Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest lines were so drat good they deserved to be in a better game.

I'm still upset about that one dark brotherhood quest where you and a bunch of other people have to stay in an old house for some inheritance or something. It has the coolest setup where everyone tries to see who can trust who while you lure people into being alone so you can kill them and when bodies start showing up it's this cool murder mystery where you're the killer in their midst, gaining their trust and turning them against one another while you take them out one by one.

Oh nevermind the whole loving quest is broken and all the NPCs have 1 hp and die if you hit them with anything and it doesn't matter in the slightest if you just walk in the room and immediately stab everyone in broad daylight. It effects nothing and isn't acknowledged. I haven't seen a game drop the ball that hard in a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Been playing a lot of Titanfall 2 lately and the campaign is probably one of the best singleplayer experiences of the last few years. It's hard to single out the little things - it's like they all flow together and make everything really loving good, but I guess the main thing I liked is the relationship between you, pilot Jack Cooper, and your titan, BT. In the beginning BT just lost his long time pilot and is really distant. By the end you're best fuckin bros and I was legitimately sad when he sacrifices himself. "Trust me." *flings you 500 meters into the air to save your life* :smith:

The multiplayer is out of this loving world too, wallrunning and using your grapple like some demented loving future spiderman is so much fun and it blows all the other "exosuit" games like black ops etc out of the water.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest lines were so drat good they deserved to be in a better game.

The first part of the DB questline is fun. The last half is dumb as poo poo. You're railroaded into being a dumbass motherfucker falling for a glaringly obvious trick, unable to do a single smart thing about it. The tone, paper, handwriting and style of locations of your dead drop change completely, although to be fair IIRC you're no longer picking up your murder orders from a sack literally in the middle of a city. You can walk up to one of your fellow murderers you're duped into killing and go 'I, a murderboy, will kill you in the name of the murdergod,' and they will say 'ah ha, you are the traitor, now I will kill you,' and then you just kill them despite them very obviously being part of the guild you are loyal to and that not being mentioned to you at all. No, you can't do anything about it. At the end of this cluster of idiocy the night mother goes 'well I knew all along, but gently caress these people I wanted to test them,' and you know what, she's right, gently caress those people.

Then you can get like 200 gold an in-game week if you do some busywork.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I've logged over 24 hours in Saints Row IV and I only just now noticed the shark with a pimp hat and gold teeth.

Every so often I start to think "well the city's not as good as SR2 or San Andreas", etc., then it throws something like that at me. I'm not sure it's the best sandbox game but it is the purest time waster of them all.

I think the best thing about Saints Row IV is that, because the world in-game is actually a simulation, they don't have to try to be realistic at all.

Well, that and it's Saints Row, so realism is questionable in the first place.

SRIV's Insurance Fraud is more fun than any of the previous ones, mostly because of the superpowers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Saints Row, there's the regular Space Outfit which is a jumpsuit your character wears. There's a variant called Sexy Space Outfit which is completely identical except for being slightly unzipped. :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Skyrim had a great third option for the Dark Brotherhood questline. Have to kill one of the three people? Nope, I'll kill the DB guy, run off to an Imperial dude, and single handedly wipe out the faction entirely.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

Skyrim had a great third option for the Dark Brotherhood questline. Have to kill one of the three people? Nope, I'll kill the DB guy, run off to an Imperial dude, and single handedly wipe out the faction entirely.

She says 'well done' when you do, so I always took it to mean that this was the 'correct' answer to her challenge.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well she does say nobody leaves that place without someone's death...

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Why would you turn down all the, sometimes unique, rewards for that questline, including a chance at one of the 24 stones of gently caress you, for like 1000 gold, though, especially when you have to express a tendency for murder to get that far anyway?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RagnarokAngel posted:

Good news! After seeing how much praise the Dark Brotherhood quest line got, its writer was promoted and got to write an entire game.

That game was Fallout 3.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlphaKretin posted:

Why would you turn down all the, sometimes unique, rewards for that questline, including a chance at one of the 24 stones of gently caress you, for like 1000 gold, though, especially when you have to express a tendency for murder to get that far anyway?

You get one of the stones at the raid

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Mann posted:

Good news! After seeing how much praise the Dark Brotherhood quest line got, its writer was promoted and got to write an entire game.

That game was Fallout 3.

