Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Concerned Citizen posted:

So what should she say that isn't a vague or empty reassurance?

anything that isnt your jobs are dead would help lol. phrasing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That platform being "We will break up your town for scrap and sell the result to our friends at Wall Street and hope it will somehow help you (lol)"

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
"We're going to put a lot of coal companies out of business and create new silicon factory jobs in coal communities"

plz hire me Abuelita

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You know, it's common sense. She needs to be informative without being boring, be concrete without boring people with details, tell them your way is better without lecturing, be likeable but not pandering, and of course, smile more.

Meanwhile, Trump can just scream whatever poo poo pops into his monkey brain and they will love him by default.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
can we stop talking about hillary as if she's ever going to run again? it's very disturbing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are very salty about your candidate being a lizard person, Fulchrum.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Why are you even complaining anymore, you have yourself given up on your platform as impossible to promote and make popular, so why what drives you to continue your incessant whining?

rhymes with "galt"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Darkman Fanpage posted:

can we stop talking about hillary as if she's ever going to run again? it's very disturbing.
need you be reminded who specifically is posting in the thread

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

can't wait until people start getting probated for general election salt

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernie's saying so many weird things now!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i voted for hillary because 1) i live in a swing state 2) she was a slightly less unhinged capitalist. i still feel dirty about it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Bernie's saying so many weird things now!

i like your av because it is a cute shibe saying things

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

So what should she say that isn't a vague or empty reassurance?

"I will bring safer and better paying jobs to the region so that you can build a better future for you and your family."
"A vote for me is a vote for a more stable career and for protecting the unique beauty of this wonderful state."

Or really just anything that isn't "I'm going to gently caress you like I'm going to gently caress the coal companies."

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i like your av because it is a cute shibe saying things

and it isn't a slime man with a mouth booger

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is coming down to "say exactly what she said but treat them like 5 year olds and pretend their current jobs aren't going anywhere".

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i was going to vote for hillary until people started arguing that she was not just the lesser of two evils but was in fact a good person and a good candidate with a good ideology and i simply could not let that stand

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

This is coming down to "say exactly what she said but treat them like 5 year olds and pretend their current jobs aren't going anywhere".
yeah if you had the reading comprehension of a 5 year old i can see how you can come to that conclusion

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fulchrum posted:

So you're saying she didn't brag about putting coal miners "out of business"?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

and it isn't a slime man with a mouth booger

i gagged everytime i saw it and remembered lol

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MizPiz posted:

So you're saying she didn't brag about putting coal miners "out of business"?

I very clearly said that the difference between what she said and what would totally have worked was pretending the jobs wouldn't go away.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i voted for hillary because 1) i live in a swing state 2) she was a slightly less unhinged capitalist. i still feel dirty about it.

Hillary was objectively the best choice out of her, Trump, Johnson, and Stein, but as I voted for her I was still thinking about how smug the centrist wing would be when she won

I forgot there was a possible different outcome wherein they're not smug at all, but it doesn't really make me feel any better :smith:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

quote:

While recognizing we must accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy, Hillary would spend $30 billion to create a federal backstop to protect retired miners’ benefits, to expand broadband, infrastructure and job training, and to establish a new fund to foster locally-driven economic development in coal communities, among other proposals. Additionally, Hillary supports the Miners Protection Act and has called on Congress to pass it before thousands of retirees and dependents lose their benefits later this year.
Maybe emphasizing this would have been nice? Never even heard of this program during the entire campaign....

Machin's still out there fighting for this apparently: http://wvmetronews.com/2016/12/01/manchin-ready-to-keep-congress-in-session-if-theres-no-vote-on-miners-protection-act/

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

deadgoon posted:

i was going to vote for hillary until people started arguing that she was not just the lesser of two evils but was in fact a good person and a good candidate with a good ideology and i simply could not let that stand

she wants to be a good person but she's terrible at it

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fulchrum posted:

I very clearly said that the difference between what she said and what would totally have worked was pretending the jobs wouldn't go away.

