Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I just figured out this thread is loving stupid and you are all complicit in that idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I just figured out this thread is loving stupid and you are all complicit in that idiocy.

It took you this long?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Avenging_Mikon posted:

And now you're one of us!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think it's more that a lot of people are ignoring that as originally written and performed (by the songwriter and his wife no less, if you want to really establish intent) she absolutely does want to stay and is looking for a pretext to do so, social norms considered.

Changing social norms are one thing certainly, but there seems to be this push that the song was about date rape even then and we just didn't recognize it as such, which is not really true.

The song is dated, but that doesn't mean that consensual sex didn't exist in the past.

Yeah but nobody is looking up the cultural relevance of a song they hear randomly in the supermarket. It didn't quite sound as bad back then, and there's apparently this context that pretty much everyone misses where she also wants to stay. Nobody says consensual sex didn't exist, that's a weird thing to take from hearing the song 'sounds a bit aggressive' which is the actual intent of the complaint 'the song sounds sorta rapey'. The song can come across pretty gross even if it wasn't written with the intent of being gross, and even if the message is not gross when you fully understand the historical context of the song and the intent of the female partner in the back and forth, it can still, justifiably, make people feel skeeved out when they hear it.

Like, you and that other dude who got a rage boner when I called him out are just missing that people have opinions about media sometimes that aren't 100% based in facts. And that's an ok thing.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Winston Churchill posted:

"I may be stupid, madame, but you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I'll still be drunk. But like, not as much. Also not as much as you are ugly. Ugly bitch."

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Consensual sex doesn't exist period, hth

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Whose responsibility is it to explain historical and social context to dumb people?

Nobody's, especially not in this thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Consensual sex doesn't exist period, hth

What?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

All cis hetero sex is coercion and power dynamics

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

the future is WOW posted:

It's more that having a knee jerk response to song lyrics from 70 years ago because you can't be bothered to look up a little background on them is ridiculous.

But you rock on being the complete retard that you are, bro.

"You've got to consider the context!" says guy completely ignoring the context.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"rapey"

what a fun little adjective used by grown adults

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Captain Monkey posted:

Like, you and that other dude who got a rage boner when I called him out are just missing that people have opinions about media sometimes that aren't 100% based in facts. And that's an ok thing.

Come on man, that was hardly a rage boner. I got annoyed because you completely ignored what I was saying in favor of posting a douchey reply to something you thought I said. Yeah, no poo poo old songs are gonna acquire different interpretations as they age and of course it's ok to have opinions about media that aren't based in fact. But the songwriter's intent, which is what I was talking about, has nothing to do with either of those things. And in a thread about stuff you just figured out, where a bunch of people are talking about figuring out that this holiday classic seems to be about a sexual predator, I don't really see what the problem is with saying 'hey, it's actually a playful back and forth between consenting adults according to the people who wrote and sang it'.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the future is WOW posted:

you completely ignored what I was saying in favor of posting a douchey reply to something you thought I said

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pastry of the Year posted:

"rapey"

what's little about it?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

what's little about it?

Five letters, two syllables, ends in a traditionally diminutive long-e sound, fits easily into a resealable sandwich bag for on-the-go snacking

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Five letters, two syllables, ends in a traditionally diminutive long-e sound, fits easily into a resealable sandwich bag for on-the-go snacking

that seems reasonable

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"rapey"

Brought to you by the generation that wants college to not teach uncomfortable topics.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did anyone suggest changing the genders of the singers yet?
:goonsay:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

pls dont slutshame the hypothetical singers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon Levitt did a couple years back.

https://youtu.be/ZtoW4aV-CIc

Len has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Dec 4, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon Levitt did a couple years back.

On the Muppet Show :lol:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jerry Cotton posted:

On the Muppet Show :lol:

You got a problem with Muppets? :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

You got a problem with Muppets? :colbert:

I do when they glorify rape. (Which they didn't on this occasion.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

I do when they glorify rape. (Which they didn't on this occasion.)

yea that episode where they tried to get "real" was weird as gently caress

ms piggy crying and moaning and kermit just wont stop. very uncomfortable

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

yea that episode where they tried to get "real" was weird as gently caress

ms piggy crying and moaning and kermit just wont stop. very uncomfortable

Still better than the original version though.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/jim-hensons-newly-discovered-journal-reveals-muppe-3483

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

totally. thank god they toned it down

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just learned that the weakest enemy in Super Mario World aren't Goombas that were just drawn differently, but are actually something different, called Galoombas.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you're going to be your normal aspie self, in SMW they're still Goombas according to literature of the time. It wasn't until 3D world they were differentiated.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just found out the song is called Love Train, not Love Chain

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

what's little about it?

It's relevance in any meaningful discussion.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

holy poo poo kelly bundy is the same actress that also played veronica corningstone

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maga and "Maga hats" stand for make america great again, trump's catchphrase, rather than a brand racists like.

I knew the phrase well, but I thought "maga" was like a lovely brand like "underarmor" that the trump voting demographic liked to wear.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You're thinking of tapout.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JoelJoel posted:

You're thinking of tapout.

Isn't that the green rangers clothing line?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Clickhole is usually better at headlines than articles but those journal entries are great, they read like Brad Neely's Babycakes or M R Cracker posts (he was a particularly funny gimmick account). Something about the odd repeated phrasings, things like "when the muppets are in the world..."

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Mammoths were actually smaller than Elephants.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But sabre-toothed tigers were bigger than regular tigers, right?

Otherwise what is even the point of these prehistoric animals

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

But sabre-toothed tigers were bigger than regular tigers, right?

Otherwise what is even the point of these prehistoric animals

You mean saber-toothed cat, no close relation to tigers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Mammoths were actually smaller than Elephants.

Not really.

Wikipedia posted:

Like their modern relatives, mammoths were quite large. The largest known species reached heights in the region of 4 m (13 ft) at the shoulder and weights of up to 8 tonnes(8.8 short tons), while exceptionally large males may have exceeded 12 tonnes (13 short tons). However, most species of mammoth were only about as large as a modern Asian elephant (which are about 2.5 m to 3 m high at the shoulder, and rarely exceeding 5 tonnes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Jerry Cotton posted:

You mean saber-toothed cat, no close relation to tigers.

The Smilodon subspecies of the sabre-toothed cats is also known as “sabre-toothed tigers“. The largest ones were about the same size as modern tigers, even if they're not related. They only lived in the Americas, though. Common speech calls other sabre-toothed cats in Europe “tigers“ as well, I'm guessing because a) it sounds cooler and b) most people don't have the foggiest about paleobiology