Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I, for one, doubt very much that Kazami was just on the radio. I'm glad she's (silently) pushing Watase to keep going, though. Hopefully, she can calm down the others, though it might take a bit to get them to come around on Watase again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Remember the days when people were saying things like "I might enjoy this more as a rescue procedural than anything else"? I remember them. They were simpler times.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OddHaberdasher posted:

Remember the days when people were saying things like "I might enjoy this more as a rescue procedural than anything else"? I remember them. They were simpler times.

I have to say, your reactions are the best thing about this LP. I have to shut up about a lot of the theorizing, but the pure reactions are great. Just having a picture of dead Yuuri on my screen and Danaru's post, which just consisted of "WHAT THE gently caress", directly below it was beautiful.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Just noticed this, but you've been pulling the wrong Ena portraits for a while to use as her standard portraits.

When I went through this, I ended up having a higher Sense for Ena than the LP did, so this wasn't quite as much of a shock to as it's been to everyone else. Can't say it hasn't been highly amusing watching the reactions, though - I've been waiting for this point to come along.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Just noticed this, but you've been pulling the wrong Ena portraits for a while to use as her standard portraits.

Hm? I've always been using the same image for Ena. You're going to have to elaborate on that one.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheMcD posted:

Hm? I've always been using the same image for Ena. You're going to have to elaborate on that one.

Those are...slightly pulled from a different route.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Those are...slightly pulled from a different route.

Oh. Eh, it doesn't really matter. Ena shows up in the other route and has glasses there. I guess that's a spoiler?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
This might be pure coincidence, but going off the 'mental interference' hypothesis, of the three people who were not affected Kazami is the most interesting. Ena was mentioned by Salyu to have 'closed off her heart' (whatever that means) and at this point it's probably safe to say the only reason Watase isn't under the (hypothetical) control of this person, is because he's probably already under the control of someone else. Kazami though, with her 'radio call' and all, it seems like the pieces are falling into place. I wonder how long that feeling will last.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

I have to say, your reactions are the best thing about this LP. I have to shut up about a lot of the theorizing, but the pure reactions are great. Just having a picture of dead Yuuri on my screen and Danaru's post, which just consisted of "WHAT THE gently caress", directly below it was beautiful.

It's still how I feel :saddowns: Honestly I've considered just buying the game and playing it myself, but I still want to be able to theorize with everyone in the thread :v: I'll buy it when we're done because god drat it's fantastic, but I still want to throw out my crazy theories.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Yuuri was obviously a ghost all along.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This whole game summed up into one smilie:

:tinfoil:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

This whole game summed up into one smilie:

:tinfoil:

Watase's situation in a single picture:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cause: 09/16/2030, 14:25

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Yes...

Watase and Ena had escaped their pursuers and were now hiding in a room in Area 2's inner ring.

...I didn't expect things to turn violent so suddenly.
Well, it's not that surprising... not when you consider the number of dead bodies we've seen. I can understand how their anger and impatience are driving them crazy...
True... but that really was a close call back there. If they'd caught us-- then they might have very well killed us for all we know.
Killed us...!? Wait, are you serious!? You don't honestly think they'd go that far, do you!? They're still our companions!

A stern expression appeared on Ena's face when she heard his protests.

You still don't get it? The thing that's truly frightening in this hell isn't fire or radiation-- It's people. Yes... nothing is more terrifying than the raw malice of someone with their back to the wall.

Watase gasped.

But now that things had gone to hell, it was likely the other way around.

(What happens when the ''human will to survive'' transcends ''human morals''...? Does it become the will to survive... ''even at the cost of killing others''!? Or maybe it becomes the conviction that ''killing others is justifiable if it means protecting someone else''...!)

In any normal situation, Ukita and Jun would probably never even dream about considering those things. But now everyone's lives were at risk. Their morals were most likely being shaved down to a layer of thin ice. Possibly enough to justify murder in their minds--

(Dammit, how did things come to this... Why!? I thought we were all on the same side here...!)

The problem was whether the others felt the same way. And they probably didn't.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

...Hey, can I ask you a question?
What?
Why did you stick up for me back there? Regardless of what I remember, that video footage proves that I'm suspicious.
Weren't you the one who told me to doubt everything? So why are you...