I said a better game :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So my seasonal run of How the Saints Saved Christmas inevitably lead to a "quick" two hour binge of Saints Row 4, and I forgot how much fun the game was. There's just something very...earnest about its sense of humour and satire. Like, it's taking the piss out of gaming conventions and other media, but with a big dose of love attached so it feels like this stuff is in on the joke rather than the target of it. None of it comes across as mean spirited or foul in nature, and I love that.

I never got into GTA5 because it basically swore a lot and had satire that amounted to calling you a oval office for playing. Even without all the super powers, and the jokes that do fall a bit flat, Saints Row really went out on a high.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

Favors like translating the game?

By not making us learn metric

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

It's the Dark Brotherhood, and the only time I capital-m Murder someone is on accident.

E: vvv doesn't it trigger on any murder? The old lady is just the only one you don't get the murder bounty from.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Dec 3, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
To get kidnapped by the Brotherhood you need to murder an old woman in an orphanage...

MisterBibs posted:

E: vvv doesn't it trigger on any murder?

No, you're a murderer. Sorry about breaking your own rules.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Dec 3, 2016

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Quick thing in Pokemon Sun and Moon - outside the daycare there is a pretty long straight road perfect for charging around on tauros, on that road is a dancer who after you beat her, will tell you how trainers come by holding eggs and that she dances to cheer them on.
Also the perks you get for max befriending a pokemon are still great. During the professor battle my edgy werewolf got hit by a Z-move that she was weak too - held on with 1hp left so he wouldn't see me sad - and then her crunch hit a super-effective critical on the one pokemon that neither me or the rival chose (which was a pretty nice surprise in itself) because she wanted to be praised. :3:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I was just going through all my old PlayStation Share videos and I had forgotten just how satisfying igniting a flamethrower enemy's gas tank is in The Division:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Y-07Zo5EE

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm playing the new Deus Ex Mankind Divided and I love the writing. I mean, i'm only halfway through and i hear the plot eventually shits itself but the way they handle characterizations of random NPCs is really awesome. There are just a few "rawr i'm evil because i'm an evil npc because i'm evil" types, most of the "big bads" at the end of the sidequests are just regular people trying to make due in a really lovely situation. It's spectacular that after every confrontation, i'm like well I can see where your coming from yeah it sucks.

I liked that in order to beat the quest where your investigating a drug ring, you have to have a philosophical debate with the lead chemist over whether or not people have the right to do what they want to their bodies. I genuinely had to replay the conversation a few times because the first time i was like, well poo poo I agree with you go ahead and keep dealing drugs. Then i reloaded and was like, gently caress you i'm gonna blow up your poo poo. Then later I'm looking into a counterfeiting ring and it turns out the lead forger is a good Samaritan who just wants to help people but was kidnapped by a corrupt cop and forced to extort people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm liking the villains in Rise of the Tomb Raider - they recognise Lara's skill and want her on their side because of it, but are concerned enough about her that they are willing to kill her if things don't go well, and they have interesting reasons for pursuing what they are trying to find - one is Dying of a fatal anime cough and needs the immortality to not die early, and her partner is romantically attached to her and wants to help her to live. Of course he is also a massive crazy jesus freak obsessed with an immortal army and hallucinating stigmata, but he also will use that army to protect his partner from the bigger group hiring them both. When replying bear in mind I'm currently in them middle of rescuing Jonah, so no spoilers from during or after the second soviet base please.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They're brother and sister, for the record. ;)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

poptart_fairy posted:

They're brother and sister, for the record. ;)

Oh, didn't catch that, or just forgot. I may have thought they were referring to each other in the religious "Brother"/"Sister" kind of way instead of familial.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

It's the Dark Brotherhood, and the only time I capital-m Murder someone is on accident.

E: vvv doesn't it trigger on any murder? The old lady is just the only one you don't get the murder bounty from.

That's how it worked in Oblivion, the Dark Brotherhood first visited you after you actually for-real murdered someone who wasn't hostile to you (I remember in my first playthrough it was one of the guards in the Kvatch retaking I killed.by friedly fire). In Skyrim it's just a quest you can stumble on in one of the major cities.

