Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I feel like the show started out wanting to be more of a season-long narrative than just a "format" show. Like, from the framing scenes in Episode 1 (and the epicness of the trailer) I thought there would be this whole story about how they're traveling the world and seeking out interesting cars and car stories, and half the show would be about their real-time travels and the poo poo they get into.

I really wasn't expecting it to be this much of a "Top Gear with the numbers filed off".

I'm generally with you in that GT could have been so much more than it actually is. What it is is OK, but disappointing. Too many parts are just teeth-gratingly bad, interspersed with very good stuff that keeps me watching (but barely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally I hope they do a cheap car (or just a pick-a-car) challenge soon. Those were always my favorite parts of both their generation of TGUK and TGUS. Hopefully its not considered Top Gear IP like the concept of a masked racing driver. We did get my favorite part of them though this week, with everyone pulling up and explaining why they picked their car and mocking each other's. But I love when they have to do that without an unlimited budget. Buying the $1000 cars in Miami was one of my favorite scenes in the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I do like that they have been doing their segments as two of the guys with a similar interest in a certain kind of driving or car. Then the third one shows up uninvited.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I had no idea people vehemently hated the celeb bits in Top Gear. It was good when you knew who the person was, great if they were a megastar or you particularly liked them, and if not hey now you know one more person. Do you also skip the interview segments on any talk show ever?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I had no idea people vehemently hated the celeb bits in Top Gear. It was good when you knew who the person was, great if they were a megastar or you particularly liked them, and if not hey now you know one more person. Do you also skip the interview segments on any talk show ever?

The actual interview parts were usually pretty dull and boring - celebrity on a publicity tour to promote his/her latest project. Not any different from any other talk show. I enjoyed seeing them drive, though, as it was something different with often amusing results.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was interesting if you had someone who was into cars and wanted to get a good time. Not so much if it was like Jeff Goldblum who drove a 90s Mercedes because that's the car he was given by the studio after Jurassic Park. He was so uninterested in cars that he didn't even know you could take it out of third gear to go faster.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Without the celeb bits and a more "newsy" The News Conversation Street, the whole studio/tent part seems borderline irrelevant.
They aren't doing anything with it that really leverages the live audience or location. :(

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally I hope they do a cheap car (or just a pick-a-car) challenge soon.

Agreed. As much as I like to watch them drive around in cars that I can't afford, I derive as much -- if not more -- pleasure from seeing them drive around in old beaters that break down in unexpected and hilarious ways.

The 1500 Porsche challenge from Season 8 was great.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 2, 2016

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
this past episode was a lot better than the first two, but it still seems like they're trying too hard. Putting the Challenger up against the Aston / Rolls and watching the three of them have it out was a good premise on its own ( watching Aston v. Dodge on the track was pretty fun ), but Hammond turning the American-stereotype knob up to 11 kinda ruined it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm watching the new episode now wondering why in the world it wasn't the first one. It's literally called The Grand Tour.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It would have been good as the first ep, I agree, especially as an introduction too everyone's personalities/"characters", but I can kinda see why they led with the 918/P1/LaFerrari battle to open because that was kinda the Big Thing they had been going for on Top Gear and now they could do it.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Also makes sense to get your stinkers out of the way first while people are still willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This should have been episode 1. "Our show is called The Grand Tour and we want to kick it off by doing an actual grand tour through Europe." Then the second episode they could do the big three super cars finally and then do whatever.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The new episode is much better but the material and jokes just don't seem as good as they were in TG; the flow of the show seems really disjointed. Did they lose a key writer in the transition or something? I did much prefer GTs in Italy to the other stuff, but the Hammond thing was totally overwrought. I would also like to know more about the cars, even though they don't have the "provide product reviews" mandate from the BBC anymore.

Whitby looks nice, can UK goons confirm/deny?

blk fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 3, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hellcat Charger is pure insanity, modern Rolls look like goddamn bricks. And why the gently caress didn't they let The American drive a Hellcat around the Eboladrome? 700hp MOPAR, he would've felt right at home, ignoring the fact that I guess he primarily drove Chevys in NASCAR.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I've been almost wondering if at the BBC they had a few levels of managment/critics they had to go through before an episode went to air. People that called them out on things/ told them when things weren't working. And with Amazon they literally have next to no filter and a blank check and they really need that filter at times.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
One of the few episodes in all of top gear Richard made me laugh pretty much the entire time. I say bravo!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I liked the first episode more but this one was very good. Seconding that I'd have preferred more on the cars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

It's a nice old fishing village with a lot of history to it (read Dracula?), plus just out of shot from the GT filming is the abbey ruins overlooking the harbour.

While it's out of the way a bit, it's a worthwhile inclusion if you're going to Yorkshire or the north in general. Also have a look at Robin Hood's Bay just south of there.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Awesome episode this week.

