Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

grymwulf posted:

Stay away from the SB6190 - there is an issue with the Puma 6 chipset: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake

Stick with the SB6183 for now.

The author says a firmware fix is on the way. How do you apply firmware fixes to cable modems? Does the ISP handle that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

grymwulf posted:

Stay away from the SB6190 - there is an issue with the Puma 6 chipset: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake

Stick with the SB6183 for now.

Good to know and slightly worrying, even if most of this is over my head. Is the firmware fix something that will be coming out soon enough to warrant just sticking with the 6190 or would the SB6183 and a TP Link AC3150 wireless router still be overkill for everything I'd need?

Edit: TWC says the SB6183 is not IPv6 compatible? I thought I read they were going to update it so it is? Is this something I need to worry about?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 29, 2016

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Ynglaur posted:

The author says a firmware fix is on the way. How do you apply firmware fixes to cable modems? Does the ISP handle that?

The ISP handles it. The cable modem is basically a slave to their system in that regard. Any firmware changes you might make would be instantly overridden by their system when the modem joined the network. Hopefully the ISP bothers to actually roll out said firmware update. But they will probably want to test it first and who knows how long that might take.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a TP-Link WDR-3600 right now, and I want to set up a VPN so I can get my laptop on my home network when I'm out. I've never set one up before, and I'm having a hard time sorting through the Google information. Is it possible to do with the stock firmware? Is there a free option? I'm going to be using a Fedora laptop to get on, but I don't think the destination network side of the tunnel will care about the OS, right?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

Good to know and slightly worrying, even if most of this is over my head. Is the firmware fix something that will be coming out soon enough to warrant just sticking with the 6190 or would the SB6183 and a TP Link AC3150 wireless router still be overkill for everything I'd need?

Edit: TWC says the SB6183 is not IPv6 compatible? I thought I read they were going to update it so it is? Is this something I need to worry about?

By allowing more channels to be bonded the 6190 can offer more consistent speeds when the ISP's network is under load. Even if you are only paying for a lower speed tier. However there is no way to really tell how much benefit being able to bond more channels is going to give you without testing both modems side by side.

IPv6 is a tough call. At the moment supporting IPv6 isn't terribly important. But it will probably become important in the next 2-4 years. Its not worth buying new gear right now just to get IPv6 support but it is worth making sure that whatever you are buying today anyway (for some other reason) does support it. Since the SB6183 will support IPv6 with a firmware update I imagine that TWC will roll out said firmware update by the time IPv6 support starts to become important. So its probably not a big deal.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got a TP-Link WDR-3600 right now, and I want to set up a VPN so I can get my laptop on my home network when I'm out. I've never set one up before, and I'm having a hard time sorting through the Google information. Is it possible to do with the stock firmware? Is there a free option? I'm going to be using a Fedora laptop to get on, but I don't think the destination network side of the tunnel will care about the OS, right?

You will need to install DD-WRT on your router to get VPN functionality. You will need to google for how to setup OpenVPN on DD-WRT for client access. This guide (along with parts 2 and 3) looks like a good place to start.

OpenVPN does not care about the OS running on the client machine and will happily run on Windows, Linux, and OSX. Just keep in mind that that router can only do about 7.5mbps of VPN performance. If you want serious VPN performance you are probably going to need to build a pfSense box or buy an Edge Router Lite.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Antillie posted:

The ISP handles it. The cable modem is basically a slave to their system in that regard. Any firmware changes you might make would be instantly overridden by their system when the modem joined the network. Hopefully the ISP bothers to actually roll out said firmware update. But they will probably want to test it first and who knows how long that might take.

Thanks. I have Cox at home, and their general level of service is pretty good, especially compared to the horror stories I read about Charter, AT&T, etc. I haven't noticed any massive lag spikes, so I'll remain content with my 100/20 Mbps down/up, and keep hoping that Gigablast will make it to Connecticut.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Antillie posted:

You will need to install DD-WRT on your router to get VPN functionality. You will need to google for how to setup OpenVPN on DD-WRT for client access. This guide (along with parts 2 and 3) looks like a good place to start.

OpenVPN does not care about the OS running on the client machine and will happily run on Windows, Linux, and OSX. Just keep in mind that that router can only do about 7.5mbps of VPN performance. If you want serious VPN performance you are probably going to need to build a pfSense box or buy an Edge Router Lite.

Okay, thanks. My upstream connection only goes up to about 6-7mbps anyway. That should be enough to grab files and do some sort of RDP-ish thing to my desktop if necessary.