Faced with the others having seemingly gone mad, and beginning to doubt even his own memories, Watase wondered what Ena was truly after. Ena then spoke in a somewhat hesitant voice.

...Because I want to know what your real motives are too.
...?
Hey... you said that you saw Ms. Yuuri's body, right? How do you explain that?
I... think it was my eyes playing tricks on me, just like the old man said. I'm suffering from memory impairment, and I've been in contaminated zones a few times... It wouldn't be odd for me to be seeing things.

He was reminded of something Kazami had said way back then. ''Radiation exposure causes severely negative effects on the human body. This includes skin inflammation, nausea, organ failure, brain cell damage, vision impairment, neurological disorders, genetic disorders, and cancer.'' --Vision impairment, neurological disorders, and brain cell damage. Any one of those could have caused Watase to hallucinate seeing a corpse.

And to be honest... I've been hearing this auditory hallucination from time to time ever since I woke up.
...An auditory hallucination?
Yeah... I figured you'd all think I was nuts if I mentioned it, so I've been keeping quiet about it this whole time... At first, I thought it was being caused by that 'BC thing you mentioned earlier. But... the auditory hallucination aside, there's no such BC out there that can cause someone to hallucinate, right?
Y-you're right...
So maybe... I've just gone crazy. Simple as that.

Feelings of abandonment seized Watase. The Procyon's reading was at ''5672 mSv''. They had less than an hour until their next AD injection. At this radiation level, they'd instantly show life-threatening symptoms of radiation exposure once their AD wore off.

...I mean, think about it: it's been a real long time since it passed the first danger standard. It's been a few hours since the AD has stopped being enough to protect us from the radiation here... so it's not surprising I've been hallucinating.

Watase shuddered. Ena then quietly spoke up.

True... but you know what? There's something else that's been bothering me.
Huh?
You said that it's not surprising that on top of your memory impairment, you've been hallucinating thanks to your trips to the contaminated zones, right? But what if radiation wasn't the cause of your hallucinations?
...What?
I remember reading something about this before. It's true that radiation can cause vision impairment-- But that only refers to your sight getting blurry and becoming nearsighted-- there was nothing in there about seeing things that aren't actually there.
Then what's really causing my hallucinations?
Got any ideas?
...Nope.

Ena's words only served to confuse Watase further.

...But I could be suffering from brain cell damage and neurological disorders. If my brain and nerves got all messed up, then it's not implausible for me to be seeing things, right?
True, but... there's something else bothering me. Take a look at this.

Ena took out her PDA. She then fiddled around with it, causing words to appear on the screen.

...What's this?
You remember how Mr. Ukita was yelling at me when I was looking around the neuroscience laboratory all by myself?
Yeah, now that you mention it...
The truth is, his anger was more justified than he thought. I secretly copied data from the neuroscience laboratory's computers onto my PDA.
You did what!? Why!?
I was already convinced by that point that this accident was no ordinary accident. It's odd that it would take nine hours for them to lift the lockdown, isn't it? So I was wondering if there was some other reason for that...
Good question...
But the data I copied was all encrypted. I've tried decrypting it by myself for the time being... but most of the data's damaged.

Watase remembered that Ena had indeed been fiddling around with her PDA from time to time in the last few hours for some reason.

So you weren't actually checking your map, but instead trying to decrypt the data?
Yes. I was able to discover some barely readable data as a result.

Ena then handed over her PDA to Watase. On-screen was what appeared to be sentences from a report of sorts.

There were several words there that caught Watase's interest. ''Subject****as born in LABO.'' ''It is Subject****t ****need to be careful****ut.'' But in spite of that--

None of this makes sense... what are they even talking about?
Well, the title is apparently 'Case N Specifications Alteration Proposal'-- But as you see, the data's so encrypted that you can barely read any of it in this state. The same goes for the rest. But I've managed to extract several lines with the tools I have on hand... and I've found several strange words. This is the part I really wanted to show you. Hey, do any of these mean anything to you?

Ena fiddled with her PDA again, this time bringing up a fully comprehensible list.

--!

Watase felt chills run down his spine with each phrase he saw. There were multiple unknown phrases in that mix. He felt a strange yet severe sense of discomfort. But it was soon cast aside for another emotion.

Subject N... IGF2R Gene!?

