Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My Skitarii box arrived!

I didn't realize how much bigger the Dominus is than regular infantry. He's more or less double the size of the rangers. He's also going to take an AGE to paint. I gave him the popehat because he is the most important, and therefore, gets the biggest hat.

Saving the Onager till the end, that's my treat for getting the troops done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

This is looking good! If you want to go dirtier, go dirtier, but so far this is a definite improvement. It wouldn't hurt to weather the tracks a little more too, since those would see a lot of dirt and mud.

I guess I could try that as well., even if that's after another run over of Agrax Earthshade over them. Mostly because I managed to spill a whole bunch of it on the cover and went for a mad scramble to use some of it before it dried up.
It did teach me that I probably should work on trying recess shading at some point later.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
@Proletariat Beowulf

Not sure if you got my email with contact info. So posting up here. I am running late. Probably be there closer to 11:30.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Has anyone here ever ordered from Doc's Discount Game Store? I've been getting my shipments of GSC stuff one box at a time, but I've really been awaiting Deathwatch: Overkill, and passed up quite a few opportunities to snag them for around $120 ($128 from Doc).

I haven't gotten any responses since I asked for an ETA on DWOK. I fukken ordered everything on Sept. 30th and still haven't gotten the board game; should I just contact PayPal to start fraud/refund proceedings?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Uroboros posted:

If all your Chaos Marines get FnP doesn't that kill the incentive take plague marines?

About to drive a couple hours to an 1850 tourney, taking a drop pod CAD, nothing broken but no a pushover list headed by Tiggy. Wish me luck, will share pics.

T5 is a big draw, especially when fighting S4T4 MEQ/weapons, no?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

OhDearGodNo posted:

T5 is a big draw, especially when fighting S4T4 MEQ/weapons, no?

Well that's the thing, Mark of Nurgle is +1T. Plague Marines have it already but CSMs can take it. The other DG changes give basic CSM Troops the exact stats of a Plague Marine, except they have a poisoned weapon and the option to take two special weapon in an MSU. It's a big price for little benefit if the rumors are true.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dont plague marines get Feel no pain?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hihohe posted:

Dont plague marines get Feel no pain?

Right, that's the point. Plague Marines have +1T, FNP, Fearless, Poisoned CCW, -1I, Blight grenades, and different weapon options.

Death Guard CSM get Fearless, FNP, Relentless, and -1I. If they have the option to buy a Mark of Nurgle the difference between Plague Marines and DG CSM are Poison CCW, defensive grenades, and special weapons vs. Relentless, which is a pretty awesome option.

Going by current costs 16pts for T5 DG CSM beat 24pt PMs by a mile.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 3, 2016

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Its time to settle things like real men.

PierreTheMime posted:

Right, that's the point. Plague Marines have +1T, FNP, Fearless, Poisoned CCW, -1I, Blight grenades, and different weapon options.

Death Guard CSM get Fearless, FNP, Relentless, and -1I. If they have the option to buy a Mark of Nurgle the difference between Plague Marines and DG CSM are Poison CCW, defensive grenades, and special weapons vs. Relentless, which is a pretty awesome option.

Plague Marines get relentless too (all models in the detachment get it if they have votlw)

But generally there is no reason to take cult troops anymore. For world eaters a berserker costs 4 points more than a CSM for +1 WS, but CSM can take special weapons which the berserkers can't take.

Unless there is a formation (like the EC one that gives sonic weaponry split fire and shred) leave the cult troops at home/use them to represent chosen (which aren't as bad anymore)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OhDearGodNo posted:

That's a Custodes guardian spear he's holding.

Yeah I know its not a Nemesis weapon but i'm just saying the aesthetic there starts to kinda look grey knights.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

My Skitarii box arrived!

I didn't realize how much bigger the Dominus is than regular infantry. He's more or less double the size of the rangers. He's also going to take an AGE to paint. I gave him the popehat because he is the most important, and therefore, gets the biggest hat.

Saving the Onager till the end, that's my treat for getting the troops done.

The Dominus is a pretty cool sculpt with some nice motion and weight to it. Its kinda complex, but he's mostly mechanical parts. You can get really far just painting silver and gold or brass on his various innards and cabling, and then just kinda wash it. The only part that should really be hard or time consuming to paint is the cape, and maybe the vials of liquids if you wanna make them look real good.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Does anyone have any information on if the other chaos legions will have thematic cultists and the such like Tzaangors (can't recall the spelling) to use?

