Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought it was neat how telling Traynor what seems like standard good guy advice of "go out and do good works so you can be proud of who you are" is the best way to get her murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah, PS3 version has all the DLC except Arrival and the extra skins on it. It's on the disc so you don't need to download anything. I bought the trilogy for a friend in EU and it was retardedly expensive on the EU store and impossible to find a physical copy - might wanna create a US account and buy some gift cards on Amazon to pay for it and get it from the PS store. Ended up saving something ridiculous like $90 for buying him the trilogy that way.

Alright cool, thanks for the info :) Seems like I can get a new physical copy of ME2 on PS3 for about £7-ish here in the UK, which seems significantly cheaper than buying ME2 on Origin plus Bioware points poo poo for the DLC (even if it was on sale). So maybe the best thing to do is to buy that, or see what the PSN Christmas sales have to offer.

You know I had some hope that EA would stick these games on GOG.com, since they recently added a bunch of stuff there. DRM-free complete editions of the trilogy on PC would just be amazing. But no, obviously that'd be way too awesome for EA to consider doing.

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 3, 2016

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought it was neat how telling Traynor what seems like standard good guy advice of "go out and do good works so you can be proud of who you are" is the best way to get her murdered.

Isn't that Kelly Chambers?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Ah good thing we stopped discussing the ending that destroyed the series and is responsible for the ridiculous premise of the new game so we could get right back to discussing NPC underwear and how cool it is she's sexually aggressive towards the PC.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Have they said much about the backstory of the game yet? Like that one video said "the remaining 20,000 humans" are on that big spaceship so like by that do they mean all the humans in existence or something? I've poked around a little but I haven't found much information on why they're leaving for Andromeda.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^- They're deliberately not sayign as far as I know. The arks went out pre-ME3 and now have hundreds of years to wait before news hits them.

I hope we get some neat non-humanoids in ME:A. First contact stuff is almost always my favorite. I want translator problems, misunderstandings, and disparate tech levels.

Do we know anything about how they're handling exploration of the galaxy? Like, in ME we had the mass relays to excuse the fact that you poke around isolated islands in space -- I always figured those were just systems close by. Honestly I think there was still ground to cover in the milky way with dark systems and places relays weren't. Non-relay FTL is relatively pokey, right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Serf posted:

Have they said much about the backstory of the game yet? Like that one video said "the remaining 20,000 humans" are on that big spaceship so like by that do they mean all the humans in existence or something? I've poked around a little but I haven't found much information on why they're leaving for Andromeda.

No, some humans were on the Nexus that left before the Ark. The remaining humans of the Initiative are on the Ark.

The Nexus had a combination of races all on it and will be the explanation why some areas will already have populations when you get there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't that Kelly Chambers?

Yeah, my mistake.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was some new gameplay released recently .

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Ah good thing we stopped discussing the ending that destroyed the series and is responsible for the ridiculous premise of the new game so we could get right back to discussing NPC underwear and how cool it is she's sexually aggressive towards the PC.

The fact that you care about how they "destroyed a series" is loving hilarious. Let it go.

euphronius posted:

there was, and it was pretty baller

Serf
May 5, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

No, some humans were on the Nexus that left before the Ark. The remaining humans of the Initiative are on the Ark.

The Nexus had a combination of races all on it and will be the explanation why some areas will already have populations when you get there.

Okay, thanks I had it backwards. Makes sense then why there are settlements with all these old aliens in them.

I like the idea that there won't be classes and you can make a build yourself. I hope they use that for MP as well. But I'm not keen on them taking out the pausing and ordering in combat, that was really fun to me.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The fact that you care about how they "destroyed a series" is loving hilarious. Let it go.

Is NPC underwear really a good direction for this thread to go though? Let's hope Bioware actually learned something from their mistakes and doesn't cock this up too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

euphronius posted:

Yes, some was released on the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4

This one ?

Edit

Thanks

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is NPC underwear really a good direction for this thread to go though? Let's hope Bioware actually learned something from their mistakes and doesn't cock this up too.

don't worry, if DAI is any indication all of your squadmates will have a nude scene

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This, but unironically.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also count me as a weirdo who likes resource gathering and crafting. I like fiddling with stuff and customizing equipment. It makes gear feel a lot cooler.

But I think it should also be totally optional and you could just buy/loot stuff that works too.

Here's hoping the planets all have pretty big areas to explore like in Inquisition, because that was my favorite thing about that game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lighting in that gameplay looks really good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The premise of the new game is actually really cool

Exploring a new galaxy together with a fleet of aliens from the previous one is a Good Premise

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

The premise of the new game is actually really cool

Exploring a new galaxy together with a fleet of aliens from the previous one is a Good Premise

Unironically agreed.

