Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Everybody craps on X's VA, but I still remember it being pretty mind-blowing that it had VA at all.

It doesn't hold up at all, but it WAS the first FF to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a technical marvel that X had voice acting. They literally had to match the cadence and size of the japanese or the game literally crashed.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
X's VA isn't something that people soured on over time, it was hugely contentious, which is a nice way to say hated, all the way back when it came out. I can tell you I kind of resented it myself, not just because the quality of the VA was lacking but because it was there at all and interrupted the pacing I was used to in my RPGs. I understand now that you gotta have growing pains, VO efforts in games have come a long way and I'm glad it's there by and large. Same as back when the industry started tinkering with 3d, really, if we'd listened to the whining of the recalcitrant that demanded we stick to 2d then we wouldn't have 3d today, which I think is objectively good, but the adolescent awkwardness of X's VO remains crystallized, gross zits and all.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember one of the game's cardinal sins was that, even though you could name Tidus, it didn't matter since no one called him by his official name at all anyway :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Soul Glo posted:

Everybody craps on X's VA, but I still remember it being pretty mind-blowing that it had VA at all.

And it was the first game (or at least, one of them) to work around trying to have a named character in a voiced game. They didn't do it WELL, partly because the FFX party's meant to be very close so it's weird nobody ever says Tidus' name, but points for trying.

The only JRPG I've seen that I felt handled it well was Persona 4. For some reason, it never really felt awkward there that most of the cast didn't seem to actually know your name.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 4, 2016

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Soul Glo posted:

Eh, I still think they did a better job there than with XIII. The awkward localization didn't help either.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It's me, the guy realizing right now that no one ever says Tidus' name in X

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

It's a technical marvel that X had voice acting. They literally had to match the cadence and size of the japanese or the game literally crashed.
I think that's the opposite of a technical marvel.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Cleretic posted:

And it was the first game (or at least, one of them) to work around trying to have a named character in a voiced game. They didn't do it WELL, partly because the FFX party's meant to be very close so it's weird nobody ever says Tidus' name, but points for trying.

The only JRPG I've seen that I felt handled it well was Persona 4. For some reason, it never really felt awkward there that most of the cast didn't seem to actually know your name.

P4 wasn't fully voice acted. Most of the casual conversation was text-based and people would frequently use your name, which was even split into given and family to make it sound more natural.

Full voice acting is something of a trap. It makes the big, dramatic bits more bit and dramatic, but using it everywhere costs a lot of money, severely limits the amount of dialog that can be included, and puts you in the FFXIII situation where you can't go back and revise after it's been recorded.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

That's a nifty touch.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Krad posted:

Eh, I still think they did a better job there than with XIII. The awkward localization didn't help either.

withyunabymyside vs. Vanille's moe noises, I think I'd take the latter.

I never had much of a problem with either anyway. I guess I'm just less critical than some.

Although, given the frequent "look at it as a product of its time" defense of X's voice-acting, I can only assume things like Legacy of Kain and Metal Gear Solid are aberrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

withyunabymyside vs. Vanille's moe noises, I think I'd take the latter.

I never had much of a problem with either anyway. I guess I'm just less critical than some.

Although, given the frequent "look at it as a product of its time" defense of X's voice-acting, I can only assume things like Legacy of Kain and Metal Gear Solid are aberrations.

They absolutely were and had plenty of flaws of their own. Metal Gear Solid's awful accent stuff for example.

The Legacy of Kain series voice acting is unimpeachable though. :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

It took me a long, long time

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The only actual good early voice acting was in Megaman 8.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

They absolutely were and had plenty of flaws of their own. Metal Gear Solid's awful accent stuff for example.

:rip: Tony Jay

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

aegof posted:

DR. WAHWEE

Shoren fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 4, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aegof posted:

Come on you know MK4 is up there too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Last Alert.

you don't want to be stingey

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please it's Final Zone 2.

Or that one part of Sonic 06 where the voice actor clearly fucks up the line and starts again for another take and they keep that cut.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Barudak posted:

Or that one part of Sonic 06 where the voice actor clearly fucks up the line and starts again for another take and they keep that cut.

This happened in Oblivion, too. "Wait, let me try that one again...".

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Please it's Final Zone 2.

Wait I missed that. I want to hear that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE4l5PFwQrk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elentor posted:

Wait I missed that. I want to hear that.

Head to the Wave Ocean, Wave Ocean immediately. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5gSnrDOI4

All on the same night, let me do that one again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9REWMEOLdI

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I...I should have been the ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIII~IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~GHT

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edit: I think I'm totally remembering wrong. sorry.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 4, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I'm one of the people who liked MGS' VO completely with cheesy accents because it really drove home the old Bond movie feel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember one of the game's cardinal sins was that, even though you could name Tidus, it didn't matter since no one called him by his official name at all anyway :argh:

Well what do you expect? The alternative is one of those limited banks of names where you can be Arnold or Arthur but not Aaron and stuff like that.

