Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Actually, no. Especially if you come from a country where you have a different perspective on distance.
My balls-expensive perspective mostly relates to monetary terms. You can buy a good 92 sqm (3 br) apartment in downtown (literally in the middle, 20 minutes on foot to most of important things in the downtown area) Riga for 1.4 million SEK. Coming from Latvia, commute of an hour or so one way is in the high end of normal range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero Gravitas posted:

Is this production cut by Opec going to do much for Norwegian industry?

It's likely to, but how big an impact is anyone's guess. Smart money is getting out if oil regardless, at least long-term, so...

ThaumPenguin posted:

what the gently caress

Yeah. I didn't even get to the interesting bits. Because all those potential issues can be combined in all sorts of fun and creative ways.

Did you know certain easements that have higher priority than liens may survive even a foreclosure of the property? It's one weird fact that banks hate :v: Particularly as easements in Norway encompass a lot of different things.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My balls-expensive perspective mostly relates to monetary terms. You can buy a good 92 sqm (3 br) apartment in downtown (literally in the middle, 20 minutes on foot to most of important things in the downtown area) Riga for 1.4 million SEK. Coming from Latvia, commute of an hour or so one way is in the high end of normal range.
Being fair though, I'll mention that 1.4 million SEK is 155 average monthly salaries in Riga for September 2016. Average monthly bruto salaries, that is. 212 neto.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/knut-arild-hareide/hareide-har-aldri-doegnet-foer/a/23860657/

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Actually it'd be cool and good for the national budget to be designed by sleep-deprived shufflers.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was mostly getting at weather in Bergen, i.e. "who wants to live there". Real estate is going to be insanely expensive anywhere in the Nordics, I think, unless you are buying a chunk of swamp beyond the polar circle.

While the weather might be poo poo Bergen is considered a very beautiful city, and the food/nightlife/culture scene in the more northern cities have been skyrocketing recently. I doubt you'd find it cheap.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Actually it'd be cool and good for the national budget to be designed by sleep-deprived shufflers.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cardiac posted:

How many in the left have actually read Piketty, instead of just cherrypicking small factoids? I have, and even for a centrist like me, there are some pretty concerning issues he brings up.

I read Piketty (twice because I'm stupid), but I also read Empire many years ago, which I'm pretty sure counts as a deduction in knowledge points. Anyway, in my opinion the only thing you need to know from Piketty is that r > g and that completely fucks neo-classical macro economic models (you know, the ones idiot politicians based all their policy decisions on). This is despite numerous other economists attempts to explain how r > g is actually perfectly normal, and you see the technology will make it so g=r and then... Completely ignoring that Piketty actually bases his analysis on an empirical foundation, as one of the very, very few economists.

It doesn't really matter, since it's all bunk regardless. Economy as a discipline, has only has the barest - and only if you squint into the sun, and turn your head just so - shred of actual science to it. It's fundamentally a tautology, something that normative laissez-faire economists absolute hate being reminded of, whether they're called Knight, Mises or Friedman. For the latter you can read 'the methodolgy of postive economics' for a sophomoric view of theory of science, and too see that he barely makes any pretenses that economics is anything but inconsequential self-referential daydreaming, though in the end, his point, of course, becomes that the real problem is that economic theory is too good for empirical work :suicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

It doesn't really matter, since it's all bunk regardless. Economy as a discipline, has only has the barest - and only if you squint into the sun, and turn your head just so - shred of actual science to it. It's fundamentally a tautology, something that normative laissez-faire economists absolute hate being reminded of, whether they're called Knight, Mises or Friedman. For the latter you can read 'the methodolgy of postive economics' for a sophomoric view of theory of science, and too see that he barely makes any pretenses that economics is anything but inconsequential self-referential daydreaming, though in the end, his point, of course, becomes that the real problem is that economic theory is too good for empirical work :suicide:

Uh no, you're close but it's not tautology, it's philosophy. Political Science and National Economy are the most politically influential fields of research since basically ancient Athens and they are almost entirely built on philosophical arguments. This doesn't mean they do not hold value, it just means that they are poor tools for making predictive claims. A chemist can tell you with almost no fault what happens when x meets y in a chemical reaction. In contrast, ask a room of economists what the effects of tax cut y would be on demographic x and you'll get a myriad of answers. The problem is that society is simply too complex as an entity to be easily predicted, and scientists, especially with a quantitative bent, like overstating the predictive ability of the methodologies they develop based on their own ontological assumptions. Social sciences are more suited for explaining and understanding past events as there all relevant data can theoretically be known and controlled for.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

Uh no, you're close but it's not tautology, it's philosophy. Political Science and National Economy are the most politically influential fields of research since basically ancient Athens and they are almost entirely built on philosophical arguments. This doesn't mean they do not hold value, it just means that they are poor tools for making predictive claims. A chemist can tell you with almost no fault what happens when x meets y in a chemical reaction. In contrast, ask a room of economists what the effects of tax cut y would be on demographic x and you'll get a myriad of answers. The problem is that society is simply too complex as an entity to be easily predicted, and scientists, especially with a quantitative bent, like overstating the predictive ability of the methodologies they develop based on their own ontological assumptions. Social sciences are more suited for explaining and understanding past events as there all relevant data can theoretically be known and controlled for.