Also learning how to set up a VPN is a good job skill.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Fhqwhgads posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about TWC, at least in Brooklyn, I bought a 6183 a while back, and about two months ago I plugged my laptop directly into the Ethernet port to check the firmware revision on the 6183, and sure enough it was an up-to-date one. I think only three months old and it said something like a dedicated TimeWarner version or something?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am not great at this networking stuff. My combo router/modem keeps dropping wifi and its 3 years old. After reading what I could understand of the OP, I am set to buy myself a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite and a Surfboard 6190. I assume this is much superior in some way to buying a SB6900AC with the router built in?

I have 3 laptops, an Xbone and two phones in a suburban house with Comcast, so nothing too demanding.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Id just get a ubiquiti access point and keep your modem if your modem itself is working fine (and turn off the built in wifi)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Make sense to me. Thanks.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
My Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite finally gave up the ghost after a poweroutage last week, so now I'm shopping around for a replacement.

I assume the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X would be my next logical router, but if I wanted to replace my aging wireless access point at the same time for a small 3 story townhome, what would be my best bet for a WAP from Ubiquiti?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

My Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite finally gave up the ghost after a poweroutage last week, so now I'm shopping around for a replacement.

I assume the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X would be my next logical router, but if I wanted to replace my aging wireless access point at the same time for a small 3 story townhome, what would be my best bet for a WAP from Ubiquiti?

A UAP-AC-LR if you think it will cover the entire house, a couple UAP-AC-Lites or UAP-AC LRs if you want to install a couple on different floors. The UAP-AC-LR will have a higher throughput than the UAP-AC-Lite.

The ER-X has passthrough PoE, meaning that if you power the ER-X with the UAP PoE injector, you can pass the power through to one UAP device. If you need to power multiple UAPs, then get the ER-X-SFP, which can send 24V passive PoE on all ports.

Edit: Can you describe how your ERLite died? There's a pretty long history of the flash memory stick in them dying, but you can buy a new memory stick, reflash it with the OS, and swap it out. Take a look at the UBNT community forums for detailed instructions and the image for the flash drive.

smax fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 30, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I currently have an Airport Express, but it's constantly loving up and I have to reboot it every day or two, so I'm in the market for a new router.

I've got Comcast, so I already have a modem, just need a wireless router. I live in a 2-story, 2500 sq ft house, so it's fairly large. Most of our devices are consolidated on the side of the house where the router resides, however. iPhones, iPads, desktop PC (wired), NAS (wired), laptop, PS4, and an AV receiver.

Is the OP still accurate for recommendations? Thinking about grabbing the TP-Link AC9. Or should I look at other options? $130 with free one-day shipping on Amazon currently.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 30, 2016

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

smax posted:

A UAP-AC-LR if you think it will cover the entire house, a couple UAP-AC-Lites or UAP-AC LRs if you want to install a couple on different floors. The UAP-AC-LR will have a higher throughput than the UAP-AC-Lite.

The ER-X has passthrough PoE, meaning that if you power the ER-X with the UAP PoE injector, you can pass the power through to one UAP device. If you need to power multiple UAPs, then get the ER-X-SFP, which can send 24V passive PoE on all ports.

Edit: Can you describe how your ERLite died? There's a pretty long history of the flash memory stick in them dying, but you can buy a new memory stick, reflash it with the OS, and swap it out. Take a look at the UBNT community forums for detailed instructions and the image for the flash drive.

Well for the past year I've been unable to access the GUI of the device, it gives me an ERROR 500 code. I did some research and it seems a simple firmware update will fix it....if I had a USB to serial adapter + rollover cable to actually get connected and perform the reset.

But because I'm :effort: I just left it like that forever since it was working.

Last week we had a sudden power outage, after which the device wouldn't hand out IP addresses, or get a public IP from the ISP (I assume). Directly connecting in to the ISP equipment lets us connect, and somehow they are handing out more than 1 public IP address, so connecting directly to the GB switch behind the EdgeRouter gives everyone internet access. Definitely not ideal, but it got us back online.

Today I took it to work and tried to console into the EdgeRouter with a Cisco rollover cable + usb to serial adapter I borrowed from a fellow engineer, however nothing we tried would give me console access, even following a factory firmware reset. And even after the reset I got the same error 500 on the UI I had before.

