Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

to be fair, hillary was actually talking about her plans to help coal miners losing their jobs as the nation's energy profile changes. but that one sentence became the entire media story.

nobody wants retraining

it's a fundamentally flawed solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
why is it such a loving shock that people don't want to lose their current job, lovely as it is, in exchange for some nebulous promise of a future job of some sort that may or may not be better?

jesus christ people what the gently caress is wrong with you

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
yes lets all just imagine this magical world where coal mining will become economically viable again

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well What Now posted:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Well What Now posted:

why is it such a loving shock that people don't want to lose their current job, lovely as it is, in exchange for some nebulous promise of a future job of some sort that may or may not be better?

Duh, of course. But the issue is coal jobs are going down anyway. One party actually cares and the other would replace them with automatons if they could.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
"this trump guy is actually good" ~ a couple of idiots

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Agrajag posted:

yes lets all just imagine this magical world where coal mining will become economically viable again

Darkman Fanpage posted:

"this trump guy is actually good" ~ a couple of idiots

holy poo poo is that not the point

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Agrajag posted:

well if we nationalize the mines we can just pay them to dig it up and then bury it again

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Well What Now posted:

holy poo poo is that not the point

They are broken people, just sigh and move on

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if nafta didnt gently caress workers and unions over so hard an uncharismatic democratic politician might have some credibility

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
"your job is gonna die, vote for me"

HOW DID THAT NOT WORK? WELL I GUESS IT'S JUST AN UNFATHOMABLE MYSTERY OF THE COSMOS SHRUGS CLINTONIANLY

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Well What Now posted:

HOW DID THAT NOT WORK? WELL I GUESS IT'S JUST AN UNFATHOMABLE MYSTERY OF THE COSMOS UWU

Telling the truth isn't always the politically smartest move.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
NO loving poo poo REALLY

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Telling the truth isn't always the politically smartest move.

If you do you gotta couple it with some sort of better alternative you are gonna fight for. Since the context of the speech has now been shared, we know she didnt, and only really stupid people would think she did.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
"in the long term the industry you work in is unsustainable so your job is gonna die"

"ok, so how else am I gonna put food on my table in the meantime"

"*crickets*"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

They are broken people, just sigh and move on

all im arguing is that trump is not an isolationist. the guy is going to bomb the poo poo out of people just like every president of the 20th century and 21 century.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Well What Now posted:

HOW DID THAT NOT WORK? WELL I GUESS IT'S JUST AN UNFATHOMABLE MYSTERY OF THE COSMOS SHRUGS CLINTONIANLY

And we're right the gently caress back to "the only solution is slobbering coals knob to a loving spitshine."

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
calling Trump an isolationist is an insult to isolationists

Trump isn't an anything, he's an unpredictable scatterbrained lunatic with no understanding of geopolitics and no ideology beyond making money

the fact that someone like that Killing Hope dude is so enthused about having a man like that as President because he has a bug up his rear end about the CIA (however justified that bug might be) just shows he doesn't actually understand the subject he's supposedly an expert on

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Well What Now posted:

Trump isn't an anything, he's an unpredictable scatterbrained lunatic with no understanding of geopolitics and no ideology beyond making money
i wonder how he'll accidentally end up losing most of the money he's going to be responsible for this time

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Well What Now posted:

"in the long term the industry you work in is unsustainable so your job is gonna die"

"yeah so how am I gonna put food on my table in the meantime"

"*crickets*"

quote:

Look, we have serious economic problems in many parts of our country. And Roland is absolutely right. Instead of dividing people the way Donald Trump does, let's reunite around policies that will bring jobs and opportunities to all these underserved poor communities.

So for example, I'm the only candidate which has a policy about how to bring economic opportunity using clean renewable energy as the key into coal country. Because we're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business, right?

And we're going to make it clear that we don't want to forget those people. Those people labored in those mines for generations, losing their health, often losing their lives to turn on our lights and power our factories.

Now we've got to move away from coal and all the other fossil fuels, but I don't want to move away from the people who did the best they could to produce the energy that we relied on.

So whether it's coal country or Indian country or poor urban areas, there is a lot of poverty in America. We have gone backwards. We were moving in the right direction. In the '90s, more people were lifted out of poverty than any time in recent history.

Because of the terrible economic policies of the Bush administration, President Obama was left with the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, and people fell back into poverty because they lost jobs, they lost homes, they lost opportunities, and hope.

So I am passionate about this, which is why I have put forward specific plans about how we incentivize more jobs, more investment in poor communities, and put people to work.

Look, there's nothing a Democrat can do to win coal country because as a party we have done a lot to end coal and we're going to continue to do that. I think we have a moral obligation to tell the truth and do what we can for coal workers even if it will never win us votes there. Disagree if you like, but no Democrat running on renewable energy will ever win coal country.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Every important Soviet premiere was from a coal mining family, libs are clueless!!!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

all im arguing is that trump is not an isolationist. the guy is going to bomb the poo poo out of people just like every president of the 20th century.

