Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chelb posted:

look at this loving post

i'd rather not please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Josh Lyman posted:

1) Jagchosis' statement is factually incorrect. I did not opine on the sexual attractiveness of any minor.

2) My second statement was playing devil's advocate. I do not condone pedophilia.

3) Since many of you seem more interested in what feels more fun than what's actually true, I'll leave you to the fun.

Didn't realize Mr Trump had an account here

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
"Man, this is some excellent devil's advocacy I'm doing", josh lyman says as he opens up Tor

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's a special occasion thing (monster rib-eyes are expensive) but this is the best steak I've ever made by a good distance
http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/tagliata-of-bone-in-rib-eye-with-arugula/
(I separate the salad, together is fine but I prefer them separate)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Good Morning Dad Chat, whats up

Oh I see

:11tea:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

blowfish posted:

Amazing, it only took half an hour for this post to generate a retarded redtext (e: screenshotted 18:04).

turns out I was right!

just lol

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
someone's been buying redtexts like those for a while now, ever since the posting ghettos were created.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Known fact and science lovers: the nazis.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pangstrom posted:

It's a special occasion thing (monster rib-eyes are expensive) but this is the best steak I've ever made by a good distance
http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/tagliata-of-bone-in-rib-eye-with-arugula/
(I separate the salad, together is fine but I prefer them separate)
nice to meet you, mario

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nice to meet you, mario

That recipe reminded me that arugula gate was a thing in America. :allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

american food fetishism, smh

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Chelb posted:

look at this loving post

if i just calmly explain to these posters my point of view, they will be sure to see the truth in how great i am

ugh they still mock me. how irrational!!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

american food fetishism, smh

american food fetishism is far better than american pedophilia

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Randler posted:

dijon mustard gate was also a thing

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm the guy in the Europe thread complaining about gentrification in sweden

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joan-williams/obama-eats-arugula_b_106166.html

quote:

There was a flood of comments to my first post, all the way from, “Uneducated voters respond well to pandering,” to “[The working class] needs be respected and their views listened to. But too often their views are not in their best interest.... How do you get them to leave the security of the pain they know?”

Already we have started a conversation about the hidden injuries of class (second quote) and flushed out the disrespect that turns those injuries into a corrosive force that alienates the white working class from the Democratic Party (first quote).

This is the key to American politics since 1970. No kidding: the Dems won the presidency 7 out of 10 times between 1932 and 1968, when the white working class formed a core of the New Deal Coalition. Only two Democrats have won since then — good ol’ boys Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. You may have noticed that, in this election, the Democrats have eschewed the good ol’ boy option.

So now it’s time to face up to how the Dems lost their cultural dominance: the white working class abandoned them. More on that later. For now, the basic point: most of the comments assume that the key to winning working class votes lies in changing what the Dems say about economics. This may be partly right, but the threshold problem is cultural.

Remember arugula-gate, when Obama asked Iowa, “Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately? See what they charge for arugula?” This was only one of a long series of Democratic food gaffes. Howard Dean was decried as a “latte-drinking” elitist, Dukakis got into trouble with Belgian endive.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg lettuce. The professional elite is singularly clueless about how food and other taken-for-granted aspects of their lifestyle serve as “class acts.” Think of the class structure of coffee, from the lowly 8 oz. cup of joe at Dunkin’ Donuts to the $4 venti caramel macciato. Starbucks has made it all too obvious that food is a central way we enact class status.

Sociologist Marjorie DeVault documents two distinctive food cultures in Feeding the Family. The working class respects and expects food that is plentiful and familiar (think: Red Lobster). The upper middle class treats food as a field of knowledge and values novelty (think: Alice Waters).

That’s why salad greens are divisive. Obama’s campaign is to recognize the ways Obama is sending out alienating signals of class privilege in an entirely unselfconscious way (rather than denying that there’s a problem, see this.)

Obama is vulnerable here because he is a high-human capital intellectual who is upper middle class through and through. It’s great when Michelle talks about being brought up in a family with only four spoons, but Barack — who has spent most of his life bridging the racial divide as only the son of an anthropologist could — now needs to spend more time studying the natives of his own country.

I’m not talking about the white working class. I’m talking about us — the elite. We’ll begin that process in my next post.

Follow Joan Williams on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i.. uhh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Salad Greens are Divisive

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

wow i forgot how tedious huffpo was

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

When I buy a coffee or ice tea from Starbucks I make sure to post about it on the super secret bourgeois facebook

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

When I buy a coffee or ice tea from Starbucks I make sure to post about it on the super secret bourgeois facebook

who was that one lady who was talking ten years go about the class divides between myspace and facebook

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Hollismason posted:

you buy coffee or tea instead of caramel macchiatos or chai tea lattes?

i suspect you of not in fact being bougie at all!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

i made salsa

it is very good

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Chelb posted:

i made salsa

it is very good

did you make it with peas and saffron just like the NYT?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

stone cold posted:

did you make it with peas and saffron just like the NYT?

:getout:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hollismason posted:

http://www.affluence.org/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

or is it https://richkids.life/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

to be fair if anyone shops at starbucks they deserve to be loving culled

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why do we have two threads where people can talk about how racism doesn't matter

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

what's the other thread?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

what's the other thread?

the left wing media thread and the identity politics thread

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Badger of Basra posted:

the left wing media thread and the identity politics thread

dont forget the what happened thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

dont forget the what happened thread
surely the white culture thread

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
i went to a russian grocery place and got some different types of preserved and dried fish to eat

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

surely the white culture thread

the wise sage told me that all threads are white culture threads except for the posting ghettos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rear end struggle posted:

i went to a russian grocery place and got some different types of preserved and dried fish to eat
vobla is very popular to be had with beers, it's sort of a "classy village redneck" version of sunflower seeds

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
do I need to wash them like salt cod?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Trump's apparently taking sides in India-Pakistan, too!

I knew Trump would be bad but this is exceeding expectations.

i just want to point out that a fair amount of indian americans voted for trump because they were expecting him to take sides. just not, you know, the muslim side

once again people who voted for trump getting immediately owned before he's even in office

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haha, if they think that starbucks coffee is the status king of the heap they're a low class loving rube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

who was that one lady who was talking ten years go about the class divides between myspace and facebook

tbf 10 years ago there actually was one since facebook was still only open to college students/faculty at the time

• Locked thread