Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Which phone is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

It's a Nexus 6P!

Also I'm really excited about it and just pretending the Pixel isn't real until next year when I can maybe afford it :dance:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Unlock the bootloader, flash firmware NBD91K, then relock the device and enjoy your new used phone!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Duggler posted:

Is this obvious to see happening ? My pixel has been running so well I don't want to sabotage it with things like this
Kind of, Google Play Services was at the top of my battery usage and had a keep awake time that was equal to the time my phone was on, and when I opened AdGuard, the "Blocked Ads" counter was constantly (and quickly) going up.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Unlock the bootloader, flash firmware NBD91K, then relock the device and enjoy your new used phone!

Thank you!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Gone

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 4, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Anyone want a free pixel case? Pixel Case, Diztronic Full Matte Slim-Fit Flexible TPU Case for Google Pixel (2016) - (Matte Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4QY77R

I ordered the wrong one, I meant to get the xl size. It's red. Amazon return gives me like $3 back so not really worth it. Quote this post if you want it and I will send you contact info. I'm using the xl case now and should have bought one sooner. Fixed all my typos, this phone is drat slippery without a case

Dibs?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I continue to be ridiculously impressed with the Pixel's camera

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So I lost my phone last night and need to replace it ASAP. I'm looking around and found the Lenovo A Plus which is dirt cheap, and all I really need to be able to do is to check internet things occasionally, looking up directions and listening to stuff (podcasts, music, audiobooks), as well as of course basic phone stuff. I think a phone that can't play games would be a good thing in my life. Question is, am I likely to hate this thing within a month of use?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Woebin posted:

So I lost my phone last night and need to replace it ASAP. I'm looking around and found the Lenovo A Plus which is dirt cheap, and all I really need to be able to do is to check internet things occasionally, looking up directions and listening to stuff (podcasts, music, audiobooks), as well as of course basic phone stuff. I think a phone that can't play games would be a good thing in my life. Question is, am I likely to hate this thing within a month of use?

If it's this model then I'm not seeing 4G/LTE bands or a Gyroscope, so forget about fast speeds or Snapchat/Pokemon Go

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

If it's this model then I'm not seeing 4G/LTE bands or a Gyroscope, so forget about fast speeds or Snapchat/Pokemon Go
Both of those are things I don't use, so I guess that's fine? I'm not a network tech person really, would this limit wifi speeds too? That might be mildly annoying for, like, playing the Jackbox games or such.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Woebin posted:

Both of those are things I don't use, so I guess that's fine? I'm not a network tech person really, would this limit wifi speeds too? That might be mildly annoying for, like, playing the Jackbox games or such.

Lte bands are specific to cellular data and have no bearing on wifi

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Woebin posted:

That's an aggressively awful phone even if this were 2014. What carrier? Buy a 2nd gen Moto E for $10-60 from Best Buy or Walmart or somewhere if you need it today, or ideally get a Moto G4 with ads from Amazon for $130.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I'm thinking of picking up a Pixel, and I've found a few decent deals from people who took advantage of the Best Buy $240 thing. I've heard the Verizon models can only be updated with a Verizon sim card: is that true? If so, is there anything I can do about that to make it update on any network?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

motherbox posted:

: is that true?

No.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Is the Pixel XL still snappy after a month of usage + apps + pics + music +etc?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

Yes, I wouldn't expect otherwise, but it's still snappy as it was brand new.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Any particular reason why a Nexus 5X' Wifi is slow as gently caress without SIM card installed?

--edit: Nevermind, that was just a small burst coinciding with inserting a SIM card. It's slow as gently caress again, Play Store and other downloads. Surfing regular pages seems fast. The gently caress?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 4, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What's the consensus on the Google live cases?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

That's an aggressively awful phone even if this were 2014. What carrier? Buy a 2nd gen Moto E for $10-60 from Best Buy or Walmart or somewhere if you need it today, or ideally get a Moto G4 with ads from Amazon for $130.
I'm in Sweden and don't buy phones locked to a carrier, so that's not entirely relevant as an issue (and I should have specified, sorry). Anyway I basically figured at the low price I can't go wrong with this thing, in a worst case scenario I'd get something else to replace it and keep it around as a spare in case I lose another phone or a friend is in trouble or something. But yeah if the words "aggressively bad" are the ones that come to mind in describing it I guess I'll pass and find something else, thanks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

5436 posted:

Yep. Pretty crazy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Mine is nice, but not really worth the cost u less you really like customizing it. Beware that the colors shown in the preview don't really match the result. At least not with the maps - the preview online showed mine as being a dark blue, and came out purple. Not the end of the world since it still looks nice, but wasn't what I was expecting and a little disappointing for the cost.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I got the clear Google pixel XL case, put it on, then realized there was a hair under the the unfrosted part. In the process of getting the case back off, a corner of the plastic slipped under my thumbnail, leaving a big spot of blood under the nail. It hurt, but not so much I didn't forget about it fifteen minutes later and swirl my thumb around in solvent while cleaning my airbrush. It cleaned the blood spot out. Now it hurts to press my pixel's clicky, stiff power button. :saddowns:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I love how clicky the buttons are.