I'll agree to disagree on the first part. Like math and theoretical physics, economic theory is tautological in nature. The difference is that the first two can be successfully applied to the real world, primarily because they are not social sciences. Theory without empirical data in social science is silly, as is empirical data without theory (because there is always a theory, it's just whether you realize it or not), I follow Bourdieu on this. I'll agree to agree on the latter parts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, that debate is as old as science itself. :v:

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Re: Bergen talk

It doesn't rain all the time here
Sometimes we get snow

Though I may be biased it really is a beautiful city. Pity our local gov. and police force are a bunch of blundering asshats.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Government Handjob posted:

Sometimes we get snow

Though I may be biased it really is a beautiful city. Pity our local gov. and police force are a bunch of blundering asshats.

So it's basically slightly colder Stockholm.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I read Piketty (twice because I'm stupid), but I also read Empire many years ago, which I'm pretty sure counts as a deduction in knowledge points. Anyway, in my opinion the only thing you need to know from Piketty is that r > g and that completely fucks neo-classical macro economic models (you know, the ones idiot politicians based all their policy decisions on). This is despite numerous other economists attempts to explain how r > g is actually perfectly normal, and you see the technology will make it so g=r and then... Completely ignoring that Piketty actually bases his analysis on an empirical foundation, as one of the very, very few economists.

I like Piketty, since like a real scientist should, he started with collecting a shitload of data first. Piketty making GBS threads on Marx for being bad with data collection in Capital cracked me up.
r>g is one of the main things in his book, which implies the return of living on inherited money and therefore loving over making a career.
The other thing is how the latter part of 20th century can be seen as the recovery from WW1 and WWII and the economic growth we saw from that period have now petered off. The massive increases in the welfare state was dependent on this massive growth and now when that is no longer the case, what happens now?

MiddleOne posted:

Funny thing is that chemistry is not that easy once you come to the advanced stuff, like cell chemistry and so forth. There are a lot of blank spots there and especially biological systems are pretty much black boxes you poke in different ways seeing what makes them tickle.
For example, predicting in advance what makes a specific molecule/protein crystallize is still unknown.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Government Handjob posted:

Sometimes we get snow

Sorry, Bergen sucks: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/tyskland/tysk-politi-stjaalet-arbeit-macht-frei-port-funnet-i-bergen/a/23862744/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ahahaha loving burn you fuckers:devil:

Hevo
Jul 8, 2015

Någon som vill vara med och äta citronmarinerad dalahäst med gamle jim jim?

http://www.tradera.com/item/280404/270726333/jimmie-akesson-bjuder-pa-middag-

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It somehow makes sense that he considers tacos exotic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It somehow makes sense that he considers tacos exotic.
Even if it was Åkesson who wrote that blurb, tacos are indeed exotic since exotic can mean "foreign".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Even if it was Åkesson who wrote that blurb, tacos are indeed exotic since exotic can mean "foreign".

But "tacos" as we know them are strictly western. Like I'm not even sure if taco's as we know it exists outside of Scandinavia, the UK and Ireland because I've sure never seen it anywhere else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

But "tacos" as we know them are strictly western. Like I'm not even sure if taco's as we know it exists outside of Scandinavia, the UK and Ireland because I've sure never seen it anywhere else.
Fair point, I recently had taco in Sweden for the first time, and that was fairly post-apocalyptic experience involving sour cream guacamole and shredded mozzarella over diced cucumber, as well as ICA taco sauce. You should rename that dish to köttfärsrulle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fair point, I recently had taco in Sweden for the first time, and that was fairly post-apocalyptic experience involving sour cream guacamole and shredded mozzarella over diced cucumber, as well as ICA taco sauce. You should rename that dish to köttfärsrulle.

Well there's nothing stopping you from varying it up. It's the specific blend of cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, cayenne and potato flour that gives it the iconic taste. You could just as well as mince meat use, chicken, soy or shredded carrots and garlic.

And yeah probably.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think I had everything available on the desk piled in my tacos, something I paid for dearly during the acrobatic performance of consummation of the first one. It tasted nice, but I'm strongly unconvinced that it qualified as taco.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think I had everything available on the desk piled in my tacos, something I paid for dearly during the acrobatic performance of consummation of the first one. It tasted nice, but I'm strongly unconvinced that it qualified as taco.