I'm itching to continue my beastmen project and need an excuse to finish painting my Ghorgon knight.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The Dominus is a pretty cool sculpt with some nice motion and weight to it. Its kinda complex, but he's mostly mechanical parts. You can get really far just painting silver and gold or brass on his various innards and cabling, and then just kinda wash it. The only part that should really be hard or time consuming to paint is the cape, and maybe the vials of liquids if you wanna make them look real good.

Yeah, all the metal parts on the Dominus, Skitarii and Onager are just gonna get painted silver, nuln oil washed, and drybrushed silver again. Pick out a few details in brass and gold.

And I'm still bitter that they only put one of each special weapon in here. The unit can take three! Give me three of each!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
At least the Skitarii have multiple good weapon options, so if you get three boxes you can have three units with the right weapons.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Does anyone have any information on if the other chaos legions will have thematic cultists and the such like Tzaangors (can't recall the spelling) to use?

I'm itching to continue my beastmen project and need an excuse to finish painting my Ghorgon knight.

I don't think there are any models being released with it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Unlikely to Not Happening. Tzaangors were a special case. The sculpts already existed for The Silver Tower so they were going to be released as an AoS unit when someone had the idea of tossing in a small chainsword and autopistol sprue and increase the size of the market for them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

At least the Skitarii have multiple good weapon options, so if you get three boxes you can have three units with the right weapons.

It's alright, I've cleared it with my group that I can just say the other special weapons are all just X, since I'm not mixing them in units, just running 3 of a single weapon in a squad.

Probably Plasma Calivers right now, since I'm running the Dominus Maniple, and all those rerolls make Gets Hot far less scary.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Calivers are pretty sweet guns. The other awesome gun that's annoying you only get one of is the arquebus, which is great on some rangers. But yeah, if you're playing with friends then you can work something out, but its crazy GW puts you through this :(

I'm surprised they don't sell like little sprues with 5 of the same gun on them or something. (They do in a couple rare cases, like noise marine upgrade sprue, but eh) Nah just gotta buy more boxes of dudes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It's especially weird because GW famously hates the bitz market and would rather people only buy first party.

If I could get half a dozen calivers, I'd happily pay GW for them.

At least the Onager looks amazing, and the main gun seems like it'd be incredibly easy to magnetize.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 3, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

:swoon:

That is stunning and I'm stealing that idea, and doubling down on my decision to do a 40k Beastman army.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A first look at the Sanctus Reach pc game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgyYaeC_1Q

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Absolutely tip top day with Zark and JackMack and other dude whose real name I know but not his forums handle (soz)

2250 pt ZM game madness, and Heralds of Ruin. Great fun!!!

And yes, I broke at 13.27 and bought a Raven guard transfer sheet. I am a bad person.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just saw from an unboxing video that Magnus is only 650 pts. That seems ... a little low for his stats.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

Lord Twisted posted:

Absolutely tip top day with Zark and JackMack and other dude whose real name I know but not his forums handle (soz)

2250 pt ZM game madness, and Heralds of Ruin. Great fun!!!

And yes, I broke at 13.27 and bought a Raven guard transfer sheet. I am a bad person.

Hi, don't worry about it, SRM did the same thing. I should probably post more. But yeah it was a great day! Zone Mortalis still confirmed to be a great way to slam hams, and Heralds of Ruin is great except for the injury rules. Never use them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Technowolf posted:

Just saw from an unboxing video that Magnus is only 650 pts. That seems ... a little low for his stats.

The biggest downside to him is his power set--He knows all of the Tzeentch and Change Powers, plus Gaze of Magnus, but you can't give him Telepathy or Summoning or anything. He's good, but he's not gonna break the game, even at 650 points. And he's only a FMC, not a GMC.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
The Black Legion rules are somewhat disappointing, but they are still my favorite legion. Here's hoping for some better models - if I'm going to lose, I want a cool-looking army whilst I'm doing it.

Maybe GW will release a similar book for ork clans...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kilazar posted:

So I got my hobby desk cleaned up and my spray booth deployed. Decided to take a shot at some pics with my dslr of my freshly finished Breechers.

https://goo.gl/photos/uRUXxkCnwFS5YAHZ9

If my metering is 0 then my pics are too dark. If my metering is filled all to the right my pics have enough light but are just washed out. Filled halfway right is a happy medium. I just cant tell if my issue is light. I am useing an Ottelite task lamp and to me these things are lit to the high heavens.

I am loosley following this guide http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/tutorial-beginners-guide-to-miniature.html?m=1#more

But I think the nikon vs canon difference is screwing me. As when I use his fstop and iso then balance apeture till metering is 0 in the guide, I get the darkest pics of the lot in the above library.

For anyone that might want to take a stab at helping me below is my cam and lense.

Nikon d5200
Lense AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G
Shooting in Manaul. Tried Apeture priority mode as well.