Probably yeah. Its not guaranteed though, just very likely

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
who did ken bone go for

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Well What Now posted:

the fact that someone like that Killing Hope dude is so enthused about having a man like that as President because he has a bug up his rear end about the CIA (however justified that bug might be) just shows he doesn't actually understand the subject he's supposedly an expert on
he's not really enthused. he just prefers a wildcard saying some isolationist stuff and is more dovish on russia instead of the guaranteed female kissinger as president.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
honestly I totally understand why people turn into reflexive anti-Americans because we have done and still do a lot of lovely things around the world but if you're at the point that you're cheering that Trump won because you think it'll keep the big scary Deep Security State from doing nefarious things and that everything that happens in the world is in some way engineered by the US, you've loving lost touch with reality

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i wonder how he'll accidentally end up losing most of the money he's going to be responsible for this time

Great Depression II: The Trumpening

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

comedyblissoption posted:

he's not really enthused. he just prefers a wildcard saying some isolationist stuff and is more dovish on russia instead of the guaranteed female kissinger as president.

he parrots the Kremlin horseshit propaganda line about the Ukrainian protests being a US-backed coup

as far as I'm concerned he has no credibility to speak on anything if he actually believes that

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

logikv9 posted:

who did ken bone go for

the beautiful human submarine, which ever one that was

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

So the best kind of caucus...is just a regular voting system, mixed with a separate registration drive? How is it still a caucus?

It's a meeting of members of a political party.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Look, there's nothing a Democrat can do to win coal country because as a party we have done a lot to end coal and we're going to continue to do that. I think we have a moral obligation to tell the truth and do what we can for coal workers even if it will never win us votes there. Disagree if you like, but no Democrat running on renewable energy will ever win coal country.

They could actually say something comforting or hopeful or optimistic instead of garbage like that, and the fact that you repeatedly confuse vague and empty reassurances is somehow good enough never ceases to amaze.

The only thing in that speech that has any weight is the fact that we are going to out these people out of business, it is no surprise that is that part that got extracted.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the california caucus, where we have to stop the 6.5% N. Ca and stop the fees

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

They could actually say something comforting or hopeful or optimistic instead of garbage like that, and the fact that you repeatedly confuse vague and empty reassurances is somehow good enough never ceases to amaze.

The only thing in that speech that has any weight is the fact that we are going to out these people out of business, it is no surprise that is that part that got extracted.
i'm also not sure that there's a lack of common translatable skills between refining and processing coal and processing and refining silica to make photosynthetic material except that you are likely going to be given a hazard suit in the latter case

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm also not sure that there's a lack of common translatable skills between refining and processing coal and processing and refining silica to make photosynthetic material except that you are likely going to be given a hazard suit in the latter case

Might have been worth mentioning that then.

Like is there any speech where she says anything that isnt vague and noncommital and distant about this? Trump constantly talked about this stuff in concrete language, used specific examples, made it personally relevant.

Like if she had talked about coal processors managing to find even more success moving into silicon factories that would have seemed a lot stronger than the weak poo poo that was quoted

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Trump had the yuge advantage of not knowing if anything he said was even plausible and not caring either.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

Might have been worth mentioning that then.

Like if she had talked about coal processors managing to find even more success moving into silicon factories that would have seemed a lot stronger than the weak poo poo that was quoted

So she needed to bring her 50 point PowerPoint presentation and started lecturing them on it. I'm sure that would have gone over a loving treat.

Also:

GlyphGryph posted:

Trump constantly talked about this stuff in concrete language, used specific examples, made it personally relevant.
You have got to be kidding me, you cannot be this loving delusional and detached from reality. He spent his time talking to coal miners whining that he couldn't use hairspray anymore.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

GlyphGryph posted:

:yeah:

"Replace every empty coal mine with a full silicon factory" is such a better phrase for people to hear than "I'll kill your job (and maybe get you a new one instead)". Sure, they might basically be the same plan, but the former is an active hopeful plan while the latter is just a bunch of uncertainty. The way you stop "I'm here to kill your job" from being the big takeaway is to never actually say it and instead just talk about the job you're going to give them.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Fulchrum posted:

You have got to be kidding me, you cannot be this loving delusional and detached from reality.

:ironicat:

quote:

He spent his time talking to coal miners whining that he couldn't use hairspray anymore.

Sounds like he was bitching about air pollution laws, which are a huge reason why coal is a dying industry! That couldn't possibly resonate with people who work in the coal industry!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

So she needed to bring her 50 point PowerPoint presentation and started lecturing them on it. I'm sure that would have gone over a loving treat.
i thought your platform was NOT to undersell the intelligence of the electorate, and yet...

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GlyphGryph posted:

So what should she say that isn't a vague or empty reassurance?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

So what should she say that isn't a vague or empty reassurance?

quote:

"Replace every empty coal mine with a full silicon factory"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

Why are you even complaining anymore, you have yourself given up on your platform as impossible to promote and make popular, so why what drives you to continue your incessant whining?

• Locked thread