Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulb posted:

You still sear it. You just have to do it fast so the inside doesn't cook more. Some people use a blowtorch.

Or deep fry it

(Actually I dunno if people do that with steak, I've heard of it for hamburgers)

Deep frying or blowtorch? The latter is certainly done at least by some nerds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw&t=434s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is liquid nitrogen even something you can buy for home use?

I just know it as the magical stuff that killed the terminator 2

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Deep frying or blowtorch? The latter is certainly done at least by some nerds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw&t=434s

When it comes down to it, a blowtorch sucks at searing things. They have their use when it comes to oddly shaped foods, but a grill or griddle is the best for doing something relatively flat like a steak. There's a torch attachment marketed by the name of Searzall that makes it a little bit better, but not much.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

FishBulb posted:

Nobody tell him there's a second half of Terminator 2

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've mentioned to my family I'd like an immersion cooker for X-Mass. If there's none to be had, then come the new year, I'll just get one for myself and make what I hope is the juiciest, mid-rare-iest, steak I've ever had in my life.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Y'all talking food? I bought some Taco Bell and I can't wait to eat this cheesy gordita fuckin crunch.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My Klipsch speakers came in. They're much bigger than I thought they would be. Looks like I'm going to be doing a bunch of wall mounting and table finding for these guys.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Dewgy posted:

After searing though? :nws: http://i.imgur.com/4SLlHt8.png :nws: (NWS because you will be hungry for days. Also not safe for wallet, because you'll wanna drop $130 on this like I just did.)

:drat: That looks absolutely amazing.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

I heart bacon posted:

:drat: That looks absolutely amazing.

It gets even better.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've had a lot of cheap student keyboards, but this is my first real synth. Feels like an actual instrument.

Took me way too long to get one of these.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^Re Sous vide, forget steaks, try eggs, especially softboiled eggs on a piece of toast and it will change your life. Just chuck a couple of eggs (in the shell) in the water at ~149° for 45 minutes. I've never particularly liked hard boiled eggs before in my life, but this is drat near one of the best things I've ever had.

ChocNitty posted:

I've had a lot of cheap student keyboards, but this is my first real synth. Feels like an actual instrument.

Took me way too long to get one of these.

Nice! Both that and an echo pedal are really high up on my list, once I recover from the rest of my excessive holiday spending spree. My buddy was showing me really cool things with his echo pedal the other day, where he'd crank the looping speed to where the chord would reverb into a single continuous note, and it just sounds awesome. Also, playing around in my DAW really makes me want to pick up a synth :(

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^Re Sous vide, forget steaks, try eggs, especially softboiled eggs on a piece of toast and it will change your life. Just chuck a couple of eggs (in the shell) in the water at ~149° for 45 minutes. I've never particularly liked hard boiled eggs before in my life, but this is drat near one of the best things I've ever had.

Or put them in boiling water for 3 minutes....

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

FishBulb posted:

Yeah, absolutely. As it turns out, liquid nitrogen isn't even that expensive.

You'll need to put down a deposit of a few hundred bucks to rent the dewar (unless you own your own dewar, I guess, but if you had a dewar you wouldn't be asking about buying liquid nitrogen for home use), but you'll get the deposit back when you return the dewar. A friend I used to live with would buy it from a local welding supply store and use it for experiments in the high school science class she taught, but we made ice cream with it at one point. Fun times.

I should note here that making food or drink that includes liquid nitrogen as a component can be incredibly dangerous, and swallowing liquid nitrogen even in small amounts will lead to some super sad times so please be careful and make sure that all the nitrogen has evaporated before you put whatever you made in your mouth.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The gently caress a dewar

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

FishBulb posted:

A brand of scotch.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FishBulb posted:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=dewar

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

You can use a large Thermos if you don't have a dewar, just got to find a place that'll fill it for you. Cheaper if you break it too. :v:.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bunch of basic bitches itt

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought dewars vented so that the liquid nitrogen wouldn't blow them up?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

This is what I asked for for Christmas too!

The 800 watt bluetooth (no wifi, but who needs that?) is on sale for like $100 right now on Amazon.

Edit: Oops, back up to $130 after black friday

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Been wanting to pick this up for a bit and finally pulled the trigger:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

FishBulb posted:

a double-walled flask of metal or silvered glass with a vacuum between the walls, used to hold liquids at well below ambient temperature.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought dewars vented so that the liquid nitrogen wouldn't blow them up?

Also this.

The thing about liquid nitrogen is that it's really cold, and you want to keep it cold, but when it gets even a little warmer than what it is, it turns into a gas and expands a whole bunch. Putting it in a thermos is kind of a trap because the thermos will keep it cold for a while, but not forever. At some point the LN will warm up, expand, and then your thermos will explode if it's sealed like a thermos is generally designed to do.