I figured at that point it probably just gave up and started looking for replacements.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is the OP still accurate for recommendations?
God drat I wish I could update the thread title to "Yes the OP is accurate, stop asking"

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

God drat I wish I could update the thread title to "Yes the OP is accurate, stop asking"

ponders leaving it...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just add an "Up-to-date as of 11/30/16" at the very top of the OP.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Well, there may be some revisions that need to be made. Apple dropping the Airport line will affect things long-term. Also there is an important distinction between the ER-X and the ER-X-SFP that should be made (ER-X has passthrough PoE on one port only, ER-X-SFP can do 24V PoE on all ports).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wicaeed posted:

Well for the past year I've been unable to access the GUI of the device, it gives me an ERROR 500 code. I did some research and it seems a simple firmware update will fix it....if I had a USB to serial adapter + rollover cable to actually get connected and perform the reset.

But because I'm :effort: I just left it like that forever since it was working.

Last week we had a sudden power outage, after which the device wouldn't hand out IP addresses, or get a public IP from the ISP (I assume). Directly connecting in to the ISP equipment lets us connect, and somehow they are handing out more than 1 public IP address, so connecting directly to the GB switch behind the EdgeRouter gives everyone internet access. Definitely not ideal, but it got us back online.

Today I took it to work and tried to console into the EdgeRouter with a Cisco rollover cable + usb to serial adapter I borrowed from a fellow engineer, however nothing we tried would give me console access, even following a factory firmware reset. And even after the reset I got the same error 500 on the UI I had before.

I figured at that point it probably just gave up and started looking for replacements.

Enterprise quality my rear end. I suggest getting Mikrotik HAP AC unless you need some kind of extreme speeds. Much easier to deal will all together.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Wicaeed posted:

USB to serial adapter + rollover cable to actually get connected and perform the reset.

the hardware reset button should have fixed your issue by resetting the device back to default settings so you can start over.

Wicaeed posted:

Yeah, a regular cisco cable works fine. Make sure your terminal is set to 115200bps. You can confirm this by connecting the console cable before plugging in the power cable. That way when you power it up you'll see all the hardware bootloader processes.

I'm betting you've got some fried memory chips, honestly.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 1, 2016

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Meh, a day later and for grand total of $16 I've got a brand new EdgeRouter X and Unify AP AC LITE from Amazon so daddy's set for the weekend :)

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 1, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Woah, $16 not bad - how'd you pull that off?

Also if you were trying to console into an er-x... welllllll

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Fil5000 posted:

What sort of speed broadband do you have and do you forsee shifting large amounts of data around your home network? It also depends on how good your electrical wiring is and how far the adaptors will be apart. Generally I'd go for the fastest ones you can afford though.

I got slowass uverse.. but i do a lot of streaming to my bedroom and kitchen.

i got the ac1200, and it is great, internet as 2x as fast, and streaming is good so far. I impressed, i went ahead and just ordered an ac2000.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Woah, $16 not bad - how'd you pull that off?

Also if you were trying to console into an er-x... welllllll

Amazon rewards points are a hell of a thing :)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Femur posted:

I got slowass uverse.. but i do a lot of streaming to my bedroom and kitchen.

i got the ac1200, and it is great, internet as 2x as fast, and streaming is good so far. I impressed, i went ahead and just ordered an ac2000.

Be aware you may already have maxed out the bandwidth your wiring can handle and the 2000 may not be any quicker. If it is though, hooray!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Was directed to the OP from another thread, but I think I fit somewhere in between two of the questions. I live in a small apartment, but I think I'll need whatever can get me the fastest speeds (I have a 100Mbps plan) for my gaming PC.

Here's a crosspost form that thread "I have Comcast XFINITY and I pay the $5 a month to use their combo router and modem unit. It's breaking slowly and I do not like it that much. I could easily go to Comcast and say "hey, I need a new one" but I figure, in the long run, it would actually be ten times easier, cheaper, and better to get some router with a separate modem altogether. Does anyone know what my best option would be if I'm also not trying to break the bank? I'm going to need at least 4 ethernet ports, 5GHz, and wifi (but I think that's naturally a given)."

smax
Nov 9, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

Was directed to the OP from another thread, but I think I fit somewhere in between two of the questions. I live in a small apartment, but I think I'll need whatever can get me the fastest speeds (I have a 100Mbps plan) for my gaming PC.

Here's a crosspost form that thread "I have Comcast XFINITY and I pay the $5 a month to use their combo router and modem unit. It's breaking slowly and I do not like it that much. I could easily go to Comcast and say "hey, I need a new one" but I figure, in the long run, it would actually be ten times easier, cheaper, and better to get some router with a separate modem altogether. Does anyone know what my best option would be if I'm also not trying to break the bank? I'm going to need at least 4 ethernet ports, 5GHz, and wifi (but I think that's naturally a given)."

For the modem: it's hard to go wrong with an Arris Surfboard. I'd suggest the SB6183, you can find them refurbished on Amazon or eBay for cheap sometimes.