Soul Glo posted:

It is pretty funny how they have to write around it all the time. "The latest guardian" and a whole lot of "hey, you"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I'm one of the people who liked MGS' VO completely with cheesy accents because it really drove home the old Bond movie feel.

It doesn't help that the Twin Snakes' version just feels so,....lifeless in comparison to the original. That is partly due to the lack of accents I think.

But I was actually thinking of MGS2 because it came out right around the same time as FFX. I would say it had a better dub than X.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

I would say it had a better dub than X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXgsXF0auQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MGS2's dub had the advantage of not having to match anywhere as much lipflap which was a big advantage.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

If you want amazing voice acting go check out the dynasty warriors series

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Or in X-2 I think which is even weirder because the game is about finding Tidus

Like literally it's all about "The video of Him" and finding "That man"

Cleretic posted:

Persona 4 being set in highschool japan takes advantage of the fact that people call each other stuff like "Big Bro", "Senpai" and "Leader" unironically, and does a decent job of making sure pretty much the entire cast has something to call you too. Like you can tell they actually thought about how to do voice acting and real names.

SMT4 lets you name the main character but then the spinoff game Apocalypse is just like "gently caress it, his name is Flynn, everyone's gonna call him Flynn". Your main character in Apocalypse has a nickname that they refer to him by and the excuse is that the character name you use is your "Hunter Name"

Point is they've had 15 years to slowly figure this stuff out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slev posted:

If you want amazing voice acting go check out the dynasty warriors series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So a weird string of thoughts comparing MGS2 to FFX and specifically Raiden to Tidus and how it would be pretty neat to swap them around and what effect Tidus' insistence "this is my story" would have on MGS2's themes and ideas led me to this question.

Is Tidus constantly saying "this is my story" a dick thing to do? I don't think it's intended to be, it's probably just FFX continuing its tradition of being as subtle as a baseball bat to the face. But on the other hand, Tidus is pointedly a selfish jerk for some of the game. Furthermore, Yuna calls him out on this in Zanarkand (IIRC) and says it isn't just his story. (and he says this in the temple, after his actual story has ended)

It just kinda feels like "this is all about me" and that's a kind of rude thing to keep saying.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

So a weird string of thoughts comparing MGS2 to FFX and specifically Raiden to Tidus and how it would be pretty neat to swap them around and what effect Tidus' insistence "this is my story" would have on MGS2's themes and ideas led me to this question.

Is Tidus constantly saying "this is my story" a dick thing to do? I don't think it's intended to be, it's probably just FFX continuing its tradition of being as subtle as a baseball bat to the face. But on the other hand, Tidus is pointedly a selfish jerk for some of the game. Furthermore, Yuna calls him out on this in Zanarkand (IIRC) and says it isn't just his story. (and he says this in the temple, after his actual story has ended)

It just kinda feels like "this is all about me" and that's a kind of rude thing to keep saying.

It's something Auron planted in his head really. He kept telling Tidus it was his story until he believed it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Onmi posted:

It's something Auron planted in his head really. He kept telling Tidus it was his story until he believed it.

Yeah, it was basically Auron's way of calling him to action and pushing him to escape the shadow of his father. It comes off kind of weird sometimes but if you think of it as "this is my story (and not my dad's or our elders)" it makes more sense. This also jives well with Yuna telling him it's her and rest of the party's story too in order to remind him that they're all in this together. Just as he has helped them, they will help him face his own demons because they care about him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey spoilers your life is your story. Tidus isn't saying the whole of FFX was about him, just his own life. It was Auron's way to call him to action and it's Tidus's way of saying "I'm not gonna let some archaic rules or the powers that be keep me from doing something." You can see this because before the Yunalesca fight, where the party's will to take their lives into their own hands is tested fully Auron tells ALL of them 'This is YOUR story. Stand there and die or fight for a better tomorrow' because he's telling them to step up and make a decision and see it through.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So I've never played FFXII, but I liked Vagrant Story and Crimson Shroud which are both Matsuno deals, and he was apparently on board for like half of FFXII's development.

What's the scoop on this Zodiac Age thing coming up. Should I be interested in that at all? I heard the original game was a bit of a mess, but the Zodiac Job System or something cleaned it up?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

So I've never played FFXII, but I liked Vagrant Story and Crimson Shroud which are both Matsuno deals, and he was apparently on board for like half of FFXII's development.

What's the scoop on this Zodiac Age thing coming up. Should I be interested in that at all? I heard the original game was a bit of a mess, but the Zodiac Job System or something cleaned it up?

It's an HD remake you should definitely hold out for. Adds a job system that was in the International Zodiac Job System release. (See what they did there? :P)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

FFXII is probably Matsuno's weakest effort (especially since of the creative problems behind the scenes) but it's worth checking out. The ZJS improves the game but the things people really dislike about it are basked into the concept (weak story, automatable combat) so you liking/disliking it depends.