Dewars are pretty well insulated, but also not sealed; the one that my housemate rented from the welding supply shop was a big metal canister with a loose styrofoam lid on top. The lid helped insulate the opening and kept stuff from falling into the LN, but since it's loose any evaporated LN will just push the lid out of the way to escape if it needs to, and you don't end up with a time bomb in your kitchen or whatever.

Coca Koala has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Dec 2, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Coca Koala posted:

a double-walled flask of metal or silvered glass with a vacuum between the walls, used to hold liquids at well below ambient temperature.

So like my RTIC tumbler? I got one of those.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

FishBulb posted:

So like my RTIC tumbler? I got one of those.

look if you don't have three hundred dollars to temporarily put down on a deposit for the dewar then you probably have more important things to worry about than getting liquid nitrogen to cryosear your steaks.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Except I got a pair.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Since some assnugget broke my last toy I had to replace it

2007 FJR1300 with a bunch of accessories

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Spamtheman posted:

It gets even better.

:eyepop: ermagerd

Had a good thrift store day today:
- Slim PS2, $7 (didn't have cables but it works perfect)
- Dynasty Warriors 2, $4
- Dreamcast keyboard, $2
- Chair, $9
- Inflatable Christmas Tigger for the front lawn, $7

That last one is gonna be great. My neighbors have a big Minion in a Santa hat and we're gonna be the tackiest corner on the block.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Ammanas posted:

Or put them in boiling water for 3 minutes....

Ew that's like barely solid. From fridge to boiling pot it will take 5 minutes to cook a solid egg with runny yolk - I know this from hundreds of egg experience.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

Since some assnugget broke my last toy I had to replace it

2007 FJR1300 with a bunch of accessories

That's a rad bike, grats

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Picked up The Room, The Room 2 and The Room 3 since my friend told me they were awesome.

4$ for 3 games ain't too bad, and they are pretty fun, even if the story is kinda completely retarded. I dig the whole mechanical puzzle thing though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was terribly excited for a threequel of everyone's favorite worst movie.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My family decided to exchange gifts this holiday season, so I called my sister and we worked out her getting a nice Patagonia sweater she wants and I'm getting that Bluetooth Anova Sous Vide.

Merry Christmas :getin:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

I've got 2 packs left.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I usually alternate the feathers and Astras. Feathers are way sharper, but Astras don't dull as fast, and feel generally gentler.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Coffee And Pie posted:

I usually alternate the feathers and Astras. Feathers are way sharper, but Astras don't dull as fast, and feel generally gentler.

I know that we have this derail least twice a year in this thread, but... For those of you who are still shaving with Gilettes, or any type of disposables, wet shaving with a safety razor really is absolutely WAY better, and cheaper in the long run. The Mach 3 was the least terrible cartridge I found, but it still was a pain in the rear end and I loving hated it. Safety razor with Feather blades made shaving go from actively hating it to pretty much just meh.

You do not need to invest in the crazy brushes and soaps to get benefit (even though they are pretty great). Supermarket shave gel with a safety razor and good blades alone is dramatically better.

Note: There ARE bad blades out there, like Shark. Go to the goon shaving thread for advice, but Astras and Feathers are the overwhelmingly suggested choices for a reason.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Testimony:
I bought 100 blades for barely any money and they are projected to last three years. I've had them since October 2015 and I'm less than half-way through the box.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I did wet shaving for about a year and was never able to get a great shave. I cut myself a lot and I could never get my upper lip that smooth. I've been using Dollar Shave Club blades for about 3 years now and like them way more.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

I know that we have this derail least twice a year in this thread, but... For those of you who are still shaving with Gilettes, or any type of disposables, wet shaving with a safety razor really is absolutely WAY better, and cheaper in the long run. The Mach 3 was the least terrible cartridge I found, but it still was a pain in the rear end and I loving hated it. Safety razor with Feather blades made shaving go from actively hating it to pretty much just meh.

You do not need to invest in the crazy brushes and soaps to get benefit (even though they are pretty great). Supermarket shave gel with a safety razor and good blades alone is dramatically better.

Note: There ARE bad blades out there, like Shark. Go to the goon shaving thread for advice, but Astras and Feathers are the overwhelmingly suggested choices for a reason.

Nope, they fell into disuse because they are inferior product in about every way compared to a reasonable multi blade razor. Unless you are super hard up and somehow saving that $200 a year in razors is going to make or break your life, don't bother with that stuff and just buy a good cartridge change and it and regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Testimony:
I bought 100 blades for barely any money and they are projected to last three years. I've had them since October 2015 and I'm less than half-way through the box.

I bought a box of 100 almost 5 years ago now and they're still going strong, the soap I use lasts about 3 years a bar, and I doubt I'll ever have to replace the razor itself.

If you don't mind putting a bit more time into your shaving they're great.