On a side note -- what are the best TGUS episodes? I never got hooked on the show. A lot of the episodes were dull but there were some good ones as well.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Well this happened: http://jalopnik.com/you-can-now-stream-seasons-2-through-17-of-top-gear-on-1789627435

Seasons 2-17 of top gear on amazon prime. Probably the DVD music version, but still.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

blk posted:

It's a nice old fishing village that is invaded twice a year by Goths.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Well this happened: http://jalopnik.com/you-can-now-stream-seasons-2-through-17-of-top-gear-on-1789627435

Seasons 2-17 of top gear on amazon prime. Probably the DVD music version, but still.
That's quite a deal. I wonder if it's the versions with the news edited out, though. News banter between the hosts is the best part of many episodes for me.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I looked at a couple of episodes in the earlier seasons and it doesn't seem to be.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

triple clutcher posted:

this past episode was a lot better than the first two, but it still seems like they're trying too hard. Putting the Challenger up against the Aston / Rolls and watching the three of them have it out was a good premise on its own ( watching Aston v. Dodge on the track was pretty fun ), but Hammond turning the American-stereotype knob up to 11 kinda ruined it.

Aye, I found the American-izing a bit over the top but the rest was fun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looks like in my country amazon has all seasons of Top Gear, but only the latest five or so are included in Prime. Boo!

... but there's Top Gear USA as well! Any standout episodes?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This episode was better than last week's, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Other than the brief house demolition, there was really only one film in this episode, their rather lacklustre grand tour. Throughout that whole film there was only one joke repeated ad nauseam, Hammond is annoying. No challenges, other than a race between two of them, and no taking turns pulling pranks on eachother.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jehde posted:

This episode was better than last week's, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Other than the brief house demolition, there was really only one film in this episode, their rather lacklustre grand tour. Throughout that whole film there was only one joke repeated ad nauseam, Hammond is annoying. No challenges, other than a race between two of them, and no taking turns pulling pranks on eachother.

:regd08: is the general theme of the show so far.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
This episode just rekindled my interest in Vivaldi. drat do I love Baroque.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Disappointing Pie posted:

with Amazon they literally have next to no filter and a blank check and they really need that filter at times.
Yeah, I mean, look at what they've got planned for next week:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Deteriorata posted:

That was probably a "dramatization" though. A Hellcat SRT is rated 13C/21H by the EPA, so Hammond was either doing lots of donuts off camera or they fudged it a bit.

Drive anything with 600+ hp and you get 6mpg in my experience. Technically it's possible to get more but if you floor it every time you see a tunnel (and you do) that's the result. When I had an FF for a few days the first tank of gas lasted 90 miles.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

drgitlin posted:

Drive anything with 600+ hp and you get 6mpg in my experience. Technically it's possible to get more but if you floor it every time you see a tunnel (and you do) that's the result. When I had an FF for a few days the first tank of gas lasted 90 miles.

My old trans am was just south of 600 to the wheels. Highway I still got 25 or so.

In the city, I could do 13. If I was actually having fun and not short shifting every single gear? 6 or 7.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iwentdoodie posted:

My old trans am was just south of 600 to the wheels. Highway I still got 25 or so.

In the city, I could do 13. If I was actually having fun and not short shifting every single gear? 6 or 7.

That's exactly my point. Technically you can get double digit efficiency, but if you only have a car like that to drive for a few days? Expect to get Hammond-level mpg.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drgitlin posted:

That's exactly my point. Technically you can get double digit efficiency, but if you only have a car like that to drive for a few days? Expect to get Hammond-level mpg.

And I was actually trying to suggest that if they didn't just make it up, Hammond had to be deliberately driving it to burn as much gas as possible just for the yuks. Which was entirely possible, but either way they were going out of their way to make the car look like it drank more gas than it actually would IRL. They never quoted actual MPG for the other two, just the optimal values at a peak moment on the highway. Those would probably get in low double figures.

That's all fine as far it goes, it's an entertainment show. It just grated on me because it was all part of the gee-haw redneck American muscle car thing they beat into the ground for the whole segment.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Some people really dislike fun.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

And I was actually trying to suggest that if they didn't just make it up, Hammond had to be deliberately driving it to burn as much gas as possible just for the yuks.

When you have a 700 HP car and the ability to floor it frequently without risking a license suspension and jail time, unsurprisingly, you will floor it a lot.

Unless you just hate fun.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Deteriorata posted:

They never quoted actual MPG for the other two, just the optimal values at a peak moment on the highway. Those would probably get in low double figures.
James does say when his MPG is measured from, thereby showing he means average consumption.

Besides, it doesn't matter. Assume everything on the show is subject to hyperbole or the rules of cool/funny/convenient as per TV in general.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

James does say when his MPG is measured from, thereby showing he means average consumption.

Besides, it doesn't matter. Assume everything on the show is subject to hyperbole or the rules of cool/funny/convenient as per TV in general.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. That's why all this dogpiling is so dumb. My very first comment on it was that it was a "dramatization".

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It kinda reminds me of the time they had the original Tesla on and said it had a 50 mile range and broke down immediately, then Tesla sued them and they admitted it was an "exaggeration".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Clarkson did mention the Aston was getting 21MPG