I am just highly skeptical that these clownshoes can do the premise justice.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Thirding this. Exploring a whole new galaxy is the basis of a lot of cool sci-fi stories. It's even been said that things as big as Star Trek were heading in that direction until Voyager basically smothered the tv franchise with a pillow.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The little words above the enemies are so god drat ugly, jesus gently caress. Best be an option to turn that shits off.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ooooh Neeeeeeill!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

marshmallow creep posted:

No kidding. I'm not expecting them to do a CD Projekt Red and make eye and eyebrow movements so nuanced I can read Geralt's mind, but there has to be something there. From the nose up that is plainly a puppet.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Actually you should expect this

Just to echo this a bit, when will we start seeing games that look at the more brilliant elements of Witcher and rip them off? The facial animations and overall writing for Witcher 3 are loving incredible and could be easily imitated by the other AAA RPGs but maybe it's too early to expect that.

Like future Fallout games should look to The Witcher as to how to write a modern RPG in an adult setting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I really hope bioware does something about the emotionless dead faces before the release

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol they won't.

They had how long to polish this poo poo for a huge reveal trailer at a major industry trade show?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

don't worry, if DAI is any indication all of your squadmates will have a nude scene

Far from it. Two of the more popular DAI romances - Josephine and Solas - involve no nudity whatsoever and don't have a sex scene at all.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Solas dumps you before you can get sexy time so he doesn't really count.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Far from it. Two of the more popular DAI romances - Josephine and Solas - involve no nudity whatsoever and don't have a sex scene at all.

yes I know I was joking about nudity in video games

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thorsilver posted:

Thanks, that's a useful summary. Seems like I've got a lot to look forward to with ME2, and with ME3 I'll just have to prepare myself for the story collapsing entirely. Honestly if the gameplay holds up and there's enough good character moments I'll probably cope reasonably well with that.

The Citadel DLC is kind of a character send-off of sorts, isn't it? I'll definitely be wanting that if that's the case.

Citadel was an ending retcon that Bioware wasn't willing to call such. It makes no sense when presented during the war.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Citadel was an ending retcon that Bioware wasn't willing to call such. It makes no sense when presented during the war.

my favorite part from Citadel is when Anderson -- who is leading a resistance on Earth against an omnigenocidal enemy that outclasses his forces entirely -- uses a rare and expensive quantum entanglement communicator to give Shepard the keys to his sweet bachelor pad

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah citadel was pretty stupid

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Your gimmick posting is pretty stupid. :shepface:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

If by stupid, you mean great then yes it was.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Why do I feel like there's a big overlap between people who think the ME3 ending was good and people who don't see Citadel for what it is.....

Citadel was very fun but it was stupid as hell. It was the monkey cheese dlc

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I didn't write this but I agree with it

quote:

It's basically everything wrong with Mass Effect in one final DLC.

What was once Revelation Space: THE GAME, has become a loving space based slice of life anime. From a grand space opera with an interesting setting, story, and characters to rival that of a 70s science fiction novel to a loving space based slice of life tumblrfest.

There's nothing going on in that DLC, it's just characters doing something retarded. It's not a gaming DLC, it's something losers with no lives substitute with actual social interaction, and that whole DLC is full of it. It's a weird engine for weird lonely people to self insert themselves into and make themselves feel better about their own lack of a social life.

They just embarrassed themselves with this DLC. Most of the inside joke/referential humor will go over the head of anyone who doesn't frequent the BSN. The "quality" of the interaction is groan-worthy. The DLC misleads the player about the nature of how they'll get ME2 squadmates back on their squad (it's just in a simulator, not in any missions). This DLC is supposed to be a send-off for the series and an opportunity for everyone to get some more time in with their favorite bros. What sucks about it is that it's poorly-written, awkward, misleading fanpandering backed up by a laughable plot. A Shepard clone? Not so far-fetched, if it had been done justice, but it wasn't, and such a concept should have been done in the base game.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I didn't write this but I agree with it

I loathe the ending. Citadel is fun, something that ME1 and ME2 were, but ME3 wasn't because it was all super serious.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Why do I feel like there's a big overlap between people who think the ME3 ending was good and people who don't see Citadel for what it is.....

Citadel was very fun but it was stupid as hell. It was the monkey cheese dlc

Actually I'd suppose the opposite. People who play Mass Effect as a friendship simulator love Citadel for its Priority: Have A Party mission but hate the ending because it kills all their fake, dumb friends.

e: but lol if you thought "Shepard has an evil clone" was gonna be the premise for a serious, thoughtful sci-fi story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lt. Danger posted:

Actually I'd suppose the opposite. People who play Mass Effect as a friendship simulator love Citadel for its Priority: Have A Party mission but hate the ending because it kills all their fake, dumb friends.

e: but lol if you thought "Shepard has an evil clone" was gonna be the premise for a serious, thoughtful sci-fi story

I love the individual squadmate scenes in Citadel with a few exceptions (EDI, Jacob, Traynor's apartment visit if you're not romancing her), but don't care for the party itself.

On the other hand, I usually spend more time in the combat arena than on the entire rest of Citadel. That thing is addictive.