His heart shook from those phrases. He could feel a pitch black emotion-- a mix of fear, anger, and hatred-- welling up from the bottom of his heart like a geyser.

Captain Kasasagi, do you recognize these terms!?
Y-yeah...!

They did seem familiar to him. But a second later--

!!

A violent headache tore through him. It was as if his brain was refusing to let him remember. He still tried to search through his brain in spite of the pain, but no relevant memories would come to him.

...N...no... I don't remember.
...I see.

Ena let out a truly disappointed sigh.

What about you, Teach? Got any ideas...?
No... it just bugged me, that's all... When I saw the phrase 'brain dysfunction', it got me wondering if it had anything to do with your memory loss and hallucinations...
...I see... but I don't remember anything. I believe that the hallucinations I've been having truly are due to abnormalities in my brain. Including my amnesia...

It did seem like the cause of Watase's frequent headaches and memory problems really did lie in his brain.

In that case, maybe I really did steal the AD... and don't even remember it. I can't confidently deny the possibility that a part of me's okay with letting everyone else die so long as I survive...!

Watase suddenly began to get scared. Very scared. Perhaps there was a ''wicked'' side to him that he was not aware of-- one that was deciding all his actions on its own and driving everyone to their deaths-- That thought was much more frightening than the prospect of his own death. But-- Ena spoke to Watase with a kind voice when she saw him trembling.

Get a hold of yourself, Captain Kasasagi... You're not that kind of person.
...Huh?
You are indeed suspicious-- your amnesia and the security footage attest to that. But even when I take that into account, I want to trust you.
...Why?
Because the indisputable truth is that you have been pushing yourself to your limits to save people. You even ran into a contaminated zone to save a student of mine even though you didn't even know her...
It's not important that you have amnesia or that you had a hallucination. As long as you stay the way you are now... as long you're 'Captain Kasasagi'... I am on your side.

Ena gazed straight at Watase. Watase couldn't bear to look her in the eye. He hung his head and answered:

Thank you, Teach...

There was someone out there who would say they were on his side when even he didn't trust himself-- Watase was grateful for that more than anything else at the moment.

But... what do we do? Moribe and old man Ukita don't trust me at all, you know?
That's true. So that's why-- I'll go convince them.
Wha... you're not saying you plan to go alone, are you?
Of course I am. If you came along with me with things being the way they are now, all you'd do is make things harder for me.
Well, yeah, I guess, but...
I'll be right back, so wait here, okay?

And with those words, Ena left the room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hesitation

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Watase tried to follow her right away-- Only to be stopped by the image of Ukita and Jun's faces, full of hostility towards him, flashing through his mind.

(Khh... dammit, she's right! If I go out there, all I'll do is rile them up...!)

Watase decided to give up on following Ena after he thought that. However, anxiety welled up in his chest.

(But... will Teach really be able to persuade them all by herself? What if they doubt her because she defended me back at the surveillance room?)

But it was too late now.

(Teach... please get through to them...!)

Watase waited for Ena to return, desperately praying for her success-- --Yet as time passed, there was no sign of her.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

(What's up with Teach...? She said she'd be right back...! --Could something have happened to her!? Don't tell me she failed to persuade them and then got...!?)

That thought ignited the anxiety that had been smoldering inside of him up until now.

(--Dammit! I knew I never should have let Teach go alone!)

Having finally reached the limits of his patience, Watase went running out of the office.

In fact, it was so quiet that it sent shivers down Watase's spine. He began shouting at the top of his lungs without any regard for his current plight.

Teach, where are you!? Say something if you can hear me!

There was no answer.

--poo poo!

Watase urged himself onwards and ran down the hallway.

Teach! Where are you!? Can you hear me!?

But there was no answer. It seemed this block too was cloaked in silence. The chills running down Watase's spine only intensified.

Teach! Old man! Moribe! Someone, anybody, please say something!

The bad feeling he had only got worse. He wanted to make sure Ena was safe as soon as possible, even if it meant getting caught.

(Where is she!? Where did Teach go!?)

Watase went recklessly running around LABO--

(Isn't this...?)

It was the place where they'd all first met Ena. There was a corner up ahead.

(That's right, we found Teach right after we rounded that corner...!)

It was a memory of only a few hours ago, but one that made him even more anxious for some reason. His mouth was parched. Watase gulped deeply, then slowly headed down the passageway. He then peeked around the corner--

--!