Is it possibly my lense? I am shooting at 18 and manually focusing.

Probably a better post for the painting thread, but it's a combination of your light setup and your background. A single lamp for good macro photography doesn't work in my experience. I use x3 150watt lamps. Two on the sides angled down going through a the sides of my light-box and one which I bounce against the top. I experimented a lot and this was the best setup for my painting. I also tried different background colors and got different results despite keeping my settings the same. I found a good rule of thumb is to use lots of indirect lighting with long exposure times. A tripod is a must.

All these are shot with the same settings. First I tried white, but it washed out my models:

Then I tried blue, which was better, but still wasn't like my models look in real life:

Then I tried black, which was the best of the three, but I had to pump up my exposure time to compensate for the deep shadows and this ended washing out the tops of the models:

This is what I settled on: a black backdrop, but the models stand on a black piece of frosted glass. The glass bounces enough light up that you can see the shadows, but I don't have to over expose the models to achieve the effect:

Then I import the files into PSD and adjust the settings a bit to get the result closer to how things look in-person:

A few of the results:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 3, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TheChirurgeon posted:

The biggest downside to him is his power set--He knows all of the Tzeentch and Change Powers, plus Gaze of Magnus, but you can't give him Telepathy or Summoning or anything. He's good, but he's not gonna break the game, even at 650 points. And he's only a FMC, not a GMC.

I absolutely can't wait for my Cullexuses to bully him around the board.

Nor can I wait for them to jump into the middle of a bunch of TS units and have their Animus Speculums go into overdrive.

Expect a lot of them + SoS running around the meta I'd bet.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dang

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

not lame! posted:

The Black Legion rules are somewhat disappointing, but they are still my favorite legion. Here's hoping for some better models - if I'm going to lose, I want a cool-looking army whilst I'm doing it.

Maybe GW will release a similar book for ork clans...

Really? They still have their custom formations and I think the Speartip Detachment is really solid--getting reserves on turn 1 and an auto-pass on the deep strike reserves rule for your HQ + his unit if they have Deep Strike is a very, very strong benefit.

SteelMentor posted:

I absolutely can't wait for my Cullexuses to bully him around the board.

Nor can I wait for them to jump into the middle of a bunch of TS units and have their Animus Speculums go into overdrive.

Expect a lot of them + SoS running around the meta I'd bet.

He has Eternal Warrior so the Instant Death from the Culexus won't matter much, and he auto-harnesses WC on a 2+, so according to the current FAQs, that will just cancel with the Culexus' ability, putting him back at 4+ with no chance of Perils. He'll lose his 5 WC, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Improves his odds of actually seeing table play though :v:

Technowolf posted:

A first look at the Sanctus Reach pc game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgyYaeC_1Q

The teaser trailer made me think this was a suped up version of the chess 40k game, but this looks closer to something like x-com, its ALMOST a 40k PC game.

The graphics are rough but its not done yet, hopefully it ends up pretty good.

I'm looking forward to Deathwing coming out soon :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2016

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

This just underscores that all Death Guard are Plague Marines, but not all Plague Marines are Death Guard. In your DG army, Death Guard replace Chosen, and their big upside, in addition to the extra gear, is 2x special weapons in a 5-man squad, plus their formation bonus. Marked CSMs are still the poo poo, but it's not completely insane to take a squad of plague marines.

e: also, Plague marines come with a knife, pistol, and bolter so you don't have to pay +1 ppm to get the extra attack in Close Combat, or choose between the CCW and Bolter options

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Thanks for the info. That should help me with playing around on my setup.

Had a great game angainst Proletariat Beowulf's Necrons. My hammerhead finaly has a kill, and my Crisis unit won two CC rounds by one wound. Poor Beowulf's killing dice rolls were not kind. But his 5+ reanimation rolls more than made up for the wiffs heh.

We had to call it short, I still had a path to victory, but I think he would have won in the end unless everything went my way on the next round.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 4, 2016

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
Why isn't the Ta'unar a superheavy vehicle? What makes it less a vehicle than a Warhound? Could say the same thing about the Stormsurge. They're not really suits of armor anymore.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Got another box of terminators and a dreadknight today while listening to the nerds painting their 1k sons make awful jokes. Thanks again for the input Goons.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Aesaar posted:

Why isn't the Ta'unar a superheavy vehicle? What makes it less a vehicle than a Warhound? Could say the same thing about the Stormsurge. They're not really suits of armor anymore.

Because garg creatures are flat out better ruleswise (IWND as standard, doesn't have a damage chart, etc.) than superheavy walkers and FW/GW want to sell more units of the new hotness.

