Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arist posted:

English Noctis is very good

I just tried to upload a conversation in which Noctis made me laugh out loud but it didn't let me :(

But yeah sewer level done and it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

Agreed. It took me forever to find another rusted bit because I had already sold the two I found. Now I'm short on Gil but have 200k in treasures I don't wanna sell because I don't wanna have to go through that again.

Just lol if you couldn't tell ahead of time that a "rusted bit" was going to be an important item and not a piece of trash that you could sell without worrying about it

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you wanna get your Oracle Ascension coins en masse, finish the game, finish a certain quest Cindy gives you, then explore your way toward the Secret Dungeon. I stopped counting the amount of those and accessories I picked up in there and I left a lot of treasures waiting. If the DLC brings more dungeons like that, GOTY 2017.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The lore guide was inside the tutorial menu? This game is really bad about obfuscating things.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There's really no reason to sell anything, all of them are worth more as regents than gil. Hunts are where you get money from, and they give you way more than you can use if you knock a few out every time you get low on cash.

If you don't use magic at all for some reason, you can sell a lot of it, I guess. Keep a couple of the things that sound obviously like upgrade-y pieces (rusty bits, mythril shafts, etc.), and the different ores are needed for new Regalia paint jobs. Ingredients are worth saving because food has tons of good effects that you can't get any other way.

Oracle Ascension coins can be traded for some items in the late game, including a few super good accessories.

Most monster bits are safe to sell, though a few are needed for weapon upgrades. You only ever need one piece for an upgrade, and they are usually rare drops, so keep anything that you only have one or two of. Nothing gets reused that I've seen, so as long as you have 1 left in your inventory you should be safe. Most low-level monster drops are only useful as regents.

So tl;dr is save your ascension coins and keep at least one of every item in your inventory just in case (I haven't found every possible upgradeable weapon yet, but so far nothing has used the same item, and none have needed more than one piece)If you don't use magic you don't need like 70% of the items, but you probably should use magic because it's super strong and insanely useful in the late game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say one of the absolute worst bits of plot is Jerid No! This old man character died. Offscreen. Everyone treats his death as a horrifying crippling thing. Most players probably barely remember who the old man with 3 lines was.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say one of the absolute worst bits of plot is Jerid No! This old man character died. Offscreen. Everyone treats his death as a horrifying crippling thing. Most players probably barely remember who the old man with 3 lines was.

He's clearly more important than King Regi.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When can I get a new reel? The base one doesn't have enough swagger for bigger fish.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've found new ones for sale in fishing shops out in the middle of nowhere.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

When can I get a new reel? The base one doesn't have enough swagger for bigger fish.

The bait shop at Vesperpool sells a better rod and reel. The best reel is won from a minigame in Altissia, and the best rod is from the fishing questline.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

Is there a good way to know which items you get are okay for selling and which ones you need to keep for quests?

All items are for making your magic spells ~~hella rad~~

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah that was super clumsy and is up there with Iggy's "Hey guys, sorry, I know we just captured that captain but I gave him to some hunters and they let him go"

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Which minigames have actually good payouts? Like do the pinball machines at restaurants get you anything good if you play long enough?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh god I maxed out on photos what do I do

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arist posted:

oh god I maxed out on photos what do I do

Buy another PS4 and start a second collection

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Megasabin posted:

Which minigames have actually good payouts? Like do the pinball machines at restaurants get you anything good if you play long enough?

Yup but it takes a while http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74646222/867154092

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Oh god. How long does that actually take?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Megasabin posted:

The pinball machine has a few good items but it requires insane amounts of playing (like, probably 2 hours to get the max number of chests) and you can get them all elsewhere. In the later game / postgame there is another minigame in Altissia ( monster coliseum betting) that has some good stuff. There's also another version of the pinball machine that costs 10k per game and has way better rewards, including a few things I haven't seen anywhere else yet (though I'm not even close to done with everything and there seems to be quite a bit of postgame content).