Watase's eyes went wide. Ena was lying on the ground right there.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Watase ran over to her and frantically helped her up. And when he did--

Ena's head dangled limply.

... Aah...

Her body was still warm. Watase pressed his fingers against her neck-- No pulse. None. He checked her pupils-- they were dilating. He then took off his Vital Checker and wrapped it around Ena's wrist-- all five lights shone red. There was a bullet hole gouged through her forehead that exited out at the back of her head... There was no need to check anything else. Ena-- was dead.

Watase found himself utterly speechless. Before long, a sound escaped from his chest.

...Uw... aah... Uwaaa... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Why!? Why!? Why is Teach dead!?

There was no one there to answer his question. Ena's now dull eyes were staring off into space.

...Why... ...Teach...!

Watase held Ena's body to his chest. He could feel the remaining warmth in her body slipping away little by little...

Once the heat from Ena's body had completely vanished, Watase rose to his feet, and lifted her body in his arms.

You'd probably hate to be left in a place like this...

Watase left the connecting passageway, carrying Ena on his back. --She had been trapped in that passageway when they'd first come across her. So he wanted to take her out of there and lay her to rest in a quiet room at the very least. The room where he'd last spoken to her.

He didn't want to think about anything. And yet for some reason-- Memories of her came rising and vanishing in his head like bubbles with each step he took.

She'd told him that when they'd first met.

At first, he'd thought of her only as an unpleasant woman who just complained all the time. --But before long, her attitude began to change little by little.

She began looking at Watase in a new light after witnessing him put his life at risk time and time again.

Over time, they had gradually come to understand one another.

You have to get a hold of yourself.

Though she would scold him at times, her words would help Watase press onwards. Trapped in this hell with Death hovering behind them... --They looked for the survivors and a way to survive together, but then--

(Just when we were finally getting through to each other...)

But she was no more. Her sharp tongue, keen eyes, and smile... had been forever lost.

(Dammit...! Dammit, dammit, dammit...!)

He wanted to cry, but he didn't. He felt like Ena would scold him if he did. So Watase just cursed himself. The only tears he shed were in his heart--

He laid her on the floor there-- And then quietly left.

For with no coffins in the facility, this was the only burial for her he could come up with...

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well poo poo, we have to be on a bad end now. I thought we were gonna get a bunch before this, like before we even escaped the security monitor room. Anyway I tried to parse the file the game gave us, see if I could make heads or tails of it.

Case N specifications Alteration Proposal Aug 1: -ken Kashiwagi
On Some Date 2021 Subject N attempted escape
As you already know ***
At the same time *** this chance to re-evaluate the danger of ***
Events leading to the accident ***
**** researcher S*** proper s****
**** took this chance **** e BC****
****with senses(?) ****
Communicators ***is ability
*** the targeted ***their brain conditions(?)
Reseracher S ***dire contact with subject N contained in Area Zero(?)

Paradoxically when ***just by ***at*** Subject N ***to run

Reason for alteration
Gene type S is wor***
Resistance to WX particles?
Subject N, WX particle generator went haywire?
*** been said ***ing of A.
This shows that **** something in area zero is up
Althought Subject (Y1? or N? Another Letter?) was born in LABO there is no reason to let it out?
It is Subject (Y1? or N? Another Letter?) we need to be careful about.

So what I'm getting out of this is that these WX particles are causing genetic alterations to everyone, which is why they're all going crazy. Which means that it's not radiation leaking out of area N, it's WX particles. A case N would not be a nuclear meltdown then, but instead one of the subjects trying to escape the lab. That's probably why they keep this facility all on the down low, they're doing unethical human experimentation in here, and the lockdown is so none of the subjects can escape and tell the world what LABO really is.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I am......intensely conflicted about what happened to Ena. That is all I can say on that matter at this time.

On speculatory news, the PDA. I may come back and edit this as I come up with more, but I can only discern a couple things of note:

The first is that Subject N's BC ability was something that targeted brain functions.
The second is that he/she was apparently 'born in LABO' if I am interpreting correctly. EDIT: On second thought, it is more likely a recommendation that N, as someone who was kidnapped, be kept separate from those born in LABO.
The final is that there is an Area Zero.