The real answer is 'because Crisis suits are just infantry so bigger suits can't be vehicles' and 40k doesn't really have a good separation of concept between different types of 'giant crewed vehicle'. e.g. why is an SM Dreadnought (an ancient warrior sealed inside a sarcophagus keeping them alive) treated differently to a Dreadknight (a GK terminator stapled to an exo frame) and a Wraithlord (fluffwise literally a vehicle 'crewed' by the spirit of a dead Eldar).

The difference between walkers and monstrous creatures is something I've argued/debated with a housemate several times.

He plays 'nids and thinks Walkers are stronger because they can't be hurt by lasguns. My counter claim is that MC's are harder to 'glance' to death as they usually have good saves, plus they can't be one-shot by lucky lascannon shots or have bits fall off them due to a damage table.

TBH my actual option is that all Walkers should become MCs, however a bunch of the MC special rules need taking off and only doling out to specific ones, e.g. Smash and Fear.

---

In other news, hamslam was great, good seeing you guys at WHW again! Will definitely have to arrange another one in the future, say around March?

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 4, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zaphod42 posted:

The teaser trailer made me think this was a suped up version of the chess 40k game, but this looks closer to something like x-com, its ALMOST a 40k PC game.

The graphics are rough but its not done yet, hopefully it ends up pretty good.

I'm looking forward to Deathwing coming out soon :)

It looks like a remake of Chaos Gate, which is great!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Zark the Damned posted:

In other news, hamslam was great, good seeing you guys at WHW again! Will definitely have to arrange another one in the future, say around March?

See March I will have poo poo painted by.

How did playing Zone Mortalis go?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ijyt posted:

:swoon:

That is stunning and I'm stealing that idea, and doubling down on my decision to do a 40k Beastman army.

Thanks- he's been in that state for a few months unfortunately. My main holdup right now is finding a suitable way to make an ammo belt for the Gatling gun. I have one with green stuff+sanded tips of toothpicks, but it just doesn't completely work.

If you can help me figure how to fit Catachan arms I'd be most grateful. I'm going to use those arms and sluggas, and finish it in such a way that it can be used with an ork or the IA 13 ruleset.

This is the best two handed gun I could think of- Kroot rifles were my top choice, but the hands are part of the weapon.

I really like the idea of gen being more like orks than renegades (given a lack of current beastmen rules) however in 7e meta I'd need lots of bikes and I haven't thought of a good proxy yet.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

13 more minutes of Deathwing gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ijUKQK14s

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Zark the Damned posted:

Because garg creatures are flat out better ruleswise (IWND as standard, doesn't have a damage chart, etc.) than superheavy walkers and FW/GW want to sell more units of the new hotness.

The real answer is 'because Crisis suits are just infantry so bigger suits can't be vehicles' and 40k doesn't really have a good separation of concept between different types of 'giant crewed vehicle'. e.g. why is an SM Dreadnought (an ancient warrior sealed inside a sarcophagus keeping them alive) treated differently to a Dreadknight (a GK terminator stapled to an exo frame) and a Wraithlord (fluffwise literally a vehicle 'crewed' by the spirit of a dead Eldar).

The difference between walkers and monstrous creatures is something I've argued/debated with a housemate several times.

He plays 'nids and thinks Walkers are stronger because they can't be hurt by lasguns. My counter claim is that MC's are harder to 'glance' to death as they usually have good saves, plus they can't be one-shot by lucky lascannon shots or have bits fall off them due to a damage table.

TBH my actual option is that all Walkers should become MCs, however a bunch of the MC special rules need taking off and only doling out to specific ones, e.g. Smash and Fear.

Not to mention immunity to poo poo like Haywire.

I wouldn't mind if Monstrous/Gargantuan Creatures got a damage table. Makes no sense that I can shoot the guns off a Knight but not off a Riptide or a Wraithknight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Has anyone here ever ordered from Doc's Discount Game Store? I've been getting my shipments of GSC stuff one box at a time, but I've really been awaiting Deathwatch: Overkill, and passed up quite a few opportunities to snag them for around $120 ($128 from Doc).

I haven't gotten any responses since I asked for an ETA on DWOK. I fukken ordered everything on Sept. 30th and still haven't gotten the board game; should I just contact PayPal to start fraud/refund proceedings?

They sometimes ship items one at a time if they know there's going to be a wait for certain items of if there's a backorder or anything.

Unfortunate you haven't gotten Overkill yet, but chances are it's back ordered as well. I've never had issues getting a hold of them, so that sucks to hear. They've usually responded really quick to give estimates, updates, etc. Try through their Facebook page as well?

• Locked thread