For the router: how network/technically inclined are you? If you don't want to deal with setting things up too much, the TP-Link Archer C7 or C9 are safe bets. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty setting things up, then a Ubiquiti ER-X plus a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
My edgerouterX has arrived, not switched it on yet. Was expecting it to be small, but wow it's tiny, I'm not sure it could physically be any smaller with the 5 ports in there.

I've managed to export a CSV file from my Asus, with all my static dhcp mappings and names. What are the chances of importing this in some way into the edgerouterX without doing each manually? I've no prior experience with the erx's config, so don't yet know what options there are.

If I can't I might end up switching over to a 10.0.0.0 base rather than the 192.168.1.0 I'm on now. Though that's going to be a ball ache.

e: also what are my chances of running both a PIA client openvpn, and an openvpn server for remote access at the same time? Can it handle it or is it going to choke. Connection is approx only 75/20Mb, if that matters.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 3, 2016

smax
Nov 9, 2009

You can import the static mappings fairly easily. The backup file (boot.config) is just a big text file, as long as you know the format you can copy and paste the static mappings fairly easily. When you start setting up your ER-X, I'd suggest making one or two dummy static mappings to see what the format is, downloading the config backup, modifying it with your actual static mappings, then restoring from your modified config file.

As for OpenVPN, I wouldn't suggest running it on an ER-X since there is no hardware offloading (it's all done in software). Edgerouters have never had good OpenVPN performance. I'd host OpenVPN services on a computer, personally.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I recently got a Ubiquiti Amplifi mesh system to replace my C7. If your needs are just "plug in and forget it" I highly recommend this - it just works. I don't love that you use a smartphone app for configuration, but neither was it an issue at all - the app is intuitive. I was able to quickly reserve some static DHCP leases and set up port forwarding, which is about as advanced as this thing gets but also as advanced as my needs. I'd recommend it for most normal users, particularly parents.

One thing I don't like is the lack of USB ports - no adding drives or printers easily if that is something you need.

But the performance is excellent. I found that the base router has a much stronger signal than the C7, and then adding the two mesh points greatly enhanced the coverage throughout my sprawling house.

Which model did you get? Base, LR, or HD. I am looking at getting one of these mesh systems and the Amplifi seems to be a decent system.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I just got Gigabit internet, but I have no idea if my speed is correct. I know not to expect 1000MBps, but I figure 600-800 is realistic. I thought Speedtest.net was the benchmark, but I'm getting different numbers with every speed testing service.

quote:

Speedtest.net:
360 MBps down, 20 MBps up

My ISP's Speed Test:
821 MBps down, 22 MBps up

Measurementlab.net Test:
536 MBps down, 19 MBps up

Speedof.me Test:
252 MBps down, 17 MBps up

Testmy.net Test:
551 MBps down, 17 MBps up

DSL Reports.com:
841 MBps down, 23 MBps up

Sourceforge.net Speed Test:
1063 MBps down, 22 MBps up

AT&T Internet Speed Test:
264 MBps down, 21 MBps up

I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the 600-800 that is realistic with this service, but I don't know what speed test to believe. I've been tearing my hair out going through all of my network settings.

89 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 3, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
looks like you're getting it to me. Just because you can hit 800 to a site near you doesn't mean the rest of the internet is available to you at that speed, nor does it mean that your destination allows or has that much throughput available left to you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

89 posted:

I just got Gigabit internet, but I have no idea if my speed is correct. I know not to expect 1000MBps, but I figure 600-800 is realistic. I thought Speedtest.net was the benchmark, but I'm getting different numbers with every speed testing service.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the 600-800 that is realistic with this service, but I don't know what speed test to believe. I've been tearing my hair out going through all of my network settings.

For speeds that fast I believe the general recommendation is to use http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

god this blows posted:

Which model did you get? Base, LR, or HD. I am looking at getting one of these mesh systems and the Amplifi seems to be a decent system.

I just have the Amplifi base. It is more than enough for my coverage needs.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I just have the Amplifi base. It is more than enough for my coverage needs.

How are the speeds if you're connected to the mesh adapter?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

astral posted:

For speeds that fast I believe the general recommendation is to use http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

like this?

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

god this blows posted:

How are the speeds if you're connected to the mesh adapter?

I haven't done any real testing. My best response is "fast enough that I can't tell when I'm on the base station vs the mesh points." My internet connection is 50/5, it is more than good enough to saturate that even from the mesh points.

I could maybe try to do some better testing when I'm home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nice. Two gigabit comcast?