Other than that I can't recall any other minigames. There's chocobo racing with your buds but that's mostly for fun. There's also the carrot growing spot in Cape Carem that lets you get a few unique weapons / car parts, but I don't think that quite qualifies as a "minigame," though it's 100% optional.

edit: Honestly the best item from the regular pinball is probably the Oracle Earring, because it makes your magic absolutely ridiculous. It basically becomes a fight-skip button, even against a lot of bosses.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 3, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hit chapter 13 after reading people complain about it and thinking it couldn't possibly be that bad

someone should be fired for this

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cams posted:

hit chapter 13 after reading people complain about it and thinking it couldn't possibly be that bad

I watched a review from gamespot or IGN or some other "gaming journalism" website and even they specifically complained that that part was bad. That's when you know it can't be good

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You only need to look at how little most of the hundred fold people who make the game get paid and how many hours they work in a week before being unceremoniously fired at the end of the project because there's no promise of future work to realise how little they care about making good, bug free and fully functional games, by that metric.

(It doesn't tell you anything other than companies maximise profit)

Yes it does, imagine Disney treating their voice actors like these for their animated movies.

Endorph posted:

this game was written in japan, where there is no such voice actor strike

Corporate Japanese culture is pure hell and every employee gets treated like poo poo

What happened to Kojima is normal business there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Just got to this bit and oh my loving gooooood

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just lol if you couldn't tell ahead of time that a "rusted bit" was going to be an important item and not a piece of trash that you could sell without worrying about it

gently caress, you have to be kidding me

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I watched a review from gamespot or IGN or some other "gaming journalism" website and even they specifically complained that that part was bad. That's when you know it can't be good
if i were a reviewer, chapter 13 would legit drop this game down from a 9 to a 8 on its own. it is so long and tedious and awful that it is shocking compared to how good a job they did of keeping the quality of life high for the rest of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Hefe posted:

Corporate Japanese culture is pure hell and every employee gets treated like poo poo

What happened to Kojima is normal business there
it definitely has issues but most companies aren't that bad.

and corporate culture being poo poo doesn't really affect whether or not a good story can be told in mass media.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Rusty bits and stuff aren't that hard to find, thankfully. I think I found a couple just walking around the first large town, and I've found them just randomly lying on the ground in a lot of places, too.

Also Chapter 13 is definitely bad, but if it was like 75% shorter I'd probably kinda like it. There's a few neat moments in it, but there's zero justification for all the tedious backtracking / samey progression that makes it take around 2 hours. It really feels out of place though, like something from a different version of the game almost. It also adds some confusing side-plot elements for no reason and they don't even really make sense.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
that loving sturdy helixhorn is impossible to get, i've done this hunt 18 times

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Megasabin posted:

Oh god. How long does that actually take?

Probably 2 hours. If you get lucky and a lot of your stages have side bumpers on them, you can ignore the enemies for a bit and just hit the bumpers to bring up slots. 3 treasures will add 5 to your total and 2 will add 2. If you are really lucky you could get 99 treasures in just 5 rounds. When I played for 2 hours, I had max treasures for at least half of my time so it would have taken an hour if I had just hit circle to back out of the game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
19 was the charm, apparently

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Man, level 49 before I ever met Iris in Chapter 3, more hunts to do. I can't stop exploring the world for dungeons.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that was super clumsy and is up there with Iggy's "Hey guys, sorry, I know we just captured that captain but I gave him to some hunters and they let him go"

My favourite bit of that was how unnecessary it was. Just never mention that guy again, ever, no one would care. Iggy's line actually made me laugh out loud at how bad and dumb it was.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Saint Freak posted:

Actually the english acting is good, capisce?

EYYYYY OWZABOUTS YOU FOUR YOOTS GO GETS A GAAAHNET FROM OVAH BY DA BIGASS BOID

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

cams posted:

Yeah, that was way worse than I expected too.

I feel like this game is extremely disappointing just because they obviously had so many good ideas and then just did nothing with them. I mean for example finding out the Emperor got transformed into a demon, and then what should have been a pivotal battle in the story gets reduced to essentially a trash mob battle in some random room . There are loads of characters that get introduced and are portrayed to be important and then just vanish Cor, the old Imperial officer talking to the Emperor in an early-ish cutscene, and Luna's brother (can't remember his name). That last one was particularly egregious because he's portrayed as being one of the big badguys in the story in Kingsglaive and is the one who kills Noctis' dad so he ought to be front and center as an antagonist.