Yes, but she very clearly, and enthusiastically, said that she was wanted to be the one responsible for making them unemployed.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

anime was right posted:

anything that isnt your jobs are dead would help lol. phrasing matters.

Well, that's not exactly what she said but essentially yes it's true. She ran on helping coal workers transition out of coal. Trump lied and said he'd save all the coal jobs. So yeah, he's going to win coal country. And the idea that there's some magical silica factory boom that will replace all the coal jobs in 15 years is a joke. Appalachia has one good job - coal - and it will take decades of development to change that. So when Hillary talks about development and incentives to move businesses there, that's what she is talking about. But the reality is there isn't actually an alternative to this. It's the only thing federal government can really do.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Nothing would surprise me anymore so i wouldn't discount it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I haven't posted much because I feel politically underinformed, but I had been enjoying the Hussain/chemzes twitter that got posted here, but it's apparently gone? Anyone know what happened?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Well, that's not exactly what she said but essentially yes it's true. She ran on helping coal workers transition out of coal. Trump lied and said he'd save all the coal jobs. So yeah, he's going to win coal country. And the idea that there's some magical silica factory boom that will replace all the coal jobs in 15 years is a joke. Appalachia has one good job - coal - and it will take decades of development to change that. So when Hillary talks about development and incentives to move businesses there, that's what she is talking about. But the reality is there isn't actually an alternative to this. It's the only thing federal government can really do.
Could have pandered about shale jobs replacing coal jobs like Trump, it's not like she's against unconventional energy? :shrug:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

what would also help is if we had unraveled the years of lobbying and outright lying done by the coal barons to undermine solar

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2016/12/02/environment-america-issues-fierce-block-the-sun-report/

the fact that china has to output solar panels out the rear end to get the US to care is another reason why we're becoming an economical laughingstock technologically

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I like how you just throw the word enthusiastically on there, like she said it while cackling and rubbing a cat.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

I like how you just throw the word enthusiastically on there, like she said it while cackling and rubbing a cat.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hillary clinton is an idiot

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

AceRimmer posted:

Could have pandered about shale jobs replacing coal jobs like Trump, it's not like she's against unconventional energy? :shrug:

Trump actually claimed he would bring coal jobs back. I guess Democrats could outright lie, if not
for the fact that our party is against coal. Obama's Clean Power Plan would have cut coal output by 30% in a few years. So the morally right thing to do is to start talking about life after coal and not pretend like we're going to save those jobs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fulchrum: "gently caress you, your jobs are dead and I don't give a gently caress about what you are going to do, now vote for my perfect candidate"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"I will deprive your towns of livelihood, and I won't even bother to visit them to see what I'm destroying" - Margaret Thatcher - Hillary Clinton

Clinton's plan to destroy coal jobs, while at its core reasonable, was just a mirror image of the Thatcher policy, a decision made with no regard for the well being of the people affected by it, and destined to ruin generations of lives in wide swathes of the country (see: Scotland, Wales, Midlands today)

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Dec 3, 2016

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
it's not like that coal bullshit didn't cost her the election ffs, who cares

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

That's a very specific image

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Trump actually claimed he would bring coal jobs back. I guess Democrats could outright lie, if not
for the fact that our party is against coal. Obama's Clean Power Plan would have cut coal output by 30% in a few years. So the morally right thing to do is to start talking about life after coal and not pretend like we're going to save those jobs.

right, you sell it as an improvement of whats there. but you never, ever say that you're going to destroy a job, ever. "your coal jobs will be clean energy jobs. they will pay you more and be better for your health". but her phrasing was awful lol. plus, i mean she lied about fracking so who gives a poo poo about her and energy at this point.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

It's "nonpartisan" in the USA because both parties unequivocally support Israel

True.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

"I will deprive your towns of livelihood, and I won't even bother to visit them to see what I'm destroying" - Margaret Thatcher - Hillary Clinton

"I will not and can not bring back jobs to your meth addled ghost town that was built around a dying industry" is more like it

• Locked thread