It's an authentic in-authentic western Taco. That's how I described it to friend from Kazakhstan when she wondered what the gently caress the thing I was eating for dinner was.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
please do not consummate your tacos

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Make me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

It's an authentic in-authentic western Taco. That's how I described it to friend from Kazakhstan when she wondered what the gently caress the thing I was eating for dinner was.
*with Kazakhstanian accent* Dekadenta västerlänningar, smh

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*with Kazakhstanian accent* Dekadenta västerlänningar, smh

декадентские западники

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Det enda en taco inte bör innehålla är majs. Allt annat är tillåtet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I got blindsided by some holy war concerning the optimal tortilla temperature.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It makes as much sense as calling pizza or spaghetti exotic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It makes as much sense as calling pizza or spaghetti exotic.
Swedish pizza is textbook definition of exotic food.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Arna isn't Bergen :colbert:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We survived pages upon pages of tedious pizza chat. I swear to god if you start posting about loving tacos...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Well, there's your problem. I'm not so sure about the guacamole and mozzarella either. :barf:

Beeswax posted:

We survived pages upon pages of tedious pizza chat. I swear to god if you start posting about loving tacos...
But being on topic so loving depressing. At least tedious food crap is just making you want to kill yourself to get away from the stupid but you can just close the window/tab and everything will be fine again. :smith:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

evilmiera posted:

Det enda en taco inte bör innehålla är majs. Allt annat är tillåtet.

Mais er det eneste du ikke kan droppe i tacoen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/bjorn-wiman-kan-man-tanka-sig-en-ny-svensk-patriotism-varfor-inte/

quote:

Till en början trodde vi inte våra öron. Scenen var en konferens med norska och svenska journalister och opinionsbildare på Voksenåsen ovanför Oslo, ett vackert hus som den norska staten skänkte som nationalgåva till Sverige som tack för den humanitära hjälpen under och strax efter andra världskriget. Nu stod de norska deltagarna i talarstolen, en efter en, och gav igen för gammal ost.

Sverige, menade de, uppvisade alla tecken på att vara ett mentalt förslavat land, vars befolkning var besatt av genusfrågor, flyktingkramande och politisk korrekthet. Bland de kvästa medborgarna var det få som vågade säga sin mening och ventilera de nödvändiga sanningarna om hotet från muslimerna, som var på väg att ta över landet. Det tog aldrig slut – det var som om omsvängningen av den svenska flyktingpolitiken förra hösten hade öppnat en dammlucka för inkapslade norska aggressioner.

Några av oss försökte sticka hål på norrmännens faktaresistenta föreställningar om Sverige. Vi underströk att det i Sveriges riksdag finns ett parti med nazistiska rötter som åtnjuter stöd av närmare 20 procent av befolkningen, att Sverige sedan förra hösten för en restriktiv invandringspolitik i linje med EU:s miniminivåer och att ingen fråga i vår offentlighet debatteras med en sådan hetta och frekvens som just invandringen. Det kunde även finnas en poäng, tyckte några av oss, att på just denna plats påminna om att de tiotusentals personer som kommit till Sverige från krigets Syrien ändå var människor som flytt för sina liv och inte tillhyggen i en provinsiell skandinavisk hedersuppgörelse.

Alla dessa ord föll på hälleberget, på en höjd ovanför Oslo som en gång skulle symbolisera samförstånd och solidaritet. Vi hade kommit till Voksenåsen för att tala med varandra. I stället hade vi hamnat mitt i en brutal roast av Sverige.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Manden har ret. Jeg har set en klar ændring i de normænd jeg har mødt over de sidste år, fra glade og imødekommende, til sure og fornærmede over Danmarks "kolonialtid" i Norge - der jo var mindst lige så slem som Belgiens i Congo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Manden har ret. Jeg har set en klar ændring i de normænd jeg har mødt over de sidste år, fra glade og imødekommende, til sure og fornærmede over Danmarks "kolonialtid" i Norge - der jo var mindst lige så slem som Belgiens i Congo.

I feel like I've seen this change in people from all over (Europe, America) over the last decade or so. People have generally become more reserved and less carefree, and are more likely to pigeonhole each other based on minimal evidence. Sucks, but maybe it's just part of the Zeitgeist to dig up old grievances now. Though I think for anyone to be upset over Danish/Swedish colonialism in Norway at this point in time is downright bizarre, and I doubt it's a big thing.

Sweden-bashing is, however, especially in the "alt news". There's a (not necessarily big) group of very loud people who specialize in spreading bile around 24/7, and it's p. loathsome.