EDIT2: This might be critical. N's ability seems to be, or at least she used something like, something called the "**nses S*******. Now, by the principles of grammar, we can deduce that the last two asterisks are a " and a full stop. This gives us "**nses S******". There are not many words that end in 'nses' and the only one in the context of the game I can think of is 'senses'. This gives us "Senses S*****". Again, there are few words that start with S and have five extra letters, and only one that goes with 'Senses'.

System. As in "Senses System". *insert dramatic sting*

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 4, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
F

No static or anything this time. If Ena disappears as well I'm going to be very confused.

At least we've now got a pattern of two people being shot square in the forehead. Whatever that means.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I find it rather strange that they pace this out to have (what we're supposed to think is) a real death so soon after a fakeout death.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess Ukita had the same idea I did.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Decision: 09/16/2030, 14:46

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

He eventually came back to his senses, only to have the weight of the life he had just lost crush him once more.

(... Goddammit.)

Watase gritted his teeth as he stood in front of that sealed room.

(Why am I so drat powerless...!? If only I were my true self with all his memories... then I just know I would have saved Teach for sure...!)

He had no AD. His time limit grew shorter with each passing moment. Even if he started searching now, he had but a slim chance of finding more AD, and he knew that. He couldn't find an exit, he'd lost the trust of his comrades-- and to top it all off, even Ena had been killed.

(... Is this the end of the line...? Would it be better to just give it all up and call it quits...?)

Watase was assailed by his powerlessness. His heart felt as if it would sink into darkness at any moment.

(So in the end... I can't save anyone the way I am now...?)

But at that moment--

Commander: It seems that due to the meltdown, there's still a huge fire going on in Area N, which is where the reactor is located-- The security's system's gone haywire thanks to that, which means that we can no longer access it externally in theory.

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

(I get it... so if we could just put out the fires in Area N...! Then the security system would stabilize, the lockdown would lift, and we could all get out of here safe and sound!)

But there was a melted down nuclear reactor in Area N. That place was filled to the brim with radiation. Once he went in, he was most likely never coming out.

(... Ha, so what?)

He'd have been lying if he said he wasn't scared. But Watase no longer valued his own life at all. --He would end this nightmare as soon as possible and ensure that at least one person escaped to the surface. That was the only way he could atone for letting Ena die.

Watase heard Ena's voice scolding him in his head.

Sorry, Teach... but this is the only course of action I have left...

Watase muttered that and walked off. He headed for Area N, home of the burning reactor--

The Procyon's display was giving off a reading far greater than he'd ever seen before.

'11850 mSv'...!

He was then assaulted by an intense headache and severe nausea. His skin was numb, and his vision grew blurry.

...Tch.

Watase turned his Procyon off, then kept on walking.

A melted down reactor, raging hellfire, and extremely lethal doses of radiation-- Watase shuddered as he imagined that hell on Earth waiting for him right up ahead. But...

...I'm ready.

Watase kept himself from shaking, then pulled a hose out from the nearby fire hydrant. He held it with his left hand, with the security card in the right.

(Extinguishing preparations all set. Let's roll.)

Though genuine danger lay just up ahead, Watase did not falter. Grim determination was coursing through him. He suddenly broke out into a smile.

(... Teach... perhaps I've finally become... a true rescue worker.)

He then took the card in his hand-- And opened the gate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Area N: 09/16/2030, 14:48

♪ BGM: Machines Whirring ♫

At that moment, he felt as if he had stepped into a raging storm. An invisible force broke over his body with earth-shattering power. Yet Watase stood his ground and opened his eyes-- Then saw what lay on the other side of the gate.

Watase gasped in the face of that sight. Standing on the other side of the door-- was a gigantic hall filled with the faint sound of running machinery.

Wha... what the hell!?

There was supposed to be a melted down nuclear reactor there. There were supposed to be fires causing the security system to go haywire there. Yet all he saw was a cold, empty room.

...Wh... what's going on... Where's the burning reactor!?

Watase threw the hose aside and looked around. A transparent cylinder stood in the center of Area N, surrounded by six towering spire-like installations. Those installations all connected to each other near the ceiling, forming a hexagram.

...What... what is this machine!?

Now that he thought about it, he didn't really know what a nuclear reactor looked like. But-- he had a feeling that what he was looking at was no nuclear reactor.

