Mass Effect re-imagined the western RPG dramatically. Instead of playing a dirt farmer who slowly became a demi-god after their village was destroyed/spaceship was attacked, you were playing an accomplished military officer in command of a high-tech vessel, and the game actually honoured this premise. Instead of being a blank slate whose personality you imagined, Shepard had a voice, a history, and a specific background you customised before gameplay started.

Complex facial and model animation played a part in conversations and cutscenes - something we make fun of now when Bioware re-uses their old, canned stuff, but which was insane as a thing in an RPG at the time. Like, there's a scene in Mass Effect where you're approaching the Citadel, and Ashley and Shepard are peering out of the window to look at the Citadel fleet's flagship, and their bodies are actually leaning on stuff and their faces are emoting rather than them just being in ash_stand_1 hero_stand_1 while their lips wobble around to say dialogue. Now, this scene looks unremarkable and even a little dated. Back then, it was god drat wild.

There's so much other stuff too. But I think it is important to remember just how much of a ground breaker the first Mass Effect game was.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah but why would you send them to another galaxy on a, what, six-hundred year journey? Even if they get there, it's going to be about a thousand years before you know it has been successful.

More pressing is the fact that they will be travelling through dark space, the place where Shepard said the Reapers were occupying. If you accept that he was right about them existing and that Sovereign was one, so maybe we need a contingency, why would you risk sending that contingency into the beast's lair?

Why would you not put all those resources into building ships? Weapons? The Arks and the Nexus are kind of huge.

Because Bioware hosed up huge with ME3 and loving nuked their prize IP that they had spent years investing in and building and now they are scrambling to shoehorn in a new game with all their existing assets to appease EA and make the dollars. The development history of MEA so far is.........not promising.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

You seem really upset about this game that we know very little about.

The little we know is not promising.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There have been RPGs with real-time action and shooter mechanics since the 1980s.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The little we know is not promising.
Many people disagree. I do think the facial animations are a problem, but the core gameplay seems very intact.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Re: Kai Leng, any excuse to post this again.

My gosh that's bad writing, it's so awkward. Are all the ME novels like that?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I haven't read them but by all accounts, most are serviceable sci-fi schlock, while Mass Effect: Deception (the one featured there) is a sort of fever dream reminiscent of the goofiest parts of the Star Wars EU that blatantly ignores canon, features many ridiculous incidents, and is written like that throughout.

In fact, that's probably one of the better passages, style-wise. It's really grim stuff.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

psyman posted:

I'd like to point out sean10mm's post on this very page which I think hits the nail on the head regarding the "traditional" (read: outdated turbonerd junk) RPG elements of ME1. What even IS an RPG man?

I mean ultimately it represented the deemphasising of the statistical aspects of ME and replacing them with a shooter system which I didn't think was particularly well implemented, and in order to do that, they removed a lot of interesting lore stuff (heat sinks, real weapon modding, real changes to the practical logic of biotics, addition of global cooldowns), which I think hurt the game. It changed it from a "pure" RPG in the traditional CRPG tradition to more of an action RPG, and like it or not, it was a fundamental change to the underlying game. I'm not going to defend the 3 lockpicking skills or anything, but it's more than just positive streamlining.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I don't think anyone on the council, or at Bioware, thought we would have to flee the galaxy until, oh, some time into ME3 so I'm not sure how the timeline works

Yeah, but people certainly realised that poo poo was up. Cerberus start all their projects, it's not insane to think that other people thought there was a threat worth worrying about.

Milky Moor posted:

Again depends on who's running the project, whether it's private financiers or the government.

I mean, I'm perfectly willing to accept that there's a high chance that the story in ME:A will also be an illogical mess, but I've not seen anything yet that confirms that. I'm definitely not going to preorder the game, but I'm reasonably positive it'll have a warm reception, and if it does, I'll buy it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The core gameplay seems very intact.

Minimum standard for a sequel achieved, I guess?

And to build on what Android Blues said, there was also a ton of variety. You had your humans, sure, but all the various aliens were kind of astounding. Sure, half of them didn't move or do anything except stand there and talk, but coming off KOTOR where the aliens had maybe two sound files that looped endlessly (that you are definitely hearing in your head as I say that) and were all your typical Star Wars fare, well...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Were global cooldowns a lore aspect.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Minimum standard for a sequel achieved, I guess?

And to build on what Android Blues said, there was also a ton of variety. You had your humans, sure, but all the various aliens were kind of astounding. Sure, half of them didn't move or do anything except stand there and talk, but coming off KOTOR where the aliens had maybe two sound files that looped endlessly (that you are definitely hearing in your head as I say that) and were all your typical Star Wars fare, well...
Just having full VO for every character including the player character was a big advancement in RPG storytelling. ME was really a level beyond previous RPGs in spectacle and production value.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Pattonesque posted:

There is no consensus opinion on ME3

There absolutely is a consensus opinion on ME3, and the consensus is the ending is god awful. This is a game with an ending so bad wikipedia has an entry on how bad it is. This is a game with an ending so bad it's ending being bad is a meme. This is a game with an ending so bad that in the weeks following the game's release the loving bean counters at EA paid money to patch the game for a reworked ending in a desperate attempt to stop the non-stop flood of criticism (they failed).

Like if some one is reading this who hasn't played the game and is wondering "can it really be that bad?" I'm telling you Mass Effect 3 is a game where the "unlock-able good ending" involves you putting glowing green circuit boards on everyone in the galaxy followed by your ship's pilot crash landing the ship in a metaphorical Eden and then going off to gently caress his real doll.

There are people out there who will defend ME3's ending. There are also people out there who will defend literally eating poo poo.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

psyman posted:

Android Blues posted:

I haven't read them but by all accounts, most are serviceable sci-fi schlock, while Mass Effect: Deception (the one featured there) is a sort of fever dream reminiscent of the goofiest parts of the Star Wars EU that blatantly ignores canon, features many ridiculous incidents, and is written like that throughout.

In fact, that's probably one of the better passages, style-wise. It's really grim stuff.

Yeah Mass Effect: Deception was the ME3 of books. Or maybe ME3 was the Mass Effect: Deception of RPGs.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Having full VO was always a sideways step/balancing act and game dialogue sytems and dialogue in general would probably be better if game developers had ever understood that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

psyman posted:

The others aren't great and really struggle to hit good or average. But Deception is by far the worst.

Overall, they are not worth reading.

CottonWolf posted:

I mean ultimately it represented the deemphasising of the statistical aspects of ME and replacing them with a shooter system which I didn't think was particularly well implemented, and in order to do that, they removed a lot of interesting lore stuff (heat sinks, real weapon modding, real changes to the practical logic of biotics, addition of global cooldowns), which I think hurt the game. It changed it from a "pure" RPG in the traditional CRPG tradition to more of an action RPG, and like it or not, it was a fundamental change to the underlying game. I'm not going to defend the 3 lockpicking skills or anything, but it's more than just positive streamlining.

I kind of agree with this. I do think that ME2 did make the gameplay much more fun but ME1 has this amazing sense of being in the future and felt very consistent about its rules. ME2 started making biotics into space magic as opposed to limited gravity stuff where the two most amazing things were warp and barrier.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dan Didio posted:

Were global cooldowns a lore aspect.

I'm pretty sure in the fiction that there were almost no cooldowns. And certainly not global ones. There's no reason someone who specialises in tech and biotics, can't use a tech skill directly after a biotic skills. It's a weird addition for balance.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

There have been RPGs with real-time action and shooter mechanics since the 1980s.
But I'm not going to name any until someone calls me out so I can look smug by knowing more about video games than them :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Biotics is latin for space magic.