The fact it's so straightforward instead of responding dynamically to how you play the game is part of the Brotherhood's story in the first place, actually. They've been rejecting their teachings and traditional structure in favor of modernizing, and because of that are losing their supernatural backing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

One thing I liked in Dishonoured was the 'magic words' when using the powers - i.e. 'Enhanced Eyes' for the vision detection powers. Damned if I can make out what's said for the other powers.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Samovar posted:

One thing I liked in Dishonoured was the 'magic words' when using the powers - i.e. 'Enhanced Eyes' for the vision detection powers. Damned if I can make out what's said for the other powers.

zooooom

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Samovar posted:

poo poo, I always heard "Darkness Dies". Because, y'know, you're seeing through the dark so it's not there any more - 'dead'? :downs:

I also didn't realise there were voice clips at all for other powers. Maybe I need to replay with headphones on. :aaa:

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

AlphaKretin posted:

poo poo, I always heard "Darkness Dies". Because, y'know, you're seeing through the dark so it's not there any more - 'dead'? :downs:

I also didn't realise there were voice clips at all for other powers. Maybe I need to replay with headphones on. :aaa:

Daud's Eyes. The vision is Daud's signature power, like Blink is Corvo's.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

I'm playing the new Deus Ex Mankind Divided and I love the writing. I mean, i'm only halfway through and i hear the plot eventually shits itself but the way they handle characterizations of random NPCs is really awesome. There are just a few "rawr i'm evil because i'm an evil npc because i'm evil" types, most of the "big bads" at the end of the sidequests are just regular people trying to make due in a really lovely situation. It's spectacular that after every confrontation, i'm like well I can see where your coming from yeah it sucks.

Yeah I picked this up on sale too and its been a fun Deus Ex game so far, but good god is the voice acting jarring. The obviously native speakers that do the one-line npcs are fine, but the rest just absolutely butcher the language or speak in a comical Boris Badenov Russian accent. Its so goddamn bad. I understand when your British boss or Jensen himself (some dude from Detroit) say "Ruh-zeeka," but when its a character that actually loving lives in Prague it just makes me cringe. You're being paid to say this poo poo, at the very least maybe spend like twelve loving seconds on youtube to double check you're saying "Prague" correctly before you hop into the recording booth.

Moving on to a thing I actually liked: this is the first video game I've ever played where I actually felt bad about indiscriminately breaking into people's homes and looting them dry. Everyone is so miserable and the only loot they've ever got is cabinets full of booze. I mean, I still take it, but they've only got that one escape from misery and I'm taking it away to help pay for my Praxis habit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BioEnchanted posted:

Project Eden -

drat, there's a game I've not thought about in a long time :stare:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

drat, there's a game I've not thought about in a long time :stare:
Same, drat. I wonder if there's a good LP of it?

Anyway, just wanna talk more about how good Prototype 1 was; the Web of Intrigue was a really good way of adding depth to the story that tied into game mechanics. It wasn't completely perfect but I'd really like if another game copied that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Samovar posted:

oh for gently caress's sake is that what it says?

My girlfriend was really disturbed because she thought my game was regularly murmuring "ohhhh that's niiiiice" and now I can't hear it any other way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Bioshock Infinite does something similar, like how the Possession vigor is Romeo and Juliet played backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HaSmv6vFuQ

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

An incredibly cute little detail in Rise of the Tomb Raider that I'd forgotten to mention: I love that every time Lara gets out of water, she rings out her ponytail. :3: It's exactly what I do when I finish in the shower.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I'm playing Far Cry Primal right now, and it definitely suffers from Ubisoft map and activities syndrome. It also suffers from franchise fatigue from no real overall changes, they've made the same game 3 times now, and the series peaked at 3 for sure.

However, I loving love throwing spears at motherfuckers. If you get close to me, Ta-Cha!, poke your rear end way from me. Mid-Distance, SPEAR!. Long distance away and don't even see me? SPEAR! Me running into an enemy camp full speed catching everyones attention? SPEAR SPEAR SPEAR. It does absurd damage also, killing most common enemies with one hit. You can only carry a handful too, so you'll kill a couple dudes, and then you gotta run forward and pull the spears out of the dead enemies so can throw them through the oncoming ones.

Also, you can set your spears on fire.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have you tried throwing bees at people in between spears?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So Far Cry Primal is basically Bioshock but instead of plasmids you apply the effects to spears? "Flame spear! Bee Spear! Crawl-on-walls Spear! TELEPORT SPEAR!"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spears are just spears. But they wanted to have grenades in as well, so you throw leather bags full of bees at people.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

The Lone Badger posted:

Spears are just spears. But they wanted to have grenades in as well, so you throw leather bags full of bees at people.

This sounds like a vast improvement over a boring old grenade.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

graybook posted:

This sounds like a vast improvement over a boring old grenade.

You can also have your pet owl airdrop these into enemy encampments.

First there was nothing.
Then, Bees.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

First there was nothing.
Then, Bees.