H-hold on... Come to think about it, wasn't there something like this in that data Teach showed me...!?

Watase strained his brain to remember the words he'd seen earlier.

(Let's see, the words in that search list were--)

''Case N'', ''meltdown'', ''brain dysfunction'', ''Subject N'', ''WX particle'', ''WX particle spread'', ''particle amplifier''.

This doesn't make sense...!!

He finally realized what had been the source of that uncomfortable feeling he'd gotten back then. Though ''Case N'' and ''meltdown'' had shown up on that list, terms that -should- have been there weren't. There had been not a single sign of the terms ''nuclear reactor'', ''radiation'', ''radioactive material'' or ''radiation exposure''. Instead, there were mysterious terms like ''WX particle'' and ''particle amplifier''. It was clearly strange. Watase couldn't explain it. However-- he felt the answer lied in this room.

...It's not just that there's no fire here... Could it be... That there was never a nuclear reactor here to begin with!?

Watase's shout was full of astonishment.

Wh-what's going on!? Were we tricked!? But by whom, and why!?

His confusion begot more questions. He felt like he'd heard the same words being screamed at some point in the past.

(Did the Commander lie to us!? But why would he ever do that!? No, the ones I -should- be doubting are the staff of LABO...! So does that include old man Ukita too...!?)

From what Watase had seen from how everyone had acted, it seemed the entire city believed that LABO housed a nuclear reactor. Then why did the people running LABO lie about that? What meaning was there in putting on such an elaborate ruse to fool the townspeople? Watase's head hurt again when he thought about that.

!!

It felt far worse than any of his other headaches. All his wounds and skin also began to hurt at the same time.

Agh... khh...!

To make matters worse, his body started shaking for no apparent reason.

(Wait... are these convulsions!?) Sh-poo poo...!

He frantically looked around, hoping to find an exit. But instead-- he spotted a strange object.

Something was lying on the ground further up ahead. He staggered on over to it and picked it up. It was a security card that'd been split into two. The name on the card was ''Miyoko Tenkawa''. Its security level was ''Lv. N''.

What's this doing here...!?

Just then, an unpleasant stench suddenly took hold of Watase's nose. It was a familiar stench, albeit a hundred times worse than any past experience he'd had with it... The stench of blood.

...!

A bad feeling rose in Watase's heart as he took a look behind the device.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My "The fourth wall will be broken into a million pieces" sense is tingling! As for what... Let's just say it's similar to a late-game plot twist regarding Zero Time Dilemma's major mechanic.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 5, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Hey, maybe don't give out wink-wink-nudge-nudge spoilers for a completely unrelated game in this thread?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Can we set Ena to 10 in remembrance for her :(

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hey, maybe don't give out wink-wink-nudge-nudge spoilers for a completely unrelated game in this thread?

Gotcha, spoilered. Oh, and I'm sorry about that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck:

Okay, this partly went where I was expecting it to go, and partly went completely off the rails. I'm hooked.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ena was to be expected. Doc has the gun, Jun the bullets and her the magazine. Two versus one to get a fully functional gun.

Ghost reactor seems a lot more likely now too :iiam:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

I am in agreement with this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gridlocked posted:

:( Also if it was Ukita who did the deed, him and Jun still have more bullets, so unless Watase manages to avoid the first shot, we're still in danger.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
We need to find the Lieutenant too. She may or may not have the CRAZY that the other have got.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gridlocked posted:

We need to find the Lieutenant too. She may or may not have the CRAZY that the other have got.

On the admittedly shaky assumption that Ena is, in fact, dead, Kazami probably is too, and whichever of Jun and Ukita didn't get the gun. Then again, that's too obvious, and this is getting climactic enough that poo poo will be seriously different very few updates from now.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
What if Kazami was the killer all along? I mean we don't know that she wasn't already crazy. After all she tried to revive the dead girl by the elevator and she was "talking to the radio: when there's no way that story holds water. She's just as nuts as the rest of them, if not more so.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I took the "radio" talk to mean she might have been receiving psychic messages, probably something unpleasant about Watase.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Logicblade posted:

What if Kazami was the killer all along? I mean we don't know that she wasn't already crazy. After all she tried to revive the dead girl by the elevator and she was "talking to the radio: when there's no way that story holds water. She's just as nuts as the rest of them, if not more so.