My s6 was like mush and the home button got stuck from day 2 of owning the phone

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I always found the buttons on the 6P to be too easy to hit. The buttons on the Pixel, especially the power button, border on stiff.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'd love to buy a Pixel for my wife and a Pixel XL for myself, if only they were in stock. Google, why can't you stock phones in Canada?! I've been waiting for over a month for stock!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the power button is sucker poo poo and you should be using the proximity sensor to turn your phone on

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Blue Train posted:

the power button is sucker poo poo and you should be using the proximityfingerprint sensor to turn your phone on
FTFY

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What about turning it off/sleeping it?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

What about turning it off/sleeping it?

Double tap home screen

E: if you don't want to install a different launcher that supports gestures then just turn the phone upside down lay it face up or cover the proximity sensor

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 5, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm pretty excited for today because my op3t has been held hostage at the post office all weekend because nobody was home to sign for delivery. Hopefully I can make it before they close today

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
In Android N, is there any way to disable notifications being grouped together? I tried googling it but all the results are about how Android N now groups notifications. None mention how to disable it.

If anyone cares about why I want this: I use Google Keep for reminders. I swipe them out in my notifications as I accomplish them. Unfortunately I now have five Keep notifications in my notifications area, but they are all grouped. Now I can't ungroup them and if I click on it, it brings me to Keep, shows me all of them, and this wipes all of my Keep notifications, meaning I will forget to do them.

Thank you for any help!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

In Android N, is there any way to disable notifications being grouped together? I tried googling it but all the results are about how Android N now groups notifications. None mention how to disable it.

If anyone cares about why I want this: I use Google Keep for reminders. I swipe them out in my notifications as I accomplish them. Unfortunately I now have five Keep notifications in my notifications area, but they are all grouped. Now I can't ungroup them and if I click on it, it brings me to Keep, shows me all of them, and this wipes all of my Keep notifications, meaning I will forget to do them.

Thank you for any help!

I don't use Keep, but Gmail also sort of groups notifications, but you can swipe down on individual cards and then deal with each individually. No idea if Keep is the same, but try swiping down on one of those Keep notifications and seeing if that 'ungroups' it so you can deal with it separately? Alternatively, maybe a Keep widget (I assume there is one!) on your homescreen, or setting appointments in Calendar that then notify you and that notification will stick around for at least a couple hours I'm pretty sure.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Thank you for any help!

Yeah, two finger swipe down on the notification. That should do what you want it to.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The two finger swipe thing does a modified version of expanding them. It's weird. I can then read all of the notifications but they still are grouped together so I can't individually swipe them away.

I used to use calendar for reminders but so many people told me it's ridiculous and I should be using keep. I guess it makes sense because there's no reason "remember to send Frank a thank you note" should be an event on my calendar but maybe I will have to.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

When I do it through google now it shows up in the calendar but in a special reminders thing rather than the calendar itself

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Double tap home screen

I miss being able to double tap my home screen to sleep my phone, but that locks the phone now and I'd have to put in my pattern each time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Iron Crowned posted:

Overpriced unless you really love the aesthetic of whatever you put on it.

Even then, still overpriced but at least you have a cool case and background. (I went with a Live Maps one, people think it's very cool.)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I really like the Spigen Liquid Crystal case right now. Minimal, clear TPU. Definitely not heavy duty if you're anticipating giving your phone Nokia Brick durability, but it's great basic protection if you don't want to add any unnecessary bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Thank you for any help!

Tested this myself and the problem is actually caused by Keep itself: Google purposely decided to merge multiple Keep notifications into one instead of going with the bundle style. Sounds like you actually wanted the Nougat automatic bundling of 4+ notifications (which would allow you to access the individual notifications) but that only happens when the developer doesn't specify.

The resolution is to a) sit and hope the Google apps G Suite division change their mind b) change your workflow to an actual To-do list app

If you go with the later Inbox is the least destructive, free option since it imports Keep reminders into its task list (together with a direct link into the note). Todoist is the best Material Design option if you want a completely clean break plus its reminder functionality would allow you to do a supercharged version of the notification-centric workflow you already have. Reminder/other functionality is dependent on a ~*paid yearly subscription*~ which for me has been absolutely worth it but might trigger you.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 5, 2016