Also, for as much as I liked the interactions between the main characters, I don't fell like you really learn a lot about them over the course of the game. With few exceptions, none of the four are developed as characters at all, and honestly if not for Brotherhood, I don't think I'd really know anything about any of them.

Finally, I think a lot of the boss fights were really disappointing. The huge set piece fights like Titan and Leviathan looked amazing, but boiled down a glorified QTEs that you really couldn't lose. I get the feeling they wanted to make these huge, mechanically complex fights, but also didn't want to frustrate people who would likely die on them. I keep hearing the post-game has some really great fights so hopefully those are a bit more fun.

I agree with what a lot of people have said about this, that hopefully Square takes the good ideas from this game and makes the game FFXV should have been. I still think I liked the game overall, but it had some real rough patches and that second half almost ruined the whole experience for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

My favourite bit of that was how unnecessary it was. Just never mention that guy again, ever, no one would care. Iggy's line actually made me laugh out loud at how bad and dumb it was.

He does show up again though (so does Loqi). An easy solution would be to just have Ignis say "I'm sorry, I was ambushed by some MTs and he slipped away", maybe have a conversation in the car later when he's down about it and Noctis can say "hey man it's cool"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair it's more oh gently caress, now poor Talcott, a little kid, is by himself and that's actually pretty loving depressing.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also Chapter 13 is definitely bad, but if it was like 75% shorter I'd probably kinda like it. There's a few neat moments in it, but there's zero justification for all the tedious backtracking / samey progression that makes it take around 2 hours. It really feels out of place though, like something from a different version of the game almost. It also adds some confusing side-plot elements for no reason and they don't even really make sense.

I'm in chapter 13 now and I was dreading it but I didn't realize how long it was and it's driven me insane

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

and corporate culture being poo poo doesn't really affect whether or not a good story can be told in mass media.

it has a lot more to do with the quality of mass media products than the quality of art, tbqh

art can be good or poo poo either way, only the *content* will be informed by the people who produce it and the context in which its produced; mass media stuff can absolutely be affected for good or ill by the material conditions of people "just doing their job"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

Tabby's shack sells the tier 3 rod and reel. It's the fishing spot north of the Old Lestallum outpost, just follow the river north. Each item is a little over 6k.

There was another shop , Dory something, in the southeast part of the map that sells the tier 2 rod and reel. Near Schier Heights on the map. You have to get off the highway before the tunnel and explore south. There is also a level 40 dungeon near there.

edit: the Tabby shack rod and reel are better than the one from Dory

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 4, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Was getting a little sick of loving around on the open world and all the dungeons I found seem way above my level so I advanced the story. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm supposed to do against Leviathan. I can't seem to do any damage and I've been in the fight for at least ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

My own CH13 storybits thoughts: I picked up everything and read all the text, I felt it was alright, the dots connected in my mind during it. poo poo got critically hosed up, not even inside those saferooms and conference rooms were people safe, no wonder the emperor changed and became a batty rear end in a top hat. But how long ago was that corruption event? Was it the fogwall we saw from the train? Ravus's bit made sense, he was revived and changed on purpose it seems. Delivery in general could have been so much better with everything because close to Dark Souls levels of connecting things to figure it out.

CH13 gameplay thoughts: gently caress around 75% of that. Wish I knew how many hours it took. Ravus was the most cuntingly hard fight I had in the game, especially with the entire crew surrounding him despite him charging up his poo poo. Swordwarp to safety, he charges up something that oneshots me before I can warp out. Been caught by it in the apex of jumps. What a pile, together with most of it. I wanted it to end over and over. First meeting with the emperor down there like alright, I'll just go to the elevator and be safe, so I enter the corridor and he randomly appears to remove all of my health. Irritation and hatred and no way to circumvent it that I noticed. Left so much treasure behind.

Pain in the butt chapter but stick with it, payoff is worth it.

• Locked thread