Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hypnotizing.

Just beat Yakuza 4 and well that was really stupid. No need to elaborate, just all of it. I did enjoy the OTT shirt-ripping, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
The Goro Majima figma is now up for pre-order. :woop: :woop: And of course because I have more money than sense I had to go and get one. I wonder if it will be as delayed as the Kazuma one currently is though.

Foam Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 1, 2016

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Anyone else still playing Y5 or the previous ones or everyone already sold their old PS3 consoles?

I'm still working on 100% the game and I'm amazed with the amount of content I didn't notice during my normal playthrough (I'm playing Premium Adventure right now). There's even "secret" stuff outside of the completion lists like dating the Cho-Han dealer or the breakthrough fights with Komaki and his grandson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j881ssSmfo). Some stuff is repetitive and annoying but I'm still having fun doing a completion run of the game. Really makes you appreciate the effort they had in making the game as rich and diverse as possible, even when the execution of some stuff is poor.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Before I finally retire my trusty old fat ps3 I've been working through Y4 & 5. I'm not sure how I feel about the multiple characters. It works pretty well narratively with each character revealing their own pieces of the puzzle but it sort of makes me feel like I have to rush through the side missions as soon as they come up. And since you never spend all that long with a character I ended up not doing a lot of the ambient crap like fishing and golf and eating all the food and playing darts etc.

I'm on 5 now and played some of chapter 3 and man, I kind of don't like this Haruka stuff. I think I prefer being ignorant of the weird, skeevy, hyper competitive world of Japanese idols. The rhythm game stuff is sort of simplistic fun I guess :shrug:.

Also I hope it turns out Kiryu had a better reason for abandoning the orphanage than trying to hide his/Haruka's past in the age of the internet. Especially since literally every important character (and several people in the side missions) in the first chapter instantly know who he is. Creepy stalkers are gonna bust that poo poo wide open in about a week.

Looking at the character names it looks like the cop dude from 4 isn't in this one? That's a bummer, he was probably my favourite to play in 4. He got heat moves at the end of combos, an over powered parry and slightly more complicated grappling. Saejima was more fun to use in this one at least. I didn't really like playing as him at all in 4. The moves that work off bounces seem to be much more reliable to pull off in this one but that might just be me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, you think the y5 version of the idol industry is weird and skeevy? lol

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I just played a game of erotic(?) air hockey where I had to stare at another idols tits so I could do my super move. It was pretty weird imo. Isn't Haruka like 15 or something?

It isn't like I am outraged or anything but it seems like an odd thing to put into your game about burly Japanese dudes punching burning justice into each other. To be fair I also think the same about all the hostess stuff too. Surely Kiryu could pick up chicks without paying for them?

Japan is weird.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the yakuza series simplifies and whitewashes everything it covers. that's not necessarily a bad thing, as not everything has to be true to life and deadly serious.

the real idol industry mostly exists so real yakuza have a steady supply of underage girls, which is an open secret. the y5 version is amusing because it is still all mobbed up, but the gangsters run their agencies completely legit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the yakuza series simplifies and whitewashes everything it covers. that's not necessarily a bad thing, as not everything has to be true to life and deadly serious.

the real idol industry mostly exists so real yakuza have a steady supply of underage girls, which is an open secret. the y5 version is amusing because it is still all mobbed up, but the gangsters run their agencies completely legit.
Well, they do mention "pillow work" as a thing that happens, though I guess none of the characters have actually done it.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Kuno posted:

Before I finally retire my trusty old fat ps3 I've been working through Y4 & 5. I'm not sure how I feel about the multiple characters. It works pretty well narratively with each character revealing their own pieces of the puzzle but it sort of makes me feel like I have to rush through the side missions as soon as they come up. And since you never spend all that long with a character I ended up not doing a lot of the ambient crap like fishing and golf and eating all the food and playing darts etc.

I'm on 5 now and played some of chapter 3 and man, I kind of don't like this Haruka stuff. I think I prefer being ignorant of the weird, skeevy, hyper competitive world of Japanese idols. The rhythm game stuff is sort of simplistic fun I guess :shrug:.

Also I hope it turns out Kiryu had a better reason for abandoning the orphanage than trying to hide his/Haruka's past in the age of the internet. Especially since literally every important character (and several people in the side missions) in the first chapter instantly know who he is. Creepy stalkers are gonna bust that poo poo wide open in about a week.

Looking at the character names it looks like the cop dude from 4 isn't in this one? That's a bummer, he was probably my favourite to play in 4. He got heat moves at the end of combos, an over powered parry and slightly more complicated grappling. Saejima was more fun to use in this one at least. I didn't really like playing as him at all in 4. The moves that work off bounces seem to be much more reliable to pull off in this one but that might just be me.

He makes it clear that for his involving in the Yakuza politics that he will hold himself liable like Saejima did to avoid looking like he is washing his hands of the matter so he can get formally removed from the group, sure Akiyama has money and Shinada is basically a nobody but Saejima and Kiryu have both willing participated in the gang war and hold themselves liable for all the damage they done.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Currently playing Y5 and I'm having more fun with the taxi missions than anything in Y4. They're a great addition! The streamlined encounters were also extremely welcome.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
why am i raising chickens

why are they racing and not fighting

how can it always, always turn out weirder????

Also how the heck do you even get the sturdy weapons? I had to sacrifice the pipe to get some spear that cost like, 400K yen and I could have just kept the strong one tbh

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Another Yakuza live action series is being made.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Confession: I still haven't beaten Kiwami. I just started playing it again after months of not. Story-wise it's still very close to the original, which I have already played twice (and frankly it's full of a lot of pointless meandering in the first place), and frankly the Majima thing is getting tired since it's basically a random boss fight against the same boss over and over and over and over again. How they work his actual appearances in the story into the system is hamfisted as hell, too.