In her defense, doing CPR on someone even if they're clearly dead is fairly normal emergency services protocol.

As for the radio, I have a feeling she was sorta telling the truth. She definitely wasn't talking to the surface, considering how terrible she is at lying, but possibly the group of kids whether by actual radio or BC. She reacted oddly when she mentioned the AD was missing, as if she knew who'd done it. Plus if she wanted us dead, she wouldn't have let us escape from Jun and Ukita. Then again I would have defended Jun this way too... :(

The most important thing I'm wondering about is, if there's no fire, then either the security system or the topside crew is lying to us. Also note that this room is where Watase got owned by Subject N and sent to the shadow realm :tinfoil:

On an unrelated note, I just noticed that the Rescue Teams' armbands back when they were wearing hazmat suits match their hair colours :v: I'm assuming on Dojima and Hiyama, but Jun, Kazami, and Watase's all match

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

tiistai posted:

I took the "radio" talk to mean she might have been receiving psychic messages, probably something unpleasant about Watase.

Yeah, that not at all innocent conversation was pretty clearly this.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Too late

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Wha...!?

A boy garbed in a school uniform was lying there. His body was collapsed in a vast pool of blood.

(Isn't that... Natsuhiko Tenkawa!?)

His name and face matched up perfectly with Watase's memory of him.

Hey! Are you okay!?

But Natsuhiko didn't respond to his calls. Watase took off his gloves and pressed his index finger against Natsuhiko’s carotid artery.

(...!!)

He couldn't feel a pulse, and Natsuhiko's body was growing colder and colder.

I-is he dead...!?

Watase took off his Vital Checker and strapped it on Natsuhiko's arm to find out.

Watase looked over Natsuhiko's body to find there were several small holes and wounds here and there behind his uniform.

...Gunshot wounds!?

The sight of them was no longer as shocking to Watase after having seen so many of them before. The blood oozing from those wounds hadn't dried yet.

(Does that mean he only just died right before I got here!?) Dammit, don't die on me! I won't let you die, goddammit!

(Just do it like Tachibana and Moribe did--!)

15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths.

Please! Stay with me! I'm begging you!

Watase withstood his headaches and convulsions in his desperate attempt at CPR. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. However--

No matter how many times he tried, the boy's heart remained still. He was dead. He'd passed away all alone in this vast, empty hall--

...Dammit...

Watase hung his head feebly as he stayed where he was. The boy had undoubtedly been alive just a few minutes ago. He'd probably been struggling to hold on to life as he awaited rescue. But-- Watase hadn't made it in time. He'd failed to save a life he'd been charged with saving.

U-uwaa... UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Why!? Why, goddammit!? I finally found you after coming all this way! You can't die on me!!

Watase's shouts echoed through the hall.

Dammit... I...! I failed again...!

Just then, Watase spotted something out of the corner of his eye.

(...!?)

Something with a black luster was lying next to Natsuhiko.

It was probably the weapon that had robbed the boy of his life. Much like how Ena had been shot through the head with one of these. He didn't know who'd killed them. But Watase felt like that pistol was the cause of all of it.

drat this piece of poo poo... If it weren't for this drat thing!

Watase picked it up and was about to throw it to the ground-- but then...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Area N: 09/16/2030, 14:48 - Part 2

Watase felt a presence behind him.

♪ BGM: Abyss

In their hand was--

Just as Watase realized that,

the figure swung the axe down towards the crown of his head.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Welp!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I could see this going on with Ena dead, but you don't kill off people before you have an actual Sense choice with them, so unless these kids are REAL good at faking death, this is bad end confirmed. Maybe, just maybe, if Ena is willing to do this for us, we should trust her.

EDIT: Just to up the angst factor, Watase is going to shoot Salyu, I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

OddHaberdasher posted:

I could see this going on with Ena dead, but you don't kill off people before you have an actual Sense choice with them, so unless these kids are REAL good at faking death, this is bad end confirmed. Maybe, just maybe, if Ena is willing to do this for us, we should trust her.

EDIT: Just to up the angst factor, Watase is going to shoot Salyu, I bet.

To be fair, if someone is trying to split your head open with an axe, shooting them is not unreasonable. I wish we could get a glimpse of Subject N before we hit the end of this path, though. I hope we do.

• Locked thread