I'm pretty near the end so I am thinking I'll just finish it quickly and be done with it, but it bothers me that three games in a row were okay or less than okay, and all definitely worse than 4 or 5 I think.

I think I got a lot more out of it as someone who never managed to complete the original (kinda hard to go from playing only PS3 titles to go back to the clunky combat of the original). I definitely enjoyed it more than 0.

But I'm 100% with you on the Majima thing.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Not directly Yakuza-related, but still sad news for anyone who likes this kind of game: the developers of Sleeping Dogs are no more.

I tried to play this but the combat was insanely tedious so I never got very far.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Demo for 6 looks like it's coming out on the 29th of November. Good job I didn't preorder FF15!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Did Y0 get a Pro patch? I will get a PS4 Pro if Yazuka 6 uses it. I want to play that poo poo in 4k.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Just checked, doesn't look like it.

RGG6 is listed in Sony's PS Pro site as being enhanced but it doesn't say how. Hopefully the demo will make it all clear.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That's good though. Gives me time to upgrade before it gets localized.

I'm really hyped for 0 right now but 6 looks insane.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Playing the demo that came with Kiwami, the PS4 was definitely having trouble with all the extra effects and stuff they layered on top of it. Hopefully on the Pro it'll be more stable - not necessarily a guarantee based on some of the games that have been patched.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Today is your lucky day!" received in Yakuza 5 today.

*proceed to win nothing in pachinko and slots*

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

uiruki posted:

Playing the demo that came with Kiwami, the PS4 was definitely having trouble with all the extra effects and stuff they layered on top of it. Hopefully on the Pro it'll be more stable - not necessarily a guarantee based on some of the games that have been patched.

I never noticed.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Shinjobi posted:

"Today is your lucky day!" received in Yakuza 5 today.

*proceed to win nothing in pachinko and slots*

I feel like there's a deep lesson here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Been taking screenshots of Kiwami now that I'm in premium adventure mode and they are allowed. Even with my new PS4 Pro there's a crazy delay on screenshots I got some good or at least interesting ones.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Not Operator posted:

I feel like there's a deep lesson here.

:agreed:

When in doubt, gamble harder.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Now realising the game series really needs HEAT actions for mundane things too.

Press triangle to SLAM A loving TOKEN IN! Triangle for CRANE MACHINE GODHAND! Triangle for HANAFUDA? HANAFUCKYOU!

Is he fielding three rooks? Who is this guy!?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
New forging the Dragon out with a pretty hilarious and accurate criticism.

Seeing as I started on 3, I gotta ask, were the first two less, uhh, BRACKU MONDEIIIGGHH?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Finished Kiriyu's part in Y5. Dodging missiles like they're nothing special, like a boss. Awesome ending to his chapter.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The demo for RGG6 is out now! It's 30-odd gigs and needs 12.6 to start so I didn't get much of a chance to try it before work but I'm glad they walked back the Batman style combat.

To celebrate, the latest collaboration they've announced is with a baldness remedy shampoo!

But not in Nagoya - I guess someone really hated the Shinada section in 5.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

uiruki posted:

The demo for RGG6 is out now! It's 30-odd gigs and needs 12.6 to start so I didn't get much of a chance to try it before work but I'm glad they walked back the Batman style combat.
Oh? I hadn't heard about the combat since the first demo. What did they change?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh? I hadn't heard about the combat since the first demo. What did they change?

They basically made it like Ryu ga Gotoku again. Square and triangle combos, picking up items, that sort of stuff. Grab animations seem more elaborate though, and the "ultimate power" mode or whatever still seems to have that long punch chain though I didn't get that weird button mashing slow motion scene to trigger. I only went through one short fight though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played through the demo as far as you can go, it seems. There were no boss fights though, which is where we would really see if the combat system has undergone any significant improvement, because right now it seems to be completely traditional other than animations being more situation specific and the new ultimate beatdown mode.

A lot of the demo was cutscenes and stuff explaining the time gap between 5 and this and I realized drat it really has been like four years since a main line game.

edit: Kamuro has become a lot more modern; the new theater west of Millenium Tower looks a lot more like the real theater in Kabuki-cho now, but the graphics are still behind the curve for modern PS4 games (still no facial animations for NPCs what the hell) and 60fps would have been really nice.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 29, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I spent most of my time of the demo luring gangsters inside stores and leveling everything.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Pretty sure the demo is just the entire first hour of the game or so.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah I think I got as far as I'm supposed to go, my quest marker pointed me towards an inaccessible area.

Combat is really fun though. It seems you only start out with the basic combat move set, and you can't unlock any more, just upping your basic stats and getting swole with RIZAP until you're one-shotting every thug that gets in your way.

How many sub-stories did everyone find, btw? Spoiling the ones I found in case people want to find them themselves:
RIZAP, meeting Swole Soejima
chatting up camgirls
cat cafe
Meeting Haruka's fan. I couldn't actually complete this one, quest marker took me to a Club SEGA I couldn't actually enter

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I thought it was supposed to be a all of the first chapter?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updSVMy-EVs

YAKUZA KIWAMI IS COMING OVERSEAS

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

gently caress, I should have purchased a PS4 pro instead of some PC upgrades. drat it all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

YAKUZA 6 IS COMING TOO

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Gio Corsi is the real hero of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Policenaut posted:

YAKUZA 6 IS COMING TOO

There is a god.

• Locked thread